PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Hahn back in the kennel at the Western Bulldogs

chef
22-11-2010, 09:42 PM
MITCH Hahn may not have played his last game for the Western Bulldogs.

Barely two weeks after he was delisted, the veteran utility has been thrown a lifeline by the Dogs.

The Herald Sun understands Hahn will be retained as a rookie at the Whitten Oval .

The 29-year-old is expected to join teammates this morning for his first training session for the new season.

There are no limits on age or experience for rookie-listed players, meaning the Dogs can sign Hahn as insurance.

He will spend next season at the club's VFL affiliate, Williamstown, but could regain his place on the senior list in the event of a long-term injury to a teammate.

It is understood Hahn will also assume a part-time coaching role at the second-tier club after impressing club officials with his teaching work at nearby Maribyrnong College, regarded as Victoria's first sports school.

Hahn, a life member with 181 games to his name, struggled for form this year, despite playing 19 games, including all three of the Dogs' finals.

He was initially not helped by the Dogs being under salary cap pressure for next season.

The club had earlier promoted rookies Andrew Hooper and Brodie Moles to the senior list for next season after both made an impact at AFL level this year.

Football manager James Fantasia did not return calls

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mitch-hahn-back-in-the-kennel-at-the-western-bulldogs/story-e6frf9jf-1225958787103

divvydan
22-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Is this part of our ongoing relationship with Williamstown where they help fund one of our rookie list places or seperate to that?

LostDoggy
22-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Williamstown give the club $20 000 to fund a rookie from the VFL does not have to be a Williamstown player so i don't think Mitch will fall under that banner

BulldogBelle
22-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Yes!!

I always had a small feeling that we might go down this path!

Bulldog Joe
22-11-2010, 10:41 PM
A great way to treat a club stalwart.

Mitch should be very good with the young players.

LostDoggy
22-11-2010, 10:45 PM
This is a very weird move, i really don't think Mitch will give us much if he is asked to step in.

Bulldog Joe
22-11-2010, 10:53 PM
This is a very weird move, i really don't think Mitch will give us much if he is asked to step in.

It is obvious that they only delisted Mitch because of salary cap issues.

This allows Mitch to be part of the playing roster, but also gets him involved in coaching and they obviously believe he has a lot to offer in the coaching area.

He does offer back up where the club knows he can play a role if required.

LostDoggy
22-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Mitch is a very popular figure at the club and a role model for the younger guys, I think this is a very good move and cost us only our last pick in the rookie draft.

As long as mitch is willing to play at Williamstown it is a win win situation

LostDoggy
22-11-2010, 11:04 PM
It is obvious that they only delisted Mitch because of salary cap issues.

This allows Mitch to be part of the playing roster, but also gets him involved in coaching and they obviously believe he has a lot to offer in the coaching area.

He does offer back up where the club knows he can play a role if required.

He struggled to find any sort of form after injury this season, i don't see how we can ask him to step & play a role, if he has been playing VFL for a large part of 2011.

Obviously it's not purely based on his playing ability, i just don't know about the decision, just yet.

Sockeye Salmon
23-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Silly move IMO. Hahn is done and dusted.

Ghost Dog
23-11-2010, 01:19 AM
Dunno. Good move IMO
The eyesocket thing ; took a long time to come back after that.
If he had had even just a slightly better 2010. would anyone think this is a bad idea?
Personally, I'm glad. But hey, I'm a sentimental bloke.

Scorlibo
23-11-2010, 01:49 AM
There are no negatives here. Good move, he can come in at any point as an experienced player who we know will give his all, but it's also clear that the kids come first.

Remi Moses
23-11-2010, 02:15 AM
Strange decision this one and has to be purely an emergency clause.
Great to see the old school getting a bunk up!!

BornInDroopSt'54
23-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Mitch is a very popular figure at the club and a role model for the younger guys, I think this is a very good move and cost us only our last pick in the rookie draft.

As long as mitch is willing to play at Williamstown it is a win win situation

Spot on.
He is a leader and a teacher, even if he is a liability in the ones.

chef
23-11-2010, 08:30 AM

I agree with this, I would rather give his spot to a kid.

