PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs prepare for an election they can get excited about

chef
24-11-2010, 08:04 AM
IF YOU think Victoria has election fatigue after federal and state polls in the space of three months, spare a thought for the Western Bulldogs, about to embark on another election campaign, lasting all summer long.

For the Bulldogs, this third poll - to decide the successor as captain to the retired Brad Johnson - is no less important. There are up to half-a-dozen candidates on the ballot paper, no clear favourite, and every prospect that even the club will still be guessing come late February, when a decision is expected to be made.

Adam Cooney, Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross, Daniel Giansiracusa and Dale Morris have got the next three months to sort themselves out, and coach Rodney Eade won't be holding back putting their credentials to the test.

"The way we look at it, we've got three or four guys in the leadership group we think are fairly good candidates for it," Eade said yesterday. "There might be one or two ahead of the others, but we're going to give them time and give them some projects over the next three months and some scenarios and see how these guys handle it and see which one stands out above the rest."

The scenario isn't entirely new for the coach. In 2005, his first season as Bulldogs' coach, Luke Darcy was given the skipper's role at a similarly late juncture in proceedings.

Pre-season training continues, meanwhile, with the requisite cast of old hands, newcomers from elsewhere such as Patrick Veszpremi, Nathan Djerrkura and Justin Sherman, and the cubs inducted into the mix at last week's national draft, or in the case of father-son selections Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore, a little before that. Eade was suitably enthused about the prospects of both at training yesterday, tipping both capable of playing at senior level in 2011.

"They're both very mature lads, and they have that steely determination both their dads had," Eade said. "Steve Wallis was captain of the club, and you can see the leadership qualities in Mitch, and Tom's a little bit taller than his dad, but he's got the same left foot. I think there are obvious similarities, but I think they'll make their own mark as well."

Eade was similarly excited by the prospects of indigenous talent Zephaniah Skinner, already dubbed the "Z-man" and looming as a potential cult figure, who the club came close to listing as a rookie last year, but had no reservations about 12 months on, after a season spent with the Northern Territory Thunder in the Queensland League, where he won best first-year player.

Training yesterday also featured the presence of veteran Mitch Hahn, recently delisted but offered a spot as a rookie by the club this week, with the possibility of some coaching work with VFL club Williamstown. While Hahn still has hopes of continuing his AFL career, Eade said the spot was his if he wanted it.

"Mitch is interested in coaching and we know he's done a good job around different parts of the local community," Eade said. ''Williamstown are obviously keen. Maybe he could add a bit of coaching experience there.

''It's not over the line, as such, but it's an option we've spoken about.

"It's up to him about working through the pros and cons about what he wants to do with his career. He's disappointed not being on the senior list, but he thinks he can play senior footy, so he's got that passion and drive."

Eade said he was hopeful that Cooney, Callan Ward, Ryan Hargrave, all of whom have been in a rehabilitation group, would be running again over the next three weeks. All-Australian full-back Brian Lake, however, won't resume running until mid-January after a knee injury carried through the finals series, and hip surgery three weeks ago.

"He carried a knee for the last four weeks, and it was a bit worse than we thought at the time," Eade said of Lake.

Eade said he was confident the Dogs could challenge again after three successive preliminary final defeats.

"I think the main thing where we've fallen down is being able to execute under real pressure," he said.

"The last two preliminary finals, we've had more scoring opportunities than the opposition, and had our chances.

"I think there's still enough confidence and belief in the group.

''Obviously, we've lost a bit of experience, but I'm fairly comfortable the guys we've traded for are adding a bit of pace and talent, and then there's the younger ones coming through."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bulldogs-prepare-for-an-election-they-can-get-excited-about-20101123-185nj.html

comrade
24-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Adam Cooney, Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross, Daniel Giansiracusa and Dale Morris have got the next three months to sort themselves out, and coach Rodney Eade won't be holding back putting their credentials to the test.

I wish.

Desipura
24-11-2010, 10:00 AM
I wish.
Not beyond the realms of possibility.

Cyberdoggie
24-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Not sure about the comment on Tom Liberatore's left foot being the same as his dad's.

Tony's wasn't the best, his little legs lacked the penetration and power, and he would generally sky the ball with his passes. I think Tom's kicking is much better than his father's, mostly because he's taller.

If Eade means that they look similar when they kick then i guess that would be more on the money.

mighty_west
24-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Not sure about the comment on Tom Liberatore's left foot being the same as his dad's.

Tony's wasn't the best, his little legs lacked the penetration and power, and he would generally sky the ball with his passes. I think Tom's kicking is much better than his father's, mostly because he's taller.

If Eade means that they look similar when they kick then i guess that would be more on the money.

I thought it was a strange comment as well.

