PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season training

Pages : [1] 2

OLD SCRAGGer
15-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Anybody venture down to Pre-season training this morning? Might pop in tomorrow if I can

Twodogs
15-11-2010, 01:26 PM
I've driven past a couple of times but there wasnt anyone there. It was earlier this morning though.

LostDoggy
15-11-2010, 03:25 PM
I did a drive by and saw players tranning & a few people at the Pounf Cafe.

LostDoggy
15-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Just looked on Facebook first time in a while. and saw pics of the younger guys training. everyone else will join them next week

GVGjr
15-11-2010, 10:53 PM
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc320/GVGjr/DSC00878.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc320/GVGjr/DSC00879.jpg

comrade
15-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Is that Vez running next to Tutty?

It looks like Cam Lockwood is also training with the young guys too; a Willy funded rookie chance perhaps?

Exciting to see Mitch and Libba in the red, white and blue.

GVGjr
15-11-2010, 11:05 PM

Looks like Moles to me...I didn't take the photos they were sent to me.

LostDoggy
15-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Went down this morning, all hawked up for the 3rd Annual International Mohawk Day in splendid livery of red, white and blue. Watched the pups (all 14) jog a lap, do handball drills for 5 minutes then a triangle kicking drill for about the same. Good thing I didn't blink or I might have missed it.

Went into Bulldog Central, left tithe and left with singlet. Went to Pound to celebrate singlet with grilled Dory and chips with a Carlton Draught for lunch. Noice!

bulldogsman
16-11-2010, 09:57 AM

Vez is the one with the shaved head according to facebook.

A few more

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=251&stc=1&d=1289857826

Howard

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=252&stc=1&d=1289857845

Libba

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=253&stc=1&d=1289857860

Sherman

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=254&stc=1&d=1289857873

Veszpremi

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=255&stc=1&d=1289857886

Wallis

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=256&stc=1&d=1289858177

Djerrkura

Cyberdoggie
16-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Good to see the big guys out setting the pace (Roughead and Cordy).

The big men are traditionally the guys who brought up the rear in the 3km sessions etc.
Ie Street, Minson, Hudson.

LostDoggy
16-11-2010, 11:43 AM
Roughy looking good

Mofra
16-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Roughy looking good
Yup - the guy is a classic mesomorph (puts on weight easily) so to see him come back slim and running freely is a very good sign.

Twodogs
16-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Good to see the big guys out setting the pace (Roughead and Cordy).

The big men are traditionally the guys who brought up the rear in the 3km sessions etc.
Ie Street, Minson, Hudson.

Either that or some of the mids we have bought on in the last few years arent as quick as we hope they are!

Twodogs
16-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Went into Bulldog Central, left tithe and left with singlet. Went to Pound to celebrate singlet with grilled Dory and chips with a Carlton Draught for lunch. Noice!

Tithe? A tithe is a tax that used to get paid to the church back in medievel times. I know that we are fairly religous in our backing of the club but I didnt know we had to pay a tithe to it.:eek:

LostDoggy
16-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Yup - the guy is a classic mesomorph (puts on weight easily) so to see him come back slim and running freely is a very good sign.

Aaaaahhhh, so that's what I am!! :D

Dazza
16-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Cordy seems to be slowly getting there body wise. Heres hoping for no injuries in 2011.

Mofra
16-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Aaaaahhhh, so that's what I am!! :D
What's your field kicking like? :p

stefoid
16-11-2010, 03:03 PM

bughunt.

LostDoggy
16-11-2010, 04:53 PM
What's your field kicking like? :p

Pretty woeful. I can only kick torpedoes. :o

Twodogs
16-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Pretty woeful. I can only kick torpedoes. :o

So you can only kick the most complicated and hardest to master kick our game has?

OLD SCRAGGer
16-11-2010, 06:05 PM
Ventured down to Whitten Oval this morning. Talking to Monty and he said ONLY 10 players were back in OFFICIAL training, 14 more coming back Thursday and by Monday the whole list will be back :) However, Gia was training, Shaun Higgins, Lindsey Gilbee, Huddo came down, but didn't see them out on ground, maybe just did weights etc. Bobby Murphy was there with friends having coffee, and Dale Morris came down to get some KooGa gear. Can't wait til pre-season gets into full steam ahead:D:D

Raw Toast
16-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Work has taken me down to the Whitten oval the past two days and I've managed to glance out at a few sessions of training.

Didn't recognise everyone but impressed with Djerrkura who was leading the running today, and with him and Wallis who were getting around and encouraging the rest of the group as they recovered from each run.

Also interested to see them doing skills sessions so early.

chef
16-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Work has taken me down to the Whitten oval the past two days and I've managed to glance out at a few sessions of training.

Didn't recognise everyone but impressed with Djerrkura who was leading the running today, and with him and Wallis who were getting around and encouraging the rest of the group as they recovered from each run.

Also interested to see them doing skills sessions so early.

I like this, hopefully they are doing it under pressure(as close to match day as can be possible on the training track) as our ball skills let us down this year.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Tithe? A tithe is a tax that used to get paid to the church back in medievel times. I know that we are fairly religous in our backing of the club but I didnt know we had to pay a tithe to it.:eek:

So you shouldn't challenge DaDruid, he used the term with surgical precision. Don't forget that Druids had an apprenticeship of 30 years!!! at a time when most people didn't live much more than 30yrs. Druids are heavily religious and I bear their genes and am devoted to the Footscray Football Club aka, trading as......

jeemak
17-11-2010, 12:21 AM
I like this, hopefully they are doing it under pressure(as close to match day as can be possible on the training track) as our ball skills let us down this year.

I'd be disappointed if skills training wasn't of the whole training package from the beginning of pre-season.

There really isn't any point in just running and weights training these days, because without the skills training particularly under fatigue nobody would benefit.

LostDoggy
17-11-2010, 07:56 AM
So you shouldn't challenge DaDruid, he used the term with surgical precision. Don't forget that Druids had an apprenticeship of 30 years!!! at a time when most people didn't live much more than 30yrs. Druids are heavily religious and I bear their genes and am devoted to the Footscray Football Club aka, trading as......

Thank you, BIDS54. The Gods will not forget your defence of Druidry (and my use of English). As soon as I finish the study module on Advanced Alchemy for Druids (How to Make Gold From Lead). I'll send you a little something. Now where did I put that mortar and pestle? :);)

Mofra
17-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Everything you read about this kid just screams "born leader". Good signs to get some more vocal players on the list.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Thank you, BIDS54. The Gods will not forget your defence of Druidry (and my use of English). As soon as I finish the study module on Advanced Alchemy for Druids (How to Make Gold From Lead). I'll send you a little something. Now where did I put that mortar and pestle? :);)

Yeh well no hurry, but I wouldn't mind some gold leaf on my wood fired pizza oven to amaze my guests. I can lend you the pestle and mortar. Careful of the lead, nasty stuff. I suggest adding feldspar and the menstrual juice from a bulldog bitch.

EasternWest
17-11-2010, 11:56 PM
Quit waxing you two. It's like seeing Johnno and Bubba all over again.

The Coon Dog
21-11-2010, 06:36 PM
8.30am session tomorrow.

divvydan
21-11-2010, 07:59 PM
First full session of the preseason. Going to be difficult to get there from the other side of town in morning peak but will try.

Greystache
21-11-2010, 08:37 PM
8.30am session tomorrow.

Thanks TCD. I'm keen to get down to a training session this week, the NY Jets are on ONE HD at 9am tomorrow so I might have to make it another day. Any idea of other session times this week?

LostDoggy
22-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Thanks TCD. I'm keen to get down to a training session this week, the ]NY Jets are on ONE HD at 9am tomorrow [/B]so I might have to make it another day. Any idea of other session times this week?

Big screen tvs at the pound. Usually on fox1 or One HD

MrMahatma
22-11-2010, 03:23 AM
Ahhh - good to hear the boys are back into it. Sounds like we have a few motivated lads coming back early. And the new guys are putting in the yards.

Wish it was March already.

OLD SCRAGGer
22-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Saw ALL the "NEW" guys this morning, although they weren't out on track, they were being shown around by someone from club, then bundled into a car and went somewhere (was gonna follow, but thought STALKING was wrong :D) Tom Hill is a VERY NICE build of a lad... hope he plays as good as he looks!!!

The Coon Dog
22-11-2010, 05:05 PM
The 3 newbies.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/Picture018.jpg

The Underdog
22-11-2010, 05:16 PM
The 3 newbies.

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/TheCoonDog/Other%20stuff/Picture018.jpg

Our man Zephi's got some gun's

LostDoggy
22-11-2010, 05:21 PM
They all look well built

The Coon Dog
22-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Our man Zephi's got some gun's

And skinny legs! :eek:

Bulldog Joe
22-11-2010, 05:26 PM
The article (linked below) in another thread states that there was a time trial last week.
Does anyone have any ideas about times that were recorded.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/105496/default.aspx

The Bulldogs Bite
22-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Hill is pretty big already by the looks of a few photos. Seems as though he's built his body up a fair bit from the images of 1-2 years ago.

chef
23-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Is Ed Barlow(and any other players for that matter) training with the club, in hope of a rookie spot?

