PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Dogs Zephi Skinner.

chef
18-11-2010, 10:35 PM

Height: 189cm

Weight: 78kg

http://www.territoryfc.com.au/uploads/pics/Zephi-Skinner-Large.gif
Position: Half Forward

Hometown: Noonkanbah Station (Yungnora Community)

Recruited from: Nightcliff Tigers FC

Favourite food: Bush Turkey

Thing you couldn't live without: Phone

AFL team you support: Adelaide Crows

LostDoggy
18-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Far out :) "Bush Turkey"

GVGjr
18-11-2010, 10:59 PM
His arrival at the club will create a lot of excitement. It will be very interesting to hear how he settles into Melbourne and how he adapts to life as a professional footballer.

LostDoggy
18-11-2010, 11:04 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yungngora_Community,_Western_Australia

AndrewP6
18-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Anyone else find it funny, the fact he likes "bush turkey", and his phone. Technology creeps in everywhere!

Bulldog Revolution
18-11-2010, 11:17 PM
What type of position do we think Zeph will play?

GVGjr
18-11-2010, 11:18 PM
What type of position do we think Zeph will play?

Penciled in as a 3rd tall forward.

LostDoggy
18-11-2010, 11:40 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2010/04/11/2869514.htm

Meet Zeph

LostDoggy
18-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Sounds like an interesting fellow

lemmon
18-11-2010, 11:45 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2010/04/11/2869514.htm

Meet Zeph

Refreshing to hear, great laid back attitude. Had to have a chuckle when he asked the interviewer whether he 'heard of the bible' :p

LostDoggy
18-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Haha the job description he had

'Cheers man'

LostDoggy
18-11-2010, 11:46 PM
Refreshing to hear, great laid back attitude. Had to have a chuckle when he asked the interviewer whether he 'heard of the bible' :p

Made me laugh as well, actually still laughing

lemmon
18-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Hmm I may have finally found a player to fill the gaping hole left by Skinny... Yep I'm on the band wagon, will be tracking young Zephi very closely. Another potential cult hero in the making

LostDoggy
19-11-2010, 12:04 AM
someon from alice springs rang in on SEN earlier and said he is simiar to Liam Jurrah

hujsh
19-11-2010, 12:34 AM
I like this guy already. Really hope he makes it now.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-11-2010, 04:45 AM
Terrific write up by Quigley in his PD on BF.

Pick 38 Hawthorn

I have the Hawks going with a KPD prospect in the first round and am going with flash in the second. Skinner can come in and be the player that they thought they had in Petersen as an X factor forward. With Roughhead perhaps playing more ruck or defense they need someone who can kick a few and Skinner can do that and combine with Cyril to make a very good defensive forward combination.

Zephi Skinner

I really rate Skinner and would like to see him given a chance and with what he has done this year I am sure someone will give him that chance. A few teams like Brisbane and Hawthorn have been burned recently with some of their indigenous guys but with the success of Jurrah I think quite a few teams will be looking to plunge in and hopefully snare a similar type of guy. As far as Jurrah goes Skinner is the closest one available this year although personally I realized when I watched them play against each other that he is much more similar in style to Darryl White. He is an exceptionally gifted, athletic, indigenous player from a remote aboriginal community in the Kimberley who plays with flair and seems to have a genuine love of the game.

Skinner has X factor written all over him. He has an enormous leap regularly relieving in the ruck and in fact he started in the ruck for the game when he picked up the AFLQ Rising Star nomination. In that game he managed to collect 19 disposals, 3 marks, 27 hit outs, 7 tackles and a goal. He plays as a utility spending most of his time up forward where he is dangerous around goal. He is exceptionally elusive with the ball in hand and had one of the best (almost) goals you will ever see in the AFLQ final series, evading 4 players before narrowly missing with his snap. Like bothWhite and Jurrah he has pace and can really get up there and although he has solid hands I would not put them in the Jurrah class. I also don’t think he has Jurrah’s ability to read the play up the ground and as a consequence he can mistime his lead or be out of position when the ball comes in. I do think however that he is much better up the ground than Jurrah and presents himself as an option going forward and gets to good spots to receive. He looks to me like a mobile half forward / utility who you could throw wherever and he would do the job. He needs to build his tank however and does fade in and out of games.

