PDA

View Full Version : What might have been

BulldogBelle
08-12-2010, 12:00 AM
What might have been!
Well we will find out towards the end of next year what sort of recruiting job the coaches and talent scouts have done. Seems to me as though we have hung onto dud players when who-knows we could have recruited a champion.

It seemed to have been a no-brainer to me that we had to delist both Dylan Addison and Brendon Stack. Both of those guys have been in the system so long now that they have probably reached their peak and are now on the decline. Incredible, they are still with us??
A similar sort of thing could be said of Brodie Moles, he showed outstanding form in the NAB cup last year and that was it. Hooper had one match in the final last year and kicked a nice goal and showed us all that he is not up to standard.
Other players who could have been delisted include Mulligan and Gilbee. Mulligan is just an eker and Gilbee isn't half the player he was two years ago and the only direction that his form is going to go from now on is down.

There was a lot of criticism regarding picking up Barlow.

Let's say that we delisted another 3 players, we could have picked up any of the following, including others like Little who didn't get picked up at all.

Let's look again in say July 2011 and make a judgment call with the benefit of hindsight.

102 Brodie Moles Rookie elevation Western Bulldogs
103 St Kilda Dean Polo Richmond
104 Collingwood Thomas Young Rookie elevation Campbelltown / Wollondilly
106 Essendon Ben Howlett Rookie elevation Essendon
107 Adelaide Luke Thompson Rookie elevation Adelaide Crows
108 Carlton Simon White Rookie elevation Carlton
109 Fremantle Alex Silvagni Rookie elevation Fremantle
110 Western Bulldogs Andrew Hooper Rookie elevation Western Bulldogs
111 St Kilda Tom Simpkin Rookie elevation St Kilda
112 Fremantle Jay van Berlo Rookie elevation Fremantle