The Coon Dog
23-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Is Ed Barlow(and any other players for that matter) training with the club, in hope of a rookie spot?

Ed Barlow (Sydney) & Danny Hughes (Melbourne) are training in the hope of being rookied.

divvydan
23-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Don't mind the idea of Barlow training with us. Was disappointing in Sydney but is a big body and could potentially be a back-up key defender.

Not really sure what Hughes offers though, doesn't seem quick enough or versatile enough as a mid sized forward.

Throughandthrough
23-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Ed Barlow (Sydney) & Danny Hughes (Melbourne) are training in the hope of being rookied.

Wasn't Ed Barlow with the Crows?

(and spent a year playing reserves at Glenelg...?)

If not who am i thinking of?

Was dominating VFL last year and broke his leg?

Ed someone

edit: Ed Curnow

jazzadogs
23-11-2010, 03:08 PM
The Bulldogs facebook page has been really good recently in terms of posting pictures of the players during pre-season training. Few new pictures every couple of days, always makes me happy when that comes up on my news feed.

Didn't expect Zephi to be so built.

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 07:25 PM

Danny Hughes Or Daniel Hughes? Danny would be almost 50 by now

Desipura
24-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Danny Hughes Or Daniel Hughes? Danny would be almost 50 by now
With Lakey not into full training until mid Jan, Danny would move as fast as Lakey right now

LostDoggy
25-11-2010, 09:57 PM
With the weather not being conducive to selling a paper product in an outdoor location, I made my way down to training this morning. Boys did a warm-up inside the Elite Centre out of sight mostly. Came outside just after 9:30am. One obvious absentee was Minson who doing a p.a. out in the community (such a kind man underneath those marvellous muscles!). Counted 37 in total by the time the stragglers joined in and and a few others on light duties including Cooney, Hargrave and Tutt keeping the sidelines warm by moving around a little.

A lap, a few biomechanic lengths and straight into a 100m beep test. Missed who was out first (yakking :o), but several dropped in rapid succession whilst a few others (Hall, Hudson) were, I believe, told to pull up after several laps. Last 4 finishers were 4th Djkurra, equal 2nd Boyd and Cross who had both completed a lap but did not front up for the next, last to finish after doing another 3 laps was Barlow. Got a few high-fives for his effort and a rhyme from me. Honourable mentions go to Roughhead as last to finish out of the genuine talls, (and by a few beeps at that), and Hahn who did well to be close to last 10ish by the time he was done.

A quick watering and into some handball and kicking drills. Lots of talk and enthusiasm on show. Sharp hands were seen on Williams, Hooper, Djkurra and Cross. Accurate, targeted kicking by Howard, Griffin and Vespremi. Made their way back inside just before 11:00am. No injuries to report.

Hope this piece fills your minds with wistful dreams of success.

Bulldog4life
25-11-2010, 10:01 PM

It does:) Thanks for the write up.

chef
25-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Thanks DaDruid.

Greystache
25-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks DD great stuff. I'd heard about Barlow's aerobic capabilities before, pity there's not a lot of opportunities for 196cm midfielders. Perhaps rowing could be his go.

divvydan
25-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks DaDruid for the report.

Couple of questions.

1. I know Aidan O'Shea's article last year had Boyd doing 36 100m's for that beep test, any idea if Barlow's was close to that/more than that?
2. For yourself or others who attend; Club website doesn't say the times, are there regular training times (on the oval) on a daily/every second day basis?

EasternWest
25-11-2010, 11:01 PM
With the weather not being conducive to selling a paper product in an outdoor location, I made my way down to training this morning. Boys did a warm-up inside the Elite Centre out of sight mostly. Came outside just after 9:30am. One obvious absentee was Minson who doing a p.a. out in the community (such a kind man underneath those marvellous muscles!). Counted 37 in total by the time the stragglers joined in and and a few others on light duties including Cooney, Hargrave and Tutt keeping the sidelines warm by moving around a little.

A lap, a few biomechanic lengths and straight into a 100m beep test. Missed who was out first (yakking :o), but several dropped in rapid succession whilst a few others (Hall, Hudson) were, I believe, told to pull up after several laps. Last 4 finishers were 4th Djkurra, equal 2nd Boyd and Cross who had both completed a lap but did not front up for the next, last to finish after doing another 3 laps was Barlow. Got a few high-fives for his effort and a rhyme from me. Honourable mentions go to Roughhead as last to finish out of the genuine talls, (and by a few beeps at that), and Hahn who did well to be close to last 10ish by the time he was done.

A quick watering and into some handball and kicking drills. Lots of talk and enthusiasm on show. Sharp hands were seen on Williams, Hooper, Djkurra and Cross. Accurate, targeted kicking by Howard, Griffin and Vespremi. Made their way back inside just before 11:00am. No injuries to report.

It's like the world I love just crashed.

jazzadogs
26-11-2010, 01:50 AM
It's like the world I love just crashed.
Am I the only one who, when reading a misspelt name, immediately smiles at the thought of dfa4pm's reaction? It brightens my day.

Thanks for the write-up DaDruid!

LostDoggy
26-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Yes, thanks DaDruid - great write up. I was at the Pound for lunch Thursday week ago, and saw a few of the boys making a mess of lots of food! I always have a chuckle when I see Ayce Cordy who appears to have folded himself into the chair, munching away on a few toasties! Saw Griffen, Cooney, Higgins, Wallis, Libba, Roughy, and Tommygun - I think they were there to pick up their new gear. I assume only the younger guys had been out training that morning! Gee, I love the fact that I can go and have lunch and also get my fix of the boys! (Please don't take that the wrong way, I just mean it's seems a while since September :o) I'm lucky I don't work on a Thursday - yay!

EasternWest
26-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Am I the only one who, when reading a misspelt name, immediately smiles at the thought of dfa4pm's reaction? It brightens my day.

Thanks for the write-up DaDruid!

Heh heh. Actually I'm trying to be more understanding. But hearing it from DaDruid is like your favourite crazy uncle showing up at Christmas and telling you Santa's not real, or that wrestling's fake. Or even worse, Greedo shot first. How could he have shot first? He couldn't miss from there, could he? But I digress. The point is, it's life altering :D.

Maddog37
26-11-2010, 05:50 PM
DJ sounds like he is pretty fit. Hope he can get an injury free run at it this year. Might be a great pick up.....

aker39
27-11-2010, 05:16 PM
I was at the ground this morning and Gilbee looked to be struggling big time.

There was also a taller guy, didn't recognise him, who was tailed off by a long way. Anyone else that may have been there, he was the one wearing singlet with white hat backwards.

comrade
27-11-2010, 06:34 PM

There was also a taller guy, didn't recognise him, who was tailed off by a long way. Anyone else that may have been there, he was the one wearing singlet with white hat backwards.

Has he put some pudding on over the break?

LostDoggy
27-11-2010, 07:18 PM

Going through who was still out there after said backcap wearer went indoors, I think it might'have been Eddie Prato. Guy was tall, wasn't he?

aker39
28-11-2010, 01:07 AM
Guy was tall, wasn't he?

Yes he was

LostDoggy
28-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Yes he was

Might be Eddie then, had to do the quiet contemplation thing to work it all out, my grasshopper. ;)

Derg McDergs
29-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Look forward to seeing Libba's new hair cut at training. Impressive stuff

Mantis
02-12-2010, 09:38 AM
1. I know Aidan O'Shea's article last year had Boyd doing 36 100m's for that beep test, any idea if Barlow's was close to that/more than that?

Not sure, but last we only had 4 or 5 guys who could do over 30 x 100'm in this test.

This year we have around 25 who can, which either shows the guys are getting fitter or just get used to this test.

bulldogsman
02-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Some news in this article.

Dean said Morris, who made a brave recovery for the preliminary final after suffering a back fracture, was moving well while Wood had improved on his time trial results for the second year running.

Lindsay Gilbee has returned to training lighter than usual while the injury-prone Williams "needs a bridle" after resuming fully fit and ready to go.

Dylan Addison is also training well after doctors decided he didn't require the knee operation he was initially booked in for.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/105804/default.aspx

aker39
02-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Lindsay Gilbee has returned to training lighter than usual

Really????

soupman
02-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Really????

Good news. I thought he was a bit top heavy this year.

Daughter of the West
03-12-2010, 12:33 PM
I saw what I believe to be DFA at the Tan Track last night. :D He hadn't actually started running when I caught a glimpse, but I think he was walking to the start line.

Desipura
09-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Apparently Ayce Cordy was on one of the tv stations during the sports segment, they mentioned he was 101kgs, did anyone watch it? Anything else to report as I am getting the information second hand.

