PDA

View Full Version : Thorpe faces Chilly Draft.

bulldogtragic
06-12-2010, 02:17 PM
MITCH Thorp's AFL career could be over at midday tomorrow.

For many, particularly in Thorp's home state of Tasmania, it's something that seemed unfathomable four years ago when the strapping centre half-forward, who was rated superior to his Tassie Mariners teammate Jack Riewoldt, went to Hawthorn at No. 6 in the national draft.

Thorp's fall from grace has been spectacular, thanks to a combination of injury and attitude problems which led to him being dumped by the Hawks last year, despite having 12 months to run on his contract.

He spent this season getting his body right in the VFL with Werribee and faces D-day in tomorrow's rookie draft.

AFL Tasmania state talent manager Nick Probert remembered Thorp as an elite player destined for success.

"There was no doubt he was outstanding at under-18 level," Probert said. "He was a very fierce competitor, he always got the best out of himself and was very professional.

"He was a very hungry young man but I guess over the past 15 or 20 years of the draft there are always stories of the higher draft picks who haven't been successful.

"Often things just conspire against a young kid getting there in the end and the thing with Mitch is he's had a lot of injuries."

Thorp, 21, played only two games for the Hawks and they were two years apart. He made his debut against Richmond in Round 15, 2007, but was injured and not seen again until Round 2, 2009.

Then a foot injury sidelined him for the rest of the year and ultimately helped accelerate his departure from Hawthorn.

The best way to sum up his days in the brown and gold is to say the club could not get him out the door quickly enough.

That is what Werribee coach, former Western Bulldog Simon Atkins, was told when he threw Thorp a lifeline.

"I will be upfront. Everyone we spoke to when we were talking to him said, 'Don't go near him'," Atkins said.

"But he was nothing like what I had heard. He just might have realised that he had to change, but I'm telling you he was exemplary."

Atkins saw the 194cm Thorp improve as the season progressed and is convinced there's a lot more still to come.

"His development hasn't come on because of his injuries," he said. "You don't get taken No. 6 for no reason.

"The real positive this year was that he completed every training session and he was doing even more work outside of training, so he put his body through as much as possible.

"The other thing we did was play him in other positions, so that people would see him not only as that hit-up forward. He has got some endurance, which I think people doubted.

"We played him on the wing and he can read the play, which probably people haven't seen because he has predominately been a forward."

While Melbourne, where Thorp trained briefly last year, is believed to have some interest, there aren't too many others in the queue for the player Hawthorn took instead of Geelong's Joel Selwood, who went at No. 7.

"It's a sad story in many ways when you look at what has happened around him with the players from the '06 draft," one AFL recruiter said.

"But the reality is he may have missed his time."

But Atkins, who coached James Podsiadly (Geelong) and Michael Barlow (Fremantle) when they were at Werribee, said it would be a shame if Thorp was not given another chance.

"He does have that something there where you think, 'If this kid got a bit of a go at it, he could show something'," he said.

I know he has failed the DH test, but if the attitude is right, he might be worth a rookie spot. Thoughts?

Mantis
06-12-2010, 02:32 PM
I know he has failed the DH test, but if the attitude is right, he might be worth a rookie spot. Thoughts?

I would have thought that there was any interest at all the club would have invited him to do the pre-season with us to at least get the lowdown on his application & attitude. As this doesn't appear to be the case I would say we aren't interested.

Another Pelican success story.

bulldogtragic
06-12-2010, 02:37 PM

lmao

LostDoggy
06-12-2010, 02:55 PM
lmao

And they tried to offload him on us!

Greystache
06-12-2010, 03:05 PM
I'd rather Ian Thorpe.

bulldogtragic
06-12-2010, 03:16 PM
And they tried to offload him on us!
Are you saying he wasn't worth the 3 first round selections Pelican wanted for him?

Jasper
06-12-2010, 05:52 PM
I would have thought that there was any interest at all the club would have invited him to do the pre-season with us to at least get the lowdown on his application & attitude. As this doesn't appear to be the case I would say we aren't interested.