PS1 Gold Coast Suns Nathan Ablett Gold Coast / Broadbeach
PS2 West Coast Eagles Blayne Wilson Peel Thunder / Halls Head
PS3 Richmond Bachar Houli Essendon
PS4 Essendon Michael Hibberd Frankston / Somerville
PS5 Hawthorn Cameron Bruce Melbourne
PS6 Fremantle John Anthony Collingwood
R1 GWS Giants Stephen Clifton North Ballarat
R2 GWS Giants Rhys Cooyou East Fremantle / Towns
R3 GWS Giants Jonathan Giles Sturt
R4 GWS Giants Andrew Phillips Clarence
R5 GWS Giants Jimmi Savage Norwood / Tea Tree Gully
R6 GWS Giants Isiah Stevens Swan Districts / South Hedland
R9 Gold Coast Suns Joel Tippett Brisbane Lions
R10 West Coast Eagles Tim Houlihan West Coast
R11 Richmond Ben Jakobi Coburg
R12 Essendon Josh Jenkins Lake Boga
R13 Brisbane Lions Brad Harvey Eastern Ranges / Coldstream
R14 Melbourne Daniel Nicholson University Blues / East Ballarat
R15 Adelaide Timothy Milera Port Magpies
R16 Port Adelaide Thomas Jonas Norwood
R17 North Melbourne Cameron Pedersen Box Hill Hawks / Mooroolbark
R18 Carlton Edward Curnow Box Hill Hawks / Adelaide Crows
R19 Hawthorn Sam Menagola East Fremantle / Attadale Jnrs
R20 Fremantle Gavin Roberts Norwood
R21 Sydney Swans Max Otten Oakleigh Chargers
R22 Western Bulldogs Luke Dahlhaus Geelong Falcons / Leopold
R23 Geelong Cats Joshua Walker Geelong Falcons
R24 St Kilda Thomas Curren Dandenong Stingrays / Mt Eliza
R25 Collingwood Thomas Gordon Oakleigh Chargers / Beverly Hills Jnrs
R27 West Coast Eagles Anton Hamp Claremont / Hale / West Coast Jnrs
R28 Richmond Brad Miller Melbourne
R29 Essendon Jay Neagle Essendon
R30 Brisbane Lions Bart McCulloch Brisbane Lions
R31 Melbourne Michael Evans Claremont / Marist Jnrs
R32 Adelaide Jake von Bertouch Woodville West Torrens / Waikerie
R33 Port Adelaide Callum Hay North Adelaide / Port Magpies
R34 North Melbourne Aaron Mullett Eastern Ranges / Vermont
R35 Carlton Rhys O'Keeffe Carlton
R36 Hawthorn Thomas Schneider Oakleigh Chargers / Blackburn
R37 Fremantle Nick Lower Norwood
R38 Sydney Swans Ben Haren Port Magpies / Port Districts
R39 Western Bulldogs Jason Johannissen East Fremantle / Willetton Jnrs
R40 Geelong Cats George Burbury Hobart / Sandy Bay
R41 St Kilda Warrick Andreoli South Fremantle / Ramblers FC
R42 Collingwood Declan Reilly Sandringham Dragons / East S
R44 West Coast Eagles Jeremy McGovern Claremont
R45 Richmond Tom Hislop Richmond
R46 Essendon Tyson Slattery Essendon
R47 Brisbane Lions Albert Proud Brisbane Lions
R48 Melbourne Kelvin Lawrence Peel Thunder / Rockingham Jnrs
R49 Adelaide Lachlan Roach North Adelaide / Walkerville Jnrs
R50 Port Adelaide Jarrad Irons Perth / South Perth Jnrs
R51 Carlton Wayde Twomey Swan Districts / Werribee
R52 Hawthorn Derick Wanganeen Port Magpies / Mallee Park
R53 Fremantle Benjamin Bucovaz Fremantle
R55 Western Bulldogs Ed Barlow Sydney Swans
R56 Geelong Cats Jonathan Simpkin Geelong
R57 St Kilda Robert Eddy St Kilda
R58 Collingwood Jack Perham East Fremantle / Brigades
R61 Essendon James Webster Woy Woy Peninsula Swans
R62 Brisbane Lions Broc McCauley Brisbane Lions
R63 Melbourne Cameron Johnston Geelong Falcons / St Josephs
R64 Adelaide Ian Callinan Central District
R65 Port Adelaide Mitchell Curnow Sturt
R66 Carlton Mitchell Carter South Fremantle / Jandakot Jets
R68 Fremantle Tim Ruffles Fremantle
R70 Western Bulldogs Mitch Hahn Western Bulldogs
R71 Geelong Cats Ryan Bathie N/A
R72 St Kilda Jackson Ferguson Pennant Hills
R73 Collingwood Jye Bolton Leopold / Drysdale
R75 Melbourne Robert Campbell Box Hill Hawks
R77 Port Adelaide Matthew Westhoff Port Adelaide
R78 Carlton Blake Bray Western Suburbs Magpies
R81 Collingwood Paul Cribbin County Kildare (Ireland)
R82 Gold Coast Suns Jake Crawford Southport / Pomona Demons
R83 Melbourne Tom W. McNamara Melbourne
R84 Adelaide Sam Martyn NSW/ACT Rams / Merimbula
R85 Hawthorn William Langford Easts FC Sydney
R87 Hawthorn Jack Mahony Wollongong
R88 Sydney Swans Eugene Kruger East Coast Eagles
TS1 Richmond Travis Casserly Swan Districts / Richmond
TS2 Hawthorn Nathan Ahmat-Watkins West Adelaide / Pioneers
TS3 Richmond Mitchell Keddell Port Melbourne / Shepparton Swans
TS4 Hawthorn Paul Johnson Melbourne
TS5 Richmond Liam Corrie South Adelaide
TS6 Hawthorn Travis Tuck Hawthorn

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Stopped reading after you wrote delist addison.

LostDog
08-12-2010, 12:09 AM
agreed Gilbee and Addison delisted are u kidding give me some the stuff your on

Greystache
08-12-2010, 01:27 AM
http://football-talk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/tumbleweed.jpg

The Bulldogs Bite
08-12-2010, 02:27 AM
http://img.kyon.pl/static/img/remiq.net_923.jpg

The Coon Dog
08-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Appreciate the sentiment JC, but you have neglected to factor in one very important component; the salary cap.