GVGjr
09-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Apparently Ayce Cordy was on one of the tv stations during the sports segment, they mentioned he was 101kgs, did anyone watch it? Anything else to report as I am getting the information second hand.
I replied to another one of you posts the other day advising that Cordy mentioned at the Barwon Bulldogs function that he was just over 100kg

Bulldog4life
09-12-2010, 01:44 PM

I saw that on the tv. He said he was 74 or 76 kilos when he arrived at the Club and has now cracked the 100 kilo mark.

Desipura
09-12-2010, 05:14 PM
I replied to another one of you posts the other day advising that Cordy mentioned at the Barwon Bulldogs function that he was just over 100kg
I know you did, I was asking whether anyone watched the segment and if there was anything else to report.

mighty_west
09-12-2010, 07:24 PM
I know you did, I was asking whether anyone watched the segment and if there was anything else to report.

Not alot, apart from the club generally suprised with Wallis & Libba not taking their fathers numbers, and that Steve Wallis wanted Mitch to forge his own career.

On tonights news, Barry Hall saying this would most likely be his last, and that he needs to play all 26 games with finals, GF etc to reach 300, he also chickened out of bunji jumping.

LostDoggy
10-12-2010, 01:01 PM
I think the news story with the Dogs in NZ is on the new OneHD website, but everything appears to be broken and the video wont play. Hopefully they fix it soon. I saw the second half of the segment, want to see the rest of it.

Has anyone been keeping an eye out on the Western Bulldogs tumblr page? They are posting pictures there.

Cyberdoggie
10-12-2010, 01:15 PM
I saw that on the tv. He said he was 74 or 76 kilos when he arrived at the Club and has now cracked the 100 kilo mark.

In his diary blog on the dogs website he mentions he was looking forward to a traditional Maori dinner and was hoping to out eat the president of the big man eating club Will "soy milk" Minson.

With a healthy appetitie it's not surprising he's put the weight on. He has definately filled out, just needs a lot more muscle.

The Coon Dog
14-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Training this week:

16/12 Thursday 10am
18/12 Saturday 9.30am

gohardorgohome
14-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Is this Saturday the last session before the Xmas break? I hope not. I have next week off and was thinking of checking training out.

OLD SCRAGGer
14-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Is this Saturday the last session before the Xmas break? I hope not. I have next week off and was thinking of checking training out.

YEP, finish up this Saturday & return January 4 2011

The Coon Dog
03-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Tue 4 Jan - 9.15am at Princes Park (3.2km run) then back to the club for weights & skills.
Wed-Sat Training at the Whitten Oval.

Following week - every day except Sun & Wed at Whitten Oval.

The football sessions start at about 9.30am & are Tue, Thu & Sat.

ledge
03-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Silly question but why do they go to princes park to run ?
Cant they do it at Whitten Oval is there some sort of disease around the boundary?

AndrewP6
03-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Cant they do it at Whitten Oval is there some sort of disease around the boundary?

I'm only guessing, but maybe simply a change of scenery - running in circles(ovals :) ) over and over certainly can get boring...

jazzadogs
03-01-2011, 08:03 PM
I think for time trials especially it's good to have a course set out which is both suitable for running, and isn't likely to change, so it can be used for re-testing. Running around in circles is certainly boring, and harder to police number of laps than just saying 'do one lap of this 3.2km course'.

The change of scenery would probably play a small role as well.

The Coon Dog
04-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Tue 4 Jan - 9.15am at Princes Park (3.2km run) then back to the club for weights & skills.
Wed-Sat Training at the Whitten Oval.

Following week - every day except Sun & Wed at Whitten Oval.

The football sessions start at about 9.30am & are Tue, Thu & Sat.

Might be an opportunity for those with kids to take them down if they are off work.

The Underdog
04-01-2011, 10:31 AM

They run around the park itself not the actual football ground. Same as teams run around the Tan.

Sockeye Salmon
04-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm guessing it's because they have done Princes Park for a while and they use previous years results as a baseline to judge how everyone is going

Mantis
05-01-2011, 09:59 AM
I have been able to source some information about how our players (most of them anyway) are going with their training so if anyone has a question on a particular player ask away.

Mofra
05-01-2011, 10:08 AM
A general question Mantis - is Cordy running with the main group and/or is he on a modified program?

Mantis
05-01-2011, 10:40 AM
A general question Mantis - is Cordy running with the main group and/or is he on a modified program?

Not sure on what happened yesterday, but pre-xmas he was on a slightly modified program, but was still getting plenty of miles into his legs.

Go_Dogs
05-01-2011, 11:06 AM
How are our in-coming trades looking, in Sherman, Djerrkura and Veszpremi - and any possible indications on where they might slot in to the line up?

Bulldog Joe
05-01-2011, 11:11 AM
I would be keen to know how Howard and Tutt, as second year players expected to be runners, performed in the time trial.

Mantis
05-01-2011, 11:21 AM
How are our in-coming trades looking, in Sherman, Djerrkura and Veszpremi - and any possible indications on where they might slot in to the line up?

Both Sherman & Djerrkura have impressed with their endurance, Sherman ran a good TT yesterday. Veszpremi is also training well.

Not sure on the positions, I guess we will see more as the pre-season progresses, but it's probably fair to assume they will play in the same positions as at previous clubs.

I would be keen to know how Howard and Tutt, as second year players expected to be runners, performed in the time trial.

Both performed very well and are running well with the 'elite' group. Howard came about 6th and Tutt was in the top 12.

Positions 5 thru 14 were only seperated by about 10sec so it was very competitive.

Charlie the Wonder Dog
05-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the offer Mantis, its very good of you.

I'm keen to hear how Gilbee is travelling, there was some talk on here about him losing some weight.....is he training with the main group currently?

Also Mr Hall, a years a long time hows he travelling?

many thanks

Desipura
05-01-2011, 11:41 AM
I have been able to source some information about how our players (most of them anyway) are going with their training so if anyone has a question on a particular player ask away.
Anyone come back overwieght? Which leads me to my next question, how did Josh Hill come back looking?

Mantis
05-01-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm keen to hear how Gilbee is travelling, there was some talk on here about him losing some weight.....is he training with the main group currently?

Also Mr Hall, a years a long time hows he travelling?

Gilbee- training very well, he ran well in the TT yesterday and the clubs very happy with the way he is attacking this pre-season.

Hall - I don't think he is doing a lot, but Barry being the ultra professional I don't think he has to.

Anyone come back overwieght? Which leads me to my next question, how did Josh Hill come back looking?

Hill trained very strongly in the lead up to the xmas break, but he was a bit off his best time yesterday so I guess it's hoped he can pick it up over the next few months in the lead up to season proper.

Re. overweight - I think all are in pretty good shape, but I did hear that Hooper is struggling a little which may have been as a result of some niggles in the hammies which might be holding him back.

Maddog37
05-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Mantis, how are DFA and Liam Picken going?

AndrewP6
05-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks Mantis, good to read of the positives...

Mantis
05-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Mantis, how are DFA and Liam Picken going?

Both are training well, Picken finished top 5 in yesterdays TT and compared to last pre-season he seems to be a much improved runner.

soupman
05-01-2011, 02:17 PM
How about all the draftee's (inclusive of Mitch Hahn)?

LostDoggy
05-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Great feed back Mantis. Great to know what going on down there! Thx a bunch :)

Any of the Fringe kids training the house down? Any unlikly debuets?

Mantis
05-01-2011, 03:50 PM
How about all the draftee's (inclusive of Mitch Hahn)?

All of Schofield, Johannissen & Dahlhaus are on fairly light programs and aren't being rushed. The 1st 2 had slight niggles going into the xmas break, but participated in yesterday's TT. Not sure on T.Hill, but he was in full training pre-xmas.

Any of the Fringe kids training the house down? Any unlikly debuets?

Fringe??

Of the 1st year players Libba & Wallis are training very well and are much further advanced than the other 1st year players.

divvydan
05-01-2011, 04:05 PM
For Mantis or others who might know.

Hargrave had a bone in his foot fused over the offseason and was reportedly still using crutches yesterday. Given what happened to Croad and Egan in recent years, is the club genuinely concerned about Ryan being able to come back and when do they expect he'll be able to start running?

LostDoggy
05-01-2011, 04:07 PM
Players like Reid, Moles, Stack, Hopper, Panos. Any of these guys lookig the goods to cement a starting 21 spot

Mantis
05-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Players like Reid, Moles, Stack, Hopper, Panos. Any of these guys lookig the goods to cement a starting 21 spot

It is probably a bit early to tell, but here goes.

Reid is still on a limited program coming back from double shoulder surgery.

Moles, Panos & Stack are training well, but how they perform in practice matches will determine if they secure a spot... Panos is still on the rookie list so will only get a chance if injury strikes.

From what I have seen so far Hooper isn't in the best of shape and will really have to knuckle down if he wants to gain selection in the early part of the season.