Going the other way his tackling is good and could be exceptional as he builds his endurance base. He has excellent closing ability up forward for a tall player and his technique is good. He averaged around 6 tackles a game in the AFLQ although quite a few of those are from in the ruck contest where he can recover very quickly and lay the tackle on the mid getting the ball. He is also a good smother of the ball which does not appear in most stat sheets. The better the opposition the better Skinner went last year and he had a stand out game against the minor premiers in round 17 and picked up three goals in a losing effort in the finals. He kicked 13 goals in his last 6 games (in a team with the competitions leading goal kicker).

According to the NT coaching staff he has a terrific attitude and is a real positive influence around the club. He is a character and is genuinely everyone’s friend. Skinner finished second in the NT’s under 23 player of the year (behind Ewing who managed 78 goals in the AFLQ) despite missing 3 games through injury and ended up being the runaway winner of the AFLQ Rising Star award (receiving 39 votes with 19 being the next best). That award is selected by a group of AFLQ people and AFL recruiters and a large part of the selection criteria is potential AFL ability. He trained with the Bulldogs prior to last season’s rookie draft and has shown good development this year. Apparently he is on quite a few team’s radars and I think they are going to have to take him in the national draft to be sure of getting him. How high is going to be the question mark. He played some colts games for Claremont back in 07/08 but returned home. He seems more mature now and likely to stick out a move to an AFL club but I suggest the weather in WA or Qld is more likely to suit him.

Overall if you are looking to add an X factor to your team then you should be looking at Skinner. It’s a shame he is not a little taller but with his leap he remains a threat and is a kid more than a few teams will be looking at.

stefoid
19-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Zephaniah!!!! What a name.

Sounds a bit like Zepher, which is the 'west wind' or 'wind from the west'!

LostDoggy
19-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Almost exactly a like-for-like Andrejs replacement as a utility with the ability to play relief ruck, but with a bit more bite (ie. tackling), athleticism, and hopefully a bit more grunt as well. Fingers crossed that the coaching staff will be able to get the intensity from him that they didn't from Andrejs.

Murphy'sLore
19-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Slightly alarming to hear that danger word "laconic" surfacing again.

Mofra
19-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Instant cult hero?
NT coaching staff talking up his attitude is a positive. Pre-draft everyone knew about his leap.

Mofra
19-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Snoop is a big fan:

# 77 (COLLINGWOOD)
Zephi Skinner - NT Thunder / 189cm / 78kg

PROFILE: I will admit it.......I have a 'man crush' on this kid. Been following him all year and it is a shame many of you wont have seen footage of Zephi. Zephi (20yo) is an incredible talent and to give you a sense of it he has been playing Ruck for NT Thunder and is only 189cm. Saw him ruck againt Putt and Hickey and even though they are both 200cm he regularly outleapt them! Also played on a wing and across HF which is ultimately where I think he will settle at AFL level. Has amazing agility, havent seen his vertical leap results but they will have been huge, he is quick and his left foot is a weapon. Also knows how to kick a goal so presents really well as a Wing / HF type that will be incredibly difficult to match up on.
QAFL team of the Year Member and won the QAFL Rising Star award by a 'country mile' and that is no mean feat when you consider the field included Tom Hickey, Tom Bell, Joel Wilkinson and Todd Grayson the ex Lion (past winners have been guys like Gilbert, Bail, Pask, Armitage so it aint a bad formline). Hasnt received a heap of attention but is very much on the radar of 5-6 clubs so wouldnt be at all surprised to see him land in the National or Rookie Draft. The issue for him will be getting a club to believe that he can transition those talents and his ability to do the 'freakish' things to AFL Level. If we dont get to see him then we have been robbed of seeing one of the most amazingly talented kids I have seen in some time. this kid is better than Jurrah IMO. From all reports the kid is a treat to be around and the coaching staff of the Thunder cannot speak highly enough of him. Trained with the Doggies last year and unfortunately Doggies may end up rueing the 'one that got away'.