Is that the same Pelican who masterminded the 2008 Premiership team?
I'd take him any day regardless of what a poor excuse for a human being he may be

Greystache
06-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Is that the same Pelican who masterminded the 2008 Premiership team?
I'd take him any day regardless of what a poor excuse for a human being he may be

His "masterminding" has more recently been proven to have been little more than good fortune, and inept recruiting from Richmond. Thorpe and Dowler have proven he just follows a formula and hopes they work out. Franklin and Roughead managed career best years together, along with their coach designing a defensive structure that took teams a years to work out, and an overweight retired former premiership player having the quarter of his life during the Grand Final was why they won a premiership, and why they've done nothing since- Incidently Clarkson overuled Pelican who didn't want Dew.

Sedat
06-12-2010, 06:04 PM
His "masterminding" has more recently been proven to have been little more than good fortune, and inept recruiting from Richmond. Thorpe and Dowler have proven he just follows a formula and hopes they work out. Franklin and Roughead managed career best years together, along with their coach designing a defensive structure that took teams a years to work out, and an overweight retired former premiership player having the quarter of his life during the Grand Final was why they won a premiership, and why they've done nothing since- Incidently Clarkson overuled Pelican who didn't want Dew.
Let's not forget, Buddy and Roughy were Buckenara selections and came before Pelican's time.

LostDoggy
06-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Let's not forget, Buddy and Roughy were Buckenara selections and came before Pelican's time.

This.

Buckenara built the 2008 Premiership team.

Pelican's contributions have been recruiting a dozen players who have been delisted within 2 years and making them into a trading pariah that no one wants to touch with a ten-foot pole. Hawthorn delisted eleven players this year: Beau Dowler, Rhan Hooper, Beau Muston, Simon Taylor and rookie-listed players Michael Johnston, Jarrod Kayler-Thomson, Garry Moss, Carl Peterson, Wayde Skipper and Cameron Stokes -- all of them except Simon Taylor were Pelchan selections.

More of his selections are lucky to still be on an AFL list (ie. most of Hawthorn's youngsters).

The fact that he even claims credit for the Premiership team (and he does, regularly), despite not even being at Hawthorn prior to 2005 when the entire core of their Premiership team (except Rioli) were recruited just shows what a blowhole he is.

azabob
25-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Apparently we are watching with keen interest....

MITCH Thorp is firming as a ready-made forward at this year's draft almost four years after he was cut from Hawthorn.
Taken at pick No.6 - the selection before Geelong star Joel Selwood - and then dumped with a year remaining on his contract, Thorp has become a midfield goalkicking machine in Tasmania

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/former-hawks-draftee-mitch-thorp-ready-to-grab-a-second-chance-at-an-afl-career/story-fni5f22o-1226684649930

bulldogtragic
25-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Apparently we are watching with keen interest....

MITCH Thorp is firming as a ready-made forward at this year's draft almost four years after he was cut from Hawthorn.
Taken at pick No.6 - the selection before Geelong star Joel Selwood - and then dumped with a year remaining on his contract, Thorp has become a midfield goalkicking machine in Tasmania

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/former-hawks-draftee-mitch-thorp-ready-to-grab-a-second-chance-at-an-afl-career/story-fni5f22o-1226684649930
Thanks Aza. I thought of bringing his name up about 6-8 weeks ago, but I read he was injury effected since leaving Werribee. He has certainly performed well at his level.

I'd be more interested in knowing whether he would be a PSD pick or rookie candidate. And whether St Kilda would try to spoil our interest.

Cyberdoggie
25-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Certainly looks good in the South Lonny colours!

Don't like the tatts though.

Maybe the pies might like another tatt sleeved forward to replace the q stick.

F'scary
25-07-2013, 02:07 PM
If he lasts to our 2nd round pick, perhaps it is worth the risk seeing we need some more big, marking forwards. But he must be genuinely good overhead and a reliable set shot at goal to warrant pick 24-ish.

Ghost Dog
25-07-2013, 02:11 PM
In 2008 Graham Polak was almost killed by a tram. Was put onto life support and narrowly escaped brain damage.
Guess who had no qualms in knocking him out in 2010....
Might fail the good character test.

Greystache
25-07-2013, 02:16 PM
In 2008 Graham Polak was almost killed by a tram. Was put onto life support and narrowly escaped brain damage.