KT31
05-01-2011, 06:07 PM

Moles, Panos & Stack are training well, but how they perform in practice matches will determine if they secure a spot... Panos is still on the rookie list so will only get a chance if injury strikes.

From what I have seen so far Hooper isn't in the best of shape and will really have to knuckle down if he wants to gain selection in the early part of the season.

Is this from a injury or to much Christmas fare ?

Disapointing if it is from over indulging over the break.

jeemak
06-01-2011, 01:44 AM
Thanks Mantis, great reading.

On Princess Park as a trial venue. It's a good place to run a time trial, relatively flat and different scenery for the players, and no lapping so it's easy to keep times.

Mantis
06-01-2011, 08:22 AM
For Mantis or others who might know.

Hargrave had a bone in his foot fused over the offseason and was reportedly still using crutches yesterday. Given what happened to Croad and Egan in recent years, is the club genuinely concerned about Ryan being able to come back and when do they expect he'll be able to start running?

I don't know.... I will try and chase up an answer over the coming weeks.

Is this from a injury or to much Christmas fare ?

Disapointing if it is from over indulging over the break.

He was nursing a tight hammy at a session I went to pre-xmas which might be holding him back, but it's fair to say with his body shape it won't take much to fall off the pace.

LostDoggy
06-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Mantis, how is Jarrad Grant looking? Is he showing some intensity and determination to build on last year?It's easy for a player to fall into "second year blues" after a breakout season like he had last year.

Mantis
06-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Mantis, how is Jarrad Grant looking? Is he showing some intensity and determination to build on last year? It's easy for a player to fall into "second year blues" after a breakout season like he had last year.

Reports I have heard are very positive.

The coaching & conditioning staff were very happy with the TT he ran on Tuesday and although he will never be an endurance athlete he is showing good improvement considering he was pretty much hopeless in this department just a couple of years ago.

LostDoggy
06-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Mantis - Tom Williams, is he injury free and running well?

Mantis
06-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Mantis - Tom Williams, is he injury free and running well?

He didn't train when I watched before xmas due to a niggle, but he ran in the TT and ran well - Pretty sure he finished in the top 10.

bulldogsman
06-01-2011, 03:33 PM
This is good stuff Mantis.

How are our backup tall defenders going (Mulligan & Markovic)? Coaching staff happy so far?

Raw Toast
06-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Ambled down to the Whitten Oval this morning with my two young uns.

Don't have too much to report. They spent the first 45 min or so doing a set of different fitness and agility tasks in groups, including the sandpit, a bit of outdoors tennis, and pulling others along in a harness. A few of these also involved some ball skills.

Then onto some footy skills training with one on three contests where one player in the middle tried to get the ball of three handballing players who had to remain fairly stationary with the player in the middle dashing about madly. Then some kicking drills (and then I was dragged off to the playground).

Cooney didn't participate in the first lot, but did with the footy skills (as did Barry). Lake was unsighted. Minson looks very trim and athletic, Murphy was silk as usual, Skinner was impressive in the kicking drills but as has already been noted, is still building his fitness. Wallis is most impressive. Higgins looks very fit and focussed. Cross was a machine of concentration as per usual.

chef
06-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks Mantis and Raw Toast.

Greystache
06-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Ambled down to the Whitten Oval this morning with my two young uns.

Don't have too much to report. They spent the first 45 min or so doing a set of different fitness and agility tasks in groups, including the sandpit, a bit of outdoors tennis, and pulling others along in a harness. A few of these also involved some ball skills.

Then onto some footy skills training with one on three contests where one player in the middle tried to get the ball of three handballing players who had to remain fairly stationary with the player in the middle dashing about madly. Then some kicking drills (and then I was dragged off to the playground).

Cooney didn't participate in the first lot, but did with the footy skills (as did Barry). Lake was unsighted. Minson looks very trim and athletic, Murphy was silk as usual, Skinner was impressive in the kicking drills but as has already been noted, is still building his fitness. Wallis is most impressive. Higgins looks very fit and focussed. Cross was a machine of concentration as per usual.

Were you the guy with the Ben Hudson T-shirt and a beard?

Raw Toast
06-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Were you the guy with the Ben Hudson T-shirt and a beard?

Guilty as charged. Which one were you?

Greystache
06-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Guilty as charged. Which one were you?

Tall guy, late 20's, blue t-shirt and sunglasses who said hi to you. Would've stopped for a chat had I known.

Raw Toast
06-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Tall guy, late 20's, blue t-shirt and sunglasses who said hi to you. Would've stopped for a chat had I known.

Next time (the young uns enjoyed it enough for us to do it all again - I get browny points for taking the kids, and hopefully entrench the one true faith).

What did you think of the training session?

Greystache
06-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Next time (the young uns enjoyed it enough for us to do it all again - I get browny points for taking the kids, and hopefully entrench the one true faith).

What did you think of the training session?

I'm on leave at the moment so I'll probably drop in again.

Interesting, wasn't a huge amount of ball work, and no game simulation, but watching the agility work in the sand pit was good. I kept an eye on some of the less seasoned guys to see how gruelling it was, young Libba was spent after just a few minutes. The resistance running on a day like this was burtal. The tennis game looked a bit funny.

Howard stood out for me, his skills are superb and his running capacity looks good. He's still skinny but I think we might see him debut this year. Wallis looks a smooth mover who knows what to do. I thought Panos looks a lot fitter too. The other one for me is Mulligan looks like a bloke lost among a group of AFL footballers, really stands out.

divvydan
07-01-2011, 12:37 AM
I do remember prior to their trip to NZ that there was full oval situation simulation and Collingwood staff, inc Bucks, were watching so maybe they're being more cautious about doing it so openly. Either that or it just wasn't on the list of things to do that day.

Also, were exactly is the sand pit, I don't recall having seen it in person.

AndrewP6
07-01-2011, 01:25 AM
I do remember prior to their trip to NZ that there was full oval situation simulation and Collingwood staff, inc Bucks, were watching so maybe they're being more cautious about doing it so openly. Either that or it just wasn't on the list of things to do that day.

Also, were exactly is the sand pit, I don't recall having seen it in person.

IIRC it's just to the left of the Mission Elite Learning Centre.

EDIT: Found this pic, I think that's the sandpit in the lower left of the image.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/Portals/0/images_bulldogs/outside%20ELC%20300.JPG

Greystache
07-01-2011, 01:49 AM
[/B]
IIRC it's just to the left of the Mission Elite Learning Centre.

EDIT: Found this pic, I think that's the sandpit in the lower left of the image.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/Portals/0/images_bulldogs/outside%20ELC%20300.JPG

You can't see it in that photo. If you're looking at the Elite Learning Centre it's just to the left of the door near the Whitten stand. It's where there's a green square in that photo.

LostDoggy
07-01-2011, 11:22 AM

Once again cheers :)

LostDoggy
07-01-2011, 11:50 AM
The sandpit is immediately outside the Elite Training Centre as you approach from centre wing. It might've had a big tarpaulin over the top of it (to keep foreign objects out).

LostDoggy
07-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Greystache, you make me feel inadequate sometimes. You sure you don't have a site map handy?

The Underdog
07-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Considerng taking the kids down tomorrow. As I haven't been there for about 8 years two questions
1.Is there still parking there?
2.Is training definitely on tomorrow morning? (couldn't see anything on the website)

divvydan
07-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Considerng taking the kids down tomorrow. As I haven't been there for about 8 years two questions
1.Is there still parking there?
2.Is training definitely on tomorrow morning? (couldn't see anything on the website)

As far as I know it's still on tomorrow morning, weather will be warm and windy but not enough to have them change the session.

As for parking, there is still parking there. There is the main carpark section which was always there. Additionally, there's parking in front of and around the side of the new creche, as well as parking along the entrance way itself. If those are all taken, there can also be spots along Hocking Street.

The Underdog
07-01-2011, 03:53 PM
As far as I know it's still on tomorrow morning, weather will be warm and windy but not enough to have them change the session.

As for parking, there is still parking there. There is the main carpark section which was always there. Additionally, there's parking in front of and around the side of the new creche, as well as parking along the entrance way itself. If those are all taken, there can also be spots along Hocking Street.

Ta, I think the last time I made it down was for a practice match against Richmond.

Desipura
07-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Ta, I think the last time I made it down was for a practice match against Richmond.

I remember that one, about 8 years ago, fair crowd in attendance

LostDoggy
07-01-2011, 04:40 PM
I remember that one, about 8 years ago, fair crowd in attendance

If its the same practice match I remember, it was stinking hot and sunny. I think I still have the t-shirt marks from the sunburn I got that day sitting in the sun.

Mantis
07-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Training is definitely on tomorrow.

Warm-up starts at 9am with training kicking off at about 9.20.

GVGjr
08-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Went along this morning for a look.