In my mock I had him as a zoned NT player and my understanding is that as yet Suns havent confirmed him (if they have I will change the selection).

Roughie: Jack Frost or Chris Luff but one will be there in the rookie. Names linked might include Sipposs, MacDonald, Lyons, Lester, Ugle, Cooyou, Chalwell etc.

Twodogs
19-11-2010, 11:39 AM

I'm happy to see "Going the other way his tackling is good" and "Terrific attitude" though.

w3design
19-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Zephi "Seymour" Skinner. I like it.

Hearing great things about his attittude, hope the Melbourne life grows on him and he plays to his best here.

LostDoggy
19-11-2010, 12:29 PM
And just like that he has a new nickname! Seymour it is!

Murphy'sLore
19-11-2010, 12:38 PM
"Skin-NER!"

Sockeye Salmon
19-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Zephi Graf?

Curly5
19-11-2010, 02:00 PM

and

"He seems more mature now and likely to stick out a move to an AFL club but I suggest the weather in WA or Qld is more likely to suit him."

These two points may turn out to be important, but let's not pre-judge. Plenty of boys from the "hot zone" make the adjustment to Antarctica. ;) I like the sound of Zephi and hope he gives it, and the Bulldogs, his best shot.

wend1604
19-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Zephaniah!!!! What a name.

Sounds a bit like Zepher, which is the 'west wind' or 'wind from the west'!

That's similar to what I thought when his name was read out last night.

Can just imagine yelling this out at games: 'Go Zephyr - run like the wind!' :D

mighty_west
19-11-2010, 03:37 PM
That's similar to what I thought when his name was read out last night.

Can just imagine yelling this out at games: 'Go Zephyr - run like the wind!' :D

I see a banner in the making.

Desipura
19-11-2010, 04:53 PM
He must be alright, he already has an oval named after him.

w3design
19-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Red Hot Chili Peppers- The Zephyr Song

LostDoggy
19-11-2010, 05:05 PM
For some reason I'm already calling him Skinny Zephyr. :p

Mantis
19-11-2010, 05:09 PM
A good article about Zephi:

Skinner cannot wait! (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/105445/default.aspx)

Seems like he is excited & determined to give it his best shot.

Mofra
19-11-2010, 05:14 PM
A good article about Zephi:

Skinner cannot wait! (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/105445/default.aspx)

Seems like he is excited & determined to give it his best shot.
Thorne did sound similar in an article last year, but for some reason everything I've read about Zephi fills me with more confidence.

The NT coaching staff reinforcing his positive attitude, and the fact he has been here before, and he doesn't have the wife/child to take care of as well just make him sound different. Comparisons to Jurrah certainly help :)

w3design
19-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Love the way Jurrah plays, so if Zeph emulates that we have a player on our hands.

Will compete with Vez for potential fan favourite status maybe.

cnmin2
20-11-2010, 02:27 PM
May be Zephyi will be a breath of fresh air for the dogs.Sorry could not help myself,a sick dad joke.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Hopefully his presence will lift Stack and Hill.

BulldogBelle
20-11-2010, 09:54 PM
My son (a Bulldogs fan too) played with Zeph last Christmas time at Nightcliff. He was absolutely rapt to see the Dogs pick him up, just loves this guy. He will be great for the Dogs.

Mofra
21-11-2010, 10:51 AM
My son (a Bulldogs fan too) played with Zeph last Christmas time at Nightcliff. He was absolutely rapt to see the Dogs pick him up, just loves this guy. He will be great for the Dogs.
Good stuff, any info on what he's like on & off the field from someone who has played with him?

LostDoggy
21-11-2010, 01:30 PM
He was supposed to be on SEN last night or friday, did any one hear the interview?

w3design
22-11-2010, 09:33 PM
every other year I am indifferent to our super late picks, but for some reason this kid really excites me.

