PDA

View Full Version : New CEO?

LostDoggy
07-12-2010, 09:44 AM
Any clues on who it will be?

Ben Buckley may be looking for a job soon. The failed WC bid wasn't really his fault but heads will probably roll there. Was a good operator before that?

Sedat
07-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Ben Buckley may be looking for a job soon. The failed WC bid wasn't really his fault but heads will probably roll there. Was a good operator before that?
He's quite a way out of our price range - currently on par with Demetriou. I do agree that he might be looking for a new job soon.

Twodogs
07-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I dont think he'd suit us. He's been in a culture as strange and alien to our club and competition as it could be. FIFA and soccer in general throw around monopoly money but the AFL and us have to cut our cloth to suit our budget.

Buckley would be better suited to an administrative role in something like F1.

LostDoggy
07-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Simon Garlick has been appointed

Greystache
07-12-2010, 06:19 PM
The Western Bulldogs are delighted to announce the immediate appointment of Simon Garlick to the position of Chief Executive.

Simon played 181 games at Sydney and the Western Bulldogs over an 11 year playing career during which time he also studied comprehensively and gained a broad range of commercial experience.

Simon was a member of the AFLPA Executive and has spent time as a key member of the Western Bulldogs Forever Foundation.

After retiring from football, Simon spent five years in various management roles at LeasePlan Australia. He joined the Western Bulldogs Board of Directors in 2007 as Football Director and played a pivotal role in transitioning our Football Department into the robust and professional unit it is today.

Simon accepted the position of Chief Commercial Officer at the Club in November 2009 with a wide range of responsibilities including all key commercial areas of the business; membership, sponsorship, events, marketing, communications and fan development.

Club President, David Smorgon said, “Simon has impressed everyone with his detailed understanding of the AFL industry and brings a high level of commercial acumen to the role, he has proved to be an outstanding candidate with ideal credentials to lead the organisation.”

“The Selection Sub Committee felt that Simon’s successful track record, his deep appreciation of our organisation and the wider AFL industry as a whole, combined with his determination and commitment to succeed placed him as the standout candidate.

“We were very impressed with the calibre and range of all applicants, however in the end; Simon’s credentials made him the right appointment. The Western Bulldogs Board of Directors are confident that Simon and his team will build on the extremely solid foundation that has been created under the leadership of Cam Rose,” Smorgon said.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/season2011/westernbulldogsnewsfeatures/newsarticle/tabid/4112/newsid/106008/default.aspx

Throughandthrough
07-12-2010, 06:20 PM

That was quick!

Either we are very good at succession planning, or he is the best candidate available by a mile.

NB I hope the answer is C, all of the above.

LostDoggy
07-12-2010, 06:59 PM
Simon is a fantastic choice. There were several candidates interviewed, but Simon was by far the best. He has proven himself thus far on the Board and in his role in the football department. He will be helping to spearhead the demolish the debt campaign. I am sure he will be a great CEO.
________
Ass round (http://www.****tube.com/categories/161/round/videos/1)

anfo27
07-12-2010, 09:30 PM
When i first heard that Garlick got the job I was a bit disappointed. Its a little unfair perhaps but i'm concerned he doesn't have the extensive experience required to take over from the great work Cam did. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong and wish Simon all the best in his new role.

comrade
07-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Not sure how I feel about the appointment. It's a critical job and I'm not sure Garlick has anywhere near the experience required. He will also lack the clear vision that comes with being an outsider; that may be considered a good thing as he will continue to implement the programs put in place by Rose or a negative if we really need a shake up.

At least he's an ex-footballer, so footy department spending should continue to increase.

Dry Rot
07-12-2010, 09:40 PM
When i first heard that Garlick got the job I was a bit disappointed. Its a little unfair perhaps but i'm concerned he doesn't have the extensive experience required to take over from the great work Cam did. I'm more than happy to be proven wrong and wish Simon all the best in his new role.

I thought the same, but upside he's been there under Rose a little while and isn't Rose staying on in some sort capacity? Director?