At present we are right on the limit, right on it!

If we delist contracted players such as Stack, we still have to count his salary/payout in the cap which doesn't leave room to pay a replacement we may draft.

I'm sure if Stack, Mulligan & Markovic weren't contracted we would have delisted them but the fact is they are, so we have to retain them.

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 09:47 AM
It seemed to have been a no-brainer to me that we had to delist both Dylan Addison and Brendon Stack. Both of those guys have been in the system so long now that they have probably reached their peak and are now on the decline. Incredible, they are still with us??
A similar sort of thing could be said of Brodie Moles, he showed outstanding form in the NAB cup last year and that was it. Hooper had one match in the final last year and kicked a nice goal and showed us all that he is not up to standard.
Other players who could have been delisted include Mulligan and Gilbee. Mulligan is just an eker and Gilbee isn't half the player he was two years ago and the only direction that his form is going to go from now on is down.

Up there with one of the worst posts ever.

Been in the system so long - ? 3 or 4 years.... Stack needs kick up the arse and may not make it with us. Was clearly trade bait but to say he is on the decline at such a young age is idiotic. Adds has a decent season imo. He's not flashy, he'll never be a superstar but he's uncompromising.

Your comment about Hooper that he is NOT up to standard is nothing more than bullshit.

On the others you haven't even considered salary cap issues. Re: Gilbee, he is getting older but last season was his poorest in a long while. Not sure that one season warrants a delisting.

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Terrible post

Thank god you are not on the MC

Daughter of the West
08-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Stopped reading after you wrote delist addison.

Ditto

Bulldog4life
08-12-2010, 10:00 AM
So much writing but so little sense.

Mantis
08-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Your comment about Hooper that he is NOT up to standard is nothing more than bullshit.

Nothing I have seen from Hooper makes may think he will make it. What have you seen that I (and JC) haven't?

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Appreciate the sentiment JC, but you have neglected to factor in one very important component; the salary cap.

If we delist contracted players such as Stack, we still have to count his salary/payout in the cap which doesn't leave room to pay a replacement we may draft.

I'm sure if Stack, Mulligan & Markovic weren't contracted we would have delisted them but the fact is they are, so we have to retain them.

Yes Coon Dog, as you so rightly say, things aren't always the way we think they are, and there are often many reasons behind the scenes for the way the clubs handles its affairs! BTW - isn't it Brennan, and not Brendon? I know there are others on this forum who hate the incorrect spelling of players names, and I think I am starting to be one of them, especially if you are going to be negative and criticise!

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Nothing I have seen from Hooper makes may think he will make it. What have you seen that I (and JC) haven't?

I've seen him play one game at AFL level. If that's enough for you two to make up your mind about a player then enjoy.

What was your opinion of Grant in his single game before this season?

Desipura
08-12-2010, 10:33 AM

Well that is a seperate issue in itself. Markovic & Mulligan should not have been on the senior list in the first place!

Mofra
08-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Addison suprised in the finals series and played better than he did during the season proper - I'm more confidant of DFA playing than I am of Stack or Hill (or a number of others).
I'm not sold on cutting blokes like Hooper who managed to snag a game as a youngster off the rookie list - he may come on, he may not, but IIRC Foster took quite a while to come on as a CHB and he was a club favourite and one of the first picked for many years. Hooper has a two year contract and will be given chances.

Gilbee & Cross took a few years to establish themselves too, some players just take a little longer.

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Addison is simply the type of guy that you want at the club. Hard as nails and will keep trying, even if he is not in our best 22 players he will keep them honest through will and sacrifice to the team, the 'better' players need to take a leaf. He is the best example of a valuable depth player. Not a hint of show pony or princess to him. Compare him to other fringe players like Hill, Everitt and Stack, compared to Addo they are slackers, cowards and dummy spitters. One ounce of Addisons grit and they could be superstars.
Any idea of Addisons contract? Wouldnt be surprised if GWS target him.