Did you see the incident?

LostDoggy
25-07-2013, 02:20 PM
GD, i recall hearing about that incident. It was a marking contest and they smashed heads early in the game.

Polak was drunk and walked in front of a tram.

Ghost Dog
25-07-2013, 02:21 PM
GD, i recall hearing about that incident. It was a marking contest and they smashed heads early in the game.

Polak was drunk and walked in front of a tram.

The way it was written up on one site was that it was intentional. My bad - turns out it was accidental.

Has had plenty of chances to go to other clubs, and not highly liked by Hawthorn fans.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2013, 02:23 PM
I see your point. And if you choose to get on a footy field, it's going to happen.
Could be wrong, but wasn't it a head clash GD?

LostDoggy
25-07-2013, 02:27 PM

There's a fair chance it could have been a head clash as above :D

Greystache
25-07-2013, 02:30 PM

It was, which is why I asked if Ghost Dog had seen it before questioning his character.

Both players were following the flight of the ball from opposite directions and clashed heads in a marking contest. Neither player saw the other coming.

Bulldog Joe
25-07-2013, 02:41 PM
If he lasts to our 2nd round pick, perhaps it is worth the risk seeing we need some more big, marking forwards. But he must be genuinely good overhead and a reliable set shot at goal to warrant pick 24-ish.

He is genuinely a good mark. He is also reportedly a very good kick on both sides
He has apparently also got very good endurance. Sounds like Ed Barlow with skill.
I know he had some issues previously but he reads as an ideal 2nd ruck/forward option at the very least. Hard to know where he would go in the draft (if at all) Would certainly think he offers something we really need.

That is disingenuous GD. The incident was widely shown on TV and Thorp and Polak clashed heads when they were both going for the ball. Thorp was also severely concussed by the incident.

Murphy'sLore
25-07-2013, 02:42 PM
He can kick? Sold!

bulldogtragic
25-07-2013, 02:59 PM
My gut says St Kilda will finish below us.
My gut says St Kilda would do anything to screw us
My gut says they will take him with the PSD or rookie pick below ours
My gut says he would then nominate for the ND
My gut says we may get forced into overpaying if we want him

For many reasons, we need to finish below them, but I can't see that happening...

Ghost Dog
25-07-2013, 03:15 PM
It was, which is why I asked if Ghost Dog had seen it before questioning his character.

Both players were following the flight of the ball from opposite directions and clashed heads in a marking contest. Neither player saw the other coming.

I said I was wrong. My bad.
Anyhow, in regards to his work ethic while at Hawthorn, there are no shortages of threads otherwise questioning his character.

LostDoggy
25-07-2013, 03:34 PM

For many reasons, we need to finish below them, but I can't see that happening...

Only so many players they can take.

1eyedog
25-07-2013, 03:39 PM
I said I was wrong. My bad.
Anyhow, in regards to his work ethic while at Hawthorn, there are no shortages of threads otherwise questioning his character.

I've seen lots of people settle down post kids. He may have changed. BMac will put his DH barometer on him.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Only so many players they can take.
True, but if they go into the PSD or RD with at least one pick, they could trump us. If he finishes the year averaging the best part of 20 possies, 10 marks and 4 goals a game, he'd be a decent long shot. So if the Saints finish above us, we would need to get him in the ND. With the pick before us, that could create unease, unless we could upgrade our picks to GWS.

LostDoggy
25-07-2013, 03:49 PM
True, but if they go into the PSD or RD with at least one pick, they could trump us. If he finishes the year averaging the best part of 20 possies, 10 marks and 4 goals a game, he'd be a decent long shot. So if the Saints finish above us, we would need to get him in the ND. With the pick before us, that could create unease, unless we could upgrade our picks to GWS.

What happened to Gumby in the PSD? Yesterday's news already? ;)

bulldogtragic
25-07-2013, 03:56 PM
What happened to Gumby in the PSD? Yesterday's news already? ;)
I'm not in the camp that thinks Gumby will walk out into the PSD.