Cooney just running along the ground on the members side only. Looked very toned.
Cross and Barlow prominent in the running drills.
Hooper trained with the majority of the taller blokes in one session and looked out of place.
Wallis and Libertore not out of place during the kicking skills but lack a bit of power.
Veszpremi struggled with the running. Picken looked sharp.
Morris was barking out instructions to his group.
Minson, Hudson, Cordy and Roughead all looked in good condition. Roughead participated in some spirited bumping drills which indicates to me that his shoulder is feeling stronger.
Skinner not great in the runs but OK in the drills.
Tom Hill moved well. Williams did some running but was mainly in the bike back on the ELT.

I'll write up some more soon.

comrade
08-01-2011, 01:22 PM
Cheers GVG - it would've looked funny seeing Hooper run around with the big boys.

It's no suprise that Zeph is battling through the running drills. As long as his team mates and the coaching staff continue to support him, he'll get to the required level.

GVGjr
08-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Cheers GVG - it would've looked funny seeing Hooper run around with the big boys.

It's no suprise that Zeph is battling through the running drills. As long as his team mates and the coaching staff continue to support him, he'll get to the required level.

Just so others know, it was just an observation of mine not a criticism of Skinner.
As you have correctly pointed out, it is to be expected that he currently won't be the most prominent of runners on the list.

GVGjr
08-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Panos is substantially leaner than when he first arrived. This should help him with his mobility.
Hall was a later starter to the track but moved very well.
Gilbee looks like he has dropped some kg but didn't seem to be moving that freely.
Jones has added some definition to his upper body but there is some more work to do. Kicked the ball OK during the drills.
Reid looks to be in far better condition than 12 months ago which is to be expected.
Moles, Addison, Murphy, Hill, Stack, Boyd, Mulligan were all on the track.

Sorry I have missed so many but I should have taken something to write on.

Go_Dogs
08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Panos is substantially leaner than when he first arrived. This should help him with his mobility.

Could Panos become an answer to our tall defender woes?

Thank you very much for your reports. Always great to get a feel of how everyone is travelling at this stage of the year.

GVGjr
08-01-2011, 03:18 PM
Could Panos become an answer to our tall defender woes?

It was very hard to watch training today as it spread around the ground so it was hard to gauge if his running had substantially improved or not but I don't think he is a genuine defender.

The Underdog
08-01-2011, 03:33 PM
I went along for a look this morning but in the time between listening to my daughter whinge and applying sunscreen to my kids I spent most of the time trying to identify half of the players. It was hot and windy so the ball drills were a bit sloppy. I thought Griff looked lean and moved really well. Aside from that I think GVG has covered anything I could have, well and truly.
I also thought Cordy looked good, he laid a nice shepherd in one of the end to end drills.

Ghost Dog
08-01-2011, 03:45 PM

Wonder what they are doing with his housing situation and that kind of support? all helps

The Underdog
08-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Hooper trained with the majority of the taller blokes in one session and looked out of place.

One thing that struck me was how short Hooper, Dahlhaus and Tutt look next to the "normals".

ledge
08-01-2011, 04:18 PM
One thing that struck me was how short Hooper, Dahlhaus and Tutt look next to the "normals".

Nothing like a few in and under players, always hard at the ball those little guys.
Get in hard, get the pill and dish it out quick as lightning!

Desipura
08-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Nothing like a few in and under players, always hard at the ball those little guys.
Get in hard, get the pill and dish it out quick as lightning!
I'm of the opinion if you are very small you would want to have an outstanding feature to your game ie pace or can get a lot of the footy.
Hence why I am not that confident hoops can make it.

LostDoggy
08-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Hall was a later starter to the track but moved very well.
Gilbee looks like he has dropped some kg but didn't seem to be moving that freely.
Jones has added some definition to his upper body but there is some more work to do. Kicked the ball OK during the drills.
Reid looks to be in far better condition than 12 months ago which is to be expected.
Moles, Addison, Murphy, Hill, Stack, Boyd, Mulligan were all on the track.

Sorry I have missed so many but I should have taken something to write on.

I noticed that Panos seemed to strain his hammy chasing Hall on a led, run strait in side holding his hammy area, hopefully its nothing

Ghost Dog
08-01-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm of the opinion if you are very small you would want to have an outstanding feature to your game ie pace or can get a lot of the footy.

Bit early to write him off isn't it? Point to the success of Collingwood, bringing in some very small but mobile VFL players who showed a bit.

Swoop
08-01-2011, 07:07 PM
I also went along this morning, most things have already been covered but I wanted to mention that you can't help but be impressed with the way young Mitch Wallis attacks his training. There's no doubt he will get an opportunity to play some games throughout the year.

Mantis
08-01-2011, 07:20 PM
I also popped in for an hour this morning.. Caught up with a couple of WOOF'ers which was good.

Cooney looked good, ran a few laps followed by the few run throughs GVG described. I did hear that he is much further advanced than they thought he would be which is 'very pleasing'.

Tutt, Sherman & Williams were on light duties due to being a little shin sore... They were up north during the break and ran on hard surfaces due to the rain. Will be back into it next week.

I did hear that the club will give us an update on Hargrave next week.

GVGjr
08-01-2011, 07:35 PM
I did hear that the club will give us an update on Hargrave next week.

Not sounding good. I'm hearing he will miss the first half of the season.

chef
08-01-2011, 07:37 PM

Not good news, hopefully he'll be fully fit come September.

GVGjr
08-01-2011, 08:15 PM

Not to forget Johannissen who is also very small in frame.

Desipura
08-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Bit early to write him off isn't it? Point to the success of Collingwood, bringing in some very small but mobile VFL players who showed a bit.

Not writing him off, just not confident. Mobile is the key word.

AndrewP6
08-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Jeez, the footy gods are already p***ed with us...

Maddog37
08-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Might be part of the reason we rookied barlow?

Happy Days
08-01-2011, 09:08 PM

Saw him today in Williamstown with some kind of protection on his leg, didn't look too flash.

divvydan
08-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Maybe this isn't the thread to discuss options if indeed this is true about Hargrave but I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy is used to cover the loss of Hargrave. Also noticed in the full ground exercises that Skinner was playing as a defender, might not be related to this, they might just be wanting to teach him different roles.

Ghost Dog
08-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Not writing him off, just not confident. Mobile is the key word.

yes Desipura - I do see your point. Well, he has Libba as an example and it will take every inch of his best efforts for the inches he lacks :)

Gah! Hargrave! :(
So it goes. Thanks to all those who attended training to give their insights.

Pickenitup
10-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Any one know if the boys are training tomorrow?

OLD SCRAGGer
10-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Any one know if the boys are training tomorrow?

Sure HOPE so, we're going down for breaky and to watch them train :)

Mofra
10-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Maybe this isn't the thread to discuss options if indeed this is true about Hargrave but I wouldn't be surprised if Murphy is used to cover the loss of Hargrave.
Even with Shaggy fit I'd expect Murphy to play as a defender, as he did most of last year. Seems the switch is permanent.
If Gilbee is still best 22 come round 1 we'll be okay in defence with more than enough options to fill the back 6 in Shaggy's absence.

OLD SCRAGGer
10-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Apparently because of TOXIC fumes from Carpet Factory Fire in Cowper Street, boys are training dowm at Willy this morning... must be a darn big fire:eek:

Mofra
10-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Apparently because of TOXIC fumes from Carpet Factory Fire in Cowper Street, boys are training dowm at Willy this morning... must be a darn big fire:eek:
There was a massive plume as I wondered down the a gym in Kensington this morning, news report later said they had 30 crews there :eek:

I'm glad the club take a conservative approach to this sort of thing.

stefoid
10-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Even with Shaggy fit I'd expect Murphy to play as a defender, as he did most of last year. Seems the switch is permanent.
If Gilbee is still best 22 come round 1 we'll be okay in defence with more than enough options to fill the back 6 in Shaggy's absence.

Agreed. Having brave and creative players carrying the ball out of defence is essential, and Murph is one of the few on our team who qualifies. Besides, we have a plethora of tall forwards.

Mofra
10-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Agreed. Having brave and creative players carrying the ball out of defence is essential, and Murph is one of the few on our team who qualifies. Besides, we have a plethora of tall forwards.
Agree; and I really wanted to quote the bolded bit, it's been a while :)

Sockeye Salmon
10-01-2011, 02:14 PM

No we don't.

If Hall breaks down we will be relying on Grant and Jones.

chef
10-01-2011, 02:21 PM
No we don't.

Yep, ATM moment only Hall is a proven tall forward(but we do have a lot of potential T/F's).

Ghost Dog
10-01-2011, 04:26 PM
I think we have taken Barry for Granted quite a bit - his ability to draw defenders and second efforts were outstanding last season.
We may be able to replace him but whoever it is will never draw the amount of defenders Barry is able to.
If we can, like to see him rested a little more for key games.

LostDoggy
10-01-2011, 04:27 PM
No we don't.

