PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Dogs Tom Hill

chef
18-11-2010, 10:41 PM
From last year.
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20K-O/HILL%20Tom_draft_246_meeta.jpg
Height: 199cm
Weight: 82kg
DOB: 07/04/91
Recruited from: Northern Bullants (VAFA)/Northern Knights
Bio: Athletic key forward with strong hands overhead. Excellent speed and agility for his size with sounds skills by foot. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2009. Agility for a tall outstanding at Draft Camp (8.31secs - top 22 per cent). Averaged 15 disposals and six marks in 14 games with the Knights this year kicking 21 goals. AIS-AFL Academy graduate.
Matt Burgan's draft rating: 20-60

In his own words
What type of player are you?
A versatile tall player capable of playing a key position role at either end of the ground as well as in the ruck.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Jarrad Waite for his ability to play equally well at either end of the ground and for his athletic attributes.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
My speed, athleticism and marking ability, along with being able to read the play and make good decisions with the ball.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
My overall body strength (legs specifically) as well as my endurance, and second and third efforts.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
I barrack for the Saints and have been a supporter since I was a kid because my mum always went for them. Robert Harvey was my favourite player as a kid.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
My family, coaches and mates because they have always supported me and have helped me to work towards achieving my goals

Dan
18-11-2010, 10:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49p1gu2eiNg
Surprised we didn't go for more tall backman so maybe we see him playing there?

LostDoggy
18-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Cheers Chef, couldn't see anything on him this year.

GVGjr
18-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Like a lot of tall youngsters he will need to spend a significant amount of time adding strength to his frame.

Prato, Roughead, Cordy, Mulligan and now Tom Hill will give us a lot of developing talls.
Do we have a ruck coach on the books?

ledge
18-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Like a lot of tall youngsters he will need to spend a significant amount of time adding strength to his frame.

Prato, Roughead, Cordy, Mulligan and now Tom Hill will give us a lot of developing talls.

Time for Gary Dempsey or Scotty Wynd to come back to the fold

divvydan
18-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Tom Hill about to be on SEN.

chef
18-11-2010, 11:12 PM

Is John Barnes still involved with the club

divvydan
18-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Interview notes:

WB had spoken with him throughout the year.

Is living in Sydney, playing with GWS, was contracted to them for next year in VFL, was actually at their opening training session tonight

Northern Knights product, went to draft camp as 17 and 18 yo, overlooked in both drafts.

Had knee surgery in April, didn't mention what it was, obviously not ACL.

St Kilda supporter growing up, looks up and tries to model his game on Riewoldt as a lead up forward.

Had a lot of injuries over the years which meant he has a lot of developing to do. Is currently 200cm/90kg

bulldogsman
18-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Interview notes:

Is living in Sydney, playing with GWS, was contracted to them for next year in VFL, was actually at their opening training session tonight

Northern Knights product, went to draft camp as 17 and 18 yo, overlooked in both drafts.

St Kilda supporter growing up, looks up and tries to model his game on Riewoldt as a lead up forward.

Had a lot of injuries over the years which meant he has a lot of developing to do. Is currently 200cm/90kg

Thanks for that :)

Hope he stays out of the injury room.

soupman
19-11-2010, 12:16 AM
In Rocket's interview on SEN he quickly mentioned that he is a full-forward who has good pace for someone so tall and good hands. Mentioned that with Barry Hall obviously not having too many years left we needed to look at potential replacements, so it would seem we plan on Hill being a forward.

I guess we are looking at a future forward line od Jones at CHF, Grant as a third tall rotating between HF and FP and Hill or Panos being that bigger full forward.

chef
19-11-2010, 07:25 AM
Interview notes:

Here's an article on the injury
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/blessing-in-disguise-for-tom-hill/story-fn53klc6-1225876167731

Mantis
19-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Is John Barnes still involved with the club

Yes he is.