Mantis
08-12-2010, 11:15 AM
I've seen him play one game at AFL level. If that's enough for you two to make up your mind about a player then enjoy.?

My mind isn't made up and I am willing to give him a chance, but from what I saw of him this year in the VFL I am not all that hopeful..... We wait and see.

I had seen enough of him at VFL level to make me think that he had enough natural ability to make it. However I wasn't starting to get worried after seeing him do bugger all and look dis-interested in a VFL praccy match at the start of this year... Thankfully it seems that he has turned the corner.

mjp
08-12-2010, 12:32 PM

And this is the frustration so many of us have...why were Markovic and Mulligan drafted and promoted respectively when the rookie list is the perfect spot for them - without a long-term injury they are simply not going to play...

As for Hooper, I don't see why he needed to be on the senior list either. Was another club really going to pinch him in the draft based on one game when he barely sniffed it?

Stack? Don't get me started.

Addison deserves his spot on the main list but will never be a top 15 player at the club. He is a competitor though and this in itself may bring the improvement required.

Sockeye Salmon
08-12-2010, 12:47 PM
As for Hooper, I don't see why he needed to be on the senior list either. Was another club really going to pinch him in the draft based on one game when he barely sniffed it?

Hooper should have been re-rookied instead of Hahn and the last spot on the list should have been either someone like Josh Walker (or Dahlhaus and Walker with our 1st rookie pick).

BulldogBelle
08-12-2010, 03:52 PM
The worst thing that we seem to do at our club is not to take risks. Like having a mini clean-out every now and then.

Whoever doesn't realise this please understand the following:
One good player is worth 20,000 or more ordinary players.
One exceptional player is worth 20,000 or more good players and therefore worth 400,000,000 or more ordinary players.

The trick is therefore to get rid of your ordinary players as soon as you possibly can in order to get a chance of getting a good or exceptional player.

But you have to be good enough to recognise early who is good enough and who is not and who is on the downhill slope.

If we keep going the same way that we have been going the last 3 years then we are going to end up in the same spot again. (ie no grand final).

Murphy'sLore
08-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Unfortunately the "good" and "exceptional" players don't come with convenient tattoos on their foreheads. Sometimes seemingly ordinary players develop into good and even exceptional ones over time, and if they are all "cleaned out" on a regular basis then they will never get the chance to improve.

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 04:17 PM
I've seen him play one game at AFL level. If that's enough for you two to make up your mind about a player then enjoy.

This. Spot on! I want to see him play at least 20 games before judgment is made.

Addison is simply the type of guy that you want at the club. Hard as nails and will keep trying, even if he is not in our best 22 players he will keep them honest through will and sacrifice to the team, the 'better' players need to take a leaf. He is the best example of a valuable depth player. Not a hint of show pony or princess to him. Compare him to other fringe players like Hill, Everitt and Stack, compared to Addo they are slackers, cowards and dummy spitters. One ounce of Addisons grit and they could be superstars.
Any idea of Addisons contract? Wouldnt be surprised if GWS target him.

I love Dylan, I love the fact that a guy who can't make it into the senior team still has the best attitude in the club. Obviously, Rocket loves it also. Seems like Rodney still has a much-warranted man-crush.

The worst thing that we seem to do at our club is not to take risks. Like having a mini clean-out every now and then.

One exceptional player is worth 20,000 or more good players and therefore worth 400,000,000 or more ordinary players.

The trick is therefore to get rid of your ordinary players as soon as you possibly can in order to get a chance of getting a good or exceptional player.

But you have to be good enough to recognise early who is good enough and who is not and who is on the downhill slope.

If we keep going the same way that we have been going the last 3 years then we are going to end up in the same spot again. (ie no grand final).

Every fan at every one of the 15 clubs who don't win the flag says this every year. “We need a clean-out”, “We should have 22 superstars out there and 20 superstars in the wings”. Sounds like a great idea, but much easier said than done.