And I don't like the idea of him taking a spot at Willi either when we have quite a few young developing forwards back there.

Mantis
23-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Spot on.
He is a leader and a teacher, even if he is a liability in the ones.

So why not just keep him on at Willi as an ass. coach and give his rookie spot to someone who might be of value?

Desipura
23-11-2010, 10:03 AM

This ^^^^^. I hope it does not prevent us going for a Little.

Mantis
23-11-2010, 10:22 AM
I hope it does not prevent us going for a Little.

If keeping Hahn means we don't go anywhere near Little then I am all for keeping Mitch.

IMO Little is a player we do not need.

Desipura
23-11-2010, 10:51 AM
If keeping Hahn means we don't go anywhere near Little then I am all for keeping Mitch.

IMO Little is a player we do not need.

Thats ok, I would much prefer we pick up a mature aged rookie who addresses a weakness ie a kpp backman
I guess a 3rd tall is not as high priority as it was before the draft.
With Danny Hughes training with us. Perhaps the club feels it is still a priority to pick up a 3rd tall.

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 12:29 PM
So why not just keep him on at Willi as an ass. coach and give his rookie spot to someone who might be of value?

This.

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Do we now get the honour of the oldest mature age rookie after Pods?.

Love him but he's taking a spot for a year of someone. 6 months older and 6 moths slower. As Mantis said if they want him as a Willy assistant, then keep him as that.

I don't play the backup backman/forward reasoning. If we need someone for that role then go out and get a mature player from the regional state leagues as cover.

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Just heard on the news that Mitch is deciding between coaching and the rookie spot at the Bulldogs.

Throughandthrough
23-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Do we now get the honour of the oldest mature age rookie after Pods?.

Love him but he's taking a spot for a year of someone. 6 months older and 6 moths slower. As Mantis said if they want him as a Willy assistant, then keep him as that.

I don't play the backup backman/forward reasoning. If we need someone for that role then go out and get a mature player from the regional state leagues as cover.

Hypothetical

2011, we win the prelim final by 3 points (over the Crows) after a goal after the siren, from a dubious free kick, to Grant.

Celebrating 2 hard, Grant runs into Roughhead, who falls over and lands on Murphy, who falls over and lands on Jones, all 4 twist their ankles and will miss the gf

Who would you bring in, Mitch Hahn, or a skinny 18 yo who has played a mix of reserves and league for Willy

:)

LostDoggy
23-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Hypothetical

2011, we win the prelim final by 3 points (over the Crows) after a goal after the siren, from a dubious free kick, to Grant.

Celebrating 2 hard, Grant runs into Roughhead, who falls over and lands on Murphy, who falls over and lands on Jones, all 4 twist their ankles and will miss the gf

Who would you bring in, Mitch Hahn, or a skinny 18 yo who has played a mix of reserves and league for Willy

:)

Fantastic hypothetical T&T :D Hypothetically you'd have thought that may have occured once in 50 years :D

hujsh
23-11-2010, 02:56 PM
There are no negatives here. Good move, he can come in at any point as an experienced player who we know will give his all, but it's also clear that the kids come first.

May miss out on a rookie who could bring something to the club and could see the development of Panos, Hill (tom), Cordy, Jones or any other key forward we have a Willy get stiffled. Potential to go either way here.

Hotdog60
23-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Hahn's second chance
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20K-O/Hahn_train_246a.jpg

MITCH Hahn has started pre-season training with the Western Bulldogs ahead of the December 7 NAB AFL Rookie Draft.

Hahn, 29, has already been offered a spot on the Dogs' rookie list but is weighing up whether he wants to remain at the club outside the senior list or pursue a full-time coaching role.

Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade said the club offered Hahn a rookie spot to provide coverage in the forward line.

"Mitch is interested in coaching and we know he's done a good job around different parts of the local community," Eade said.

"Williamstown are obviously keen. Maybe he could add a bit of coaching experience there.

"It's not over the line as such but it's an option we've spoken about."

Eade said Hahn could handle both a rookie role and a part-time coaching gig, but his own fitness and form would remain a priority if he decided to accept the Dogs' offer.

He also said the 181-game player was not averse to the idea of continuing as a mature-aged rookie.