Mofra
25-07-2013, 04:10 PM
He could also set a minimum contract price for the PSD which may rule out the Saints taking him. I assume Melbourne wont need him and if he insists on a Melbourne based club we could get him that way.

Greystache
25-07-2013, 04:13 PM
I've seen lots of people settle down post kids. He may have changed. BMac will put his DH barometer on him.

Agree, I think we're well placed to determine if he's worth a punt or not. He won't go until very late in the draft or PSD.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2013, 04:14 PM
He could also set a minimum contract price for the PSD which may rule out the Saints taking him. I assume Melbourne wont need him and if he insists on a Melbourne based club we could get him that way.
True, good point Mofra. I'd rather give up some cash than a higher ND pick. I wonder what the club thinks about his publicity today?

mighty_west
25-07-2013, 04:25 PM
I think I'd prefer going after Thorp than someone like Gumbleton who lets face it, spends as much time off the track as Tommy Williams, plus knowing Essendon would want the earth for Gumby.

Thorps attitude v Gumbletons glass body, both can certainly play.

bulldogsthru&thru
25-07-2013, 04:35 PM

this is why i was really disapointed when they lost to Port. They seem to be in the way all the time. Still.....nothing would infuriate me more than if they somehow landed Boyd with pick 3. I wouldnt be able to accept that.

I do think if we go for Thorpe that he would have changed his attitude. We've got the perfect coach for sussing those sorts out.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2013, 04:41 PM
this is why i was really disapointed when they lost to Port. They seem to be in the way all the time. Still.....nothing would infuriate me more than if they somehow landed Boyd with pick 3. I wouldnt be able to accept that.

I do think if we go for Thorpe that he would have changed his attitude. We've got the perfect coach for sussing those sorts out.
Yep, if there was only 4points between us and they got Boyd, it would be another kick in the guts from the footy gods....

The Bulldogs Bite
25-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Yep, if there was only 4points between us and they got Boyd, it would be another kick in the guts from the footy gods....

I think I would have a mental breakdown.

:o

The Underdog
25-07-2013, 05:06 PM

So, do you want us to lose games on purpose to achieve this? And you really think any of St Kilda's recruiting strategy revolves around screwing us over rather than what's best for them?

We pick the best players available at the picks we have or try to trade into the position to get the player we want. I'm not ready to start barracking for us to lose.

FrediKanoute
25-07-2013, 05:14 PM
I'd prefer the Saints to get Boyd than us to tank to get him. Yes it would on the surface seem unjust, but Boyd alone isn't going to rejuvenate them. They got Kosi and Le Sook years ago and that wasn't enough to get them over the line. They have a world of issues with a lot of key players due to retire in the next couple of years. In many ways our transition is already well under way, with the mantle being passed in the midfield (Cross, Boyd to Libba, Griffin).

On Thorpe, I would give the guy a shot. Where you take him depends on what else is available, but a mature bodied forward looking for his second shot at AFL, who is aged 24, somewhere around pick 50 wouldn't seem outrageous.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2013, 05:16 PM
So, do you want us to lose games on purpose to achieve this? And you really think any of St Kilda's recruiting strategy revolves around screwing us over rather than what's best for them?

We pick the best players available at the picks we have or try to trade into the position to get the player we want. I'm not ready to start barracking for us to lose.
I'm not suggesting we tank, no.

LongWait
25-07-2013, 05:30 PM
I'd put money on Thorpe going in the third round of the ND or even second round. No way will he slide to a very late or a rookie pick unless the media he is getting is a complete fabrication.

LostDoggy
25-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Don't forget he is only playing in the TSL and the standard is pretty ordinary. I like the sound of his attitude though.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Thorpe's stats so far this year in the Tassie League:

13 games
46 goals (5 bags of 5 or more)
10 times named in bests
5 Best on Grounds

Remi Moses
25-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Didn't Jessie Wells carve up the Tassie league last season?

bulldogtragic
25-07-2013, 11:36 PM
This year in the Tassie league:

Jesse Wells

12 matches
7 goals
3 named in bests
0 best on grounds

Mitch Thorpe

13 games
10 times named in bests
5 Best on Grounds

bornadog
25-07-2013, 11:42 PM
One Markovic in the team is enough.

