PDA

View Full Version : Coach's view: Western Bulldogs

bulldogsman
15-11-2010, 09:07 PM
By Paul Williams

Dylan Addison
He competed extremely hard and played some different roles, such as a defensive forward, and did that really well. He had a bit of a sore knee at the end of the year, but he's a really strong kid and I'd expect him to improve next year, get a bit fitter which will give him a good chance to put his name up for the whole year.

Jason Akermanis (delisted)
His time at the club this year was disappointing. Pre-Christmas was quite good but then he had a little niggle on his hamstring which blew out to about seven weeks, and then he had the hiccup which we all know about. It was a disappointing end to a wonderful career.

Jarrad Boumann (delisted)
A disappointing year. He promised a bit early and was up for selection for the AFL side for a couple of weeks but he really fell away at the end.

Click here for more (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/105219/default.aspx)

azabob
15-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Interesting comments on the two potential captains in Gia and Boyd.

Boyd

He had another really consistent year. He broke his hand and that hampered his cleanliness around the stoppages for a while. But we were really happy with what he was able to do. We know Matty will step up again and be one of the guys who leads this footy club.

Gia had a good year, but his good games were very good and his poor games were at a level that wasn't to the standard we expect. He has to get his poorer games up to a level which is expected of a player of his experience. His leadership is very important and we look forward to him having another good pre-season and helping lead the club in the right direction.

GVGjr
15-11-2010, 10:31 PM
I was a little surprised with the comments on Markovic.

LostDoggy
15-11-2010, 10:44 PM
I really liked Addison as a defensive forward, i hope we see more of it in 2011.

Tom Williams
It was a breakthrough year for Tommy in terms of his body being able to withstand the rigours of AFL footy. He played some really big roles on key players. He should get a lot of belief out of what he was able to achieve. He's got a lot of talent and now he knows his body can stand up we look forward to a fit and healthy Tom Williams in 2011.

The other big thing i liked this season, let's hope Tommy continues it.

boydogs
15-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Good read. Nice to see an honest assessment

Mantis
16-11-2010, 09:19 AM

In what way?

westdog54
16-11-2010, 10:39 AM

The line about him being close to AFL selection?

Sockeye Salmon
16-11-2010, 10:46 AM

I would have played him R22 and rested Lake, so yes, for mine he was close.

westdog54
16-11-2010, 10:50 AM
I would have played him R22 and rested Lake, so yes, for mine he was close.

Fair enough.

Desipura
16-11-2010, 10:56 AM
I was more surprised with the honesty shown on Mitch's assessment especially the bit where he says "we expect more".
Also surprised by the honesty in Gia's assessment. Especially as he was voted 3rd in the B & F.
I agree with Simon on both counts, a pretty good assessment IMHO.

The Coon Dog
16-11-2010, 11:03 AM
I was more surprised with the honesty shown on Mitch's assessment especially the bit where he says "we expect more".
Also surprised by the honesty in Gia's assessment. Especially as he was voted 3rd in the B & F.

Is there any thread you don't have a crack/sledge/subtle dig at Gia in? It's getting monotonous & boring.

Bulldog4life
16-11-2010, 11:27 AM

Simon who?

Desipura
16-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Simon who? Dalrymple

Bulldog4life
16-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Dalrymple

Sorry I thought it was Paul Williams who made the comments.

Desipura
16-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Sorry I thought it was Paul Williams who made the comments.You are right it was Paul

Twodogs
16-11-2010, 12:08 PM
I completely agree with the assessment of Guido. He has improved his game on many levels over the last couple of years and if he can improve his consistancy and output then he will become the player we all hope and know he can become.

GVGjr
16-11-2010, 01:39 PM

Exactly. It gives the impression that his form warranted selection when I'd be surprised if it did. Injuries might create opportunities for players like Markovic but from what I saw, he didn't do enough for a promotion.

Bulldog4life
16-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Exactly. It gives the impression that his form warranted selection when I'd be surprised if it did. Injuries might create opportunities for players like Markovic but from what I saw, he didn't do enough for a promotion.

What I remember is he failed to even crack it for a pre season game. Hopefully he'll be given a chance in the early stuff next season just to see how he goes.

Remi Moses
16-11-2010, 03:55 PM
So I take it Crossy has the green light to give Macca's and KFC a big shake!:p

Remi Moses
16-11-2010, 03:58 PM
I completely agree with the assessment of Guido. He has improved his game on many levels over the last couple of years and if he can improve his consistancy and output then he will become the player we all hope and know he can become.

Agree with the assessment of Gia,great to have an honest assessment of our players and no sugar coating.

Desipura
16-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Agree with the assessment of Gia,great to have an honest assessment of our players and no sugar coating.

That is all I was saying all along.

Sockeye Salmon
16-11-2010, 04:27 PM
What I remember is he failed to even crack it for a pre season game. Hopefully he'll be given a chance in the early stuff next season just to see how he goes.

I thought he was injured pre-season

Bulldog4life
16-11-2010, 04:41 PM

Could have been. Can't remember.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-11-2010, 04:55 PM

Yep, he was for a little while and missed a few weeks during an important phase coming up to the NAB Cup games.

Hopefully he gets a run next year, particularly as we should be looking to rest our senior players. FWIW I thought Markovic improved in the last five or six weeks.