PDA

View Full Version : Back Pocket reshuffle

LostDoggy
30-11-2010, 11:51 PM
2011 brings us a position to fill after the little tearaway JH went North for family , Fun, Sun and a few dollars more . I,ve put down Nathan Djerrkura to slot straight in , good hands , strong build , good speed , good tank . I hear you say " But he's a midfielder " , I think we are in position to say to DJ , you left Geelong to get some game time so give us some drive and skills from the BP , be consistent with your stats and you can earn the position. I hear you say , whats the next alternative , another curve ball ! Patrick Veszpremi , in the 2006 NAB under-18 All Australian team he was the BP, the view at the time was " He is very good in defence or on-ball, with his long goals a feature. Wins contested ball very well and is an excellent kick " , he was drafted to Sydney and switched forward and didn,t push on , maybe its time for him to return to where he cut his teeth . IMO we have a chance for two players who are looking to establish themselves at the top level to make the BP position their own until another slot opens . In the Pre-Season and NAB games I would like to see them both compete for the BP , last man standing wins

ledge
01-12-2010, 02:01 AM
I think Nathan Djerrkura is going to play forward.
We do have Wood.

bulldogsman
01-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Veszpremi is a must for our forward line IMO. He's the only one who resembles anything close to a small crumbing forward and his skills are needed up front. His main problem at Sydney was fitness mainly due to injury (maybe partly attitude also but i'm not sure). If he has a stellar pre season I expect him to play most of the season.

Hopefully both Wood and Howard can step up for our backline, but it wouldn't be a bad move to try out Djerrkura in the BP.

Mofra
01-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Lake, Williams, Morris, Murphy, Wood, Gilbee, Shaggy will all press claims for time at senior level, so me may be hard pressed getting a significant number of games in another BP type anyway, especially if Shaggy finally overcomes his ankle problems.

Bulldog Revolution
02-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Veszpremi is a must for our forward line IMO. He's the only one who resembles anything close to a small crumbing forward and his skills are needed up front. His main problem at Sydney was fitness mainly due to injury (maybe partly attitude also but i'm not sure). If he has a stellar pre season I expect him to play most of the season.

I haven't seen anything from Vez to make me think he is a crumber

Forward pocket sure, but not sure about his crumbing credentials

Remi Moses
02-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Not a lot of love for Vez on the Sydney Big Footy Board.
Couldn't see either of our recruits filling the Harbrow role personally.

bulldogsman
03-12-2010, 10:04 AM
I haven't seen anything from Vez to make me think he is a crumber

Forward pocket sure, but not sure about his crumbing credentials

Sorry I don't think I made myself that clear. What I was trying to say was he's the best of what we've got at the moment (as a crumber) IMO. I've seen him do it at U18 level, but your right he doesn't do it a whole heap.

LostDoggy
03-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Not a lot of love for Vez on the Sydney Big Footy Board.

Well, if they could have, GCS would've picked them instead and saved a bucket.

LostDoggy
03-12-2010, 10:36 PM

JH showed what was possible with a small quick, skilled mid-fielder in the BP , his one weakness was that one on one with a tall forward he could found wanting , his best ploy was to exploit the edges of the packs and give us a quick rebound or switch of play . In Djerrkura and Veszpremi we have the opportunity to have a stronger body in the same role played by JH , both are similar height and weight , good skills , and both have left a Club to seek playing time at AFL level. I believe Dylan Addison and SuperDooperHooper would not benefit the side playing in the BP , Dylan is going to the FP ( defensive forward ) and SDP is better suited to an "in and under " Mid-Field role . Djerrkura would give us real drive from defence and also move upfield to rove the packs, Veszpremi would give us a good mark and long kick and the ability to switch to HF to drag the opposition forward up the ground

Now its time for them to show how hungry they are in the Pre-Season and NAB Cup games !!

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/7194/nathandjerrkura.jpg (http://img526.imageshack.us/i/nathandjerrkura.jpg/)

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7218/veszpremi.jpg (http://img98.imageshack.us/i/veszpremi.jpg/)

LostDoggy
09-12-2010, 05:40 PM
JH showed what was possible with a small quick, skilled mid-fielder in the BP , .

When did Harbrow suddenly become a midfielder? Before he was a BP, he was an inconsistent, non-goalscoring defensive small forward. Good luck to Harbs in up at GC17, but he's never been a midfielder.

Ditto Hooper -- if he makes it, will be in the forward 50. There's only one criteria for in and under players: they have to be able to find the ball. Hoops is a lot of things, but "ball magnet" is not one of them.