Our recruiting and list management have been excellent of late. We have picked up some real beauties, and the fun of the game is that you just don't know who the real diamonds are until you clear the dirt away.

Mofra
08-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Unfortunately the "good" and "exceptional" players don't come with convenient tattoos on their foreheads. Sometimes seemingly ordinary players develop into good and even exceptional ones over time, and if they are all "cleaned out" on a regular basis then they will never get the chance to improve.
Bingo. Boyd, Cross & Gilbee took time and they've served us well.

Bulldog4life
08-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Addison suprised in the finals series and played better than he did during the season proper - I'm more confidant of DFA playing than I am of Stack or Hill (or a number of others).
I'm not sold on cutting blokes like Hooper who managed to snag a game as a youngster off the rookie list - he may come on, he may not, but IIRC Foster took quite a while to come on as a CHB and he was a club favourite and one of the first picked for many years. Hooper has a two year contract and will be given chances.

Gilbee & Cross took a few years to establish themselves too, some players just take a little longer.

I have often thought about Peter Foster as a good analogy of a player some thought couldn't make it but did. I notice no one commented when you mentioned his name. You negative posters have to surely give a player a chance before you can him. For example Hooper has played 1 game and Markovic hasn't played any.
Both definitely weren't the worst in the VFL this year....give them a go. You have all year to can them.

Bulldog Joe
08-12-2010, 06:14 PM
I have often thought about Peter Foster as a good analogy of a player some thought couldn't make it but did. I notice no one commented when you mentioned his name. You negative posters have to surely give a player a chance before you can him. For example Hooper has played 1 game and Markovic hasn't played any.
Both definitely weren't the worst in the VFL this year....give them a go. You have all year to can them.

I know everyone cans Markovic as being too slow, but he is actually a very good contested mark.

I saw a game at Willi where he was sent forward after half time and played very well.

I could see him stepping into the side and being very competitive if required.

I understand he is unlikely to stop a Nic Riewoldt, but as with Brian Lake, one of the best ways to stop your opponent getting it is to get it yourself and Markovic may just be able to do that with his marking strength if given a chance.

mjp
08-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Hooper should have been re-rookied instead of Hahn and the last spot on the list should have been either someone like Josh Walker (or Dahlhaus and Walker with our 1st rookie pick).

Yep - totally agree.

I wasn't saying get rid of Hooper btw - just that he didn't need to be on the main list.

GVGjr
08-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Yep - totally agree.

I wasn't saying get rid of Hooper btw - just that he didn't need to be on the main list.

Same as Mulligan the year before.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-12-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm pretty interested in how Addison is able to perform next year.

He's shown flashes for much of his career, including a good patch of football in 2008 prior to the injury he received against Carlton which kept him out for the remainder of the season. He was terrific in this year's finals - I was pleasantly surprised.

However, Addison needs to bring that form to the table in the H&A season. He was great in the finals because he was able to impact contests and throw his body recklessly into the ground. In the H&A season, it's probably a quicker, free flowing game which goes against his strengths. He needs to find a way to still have an impact, because if so, he could be a handy player yet IMO.

comrade
08-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Where the hell does Addison play if the list is fit and firing? I think his go is as a defensive forward, just like his role in the prelim. Does recruiting a clutch of small/mid sized forwards squeeze him out?

Bulldog Joe
08-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Where the hell does Addison play if the list is fit and firing? I think his go is as a defensive forward, just like his role in the prelim. Does recruiting a clutch of small/mid sized forwards squeeze him out?

I see Addison as also able to run through the midfield. At Williamstown he was actually playing there and copping tags because he was winning clearances.

He is probably what Boyd and Cross started as .. a defensive midfielder and depite some criticism kicks it better than Crossy.
Just needs to develop the running capacity like Boyd and Cross have managed and he is then one of the midfield options.

He did perform creditably in the early part of the year in Picken's role when Liam was out injured.

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Same as Mulligan the year before.