I'm not sure if his role is part-time or not, but he does our ruck coaching... from what I have heard he is very good at it too.

Twodogs
19-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Yes he is.

I'm not sure if his role is part-time or not, but he does our ruck coaching... from what I have heard he is very good at it too.

Yeah. I've heard nothing but good things about his ruck coaching.

Huddo's improved his game under him and Roughead has come on well.

Bulldog Revolution
19-11-2010, 01:25 PM
So Hill is sounding like deep key forward and maybe develop in time might also be a backup ruckman.

GWS would be annoyed with our drafting of him I'd suspect

Yeah. I've heard nothing but good things about his ruck coaching.

Huddo's improved his game under him and Roughead has come on well.

Barnes was a terrific player himself, and hes clearly a bit of a rogue, but he does seem to have been good for us.

Go_Dogs
19-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Interesting selection, however given the balance of our list probably a good one.

I wonder if one of Hill or Jones could become a longer term option in the back half, I hope one of them can, if not then I hope both can be developed to play at either end.

All the best to Tom.

ledge
19-11-2010, 02:11 PM
So Hill is sounding like deep key forward and maybe develop in time might also be a backup ruckman.

Barnes was a terrific player himself, and hes clearly a bit of a rogue, but he does seem to have been good for us.

I had the pleasure of seeing Barnes when he was at Melton , awesome with the younger players instructing etc, also had the engine that would go from one end of the ground to the other all day.
Melton is not a small ground either!

mighty_west
19-11-2010, 02:17 PM

Good, along with GC, with what they are given on a platter up front, it's good to get one back [let's hope he turns out to be a good player].

Mofra
19-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Someone who knows him likens him to Doug Hawkins. Carries on like a clown at times and people doubt his intellect, but has a very sharp football brain.

LostDoggy
19-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Out of all the selections, i am genuinely excited about Hill.

Bulldog Revolution
20-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Out of all the selections, i am genuinely excited about Hill.

interesting - i view him as the longest shot of them all

comrade
20-11-2010, 03:49 PM

I agree. I feel the same way about Hill as I did about Markovic - uninspired.

Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

LostDoggy
20-11-2010, 06:29 PM

Agree. Overlooked in 2008 and 2009 and played next to no footy in 2010, he's a longshot for sure. Hope he can put all the injuries behind him and get some solid games in at Willy for starters.

bulldogsman
21-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Agree. Overlooked in 2008 and 2009 and played next to no footy in 2010, he's a longshot for sure. Hope he can put all the injuries behind him and get some solid games in at Willy for starters.

Wasn't aware he played next to no footy this year. I'm a bit of a fan, but I don't understand why we didn't rookie him after he was overlooked twice already. I guess GWS wanted him :confused:

Mofra
21-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Someone else alluded to the fact his development has been hampered by injuries, not a lack of talent. It's probably easier to overcome injury than it is to add talent so in terms of a risk vs reward scenario we're probably better off with a kid who was injury prone during his draftign years vs someone who has borderline ability.

I have to admit I thought we were ok for tall forwards given Grant can play as a leading forward, Cordy, Roughead will spend time forward and Jones looks like he has potential, and surprised the club has already earmarked Hill for a forward spot. Will be interesting to see how the Willy lien up if oth Panos & Hill make the senior team.

LostDoggy
22-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Didn't we all say we would rather use our late picks on potential young players rather than the recycled players?

I don't think we have done anything wrong with this selection. Like any player taken this late, it's a risk, he might make it, he might bust. Let's just wait and see how it pans out before we criticise.

mighty_west
22-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Someone else alluded to the fact his development has been hampered by injuries, not a lack of talent. It's probably easier to overcome injury than it is to add talent so in terms of a risk vs reward scenario we're probably better off with a kid who was injury prone during his draftign years vs someone who has borderline ability.