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 12:44 PM
every other year I am indifferent to our super late picks, but for some reason this kid really excites me.

If you are indifferent "every other year", and you were indifferent last year, then you're right on schedule. ;)

w3design
23-11-2010, 01:23 PM
If you are indifferent "every other year", and you were indifferent last year, then you're right on schedule. ;)

I see what you did there, I perhaps could have phrased it better.

"I am usually indifferent to our super late picks, but this kid really excites me for some reason".

boydogs
24-11-2010, 12:20 AM
I see what you did there, I perhaps could have phrased it better.

"I am usually indifferent to our super late picks, but this kid really excites me for some reason".

Just use any not every ;)

LostDoggy
24-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Met Zeph today as he came through the Pound this morning with Stacky. Seems a nice bloke. Look forward to seeing him run around this season. Gonna break a few girl's hearts too! IMO

Ghost Dog
24-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Met Zeph today as he came through the Pound this morning with Stacky. Seems a nice bloke. Look forward to seeing him run around this season. Gonna break a few girl's hearts too! IMO

Not as many as you have Druid! :D

LostDoggy
24-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Zephis my man this year......myself and a friend have decided to become a player sponsor..and we've chosen Zephi......hes gona be awesome to watch.....

LostDoggy
27-11-2010, 06:51 PM
When the Z-Man played for Claremont he rucked against Nick Naitanui and beat him most times.
It will be interesting to see where he feels the most comfortable to play at AFL level , he looks to be more like a modern attacking winger , is it possible the Club earmarked him as Andre Everitt's replacement ?

Bulldog4life
27-11-2010, 09:42 PM
When the Z-Man played for Claremont he rucked against Nick Naitanui and beat him most times.
It will be interesting to see where he feels the most comfortable to play at AFL level , he looks to be more like a modern attacking winger , is it possible the Club earmarked him as Andre Everitt's replacement ?

Cripes he must have a huge leap on him.

mjp
27-11-2010, 10:40 PM
...is it possible the Club earmarked him as Andre Everitt's replacement ?

Surely Williamstown don't need another loose, soft, half-back flanker? Surely?

LostDoggy
28-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Not as many as you have Druid! :D

That's only because I know a lot of women who are legally blind* and have poor taste*.

*Present partner not included.

w3design
06-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Dis dere AFL football thing not too bad cuz

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld3h7a7ELp1qelejho1_500.jpg

The Z-factor approves

LostDoggy
06-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Dis dere AFL football thing not too bad cuz

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld3h7a7ELp1qelejho1_500.jpg

The Z-factor approves

“The Z-Factor”. I like that…

Ghost Dog
06-03-2011, 08:53 PM
You have GOT to love a player who doesn't take himself too seriously. Love this photo

Mantis
06-03-2011, 09:39 PM
You have GOT to love a player who doesn't take himself too seriously. Love this photo

He looks like Steve-O of Jackass fame.

BulldogBelle
06-03-2011, 09:52 PM
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/4719/zephtakesapass.jpg

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/7315/zephtakesamark.jpg

http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/3483/zephreadytokickanother.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6417/zephontheinterchange.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6329/zephkicksagoal.jpg

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/8396/zephhandpassgivesoffago.jpg

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/5425/zephhandpassfromvesper1.jpg

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4483/skinnerhasashotdownnons.jpg

The Coon Dog
07-03-2011, 11:16 PM
“@StevoHeraldSun: Big buzz around Zeph Skinner at Dogs. Read about his amazing prep for bunbury praccy game in HS tomorrow”

w3design
08-03-2011, 12:10 AM
“@StevoHeraldSun: Big buzz around Zeph Skinner at Dogs. Read about his amazing prep for bunbury praccy game in HS tomorrow”

Might have to track down a copy. Cheers TCD.

strebla
08-03-2011, 02:06 AM

So I have to buy the herald sun it has been a long time TCD it better be worth it!!!

chef
08-03-2011, 07:37 AM
So I have to buy the herald sun it has been a long time TCD it better be worth it!!!