Mulligan had to be put on the senior list or delisted, you can't keep someone on the rookie list for more then 2 years

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 10:46 PM
I see Addison as also able to run through the midfield. At Williamstown he was actually playing there and copping tags because he was winning clearances.

He is probably what Boyd and Cross started as .. a defensive midfielder and depite some criticism kicks it better than Crossy.
Just needs to develop the running capacity like Boyd and Cross have managed and he is then one of the midfield options.

He did perform creditably in the early part of the year in Picken's role when Liam was out injured.

I don't think Addison would get a game at Collingwood, which tells you where we are at if he is in our side, no matter how good we think he is. I admire the way he goes about his footy but his weaknesses can include decision making and disposal, both of which are a premium in today's footy and certainly at Collingwood.

GVGjr
08-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Mulligan had to be put on the senior list or delisted, you can't keep someone on the rookie list for more then 2 years

The rule change and we could have kept Mulligan on for a 3rd season as a rookie.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-12-2010, 10:49 PM

Possibly it does, but it depends. If he replicates his form v Sydney/St. Kilda in the finals, then I think he's a really good option to play as that defensive forward. We can still afford to have one or two other smaller forward options. If they're good enough, there's room IMO. Kind of like how Hawthorn would regularly play Brown, Rioli and Williams in their forward half in 2008.

Eg:

Higgins -- Jones -- Addison
Grant -- Hall -- Gia/Hill/Veszpremi/Djerrkura/etc.

Jones, Addison, Grant and Hall all apply good defensive pressure. Not sure if Veszpremi/DJ would add to it - too early to call.

Greater defensive pressure = more scoring opportunities. So whilst some might question whether that forward half can boot enough goals, if we ramp up our forward defensive pressure by 20% (Shouldn't be hard after last year) then we're bound to be healthy scorers. Not only does it provide the forwards and mids with the ability to swoop on the ball, it gives assistance to our mids/defenders, where it's not rebounding like a virtual trampoline.

As I said though, all very dependent on form. I suspect our forward half will change frequently, which could be a bad or good thing.

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 10:54 PM
The rule change and we could have kept Mulligan on for a 3rd season as a rookie.

Yes but it only applied to players that were rookied after a certain date and he was not.

I recall reading an article where someone from the club said they had to promote or delist mulligan. Not in those exact word but to that effect

azabob
08-12-2010, 11:14 PM

Fairly sure Mulligan was on our rookie list for only one year.

LostDoggy
08-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Fairly sure Mulligan was on our rookie list for only one year.

Rookied in 07

spent 08 and 09 on rookie list and 10 on senior list

Sockeye Salmon
08-12-2010, 11:36 PM
The 3rdyear as a rookie rule was brought in as part of the trade-offs for giving every single player that they wanted to GC.

LostDoggy
09-12-2010, 01:53 AM

Think it will take a little longer then 3 years to go through 20,000 'ordinary players' to find a good player.

lol

Bulldog Joe
09-12-2010, 07:47 AM
I don't think Addison would get a game at Collingwood, which tells you where we are at if he is in our side, no matter how good we think he is. I admire the way he goes about his footy but his weaknesses can include decision making and disposal, both of which are a premium in today's footy and certainly at Collingwood.

He may not have got a game at a full strength Collingwood but would not have played at a full strength Dogs either.

However he would have surely been picked ahead of a couple at St K in nboth GFs.

Addison is probably best 30, but still has time to develop. He is one who appears to have the "whatever it takes" attitude that generally sees players improve over time.

LostDoggy
09-12-2010, 01:58 PM

Would he get a game for Collingwood if they had injuries/form slumps/terminations with a handful of key players? Probably.

Greystache
09-12-2010, 04:57 PM

You can't tell me Addison is not as good a player at this point in time as Jarryd Blair, surely?

Blair's only role in the team was to attack the player who wins the ball from a stoppage in Collingwood's forward line, if he contributed anything else it was a bonus. Not only could Addison perform that role, but given his superior physical development, he would do it better.