I have to admit I thought we were ok for tall forwards given Grant can play as a leading forward, Cordy, Roughead will spend time forward and Jones looks like he has potential, and surprised the club has already earmarked Hill for a forward spot. Will be interesting to see how the Willy lien up if oth Panos & Hill make the senior team.

We really need to start developing tall defenders for the future, and even though Rocket said he was looked at to maybe take over Barry Hall's role up forward, i wonder if he was also seen as maybe being a tall defender in the future, perhaps even looking at developing Panos into a full back, just like with Lake who came to the club as a forward, Mulligan i just don't rate, doesn't seem to have enough talent to play at the top level, and Markovic, well, he's a bit slow.

Roughead is going to be our number one ruck, Grant obviously a leading forward whether it being at FF or off a half foward, Cordy is still an unknown at this stage, Jones is just a natural CHF and showed enough signs to make that his position for the next decade.

So, to me, it's going to be interesting to see how we develop both Panos & Tom Hill, if both make it, surely at least one of them will have to develop into a defender.

Sockeye Salmon
22-11-2010, 02:42 PM
We really need to start developing tall defenders for the future, and even though Rocket said he was looked at to maybe take over Barry Hall's role up forward, i wonder if he was also seen as maybe being a tall defender in the future, perhaps even looking at developing Panos into a full back, just like with Lake who came to the club as a forward, Mulligan i just don't rate, doesn't seem to have enough talent to play at the top level, and Markovic, well, he's a bit slow.

Roughead is going to be our number one ruck, Grant obviously a leading forward whether it being at FF or off a half foward, Cordy is still an unknown at this stage, Jones is just a natural CHF and showed enough signs to make that his position for the next decade.

So, to me, it's going to be interesting to see how we develop both Panos & Tom Hill, if both make it, surely at least one of them will have to develop into a defender.

Panos can't possibly make it as a defender. He's too slow for a flank and too short for a key spot.

One of the biggest problems with the chopping the arms rule is if the defender is shorter than his opponent he's screwed.

Bruce Doull and Francis Bourke would never have played key back if these rules were around in the 70's.

Greystache
22-11-2010, 02:47 PM

I can't see Panos making it as a defender, the main knock on him is his lack of pace and general athleticism. I think he's still a chance to make it as an AFL player because he's got really good football smarts and is a beautiful kick for goal, but it will come down to how much he can improve on his areas of weakness. If he was to play in defence it would take away the one aspect of his game that makes him a chance IMO.

Mofra
22-11-2010, 04:17 PM
If we nominate Grant as a flanker (and with his pace he was just about our best crumber last year, never mind his sticky hands) we still have Jones and either Roughead or Cordy up forward - if either of them play as a pure resting ruckman we will have room for one geniune big leading FF, but they'd want to have a bit of toe because defensive rebound seems to be the way teams plan their set plays in modern football.

Given a Hill or Zephi could well kick on and they can both take a grab, the question will be whether we need another big forward or would be better served by a quick mid-sized forward.

stefoid
22-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Tom is supposed to be able to switch seamlessly between defence and attack.

Panos is a forward if he is to make it.

Ghost Dog
22-11-2010, 08:11 PM
If we nominate Grant as a flanker (and with his pace he was just about our best crumber last year, never mind his sticky hands) we still have Jones and either Roughead or Cordy up forward - if either of them play as a pure resting ruckman we will have room for one geniune big leading FF, but they'd want to have a bit of toe because defensive rebound seems to be the way teams plan their set plays in modern football.

Given a Hill or Zephi could well kick on and they can both take a grab, the question will be whether we need another big forward or would be better served by a quick mid-sized forward.

oh yes. I remember quite a few times, crumbing from Barry and darting into the square; leaving the op in his dust. One way of perhaps justifying keeping Grant in the f50 is his defensive effort. Capacity to lay a chase down tackle is elite. Modern teams just lock it in the arc. The best teams all have forwards who can tackle like machines. Disagree?