I have put some thought into how our forward line would look going into a game without Barry Hall. Out of the many and varied options we could go with, the one I'd most like to see is as follows;

FF line: Hooper Grant Cordy

HF line: Giansiracusa Jones Higgins

I have also put some thought into how this combination would function and this is what I envisage. (No chemical substances were used in creating this vision because Coopers Pale Ale does not count!)

Gia and Missy will play the flanks in a fairly traditional style where whoever is on the possession side of the ground leads up whilst the flank on the non-possession side would creep goalside along the boundary to time a lead for the next possession. Jonesy would lead into any space he has in front and that vacated by the leading flanker who is now in possession forward of the wing.
Depending on what option Gia/Missy takes, you could see a short kick to Jones, a long kick to the long lead of Grant who, having burnt off his direct opponent with his pace over first 20m, runs into space made by Jones and the flanker in possession. There could even be a handball to a player like Griffen, Murphy, Gilbee or even Howard running past for long bomb to Cordy one-on-one goal squarish on a more-than-likely shorter opponent. Hoops would be getting himself in a position to crumb for Cordy or the other flanker leading into the 50 from the defensive side of the ground to create an extra goalsneak option. Hoops would also be valued highly for his leading role in the forward defensive pessure efforts.

Just a thought. Love to hear yours.

Mofra
10-01-2011, 04:36 PM
^ Interesting you have Hooper & Cordy in there, I probably would have leaned towards Vez & Roughie (as resting ruckman) ahead of those two, but time will tell.

mjp
10-01-2011, 06:51 PM
[/I][/B]
I have put some thought into how our forward line would look going into a game without Barry Hall. Out of the many and varied options we could go with, the one I'd most like to see is as follows;

I have also put some thought into how this combination would function and this is what I envisage. (No chemical substances were used in creating this vision because Coopers Pale Ale does not count!)

Gia and Missy will play the flanks in a fairly traditional style where whoever is on the possession side of the ground leads up whilst the flank on the non-possession side would creep goalside along the boundary to time a lead for the next possession. Jonesy would lead into any space he has in front and that vacated by the leading flanker who is now in possession forward of the wing.
Depending on what option Gia/Missy takes, you could see a short kick to Jones, a long kick to the long lead of Grant who, having burnt off his direct opponent with his pace over first 20m, runs into space made by Jones and the flanker in possession. There could even be a handball to a player like Griffen, Murphy, Gilbee or even Howard running past for long bomb to Cordy one-on-one goal squarish on a more-than-likely shorter opponent. Hoops would be getting himself in a position to crumb for Cordy or the other flanker leading into the 50 from the defensive side of the ground to create an extra goalsneak option. Hoops would also be valued highly for his leading role in the forward defensive pessure efforts.

No way will we play that way though DaDruid. We will have at MOST 4 - more likely 3 - players in the forward line. Both the half-forward flankers will play high as extra mids - one role shared by Gia/Higgins with the other spot up for grabs, with it being fairly probably one other will have defensive duties (Addison???) on a running half back and could therefore be anywhere.

We will have Grant and Hall down there and our best crumber - you have voted Hooper from what I can see. I would think on talent alone Veszpremi would be the man but only time can tell...I imagine Stack thinks it will be him, and Hill thinks he should be down there...of the two if Hill can play like he did at the start of 2009 there will be a spot for him.

Desipura
11-01-2011, 11:42 AM
[/I][/B]

Hooper and Cordy will be lucky to play 6 games between them this year. That would have to be the slowest forward line we could come up with.
Take out Hooper (I know that will hurt you :D) and Cordy who will most likely play only a few games with Veszpremi (you dont recuit a 21yo forward pocket specialist for nothing) and perhaps Djerkurra in a defensive forward role.

LostDoggy
11-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Here are some vids I've posted from last Thursday morning's session. Sorry about the shakiness, filmed on my iPhone 4.

http://www.twitvid.com/Q3MLI
http://www.twitvid.com/ZHNGX

Mr.1975
11-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Here are some vids I've posted from last Thursday morning's session. Sorry about the shakiness, filmed on my iPhone 4.

Good little Vids, Thanks! :)

LostDoggy
13-01-2011, 10:14 AM

Thanks BAS - good to watch. Tell me, who was that guy running like lightening down to the Geelong Road end in your 2nd video? You did comment how fast he was?

stefoid
13-01-2011, 10:53 AM
No we don't.

Geez, greedy. Two years ago our tall forward options consisted of ... Minson.

Now we have Hall, Grant, Jones and Roughead, any of whom are better options.

OK, its a poor mans plethora, but Im pretty happy with it.

LostDoggy
13-01-2011, 11:47 AM

It's not that shaky

THanks for the uploads

Greystache
13-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks BAS - good to watch. Tell me, who was that guy running like lightening down to the Geelong Road end in your 2nd video? You did comment how fast he was?

Luke Dahlhaus

divvydan
13-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Little bit of rain around this morning at training :p

Missing were (according to my eyes) Lake, Hargrave, Hall, Cross, Stack, Prato, Sherman and Reid. Did see Sherman later so he must've been inside.

Cooney and Williams ran laps.

Very wet conditions out there today, skills were quite poor as a result but most of the drills were ball handling, skill based type drills, good practice in those conditions.

There was no match practice/simulation today, nor any real running. Intensity wise, Picken was the best out there but his hands were very poor when marking the ball.

One thing I did notice, was that most of the players, Picken included, were still trying to mark the ball with hands out in front. Not sure if that was under instruction or not really adjusting to the conditions.

Everyone I haven't mentioned trained fully, except Ward who did about 75% of the session, then went off and had a kick to kick with Cooney for a while.

One thing I should mention is that with the conditions and with many players wearing hats, it was hard telling people apart.

Ozza
13-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Little bit of rain around this morning at training :p

Missing were (according to my eyes) Lake, Hargrave, Hall, Cross, Stack, Prato, Sherman and Reid. Did see Sherman later so he must've been inside.

Cooney and Williams ran laps.

Very wet conditions out there today, skills were quite poor as a result but most of the drills were ball handling, skill based type drills, good practice in those conditions.

There was no match practice/simulation today, nor any real running. Intensity wise, Picken was the best out there but his hands were very poor when marking the ball.

One thing I did notice, was that most of the players, Picken included, were still trying to mark the ball with hands out in front. Not sure if that was under instruction or not really adjusting to the conditions.
Everyone I haven't mentioned trained fully, except Ward who did about 75% of the session, then went off and had a kick to kick with Cooney for a while.

One thing I should mention is that with the conditions and with many players wearing hats, it was hard telling people apart.

One thing that I've always had drilled into me - is that you never take chest marks at training...you use it as an opportunity to mark out in front or above your head always.

Thanks for the update/rundown btw....good to hear they are easing Ward into it a bit.

divvydan
13-01-2011, 05:10 PM
One thing that I've always had drilled into me - is that you never take chest marks at training...you use it as an opportunity to mark out in front or above your head always.

Thanks for the update/rundown btw....good to hear they are easing Ward into it a bit.

Yeah, I figured that was probably the case, did make for some ugly viewing though as it's clear many of the players just aren't at home in the wet.

Given it was still warm and humid, I wondered if it made Skinner feel like he was back home during the rainy season.

Cyberdoggie
13-01-2011, 06:27 PM

Hoops is particularly fast over 20m. Tested very highly at draft camp,
but you would expect him to be quick with his little legs over 20m in the AFL.

The other skill Hooper has that some more athletic option don't have is the ability to kick goals regularly, and have an impact when needed.

With no pre-season last year he was the most impressive and consistent of all our 1st year draft picks. He's still no way fit enough really, so i would think there is plenty more up side to him despite his looks.

He has to be able to run though, if he doesn't get fitter there is no role for a lazy permanent small forward. Rose didn't last long and Hooper won't either if he doesn't get more versatile. He can play as a defender but that won't happen unless he gets a lot fitter.

LostDoggy
14-01-2011, 02:50 AM
Luke Dahlhaus

The dreadlocks were a bit of a giveaway, and the fact you can hear "Luke! Luke!" in the audio confirmed it 100% for me.

LostDoggy
14-01-2011, 03:11 AM
]Hooper and Cordy will be lucky to play 6 games between them this year.[/B] That would have to be the slowest forward line we could come up with.
Take out Hooper (I know that will hurt you :D) and Cordy who will most likely play only a few games with Veszpremi (you dont recuit a 21yo forward pocket specialist for nothing) and perhaps Djerkurra in a defensive forward role.

