PDA

View Full Version : Geelong bid for Brad Johnson

The Coon Dog
28-11-2010, 12:01 AM
Glenn McFarlane - Herald Sun - 27 November

WESTERN Bulldogs games record holder Brad Johnson has been approached to take a coaching role with Geelong.

New Cats coach Chris Scott made a recent pitch to the former Bulldog.

Johnson is yet to make up his mind, but the 34-year-old is believed to be seriously considering it.

The role would only be part-time, given Johnson is being courted by TV networks for an on-air position next year.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/geelong-bid-for-brad-johnson/story-e6frf9jf-1225962004134)

westdog54
28-11-2010, 02:11 AM
I'm always curious when clubs go after ex players who have a clear preference for media over coaching. Having said that, if you're going to go after someone make sure its someone who'll definitely put their heart and soul into whatever it is they choose to do. Not a bad move by Scott to make a play.

ledge
28-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Brad was born for television I think.

mjp
28-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Great idea for Brad. Do the part-time thing with Geelong, do his TV.

Would be well worth his while seeing the inner workings of another club. I agree he appears destined for tv and not coaching, but he is only young and it is wise to keep your options open.

LostDoggy
29-11-2010, 10:43 AM
It'll be a hard pill to swallow, seeing this great man in Geelong colours, but I hope he does well.

I actually think he'd be excellent as a junior coach, or in the VFL.

LostDoggy
29-11-2010, 11:02 AM
Can anyone provide any insight into Brad's career aspirations?.

Whilst I am sure he could make a valuable contribution to any club, unless he has a true desire to become a career coach or administrator in some aspect It would seem that the media may provide for a better ongoing career opportunity and would be financially more rewarding.

If it Coaching/Footy Admin that he's interested in then take the opportunity to do both.

Conversely however, Hird has proven that coaching experience is not necessarily a pre-requisite to coaching at the senior level

soupman
29-11-2010, 12:56 PM

Whilst I am sure he could make a valuable contribution to any club, unless he has a true desire to become a career coach or administrator in some aspect It would seem that the media may provide for a better ongoing career opportunity and would be financially more rewarding.

If it Coaching/Footy Admin that he's interested in then take the opportunity to do both.

Conversely however, Hird has proven that coaching experience is not necessarily a pre-requisite to coaching at the senior level

And yet Voss has proved that it should be.

LostDoggy
29-11-2010, 01:18 PM

Hird has yet to prove anything other than Essendon are desperate.

LostDoggy
29-11-2010, 03:43 PM

I wish Voss and the Lions all the success they deserve and I commend the board for appointing Voss as the senior coach.;)

chef
29-11-2010, 03:45 PM

St Kilda thought the same thing with Watson.

LostDoggy
29-11-2010, 04:34 PM
St Kilda thought the same thing with Watson.

Agreed, and my post probably should have stated, "being appointed as a senior coach"

LostDoggy
05-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Johnno in colours other than the "RED, WHITE, & BLUE"
There will be civil war @ the home of Whitten

1eyedog
11-12-2010, 11:40 PM
CATS V DOGS next year
Scott presses Johnno on Bulldogs and requests tactics

Couldn't imagine Johnno giving him anything.

Ghost Dog
14-12-2010, 08:24 PM

Well said Soupaman. Brisbane. Not getting out of their dilemma in a hurry.
You just don't appoint people based on persona.
Give me a tough-as-a-dogs-bollocks VFL coach who had to earn his stripes any day over Hird or Voss.