KT31
22-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Tom is supposed to be able to switch seamlessly between defence and attack. Panos is a forward if he is to make it.

Maybe in a lower league, but at AFL level will be a big ask.
Not to many can achieve this and from memory Chris Grant was the last bloke we had that was more than capable at each end.

Mofra
22-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Not to many can achieve this and from memory Chris Grant was the last bloke we had that was more than capable at each end.
Lake arguably, but nowhere as adept as a forward.
It would be preferable to let the kid find a position rather than just trying to be the jack of all trades.

boydogs
22-11-2010, 09:10 PM

Robert Murphy does it well

azabob
22-11-2010, 09:30 PM

Yes he does and in a different way to Grant but almost if not as effective as Grant.

stefoid
23-11-2010, 09:49 AM

Yep, but it does mean he could be developed as a forward or a back, unlike Panos who could not be developed as a back.

Dazza
23-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Jones has the capabilities IMO.

He'll soon have the body for full back. He's got the height and the speed + the competitive edge. His defensive efforts in the F50 were top notch in the few games he played for us this year.

The question is does this rob Peter to pay Paul?

Topdog
23-11-2010, 10:20 AM

But not as a KP player. That is the big difference. There are a heap of small players that play both ends but not many as well as Bob.

Desipura
23-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Jones has the capabilities IMO.

He'll soon have the body for full back. He's got the height and the speed + the competitive edge. His defensive efforts in the F50 were top notch in the few games he played for us this year.

The question is does this rob Peter to pay Paul?

Jones is a very good reader of the play and will develop into a reliable mark. His kicking is quiet good and his ability to chase and lay a tackle is a highlight.

We can potentially build a team around Jones at centre half forward which would makes us a more formidable unit up front.

Sedat
23-11-2010, 12:43 PM
FWIW, comment below from a rival club staff member in relation to Tom Hill:

"Hill is certainly coming from along way back. Big ask to get him up to play AFL. I would have thought Marchbank or Cope were better prospects but I have to admit I haven't seen Hill play for over 12 months. He has had some terrible injuries and his body has been very, very fragile in the past."

Doesn't inspire me with a great deal of confidence. I'd have thought some mid sized defensive cover was a higher priority on our list than a (very speculative) ruck/tall forward prospect. Pretty comfortable on the surface with the Schofield and Skinner selections but quite unsure with this one on face value, considering the more pressing needs on our list. Hopefully he turns out to be an inspired choice.

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 01:25 PM
FWIW, comment below from a rival club staff member in relation to Tom Hill:

"Hill is certainly coming from along way back. Big ask to get him up to play AFL. I would have thought Marchbank or Cope were better prospects but I have to admit I haven't seen Hill play for over 12 months. He has had some terrible injuries and his body has been very, very fragile in the past."

Doesn't inspire me with a great deal of confidence. I'd have thought some mid sized defensive cover was a higher priority on our list than a (very speculative) ruck/tall forward prospect. Pretty comfortable on the surface with the Schofield and Skinner selections but quite unsure with this one on face value, considering the more pressing needs on our list. Hopefully he turns out to be an inspired choice.

Hey, if there's any team with experience fixing long-term injured big guys, it would be us. Tom Williams' medical records alone would fill a good-sized filing cabinet, but he seems to be over the worst of it now so maybe we figure that we can rehab these guys into serviceable players that fill out the structure.

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 02:44 PM
I was surprised that Leif Cope didn't go in the draft from what i read about him and the footage i saw. Looked like a good 2nd ruck/KP forward option potentially. I'm interested to see if he goes in the rookie draft. Be keeping an eye on him wherever he goes.

boydogs
24-11-2010, 01:38 AM
All the talk of needing a swingman, having too many tall forwards etc. ignores how tough it is to get a quality tall forward. How quickly we forget.

If he develops into a player, and Panos, Grant, Jones & Roughead fire as well, then there will be significant currency for a quality KPF in a trade.