LostDoggy
26-07-2013, 12:16 AM

Ok. Lets swop them then. I don't see a future that includes Marco nor even a short term benefit in keeping him. Take Thorp and thank Marco for what he has contributed?

bornadog
26-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Ok. Lets swop them then. I don't see a future that includes Marco nor even a short term benefit in keeping him. Take Thorp and thank Marco for what he has contributed?

Personally both of them are not the answer.

Bulldog Joe
26-07-2013, 06:52 AM

Thorpe has much more to his armory than Markovic. Where Markovic is at best as a body on body defender, Thorpe can be a play maker, but can also play the defensive role.

While it is right to question the standard of the TSL he did also perform very well in the representative game against the NEAFL.

While he may not be a star I would seem him as a major upgrade on Markovic or Austin.

Ghost Dog
26-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Thorpe has much more to his armory than Markovic. .

A sleeve tattoo as well!
We are the salvation army of the AFL; where players can find h a third chance. If anyone throws him a lifeline, it will probably be us.

T and T does he fit your big, burly tattooed rule of thumb?

Hotdog60
26-07-2013, 09:54 AM
I think we should give him a go. With Gia possibly gone at season end he seems to me like the ideal replacement.
The guy was a top ten draft pick which means his either very athletic or as good skills.

What do we need, a ready made player in the mid twenties with endurance and good skills doesn't he fit that bill.

We introduced a no DH procedure with Macca so if he gets through the screening why not.

Getting a second chance for a player that has seen the errors of his ways might be very good selection and it looks like he has matured and has a young family to provide for.

He is also coaching the side so he has a footy brain.

If we are after Cheesy why go for Super Cheese.:)

LostDoggy
26-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Sometimes it appears that our criteria for drafting players goes somewhat like this:

1. Have you been in gaol?
2. Have you lodged all your tax returns?
3. Do you have any tats?
4. Do you do any charity work?
5. Have you slept with a woman out of wedlock?
87. Can you play football at a high level?

Throughandthrough
26-07-2013, 12:05 PM
A sleeve tattoo as well!
We are the salvation army of the AFL; where players can find h a third chance. If anyone throws him a lifeline, it will probably be us.

Sounds good to me!

But the obvious question is he simply a big fat lazy skillfull full forward now who camps in the goal square and can take a mark and kick straight (theres hundreds of them throughout the land) or is he fast and fit, can hunt down the ball, and runs both ways?

azabob
26-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Sounds good to me!

But the obvious question is he simply a big fat lazy skillfull full forward now who camps in the goal square and can take a mark and kick straight (theres hundreds of them throughout the land) or is he fast and fit, can hunt down the ball, and runs both ways?

Perhaps you should read the article link and your obvious question will be answered...

1eyedog
26-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Perhaps you should read the article link and your obvious question will be answered...

Yep, goal kicking midfielder.

Would you say potential for a mobile strong marking half forward? Even a spot on the wing perhaps?

He was touted as a top talent. I would like to give him a run and see how he goes in our forward line.

Throughandthrough
26-07-2013, 01:15 PM

Just found it, i don't normally go back three pages in a thread.

It would save $$ too, he could bring his own playing gear

always right
26-07-2013, 01:18 PM
A sleeve tattoo as well!

Who have we given a third chance to....apart from Barry Hall?

LostDoggy
26-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Who have we given a third chance to....apart from Barry Hall?

Lower :-D

The Underdog
26-07-2013, 01:32 PM
I have to admit to a fascination with Thorpe from when he was drafted. He was a guy who was clearly physically capable and very talented. He also clearly came into the league thinking he'd already made it. I'd love to have a shot at him. Sure it's a risk but the upside could be well worth it. Unlike Marko & Austin who are honest triers but who we've likely seen the ceiling of what they can do.

F'scary
26-07-2013, 01:46 PM
He is genuinely a good mark. He is also reportedly a very good kick on both sides
He has apparently also got very good endurance. Sounds like Ed Barlow with skill.
I know he had some issues previously but he reads as an ideal 2nd ruck/forward option at the very least. Hard to know where he would go in the draft (if at all) Would certainly think he offers something we really need.

:p:D:p:D

I'm sold on him. Hire!

