PDA

View Full Version : Kangaroos and Tassie

Remi Moses
18-11-2010, 01:23 AM
Just want to know everyone's thoughts on the whole North Melbourne Hobart saga.
Just have a scent that the AFL are behind the scenes pushing them into Hobart and getting Hawthorn out,just amazes me how Brayshaw only 3 years ago stood on a platform of playing all Home games in Melbourne.

GVGjr
18-11-2010, 06:01 AM
Just want to know everyone's thoughts on the whole North Melbourne Hobart saga.
Just have a scent that the AFL are behind the scenes pushing them into Hobart and getting Hawthorn out,just amazes me how Brayshaw only 3 years ago stood on a platform of playing all Home games in Melbourne.

The members haven't responded though and they again need to look at other options.
My understanding is that the surveyed the lost members from recent years who primarily said that because the club didn't play enough games they weren't joining. Once they changed that approach the former members still didn't join up and that's why its back on the agenda. Their attendance at a lot of games this year was very poor.

Desipura
18-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Should have taken the 100 million and ran to the Gold Coast. There is no growth supporter base in the Industrial North Melbourne area.

Hotdog60
18-11-2010, 02:09 PM
The AFL got rid a South Melbourne now they should move the North, If they became the Tassie kangaroos it would be good for Tasmania to have a home team and financially good for North and one team less in Melbourne chasing corporate and publics dollars.

Sockeye Salmon
18-11-2010, 03:06 PM
I want to know the real reason the Tassie government turned down North.

Clearly the intention of the AFL was to move North to Tassie permanently sooner rather than later and this was stage 1.

Tassie are sreaming out for their own side and the AFL were handing them the Kangas on a platter and they said "no thanks".

WTF?

hujsh
18-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Should have taken the 100 million and ran to the Gold Coast. There is no growth supporter base in the Industrial North Melbourne area.

The AFL got rid a South Melbourne now they should move the North, If they became the Tassie kangaroos it would be good for Tasmania to have a home team and financially good for North and one team less in Melbourne chasing corporate and publics dollars.

Would have thought Footscray supporters would be more sympathetic to a club like North's decision to stay and fight.

LostDoggy
18-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Would have thought Footscray supporters would be more sympathetic to a club like North's decision to stay and fight.

Yep...Good call that, but for what it's worth I reckon most dogs supporters are thinking better them than us! Whilst I do feel for North supporters I reckon Brayshaw has gone soft on his own platform and needs to be held accountable for that!!

Desipura
18-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Believe it or not, in real life issues I am very sympathetic. Where my team is involved, I do not want sympathy nor will I be sympathetic towards other teams.
I want a premiership and dont care about anyone else.

LostDoggy
18-11-2010, 04:13 PM

Clearly the intention of the AFL was to move North to Tassie permanently sooner rather than later and this was stage 1.

Tassie are sreaming out for their own side and the AFL were handing them the Kangas on a platter and they said "no thanks".

WTF?

Wise words as always SS. AD has backed up your argument by saying that the deal has closed the chance of a Tas team in the near future.

Honestly, what are they thinking? Hawthorn will never relocate there.

LostDoggy
18-11-2010, 04:48 PM
The ball is in the Tassy's court if they desperately want their own side, I'd be playing off North and Hawthorn against each other.

They can quite easily not renew the contract between Aurora and Hawthorn. The could also try to attract franchises from other codes, watch the AFL move quick smart if they did that.

Ghost Dog
18-11-2010, 05:35 PM
I had a mate that lived in Tassie for 6 years. He said the politics of footy in Tassie have to be seen to be believed. Will be a minor miracle if they ever get their own team, in his opinion.

chef
18-11-2010, 05:38 PM
I had a mate that lived in Tassie for 6 years. He said the politics of footy in Tassie have to be seen to be believed. Will be a minor miracle if they ever get their own team, in his opinion.

It will be hard to get both the north and south supporting the same side according to a mate of mine who lives there.

Ghost Dog
18-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Believe it or not, in real life issues I am very sympathetic. Where my team is involved, I do not want sympathy nor will I be sympathetic towards other teams.
I want a premiership and dont care about anyone else.

In terms of TV revenue, money from tickets and in other ways, clubs compete and thus make a spectacle of it. Can't afford to have teams fall by the wayside with awful attendances like the roos have had in 2010.
Hope they can get their act together and make a fist of it, for the benefit of the AFL, of which we are a part.

boydogs
18-11-2010, 08:59 PM

WTF?

Hardball I reckon. Just an uneducated guess, but if I were them I wouldn't be looking to save a club from relocating to Tassie by bankrolling them to play a few games there and stay in Melbourne.

Sockeye Salmon
18-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Hardball I reckon. Just an uneducated guess, but if I were them I wouldn't be looking to save a club from relocating to Tassie by bankrolling them to play a few games there and stay in Melbourne.

I'd have them play 7 games a year there until they are reliant on the cash to survive and in a few years time insist they play 8 games a year, then 9 then relocate altogether.

boydogs
18-11-2010, 09:09 PM
I'd have them play 7 games a year there until they are reliant on the cash to survive and in a few years time insist they play 8 games a year, then 9 then relocate altogether.

If North are really OK with playing 7 games there I would suggest they haven't got any other options left, and so are pretty reliant on the cash right now.

Murphy'sLore
19-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Haven't you heard, Aker is on his way to single-handedly save Tassie football! Problem solved!

LostDoggy
21-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Haven't you heard, Aker is on his way to single-handedly save Tassie football! Problem solved!

Two years later he is booted out of the state claiming all the tasmanians were wrong.

mjp
21-11-2010, 08:08 PM
AFL is on a hiding to nothing with Tassie.

All their money comes from TV rights...and AFL ratings in Tassie are sky high as it is. Creating a new team there is completely pointless as they simply wont increase ratings which means no new money...unlike adding a team in Western Sydney for example. So, if the AFL want to establish in Tassie, they have to relocate an existing side.

North are a complete mess. They should have gone to the Gold Coast when they had the chance - I understood the stand and fight mentality but the same year they made the decision they only got 28K to a FINAL (admittedly vs Port) at the dome. Surely that was a message from their fans - we don't love you and we don't care.

Hawthorn on the other hand are OK in terms of support, attendance and members.

I understand what the AFL are trying to do. Relocate the side struggling for support to a market that wants a team but cannot justify the establishment of an additional franchise.

DOG GOD
27-11-2010, 11:15 AM
As i live in tassie i totally can see the hatred (if that's what you call it), between the North and South of the state.

Personally i would never stop supporting the dogs to follow a tassie team and i'm not the only one amongst my family and friends. Doubt i would even have an interest in how the tassie side would go.

I also agree with the previous poster about the "politics" of Tassie football. It can certainly feel like a schoolyard brawl at times and becomes quite comical at times.

There is almost a "hand shake" agreement that the North gets football and the south gets cricket, but once the south gets greedy and wants it all, thats when the crap hits the fan...and yes i live in the north :)

Hotdog60
27-11-2010, 12:35 PM
As i live in tassie i totally can see the hatred (if that's what you call it), between the North and South of the state.

Personally i would never stop supporting the dogs to follow a tassie team and i'm not the only one amongst my family and friends. Doubt i would even have an interest in how the tassie side would go.

I also agree with the previous poster about the "politics" of Tassie football. It can certainly feel like a schoolyard brawl at times and becomes quite comical at times.

There is almost a "hand shake" agreement that the North gets football and the south gets cricket, but once the south gets greedy and wants it all, thats when the crap hits the fan...and yes i live in the north :)

It sounds like America, blue against the grey.;)