Addison would have been a starter in Collingwood's premiership team without doubt. We saw in the prelim final how well he can play a defensive forward role, unfortunately the season had already passed us by before we started trying to copy the style that was successful in 2010.

BulldogBelle
10-12-2010, 03:48 AM
Whilst it is true that some players develop more slowly that others and can turn out to be exceptional players it is up to the coaching staff to be able to spot this and keep those players on and nurture them. Hence good on them for keeping Cross, Boyd etc.

A good coach can surely pick promise in players. I remember Kelvin Templeton's first game at full-forward. I can't remember whether he got a kick or not but that handball that he did when he was falling over in the goal-square was AAA quality wow stuff. (Anybody remember that?)

It is also up to the coaches to spot the duds, turn the duds over quickly in the expectation of getting a good 'un. Worse you can do is get another dud.

The highly paid coaches also have to be able to spot players in decline. I mentioned Lindsay Gilbee who has been on the decline for the last 2 years, not just this year. If he continues that way (say a linear regression) he'll be dropped by mid-season 2011 after costing us a game. Not suggesting that Gilbee will do this. Brad Johnson should have retired last year in 2009, not 2010.

Also Peter Foster was mentioned. I saw him after his first game with the reserves and told him that day that if he keeps doing his best every week like he did today then he will make it as a footballer. And he did do his best and he did succeed (not due to anything I said to him). I think that the Jones boy will be another Peter Foster.

I can't understand why two year contracts were given to "less-than-hopefulls" and our salary cap put right on the brink so that we have practically hamstrung ourselves and can't get rid of the duds.

Addison and Stack should be gone. I can't see anything in Hooper and Moles is just borderline. Markovik and Mulligan, what is the reason they still with us? We should have had up to another 6 picks in the draft.

LostDoggy
10-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Whilst it is true that some players develop more slowly that others and can turn out to be exceptional players it is up to the coaching staff to be able to spot this and keep those players on and nurture them. Hence good on them for keeping Cross, Boyd etc.

A good coach can surely pick promise in players. I remember Kelvin Templeton's first game at full-forward. I can't remember whether he got a kick or not but that handball that he did when he was falling over in the goal-square was AAA quality wow stuff. (Anybody remember that?)

It is also up to the coaches to spot the duds, turn the duds over quickly in the expectation of getting a good 'un. Worse you can do is get another dud.

The highly paid coaches also have to be able to spot players in decline. I mentioned Lindsay Gilbee who has been on the decline for the last 2 years, not just this year. If he continues that way (say a linear regression) he'll be dropped by mid-season 2011 after costing us a game. Not suggesting that Gilbee will do this. Brad Johnson should have retired last year in 2009, not 2010.

Also Peter Foster was mentioned. I saw him after his first game with the reserves and told him that day that if he keeps doing his best every week like he did today then he will make it as a footballer. And he did do his best and he did succeed (not due to anything I said to him). I think that the Jones boy will be another Peter Foster.

I can't understand why two year contracts were given to "less-than-hopefulls" and our salary cap put right on the brink so that we have practically hamstrung ourselves and can't get rid of the duds.

Addison and Stack should be gone. I can't see anything in Hooper and Moles is just borderline. Markovik and Mulligan, what is the reason they still with us? We should have had up to another 6 picks in the draft.

I still say that Addo is quality depth and should be retained. Moles would probably be in this category as well. There is a need to have players able to fill the breach in the case of an injury run.
Hooper and Stack are young hopefuls, I wouldnt have been bothered to see Stack traded, he has been given a reasonable chance, but there is time for these guys to develop, its too early to tell and you have to show some faith.
The big M's are another issue entirely, they dont look like they will cut it but what happens if two of Lake/Morris/Williams go down?

I agree that we need to find potentials and cut the dead wood but there are team balance issues to consider in the event of injury/suspension.

How many of us would have said no to Johnno playing on at the end of 2009?

I am willing to give the WBFC selectors the benefit of the doubt but maybe not the Australian cricket team selectors.