A season's end $2 scratchie says Hoops and Ace Ayce will improve on your 'lucky' 6 games year end total, and 'luck' is not what will get them there. ;)

Desipura
14-01-2011, 10:09 AM
It will be interesting to see which rookie will be elevated if the long term injury of Hargrave is correct.
Dalhaus
Barlow (may offer some insurance for Hargrave)

Mofra
14-01-2011, 11:23 AM
http://pissiaflblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/western-bulldogs-training-january-13th.html

Good blog entry from a Pies supporter about watching the Bulldogs train

Mantis
14-01-2011, 12:01 PM
It will be interesting to see which rookie will be elevated if the long term injury of Hargrave is correct.
Dalhaus
Barlow (may offer some insurance for Hargrave)

You would think the very reason we rookied Barlow was to give us some cover for our back flanker/ pockets and would be the likely player to come up onto the main list.

I have heard that it's hoped Hargrave will be back in the first half of the season so he may not even be placed on the LTI.

Desipura
14-01-2011, 12:05 PM
You would think the very reason we rookied Barlow was to give us some cover for our back flanker/ pockets and would be the likely player to come up onto the main list.

I have heard that it's hoped Hargrave will be back in the first half of the season so he may not even be placed on the LTI.

Thats more promising news than the mid season that some have been speculating.

divvydan
14-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Given that Hargrave is on the veterans list and not the primary list, would we have been able to promote a rookie anyway?

Ghost Dog
14-01-2011, 02:49 PM
http://pissiaflblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/western-bulldogs-training-january-13th.html

Good blog entry from a Pies supporter about watching the Bulldogs train

Thanks for that Mofra. Good read

mjp
14-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks for that Mofra. Good read

It is a good read...imagine if this sort of update was available on the clubs website, including the videos? Given the VU partnership, how hard would this be to arrange?

Closed sessions are closed sessions, but there is nothing on any of those tapes that would need to be kept a secret...

Ghost Dog
14-01-2011, 03:58 PM
It is a good read...imagine if this sort of update was available on the clubs website, including the videos? Given the VU partnership, how hard would this be to arrange?

Closed sessions are closed sessions, but there is nothing on any of those tapes that would need to be kept a secret...

Great suggestion. . Dead sure VU would be keen to get some of their adv diploma students in multimedia some industry experience. Knowing well the head of VU arts / graphics dept well, certain that he would be into that.

divvydan
14-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Have tried ringing the club but there's no one answering the phone on reception it seems. Trying to find out if tomorrow morning's training session is going ahead or whether it's been moved/cancelled due to the amount of rain that we've had. Mainly concerned that the surface may not be suitable for training on at the moment.

Is there anyone who knows for sure or can contact someone at the club?

Thanks in advance.

The Coon Dog
14-01-2011, 05:13 PM
^^^^

Yes, training tomorrow morning, say about 9.30am, warm up starts at 9am.

GVGjr
15-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Enjoyed the training session today.

Players that stood out were:
Christian Howard who has added some size and seems to have improved his running quite a bit.
Sam Reid looking far fitter than 12 months back.
Jordon Roughead who is running very well and participating in all the physical drills.
Ayce Cordy who continues to improve his physical size.
Liam Jones has improved running and in the footy drills very sure hands with his marking.
Ed Barlow was prominent on the runs and in the footy drills.
Jayden Schofield moved particularly well and his kicking skills looked great.

Some other notes
Jason Johannissen struggled in the runs and had his shins iced up after leaving the sessions early.
Hargrave riding the bike and looking better than I had previously heard.
Lake looking way too lean.
Cooney running laps and doing a lot of running type drills. Looks in great condition.
Luke Dahlhaus and Tom Hill performed well as did Zephi Skinner.
Callan Ward did some nice things during the footy drills.

I'll try and answer any questions you have.

AndrewP6
15-01-2011, 01:26 PM

Players that stood out were:
Christian Howard who has added some size and seems to have improved his running quite a bit.
Sam Reid looking far fitter than 12 months back.
Jordon Roughead who is running very well and participating in all the physical drills.
Liam Jones has improved running and in the footy drills very sure hands with his marking.
Ed Barlow was prominent on the runs and in the footy drills.
Jayden Schofield moved particularly well and his kicking skills looked great.

Some other notes
Jason Johannissen struggled in the runs and had his shins iced up after leaving the sessions early.
Hargrave riding the bike and looking better than I had previously heard.
Cooney running laps and doing a lot of running type drills. Looks in great condition.
Luke Dahlhaus and Tom Hill performed well as did Zephi Skinner.
Callan Ward did some nice things during the footy drills.

I'll try and answer any questions you have.

Thanks GVG, great to have the info... couple of things, was Griff training, and Baz? I've noticed from reports Baz has either been absent or on restricted duties, I'm guessing part of the "Old Man" exemption? :)

Go_Dogs
15-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the update GVG.

I must say I'm becoming increasingly excited about what Howard may be able to do this year - perhaps I need to temper my expectations a bit, but boy, he sounds like an exciting package with his running ability and leg cannon. Having seen a bit of him, does he look like the type of player who could eventually play midfield, ie. can he win his own ball? I guess having improved size will give him more confidence to continue to improve in this area anyway.

Sam Reid is an interesting one. I really like the guy on the limited times I've seen him, and that game against Geelong in late 2009 really sticks in my mind. I'm just not sure where he fits in - but I guess in a worst case scenario he's great back up for Boyd/Cross.

Like your comments on Schofield, but I must say I have concerns over how we're going to play all of Tutt, Howard, Schofield etc off half back in the Williamstown seniors. Would be a shame for their development to be put back based on a lack of opportunity to play at that level.

Thanks again for the report.

GVGjr
15-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks GVG, great to have the info... couple of things, was Griff training, and Baz? I've noticed from reports Baz has either been absent or on restricted duties, I'm guessing part of the "Old Man" exemption? :)

Griffen kicked a nice goal from a set shot (Howard kicking in error) and then took another mark a minute later. No problems with Griff.

Hall was there and participating in everything. He might have left the ground a few minutes early but there was no problems.

GVGjr
15-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I must say I'm becoming increasingly excited about what Howard may be able to do this year - perhaps I need to temper my expectations a bit, but boy, he sounds like an exciting package with his running ability and leg cannon. Having seen a bit of him, does he look like the type of player who could eventually play midfield, ie. can he win his own ball? I guess having improved size will give him more confidence to continue to improve in this area anyway.

12 months has made a huge difference in him as we would all hope for. My initial thoughts were that if he played 5 senior games then he would have had a great 2nd season but perhaps I need to lift this expectation for him and aim a bit higher. There is a spot in the back half and he might get his chances.

Sam Reid is an interesting one. I really like the guy on the limited times I've seen him, and that game against Geelong in late 2009 really sticks in my mind. I'm just not sure where he fits in - but I guess in a worst case scenario he's great back up for Boyd/Cross.

The million dollar question is where exactly does Reid fit in and I don't have that answer. If he can stay injury free it might be a great problem to have.

Like your comments on Schofield, but I must say I have concerns over how we're going to play all of Tutt, Howard, Schofield etc off half back in the Williamstown seniors. Would be a shame for their development to be put back based on a lack of opportunity to play at that level.

He's not short on mojo is Schofield. :)

Go_Dogs
15-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks GVGjr.

AndrewP6
15-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Griffen kicked a nice goal from a set shot (Howard kicking in error) and then took another mark a minute later. No problems with Griff.

Hall was there and participating in everything. He might have left the ground a few minutes early but there was no problems.

Cheers, thanks for that!

azabob
15-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the detailed report. If Cordy's form is good enough is he now big enough to play AFL?

With Lake he has never looked muscular more bulky, does he look more defined muscle wise or he has lost his barrel chest?

I hope the new sub rule doesn't mean the big body players like Franklin, Petrie etc play closer to goal for longer periods of the game as we may struggle to contain them especially if Lake has lost his strength and bulk.

ledge
15-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Some of us think Mitch Wallis will start and maybe take Eagletons spot, but with Liberatore where will he fit in?

Dazza
15-01-2011, 02:35 PM
You would think he'd be the natural replacement for either Cross/Boyd when they start slowing down.

Just on Howard GVG. Do you think he has the physical presence/intensity to play defence?

ledge
15-01-2011, 03:14 PM
You would think he'd be the natural replacement for either Cross/Boyd when they start slowing down.

Just on Howard GVG. Do you think he has the physical presence/intensity to play defence?

With Cross and Boyd both in the captaincy range I cant see Tom getting a game.
Sounds like he might suffer from us having a good midfield, could he play in any other positions?

The Bulldogs Bite
15-01-2011, 04:06 PM
From the observations of reports from fans, the occasional one from officials on the website etc - it seems to me Howard is looking like the break out player. It would appear he's having an extremely good pre-season to date.

Great to hear.

GVG, how did Veszpremi look?

mighty_west
15-01-2011, 05:02 PM
A few snapshots from today, thanks to Minson27.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9579/16267610150176079958761.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2994/16385310150176085023761.jpg

mighty_west
15-01-2011, 05:03 PM
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/4641/16410510150176082353761.jpg

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6710/16646710150176080938761.jpg

mighty_west
15-01-2011, 05:03 PM
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5043/16649010150176081388761.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7092/16711010150176081523761.jpg

mighty_west
15-01-2011, 05:04 PM
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9056/16830110150176079838761.jpg

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4311/16847110150176086948761.jpg

GVGjr
15-01-2011, 05:08 PM

Yes I do. The decision making might be the issue as in adapting to the quicker pace. That might take a bit of time but I think he will get there.