GVGjr
07-12-2010, 09:59 PM

I think it's a good appointment but I hope one of the main points he can champion is a vastly better level of communication to the supporters that we has been sadly lacking in the last couple of years. It doesn't need to be so tightly controlled and orchestrated.

bornadog
08-12-2010, 12:39 AM
I think it's a good appointment but I hope one of the main points he can champion is a vastly better level of communication to the supporters that we has been sadly lacking in the last couple of years. It doesn't need to be so tightly controlled and orchestrated.

I don't think Cam was a great communicator with supporters. I get the feeling with his non-football background he was a little intimidated to talk footy.

Remi Moses
08-12-2010, 04:40 AM
Good choice I reckon,he has got business accumen with footy experience.
Campbell was great but if anything lacked footy nous.

GVGjr
08-12-2010, 06:00 AM
I don't think Cam was a great communicator with supporters. I get the feeling with his non-football background he was a little intimidated to talk footy.

I think a lot of the staff have been overly mindful not to say too much because of the way Rose (and possibly Fantasia) want to manage communications to the fans and the media. As a result its hard to get answers when any questions are raised.
I never expected that Rose should be talking about footy given non footy background but I'd like to think communications to the fans by the club won't be as scrutinized or orchestrated in the future.

The Doctor
08-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Good luck to him.

My concern is a lack of experience as a senior manager as this is a tough gig. however he does seem to have the club at heart which will help drive him to succeed. i hope so anyway.

Ghost Dog
08-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Sometimes good to have outside perspective to do certain roles.
Campbell - good experience with companies in debt, esentially what WB have been for sometime.

ideal to have a better man-of the-people-person in the CEO role, as well as a bean counter,
but during the period of his tenure, that was what we needed. Good steady hands- got the job done and all the best to him. Just time for a New CEO for a new season of the red,white and blue.

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Congratulations Simon, I would however like to know who the other applicants were and where Simon's strengths lie in comparison. I do understand however that it would be unfair to the other candidates to release their names publicly.

Campbell ruled with an Iron fist and was respected (not necessarily like) by all. I haven't met Simon personally or heard of his management style, however after having such a strict regime in place under Campbell, managing the transition and establishing himself in the position is going to be one of the more difficult aspects over the next 6 months.

Good Luck.

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Simon will be given all the mentoring and support that is required. He has the unanimous and full support of the Board. He will do a great job. Rest assured, we are in very capable hands.
________
Medical Marijuana Seeds (http://marijuanaseeds.org/)

BulldogBelle
08-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Excellent news, congrats to Simon - he has built up a good CV over the years.

Desipura
08-12-2010, 01:19 PM
the appointment stinks!

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 01:24 PM
the appointment stinks!

He he. :D

Congratulations Simon. :)

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 04:25 PM
the appointment stinks!

Elaborate?

Daughter of the West
08-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Elaborate?

I read it as Garlick, garlic, too much garlic can your breath stink, this appointment stinks (correct me if I'm wrong :confused:)

I didn't come to this conclusion until I saw Suz 32's "he he" though ;)

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 04:45 PM
I read it as Garlick, garlic, too much garlic can your breath stink, this appointment stinks (correct me if I'm wrong :confused:)

Doh !

aker39
08-12-2010, 04:50 PM

Correct.

I also think he was known as Stinky

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Congratulations to Simon. I hope he does a great job and remembers to be tough and uncompromising when necessary for the good of our organisation.

Raw Toast
09-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Very happy with this FWIW.

Garlic impressed as a commentator, and then as a media communicator on behalf of the club, was one of the players seeking to study and constantly challenge themselves outside of football when this was pretty rare, and is very personable.

It's a challenging role for anyone, but I've got a lot of confidence that he's going to be a very impressive CEO.

LostDoggy
10-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Congratulations Simon - good luck with your new role. It would seem Simon will have plenty of mentoring and support from our wonderful Board! Every success to you!