F'scary
26-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Agree, I think we're well placed to determine if he's worth a punt or not. He won't go until very late in the draft or PSD.

Sounds like a bargin with pick 45-ish. Why not.

bulldogtragic
26-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Sounds like a bargin with pick 45-ish. Why not.
Our third pick is 40.

I'd be somewhat annoyed to part with that for Gumby. If we parted with that for a state league player I'd be critical, willing to be proven wrong, but very critical.

I think it's late ND, and if we want him, get him to put a price on his head that we will honour, that might keep a few away. Pick 58, 76 etc would be quite happy.

bulldogtragic
26-07-2013, 05:05 PM
The new attitude gun state based player...

Mitch Thorp (Tassie State League)
13 games
Multiple BOGs

Dayle Garlett (WAFL)
13 games
37 goals (3 bags of 5 or more)
Multiple BOGs

#justsaying

azabob
26-07-2013, 06:56 PM
The new attitude gun state based player...

Mitch Thorp (Tassie State League)

Dayle Garlett (WAFL)

#justsaying

You would imgaine Gartlett would cost an early second round pick and Thorpe would be a third round.

Strategy and risk management would suggest we can't draft both.

Who would you take BT?

Ghost Dog
26-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Azabob, risk is an excellent point. The flip side of risk is opportunity. If our coaching staff are worth their salt, and clauses exist in the contract, we should have enough leadership on field and at the club to mitigate the risk. As a smaller club, we have to find ways to outcompete our competition. So let's aim to have the best player welfare team in the AFL and turn some of these boys around ( soap box groans under the wight of GD ).

LostDoggy
26-07-2013, 08:03 PM
No need to worry about the soapbox GD. That should be our approach moving forward.

As a less popular, underfunded club with financial constraints we should find value in Thorpe and Garlett types. We can't worry about our 'brand' risk constantly when it's questionable what that brand actually is and what it's achieved so far.

What we do have are the personnel resources that we haven't had before. Young men with good heads on their shoulders like Jason McCartney and Ashley Hanson, the ultimate father-figure in B Mac and others like Goodes who has player welfare as a background.

The players above are the calculated risks we should be looking at taking. These players have football strengths our club sorely needs. We have a better chance than ever to deal with and educate them.

It's premiership success that will hopefully get memberships to increase as no exponential growth has been achieved pre and post the 08-10 period. Being the community club, family club, western club, whatever we are hasn't worked so far.

soupman
27-07-2013, 12:00 AM
Don't want to be picky but his name is Mitch Thorp. There is no e!

bulldogtragic
27-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Don't want to be picky but there is no 'e'

I think that's partly responsible for the change in attitude :)

BornInDroopSt'54
27-07-2013, 01:35 AM
Don't want to be picky but his name is Mitch Thorp. There is no e!

No relation of David or Alan Thorpe then.

LostDoggy
27-07-2013, 02:31 AM
Give him a 2-year deal and see. Perfect age and skill set profile. Put him through macca's good young men machine and see if it says yes or no. If it says yes I simply see no harm in having a go. At worst we get an option to keep tinkering with in the forward line. At best - wow you'd reckon we could find a use for a 194cm 24 year old with good skills.....

Bulldog Joe
28-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Thorp had a big game this week (July 27th)
BOG and 7 goals against the ladder leaders and reigning premiers.

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/1666590/bulldogs-fight-back-for-victory-over-dockers/?cs=96

Hotdog60
28-07-2013, 01:00 PM
He could be handy if his head is now in the right space.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Thorp had a big game this week (July 27th)
BOG and 7 goals against the ladder leaders and reigning premiers.

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/1666590/bulldogs-fight-back-for-victory-over-dockers/?cs=96
Update from above:

Mitch Thorpe: 2013:

14 games
53 goals (6 bags of 5 or more)
11 times named in bests
6 Best on Grounds

LostDoggy
28-07-2013, 01:08 PM
I like the 'coach' aspect of Thorp. Hope it's not a case of ' I've been there, so gimme' but according to that article he gave his side a serve at HT, moved a few around, including himself, and he peeled off 7 in the second half.

Maybe a sign the head's right.