GVGjr
15-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the detailed report. If Cordy's form is good enough is he now big enough to play AFL?

With Lake he has never looked muscular more bulky, does he look more defined muscle wise or he has lost his barrel chest?

I hope the new sub rule doesn't mean the big body players like Franklin, Petrie etc play closer to goal for longer periods of the game as we may struggle to contain them especially if Lake has lost his strength and bulk.

My worry on Cordy is his mobility. Looks OK but he hasn't been tested.

Lake has lost size and muscle definition from what I have seen.

GVGjr
15-01-2011, 05:13 PM
From the observations of reports from fans, the occasional one from officials on the website etc - it seems to me Howard is looking like the break out player. It would appear he's having an extremely good pre-season to date.

Great to hear.

GVG, how did Veszpremi look?

Seems to struggle with the runs but I wasn't really focused on him.

mighty_west
15-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Few more from Minson27 [nice new camera..;)]

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8853/16433810150176095828761.jpg

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7002/16683510150176093143761.jpg

mighty_west
15-01-2011, 05:14 PM
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/5511/16752210150176094253761.jpg

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3213/16875010150176093833761.jpg

ledge
15-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Wish it was possible to tag players like on facebook, great pics thanks heaps.

LostDoggy
15-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Great photos. Thanks. Love the camera.

Maddog37
15-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Great pics thx.

Looks like hard work that running.

Just on Barlow, even if he helps set a new training benchmark at the club and forces other guys to reassess their training efforts then we have done ok in a sense.

LostDoggy
15-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks for posting the photos Mighty_West.....

Mantis
15-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Wish it was possible to tag players like on facebook, great pics thanks heaps.

Which players don't you recognise?

(Use post number & players singlet colour to help)

ledge
15-01-2011, 09:19 PM
post 212, red singlet at front,post 204 second pic, 207 long haired dude.

ledge
15-01-2011, 09:19 PM
OH and the bloke with half a singlet.

LostDoggy
15-01-2011, 09:41 PM
post 212, red singlet at front,post 204 second pic, 207 long haired dude.

Red Singlet= Ed Barlow
Second pic=Jason Johannissen
Long haired dude= Luke Dahlhaus

Someone correct me if im wrong....

LostDoggy
15-01-2011, 09:43 PM

Brodie Moles

divvydan
15-01-2011, 09:43 PM

That's Moles, I think he's wearing a gps system.

GVGjr
15-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Red Singlet= Ed Barlow

Spot on. And you got Brodie Moles right :)

azabob
15-01-2011, 09:47 PM
Brodie Moles

Moles looks to have trimmed down. How's his training been?

ledge
15-01-2011, 10:09 PM
gee moles has lost a lot

Mantis
15-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Moles looks to have trimmed down. How's his training been?

Reportedly he has been training very well.

AndrewP6
15-01-2011, 10:56 PM
Great pics, thanks guys!

LostDoggy
15-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Red Singlet= Ed Barlow

Going great guns so far. Is the half singlet perplexing you, minson 27?

LostDoggy
15-01-2011, 11:54 PM
Going great guns so far. Is the half singlet perplexing you, minson 27?

No comment :D

LostDoggy
16-01-2011, 01:35 AM
No comment :D

No need to. If I had read further on I'd would've realised that. :o:o:rolleyes:

chef
16-01-2011, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the photos guys.

stefoid
16-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Jason Johannissen: I didnt expect a kid with that name to be .. aboriginal? fijian?

KT31
16-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks for thr great pics.

Mitcha
16-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Very solid workout yesterday morning, a lot of gut running and a heap of work done with the tackle bags with an emphasis on quick hands in congested situations. Zephi Skinner was very impressive in the match play with his defensive work and contested marking ability, Nathan Djerrkura stood out with his strength and pace and Griff was all over it. Bit hard to watch everything as players were sometimes broken into 5 or 6 groups doing different drills over the ground.

comrade
16-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Good to hear that there was plenty of tackle work. The biggest disappoint in 2010 (for me) was our unwillingness to pressure the opposition through tackling - Collingwood ranked number 1 for tackles per game last year, we ranked 16th.

chef
16-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Jason Johannissen: I didnt expect a kid with that name to be .. aboriginal? fijian?

Sounds Dutch to me with a bit of an African influence by the looks of him.

LostDoggy
16-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Great clear shots - obviously a terrific camera! I must admit, I'm not up to speed on the new players and what they look like! I had better get on the Bulldogs website and try and find some pics! :o

Ghost Dog
16-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks heaps for the pics.
Had to chase a few new names on google - something to do in the off-season at least.
No mention of Hooper in all this. Hoping he steps up to the plate.

Rocco Jones
16-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Anyone know what days and time we are training at WO this week?

Ghost Dog
17-01-2011, 01:23 AM

On this topic: Simon Dalrymple had this to say

" We think he'll be an elite kick; he kicks with a firm foot which means the ball travels at a high speed to get from point A to point B very quickly,” Dalrymple said.

Compared to L.Gilbee.

LostDoggy
17-01-2011, 02:23 AM

" We think he'll be an elite kick; he kicks with a firm foot which means the ball travels at a high speed to get from point A to point B very quickly,” Dalrymple said.

Compared to L.Gilbee.

Christian 'Howitzer' Howard

:D

Mantis
17-01-2011, 07:39 AM

Compared to L.Gilbee.

Not sure how relevant this is to the question asked.

Yeah he is a good kick (which is fairly evident when you see him in action), but the question asked refers to his ability to compete which is an unknown at present.

stefoid
17-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Sounds Dutch to me with a bit of an African influence by the looks of him.

Ah, South African 'mongrel' Cool! Welcome to the dogs!

LostDoggy
17-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Can anyone confirm if they are training Tomorrow morning on the WO?

OLD SCRAGGer
17-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Can anyone confirm if they are training Tomorrow morning on the WO?

Pretty sure they are, at least I hope they are, I'm heading down for breaky & to watch training:)

divvydan
18-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Wasn't able to make it down today, heard there was some match practice. Anyone able to go and if so, any positional surprises?

Bulldog4332
18-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Yes and No, arrived for last 45 mins but mostly skills and running. Most notable thing for me was Callan Ward doing the full session, no sight of Cooney (may have been there earlier) Lake still wandering around and how bionic Easton Wood looks.

Training was still going at 11.40 so must have been a huge session. Murphy also did most of the session but Wallis was sitting out at the end.

I did not see Sherman (maybe up north at the moment). Two players have stood out for me the three times I have seen training this year, Roughead, can run, jump and kick. He could be a big improver. Jones is just oozing potential, again a big improver I am guessing.

The last thing I can say is how good the coffee is in the pound. The girl gets lots of crema and it ranks with the corner shop and the pickle barrel.

Just one addendum, last Saturday the short match practice had Jones, Grant and Hall doing the big man forward setup. Jones and Grant differ in my eyes in that Jones is more the lead, catch recover forward whilst Grant has the catch and run/evasion skills. They seem to complement each other well, the match play seem to be enforcing that they do not get into each others way. Maybe a look into the short term future with Grant and Jones playing under Hall.

LostDoggy
18-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks for that bulldog4332 .
excited about what Jones could become .

LostDoggy
18-01-2011, 08:42 PM

Had a quick chat with Jason while he iced his shin splints on the boundary. He and both his parents are South African one parent was born in Durban and the other in Johannesburg which is where Jason himself was born. I went to introduce myself and before I could finish, Jason says "I know who you are. You're the guy with the big mohawk." Sorta threw me a bit because later, I couldn't remember he said whether his mum or dad was Durban born hence me being unable to be more specific. Well mannered man with fine attitude to match it. A bit apprehensive due to limited training recently. Told him to just do exactly what the fitness/rehab staff recommend and follow it to a tee. That way he could not lose favour for not following instructions. Got a smile out of him!

Wing_Nut
19-01-2011, 01:15 AM
Had a quick chat with Jason while he iced his shin splints on the boundary. He and both his parents are South African one parent was born in Durban and the other in Johannesburg which is where Jason himself was born. I went to introduce myself and before I could finish, Jason says "I know who you are. You're the guy with the big mohawk." Sorta threw me a bit because later, I couldn't remember he said whether his mum or dad was Durban born hence me being unable to be more specific. Well mannered man with fine attitude to match it. A bit apprehensive due to limited training recently. Told him to just do exactly what the fitness/rehab staff recommend and follow it to a tee. That way he could not lose favour for not following instructions. Got a smile out of him!
Tidy Da Druid.

Potential mentoring role for you down at the club?