"It's up to him about working through the pros and cons about what he wants to do with his career," Eade said.

"He's disappointed not being on the senior list but he thinks he can play senior footy, so he's got that passion and drive."

The Bulldogs also have ex-Sydney Swan Ed Curnow and former Demon Danny Hughes at training hoping for a spot on the rookie list.

MORE (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/105535/default.aspx)

Mantis
23-11-2010, 03:40 PM
The Bulldogs also have ex-Sydney Swan Ed Curnow and former Demon Danny Hughes at training hoping for a spot on the rookie list.

More quality work from an AFL scribe.

Desipura
23-11-2010, 03:47 PM
With Danny Hughes training with us, perhaps the club still feels we might need a 3rd tall.

soupman
23-11-2010, 03:57 PM
With Danny Hughes training with us, perhaps the club still feels we might need a 3rd tall.

I'm pretty sure Hughes was 186cm.

Desipura
23-11-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm pretty sure Hughes was 186cm. Meaning?

soupman
23-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Meaning?

I took your post to be implying that Danny Hughes training with us showed that we were looking at a third tall, yet to my knowledge Hughes isn't tall enough to be a third tall.

Basically I read it as you saying Hughes would be that third tall (which I don't consider feasible), when if I understand correctly you are saying that having Hughes at the club suggests that we are still on the lookout for a worthy tall. Is that right or am I just an idiot?

Sockeye Salmon
23-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Maybe it's not the Danny Hughes that was on Melbourne's rookie list last year but the Melbourne full back from the 90's

bornadog
23-11-2010, 06:20 PM

Waste of a rookie.

chef
24-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Playing coach role for Mitch Hahn
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mitch-hahn-back-in-the-kennel-at-the-western-bulldogs/story-e6frf9jf-1225958787103

Desipura
24-11-2010, 10:04 AM
I took your post to be implying that Danny Hughes training with us showed that we were looking at a third tall, yet to my knowledge Hughes isn't tall enough to be a third tall.

Basically I read it as you saying Hughes would be that third tall (which I don't consider feasible), when if I understand correctly you are saying that having Hughes at the club suggests that we are still on the lookout for a worthy tall. Is that right or am I just an idiot?

I consider a 3rd tall as a player that is not tall enough to play as a kpp but a player who is a good mark for their size and plays tall and small, similar to Brad Johnson at 182cm tall.
Therefore Hughes is in a similar category although Brad was quicker and could cover more ground in his day.

LostDoggy
24-11-2010, 10:33 AM
This is a good move. On one hand we have a backup player we know will give his all, not some bloke from the regionals who would be an unknown quantity. Don't forget Hahn played 19 games and 3 finals this year, so slotting him in as a backup is a great option because the other boys on the team know his moves, know how he likes to play. Critical for a forward OR a backman.

I'm also happy in that we've done the right thing by Mitch, and this counts. If you want loyalty and professionalism from your employees you have to reciprocate.

He's well-liked, professional, realistic about his situation — ie he knows he's dropping form, he's not Aker — and he'll be on rookie wages no doubt. So I fail to see how this is a negative at all. We've got so much experience going out the door and so many young'uns coming in the “he's taking someone else's spot” argument loses a lot of cred.

LostDoggy
24-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Unfortunately, doing the right thing does not win premierships.

Hahn is slow, will be slower next year. Will have one less bench player to rotate off the ground. This is a bad move.

Jeanette54
26-11-2010, 09:55 PM
I for one, am glad to hear that loyalty, courage and sevice are still qualities that have some value at the 'Dogs.

Welcome back home Mitch, I hope your return is both fruitful for the team and yourself.

AndrewP6
26-11-2010, 10:39 PM
As much as I like Mitch, I think this is a bit of a waste. If he's only being rookied as insurance "in case" someone e.g. Hall goes down, and otherwise he'll be at Willy, that's a bit pointless IMO. Give the spot to a kid.

OLD SCRAGGer
27-11-2010, 10:13 AM
I for one, am glad to hear that loyalty, courage and sevice are still qualities that have some value at the 'Dogs.

Welcome back home Mitch, I hope your return is both fruitful for the team and yourself.

Here Here :)