No need to buy it.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cult-of-zeph-skinner-grows/story-e6frf9ix-1226017329381

Cult of Zeph Skinner grows
ZEPHANIAH Skinner grabbed headlines by kicking four goals at Bunbury on Saturday, but that was only half the story.
The instant cult-figure's preparation for the Western Bulldogs' practice match against Fremantle was more extraordinary than the freakish leaps and long bombs.

Skinner spent eight days in the lead-up to the game at the Kimberley community of Noonkanbah, near Fitzroy Crossing.

As his teammates cruised to Melbourne airport on Friday morning to ready themselves for the Dockers hitout, Skinner was on a dirt road heading from his former home to Broome.

After allowing Skinner to attend a funeral, the Bulldogs sent development head Chris Maple to northern Western Australia on Thursday to make contact with the recruit's family and friends and ensure he arrived in Bunbury on time.

Maple and Skinner left Noonkanbah at 6.15am on Friday in hired a four-wheel drive for the 4 1/2-hour trip to Broome Airport.

"Probably an hour and a half of the trip was just on dirt, including water crossings," Maple said yesterday.

"They've got a lot of cattle up there in the community, which was a challenge.

"Suddenly, you've got a cow running in front of your car, which slowed us.

"At one river crossing we had a few freshwater crocs floating in the river near us.

"Finally, we got on the main road back to Broome."

Maple and Skinner boarded a plane in Broome for the flight to Perth Airport, jumped in a car with football manager James Fantasia for a three-hour car trip south Bunbury.

Finally, Skinner arrived in Bunbury at 6.30pm.

"All up, we travelled about 12 hours," Maple said.

Mindful of the travel factor, the Dogs played Skinner for only 55 per cent of game time, but were astounded by his impact with four goals.

The 21-year-old, who shot to prominence with NT Thunder last year, was drafted at No.88 by the Bulldogs in November.

It seemed a speculative pick, but Skinner looks capable of breaking into the senior team this year. At 189cm, he plays tall like Liam Jurrah, but also has a hard edge and thrives on tackling.

"Zeph is exciting in that he's quick, he wants to put defensive pressure on, he's a really good kick and he kicks both feet as good as the other one," Maple said.

"His vertical jump is unbelievable. He can stand on his two feet and do a backlip straight on to his feet.

"He is a real excitement machine. We've got to build his aerobic fitness a bit more, but who knows what he can do."

Bulldog4life
08-03-2011, 08:48 AM
No need to buy it.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/cult-of-zeph-skinner-grows/story-e6frf9ix-1226017329381

Cult of Zeph Skinner grows
ZEPHANIAH Skinner grabbed headlines by kicking four goals at Bunbury on Saturday, but that was only half the story.
"His vertical jump is unbelievable. He can stand on his two feet and do a backlip straight on to his feet."He is a real excitement machine. We've got to build his aerobic fitness a bit more, but who knows what he can do."

Beats the handstand any day!:)

Mofra
08-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Ignoring the X factor, his pressure & willingness to chase & tackle could be a real bonus for us if he forces his way into the side.
He's not a one trick pony which sounds like the sort of player Eade likes.

Bulldog Joe
08-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Ideal opportunity to add some colour and rhythym to an AFL match
There is a great Credence song just made for him. There is also a version from Three Dog Night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtYnCmw2CWE

Zephaniah is a Bulldog
What a good friend of mine

Joy to the World
All the boys and Girls
Joy to supporters
Sitting in the Stands

Joy to You and Me

Can't you imagine that blasting out of Etihad as the Zeph kicks an important goal.

AndrewP6
08-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Ideal opportunity to add some colour and rhythym to an AFL match
There is a great Credence song just made for him. There is also a version from Three Dog Night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtYnCmw2CWE

Zephaniah is a Bulldog
What a good friend of mine

Joy to the World
All the boys and Girls
Joy to supporters
Sitting in the Stands

Joy to You and Me

Can't you imagine that blasting out of Etihad as the Zeph kicks an important goal.