LostDoggy
10-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Wood will take the running back pocket role I reckon.
Just wondering, does anyone think Reid could do it?

BulldogBelle
10-12-2010, 04:37 AM
Put Daniel Cross in the back pocket. A completely different player to Jarrod Harbrow. Maybe not bring him in straight away but perhaps later in the year.

Sure he hasn't got any pace and can't kick but I reckon that he would make an excellent defender. He could put his mind to the job and shut practically anybody down. He would bring his own style to the back pocket just as he has brought his own style to the midfield. Who would have thought that you could have a successful midfielder such as Cross who has little evasive skills or pace and can't kick over a jam tin.

With the inclusion of new quality midfielders (Wallis, Libba, Sherman), Cross may find himself out of a job.

The replacement for Harbrow doesn't have to be Harbrow-like. He can have a different set of skills and over-all maybe be better than Harbrow.

LostDoggy
10-12-2010, 09:48 AM
The new players are a long way off what Cross an do. Physical development notwithstanding, reading the play and getting to the ball consistently and efficiently takes experience and time to develop at AFL level.

boydogs
10-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Put Daniel Cross in the back pocket. A completely different player to Jarrod Harbrow. Maybe not bring him in straight away but perhaps later in the year.

Sure he hasn't got any pace and can't kick but I reckon that he would make an excellent defender. He could put his mind to the job and shut practically anybody down. He would bring his own style to the back pocket just as he has brought his own style to the midfield. Who would have thought that you could have a successful midfielder such as Cross who has little evasive skills or pace and can't kick over a jam tin.

With the inclusion of new quality midfielders (Wallis, Libba, Sherman), Cross may find himself out of a job.

The replacement for Harbrow doesn't have to be Harbrow-like. He can have a different set of skills and over-all maybe be better than Harbrow.

He's probably a better third man up than back pocket, as it's really his endurance and contested ball skills that make him who he is.

Maddog37
10-12-2010, 10:46 PM
And his courage and marking skills.

Ovatheboarder
11-12-2010, 12:16 AM
The new players are a long way off what Cross an do. Physical development notwithstanding, reading the play and getting to the ball consistently and efficiently takes experience and time to develop at AFL level.

This

soupman
11-12-2010, 01:30 AM
Wood will take the running back pocket role I reckon.
Just wondering, does anyone think Reid could do it?

Ultimately I think Wood will emerge as our premier line breaking defender but could there be a spot for Reid in defence?

Atm Reid is an inside midfielder. We already have a heap of player's capable of winning the ball in the midfield, with Cross and Boyd being two major ones, Cooney and Griffen are both able to win their own footy and the likes of Picken, Addison, Wallis, Liberatore, Ward, Hudson and Moles being more "inside" than "outside". This would suggest that Reid is potentially surplus to requirements, but could he be capable of a defensive role?

He played on Bartel at the end of 2009 and did well, he has a big frame so could play on strong bodied forwards, seems to be strong aerially and be able to do a bit Mitch Hahn like forcing his way through a tackle. He is big and tough enough to be able to be a physical presence when tackling. His biggest weakness is his kicking and the unfortunate fact that he can't seem to go longer than a week without breaking down.

I think the idea of placing Reid as a defender has merit.

GVGjr
11-12-2010, 09:19 AM
I think the idea of placing Reid as a defender has merit.

So do I. A few players would be ahead of him for a midfield spot plus he has some Boyd and Cross type traits with his playing style so he would be a duplication in the midfield rotations.
As a defender though, we know he is tough and he has good height and I think he has the discipline to shut down an opponent. Good suggestion.

comrade
11-12-2010, 09:39 AM
So do I. A few players would be ahead of him for a midfield spot plus he has some Boyd and Cross type traits with his playing style so he would be a duplication in the midfield rotations.
As a defender though, we know he is tough and he has good height and I think he has the discipline to shut down an opponent. Good suggestion.

I'd love to find a spot for Reid anywhere but would his shoulders stand up to the rigours of defending/spoiling all the time?

If he did get a job in the defensive 50, he should be made to ghost Dale everywhere he goes, because a pure stopper would be his go.

Interesting suggestion.

Go_Dogs
11-12-2010, 01:06 PM
I'd love to find a spot for Reid anywhere but would his shoulders stand up to the rigours of defending/spoiling all the time?

If he did get a job in the defensive 50, he should be made to ghost Dale everywhere he goes, because a pure stopper would be his go.

Interesting suggestion.

Agree, interesting one.

If Boyd and Cross can't get the shutdown aspect happening in the midfield though, perhaps that is where Reid will be best suited? Hopefully he can have a good run at it with his body and health concerns.