LostDoggy
24-11-2010, 02:04 PM
The Z-man... love it.

Murphy'sLore
24-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Just to clarify, is it Zed-man or Zee-man?

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Eade is gold in these types of pieces,

Hopefully he is right and we can be there abouts again

Twodogs
25-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Just to clarify, is it Zed-man or Zee-man?

Zed-man. If we were in America he would be Zee-man.

Twodogs
25-11-2010, 12:37 PM

The way it reads it sounds like Tony had his left foot amputated and transplanted onto Tom's leg...

LostDoggy
25-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Zed-man. If we were in America he would be Zee-man.

But we've already got Wee-man, so we should call him Zee-man!! :D

Twodogs
25-11-2010, 12:57 PM
But we've already got Wee-man, so we should call him Zee-man!! :D

Zee instead of zed is one of my pet hates. That and people pronouncing the word lieutenant as lootenant instead of leftenant. Unless they are in the navy, then it's OK.

Pedantic much?:D

Oh and if we draft Ed Barlow from Sydney he could be the Ed-man to go with the Zed-man!

Murphy'sLore
25-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Zee instead of zed is one of my pet hates. That and people pronouncing the word lieutenant as lootenant instead of leftenant. Unless they are in the navy, then it's OK.

You're not the only one! Just checking, very pleased it's Zed-man, but you just never know these days... :o Can't even stop my kids saying it. Must be too much Sesame Street!

(Hate skedule for shedule, too.)

Desipura
25-11-2010, 01:03 PM

Oh and if we draft Ed Barlow from Sydney he could be the Ed-man to go with the Zed-man!
You like to go off track dont you? And I thought I went off track? No replies Coondog. :D

Twodogs
25-11-2010, 10:57 PM
You're not the only one! Just checking, very pleased it's Zed-man, but you just never know these days... :o Can't even stop my kids saying it. Must be too much Sesame Street!

(Hate skedule for shedule, too.)

Ha! My dad wouldnt let me watch Sesame St precisely because they used 'Zee' instead of 'Zed". He said it was American cultural imperialism

Twodogs
25-11-2010, 10:58 PM
You like to go off track dont you? And I thought I went off track? No replies Coondog. :D

There was a track?

Maybe...

hujsh
26-11-2010, 01:38 AM
Ha! My dad wouldnt let me watch Sesame St precisely because they used 'Zee' instead of 'Zed". He said it was American cultural imperialism

I'm guessing your reply would have been "huh?"

Twodogs
26-11-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm guessing your reply would have been "huh?"

Sadly I understood exactly what he was talking about. It was a different time-the Vietnam war was divisive whether you were a 5 YO or middle aged .

hujsh
26-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Sadly I understood exactly what he was talking about. It was a different time-the Vietnam war was divisive whether you were a 5 YO or middle aged .

wow that's pretty amazing. I can't imagine any 5 year old today crying out 'blood for oil'. Guess that's a generation gap for you.

Murphy'sLore
26-11-2010, 12:49 PM
I dunno, my 9 yr old was (and is) quite convinced from an early age that America is the root of all evil and will drag the planet to hell in a hand-basket with their over-consumption. She's not a big fan of Chinese sweat shops either.

hujsh
26-11-2010, 12:58 PM
I dunno, my 9 yr old was (and is) quite convinced from an early age that America is the root of all evil and will drag the planet to hell in a hand-basket with their over-consumption. She's not a big fan of Chinese sweat shops either.

When i was nine i was upset that the terrorist attack coverage was interrupting Cheese TV.

The Coon Dog
26-11-2010, 01:03 PM

Smart kid that one!

Twodogs
26-11-2010, 02:28 PM
wow that's pretty amazing. I can't imagine any 5 year old today crying out 'blood for oil'. Guess that's a generation gap for you.

I have a 12 yo who is very politically aware. He suprised me with how closely he followed the machinations of the parties after the federal election. He was using words like bicameral in it's correct context.

The Coon Dog
26-11-2010, 02:40 PM
I have a 12 yo who is very politically aware. He suprised me with how closely he followed the machinations of the parties after the federal election. He was using words like bicameral in it's correct context.

Sure he's your kid? ;)

Twodogs
26-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Sure he's your kid? ;)

Even if he isnt I'm still keeping him!:D

LostDoggy
28-11-2010, 06:32 PM

Wow! That really gives me hope - I don't think the Y & Z gen care too much about anything but themselves, do they? Of course, I am making a huge generalisation here and am happy to be shot down in flames by someone passing on a story about a Gen Y who cares about what's happening in the world!

soupman
28-11-2010, 06:43 PM
When i was nine i was upset that the terrorist attack coverage was interrupting Cheese TV.

For me Princess Diana's death was saddest in the cancellation of certain tv shows for the week.