Great song, but I'm pretty sure Creedence didn't do it.

bornadog
08-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Has he got the motor to play the full season at senior level? Is he ideal as a sub? He only played 55% of game time on the week end and kicked four.

Mantis
08-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Has he got the motor to play the full season at senior level?.

No.

Is he ideal as a sub?

Possibly.

He only played 55% of game time on the week end and kicked four.

Without knowing I wouldn't have thought many of our players would have had much more than 70% game time as we had 8 bench players to rotate onto the ground.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-03-2011, 09:18 PM
No.

Possibly.

Without knowing I wouldn't have thought many of our players would have had much more than 70% game time as we had 8 bench players to rotate onto the ground.

I'm interested in your temperence towards Skinner 'cos I feel my uncoralled exuberence is out of line and it is wrong of me to feel he is the mercurial Saviour.

Doggy
08-03-2011, 09:49 PM

The Creedence version is the only one I have ever heard.

Bulldog Joe
08-03-2011, 10:47 PM

http://www.last.fm/music/Creedence+Clearwater+Revival/_/Jeremiah+Was+a+Bullfrog

Just for you Andrew

Sorry it is only a listing and does not play.

AndrewP6
08-03-2011, 11:30 PM
http://www.last.fm/music/Creedence+Clearwater+Revival/_/Jeremiah+Was+a+Bullfrog

Just for you Andrew

Sorry it is only a listing and does not play.

The comments underneath the listing all state that the tag is incorrect, and I can't find any evidence of Creedence doing it. I'll bet the 2010 NAB Cup that it's Three Dog Night. :)

AndrewP6
08-03-2011, 11:31 PM
The Creedence version is the only one I have ever heard.

I think you'll find the Three Dog Night version is the one. They made the song famous. Admittedly, the singer did sound like John Fogerty.

The Adelaide Connection
08-03-2011, 11:50 PM
I think you'll find the Three Dog Night version is the one. They made the song famous. Admittedly, the singer did sound like John Fogerty.

Definitely not a Creedence song, written by Hoyt Axton (who was a country singer-songwriter) but the Three Dog Night version is the one that was a hit. But you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a Creedence song, is pretty ballpark to their sound.

Bulldog Joe
09-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Definitely not a Creedence song, written by Hoyt Axton (who was a country singer-songwriter) but the Three Dog Night version is the one that was a hit. But you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a Creedence song, is pretty ballpark to their sound.

I am no music knowledge base, but when I saw Zeph drafted I immediately thought of the song.

My research shows Creedence and Three Dog Night as recording it.
Some of the listings through Google are indeed incorrect.
It was a number 1 hit for Three Dog Night.

Hoyt Axton did indeed write it.

All that said it would be a great thing to have blast out when Zeph kicks an important goal.

the banker
09-03-2011, 09:30 AM
"Zephaniah is a Bulldog" is great chant. Lets hope he can give us reason to break out with it.

The Adelaide Connection
09-03-2011, 07:51 PM
I am no music knowledge base, but when I saw Zeph drafted I immediately thought of the song.

My research shows Creedence and Three Dog Night as recording it.
Some of the listings through Google are indeed incorrect.
It was a number 1 hit for Three Dog Night.

Hoyt Axton did indeed write it.

All that said it would be a great thing to have blast out when Zeph kicks an important goal.

The internet is full of a lot of things and one of them is people that get things totally wrong. I remember a mate trying to tell me Cat Stevens sang "Cats in the Cradle" and showing me loads of references on websites, youtube listings etc from people who had similarly got it wrong.

The popular version (as in the version that was a hit and you will hear on the radio) is definitely Three Dog Night but that is not to say that Creedence haven't covered it live or whatever and a random bootleg doesn't exist.

But as for a studio recorded version? I would probably trust these guys and say "nope".
http://www.creedence-online.net/forum/f9-albums-songs-and-concerts/did-ccr-ever-record-joy-the-world-167.html

At the end of the day though Kudos for the idea, I epecially like subsequent suggestions of "Bullfrog" as a nickname but it would be good to see some creative singing, ala EPL, infiltrating the AFL.