PDA

View Full Version : How many new faces will we see Rd 1 2011?

Dry Rot
22-11-2010, 01:19 PM
We now know who we've got on the main list for 2011.

With a mix of trading and getting Skinner (not an 18 year old) plus the development of existing players like Roughead, we may see quite a few new faces in Round 1, 2011.

I've has a crack at some possibilities below, subject to a few assumptions:

1. "Definitie players" means guys that are highly likely to play in the positions they usually do eg Lake at FB.

2. "Possible players" are a mix of players who will selected but may in several positions eg Murphy and outsiders/young players etc

3. The new bench arrangements complicate things. I have assumed that the sub will probably be a midfielder, and the last of 3 normal players could be anything eg second ruckman, midfielder, utility

4. Everyone's available Rd 1

Backline

Definite players

Lake Morris Williams Hargrave

Possible players

Gilbee, Murphy, Wood, DJ, maybe Howard if the pre season treats him well

Ruck + midfield

Definite players

Hudson, Cooney, Griffen, Boyd, Cross, Sherman, Picken, Ward (that's full - seven including 5 on the field, 2 on the bench but not the third and fourth bench positions)

Forward line

Definite players

Hall, Gia, Grant

Possible players

Vespa, Higgins, Hill, Skinner, Jones, Roughead

Third bench position

Possible players

Higgins, Minson, Roughead, Skinner, Moles, Wallis or Reid (latter two unlikely)

Sub

No one knows how this tactics with this will play out. Will it be a good player who couldn't get spot say Higgins or blood a youngster like Wallis or something else?

On paper, it looks like a lot of competition for many spots. But in terms of new faces, these could range from only one (Sherman) to quite a few including Vespa, DJ and a smokey or two like Skinner.

Thoughts?

Hotdog60
22-11-2010, 02:25 PM
You don't see Wee man as a possible for the opening round?

Dry Rot
22-11-2010, 03:35 PM
You don't see Wee man as a possible for the opening round?

Good point, but there's a few ahead of him IMO.

Mofra
22-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Interesting you've put Shaggy as a definate - to me it would depend on fitness, and do we know how his ankle is going?
We may find a call has to be made on Gilbee and Shaggy, with Murphy & Wood getting a gig in the back 6 and Gilbs & Shaggy fighting it out for the last spot.

I would have to throw in DFA's name into the sub mix - he has played multiple roles and finished last season off well. If given a role we know he'd stick to it so provides injury cover, yet can be added to the inside midfielders rotation if there's no injury and Eade wants to pull the trigger.

LostDoggy
22-11-2010, 04:23 PM
I hate this sub rule already.

Bulldog4life
22-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Interesting you've put Shaggy as a definate - to me it would depend on fitness, and do we know how his ankle is going?
We may find a call has to be made on Gilbee and Shaggy, with Murphy & Wood getting a gig in the back 6 and Gilbs & Shaggy fighting it out for the last spot.

I would have to throw in DFA's name into the sub mix - he has played multiple roles and finished last season off well. If given a role we know he'd stick to it so provides injury cover, yet can be added to the inside midfielders rotation if there's no injury and Eade wants to pull the trigger.

Not in round 1 as he is suspended but I agree he could be a sub as the season progresses.

Mantis
22-11-2010, 04:48 PM

Report on the website says that he won't be joining in full training until after the xmas break.

see here: Injured Dogs to return post-Xmas (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/105496/default.aspx)

Mofra
22-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Not in round 1 as he is suspended but I agree he could be a sub as the season progresses.
My mistake.

Report on the website says that he won't be joining in full training until after the xmas break.

see here: Injured Dogs to return post-Xmas (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/105496/default.aspx)
That would certainly have to put him behind the 8 ball - given a history of problems we'd want to get him right first methinks.

Sockeye Salmon
22-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Davoren said he was very happy with the fitness of new Bulldogs Nathan Djerrkura, Justin Sherman and Patrick Veszpremi, with the former winning last week's 3.2km time trial.

I thought one of the knocks on Djerrkura was he couldn't run in the midfield?

Scraggers
22-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Good thread DR ... a great way to get our heads around the SUB issue; and I like your first attempt at the team.

To me, I would have Murphy as a definite (if fit) ... whether he is half forward or half back he reads the game better than most in our squad (highly skillful too) and therefor a certain inclusion.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Davoren said he was very happy with the fitness of new Bulldogs Nathan Djerrkura, Justin Sherman and Patrick Veszpremi, with the former winning last week's 3.2km time trial.

I thought one of the knocks on Djerrkura was he couldn't run in the midfield?

The knock on him is that he doesn't find enough of the ball to play midfield. His skills aren't terrific either, by all reports.

His work ethic etc. has always been praised.

soupman
22-11-2010, 05:57 PM
What did Addison get suspended for?

chef
22-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Any one of Sherman, Djerrkura, Veszpremi, Cordy, Howard, Tutt, Markovic and Skinner would have to be a chance come round 1. I guess it all comes down to injury(and preseason form).

Bulldog4life
22-11-2010, 08:10 PM
What did Addison get suspended for?

Not quite sure but he could have accepted a reprimand but chose instead to challenge it and lost and received one week.

KT31
22-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Not quite sure but he could have accepted a reprimand but chose instead to challenge it and lost and received one week.

A weak as desision by the tribunal for a love tap to Gilbert.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/defiant-dylan-addison-says-he-will-keep-playing-the-same-way-despite-suspension/story-e6frg7mf-1225927539528

LostDoggy
22-11-2010, 09:00 PM
I dont see Hargrave as a definite Dry Rot. He may have had an ankle problem but he was poor this year.

LostDoggy
22-11-2010, 10:04 PM
I dont see Hargrave as a definite Dry Rot. He may have had an ankle problem but he was poor this year.

If fit he will be in 100%, he provides plenty of run and without JH he will be more important

BulldogBelle
22-11-2010, 10:41 PM

Agree. He willl find himself under pressure for his spot this year. Not the automatic selection he was in years gone by.

LostDoggy
22-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Was it 1983? We debuted 10 new players to the club in round 1?

LostDoggy
22-11-2010, 11:08 PM

I am a little young to remember:D

The Coon Dog
22-11-2010, 11:08 PM

It was only 6:

Andrew Purser
Brian Royal
Ian Williams
Steve Wallis
John Taylor
Jim Sewell

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 08:53 AM
It was only 6:

Andrew Purser
Brian Royal
Ian Williams
Steve Wallis
John Taylor
Jim Sewell

Wasn't there a few recycles too? Maybe a few players like Hansen, Duperouzel, Lunn, Kellett, Foster?

The Coon Dog
23-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Wasn't there a few recycles too? EG Hansen?

Sorry, I thought you meant first gamers.

The recycles were:

Chris Hansen
Robert Semmens
Stephen Lunn
Mark Kellett

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Sorry, I thought you meant first gamers.

The recycles were:

Chris Hansen
Robert Semmens
Stephen Lunn
Mark Kellett

Thanks. So 10 then. I remember Lou Richards? saying that we weren't chance as we were still introducing ourselves to each other.

We must of debuted and recycled a few players that year after finishing last the previous year.