PDA

View Full Version : Willy To Play GWS

The Coon Dog
08-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Al Paton - Herald Sun - 8 December

GREATER Western Sydney is set to play VFL club Williamstown in the opening round of the new Leagues Championship Cup in April next year.

A draft fixture sent to participating clubs reveals the 16 teams set to take part in the FA-Cup style competition next year featuring the best teams from state leagues around the country - plus the Giants.

Matches will be played as curtain-raisers to AFL Saturday night games and are set to be screened on Foxtel in a late-afternoon slot between afternoon and night AFL matches.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/draft-fixture-reveals-match-ups-in-new-league-champions-cup/story-e6frf9jf-1225967659416)

Sockeye Salmon
08-12-2010, 06:16 PM
What's a Paterson's Stadium?

way out west
08-12-2010, 06:19 PM
What's a Paterson's Stadium?

New naming rights sponser for Subiaco

Throughandthrough
08-12-2010, 06:55 PM
I predict Ainslie to lose by at least 3,897 points.

Ovatheboarder
09-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Don't really think this is over thr line just yet.
Having said that King Andrew Demetriou???? will have the final say no doubt!

Throughandthrough
09-12-2010, 11:41 AM
yeah, sounds like the SANFL teams don't want to be involved. Too much at stake (injuries, etc) compared to possible benefits.

Scraggers
09-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Williamstown are coming over to Perth for a training camp early January

Link (http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_info.cgi?client=1-118-10459-0-0&sID=54954&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=14131791&sectionID=54954)

It will be interesting to see how many of the young Pups come over ... I wonder if Mitch will get a plane trip as well?

mighty_west
09-12-2010, 02:37 PM

Oh goody, be like the good 'ol days of the VFA when Willy would smash sides like Waverley by 55 goals plus.

Lantern
09-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Oh goody, be like the good 'ol days of the VFA when Willy would smash sides like Waverley by 55 goals plus.

Please please please please please let this happen. How good would it be for the AFL's sham 18th team to get pummelled by a VFL side..

.. although this will probably simply mean that the AFL will secretly draw up even more concessions and salary cap loopholes and secret signing windows for them to poach other players.

Throughandthrough
09-12-2010, 05:51 PM
The SANFL has today committed to be involved, but now they have to find three teams willing to BE involved.

If any of the top 3 teams decline, they will keep going down the rund until they find other teams to take their place.

An inside tip is that the top 4 teams from last year have all declined the opportunity.

Chops
10-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Centrals?

Throughandthrough
10-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Centrals?
unofficially not interested either.

they still have a few weeks to officially decline the invitation.

Flamethrower
11-12-2010, 12:14 AM

I was there at Camberwell when the Towners kicked a lazy 55 goals to beat the Cobras by 305 points (55.17.347 to 4.8.32). Andrew Gibson kicked a lazy 22 and Barry Round 7.

boydogs
11-12-2010, 02:28 PM
I was there at Camberwell when the Towners kicked a lazy 55 goals to beat the Cobras by 305 points (55.17.347 to 4.8.32). Andrew Gibson kicked a lazy 22 and Barry Round 7.

315 :eek:

Scorlibo
11-12-2010, 04:30 PM

You might be surprised. The Canberra league is quite strong thanks to the Swans reserves playing in it for a long time, and the small number of teams in the league. It is probably a stronger league than in Queensland or NT, and Ainslie will be competitive despite everyone outside of the ACT having never heard of them.

Throughandthrough
12-12-2010, 10:29 PM
does aaron rogers play for ainslie?

Throughandthrough
15-12-2010, 05:01 PM
M E D I A R E L E A S E
To: Key Stakeholders
Date: Wednesday 15th December 2010
Re: Champions League Cup
Champions League Cup
The Central Districts, Norwood, Woodville West Torrens and Sturt Football Clubs have given considerable thought to the proposed Champions League Cup concept, and all agree that it would offer an exciting opportunity to provide our clubs and players with greater exposure on the national stage.
Regrettably, the current version of the concept does not meet what we would consider to be the minimum financial requirements our Club’s would need to participate effectively in the competition. It is our view that the cost of participating would not be fully covered by the prize money on offer, and would therefore ultimately represent a new cost to our Clubs.
In addition, the proposed draw requires the successful teams to play up to an additional four games scheduled within the current home and away season, thus forfeiting all of their scheduled byes in the lead up to the major round of the SANFL. This is a major consideration as participation would severely test the resilience and depth of our team’s playing resources. Without considerable upside, the opportunity cost of reducing our focus and competitiveness within the SANFL competition cannot be justified.
As several other logistical and financial considerations also remain unresolved, the Central Districts, Norwood, Woodville West Torrens and Sturt Football Clubs have decided that we are unable to accept the invitation from the SANFL to participate in the proposed Champions League Cup in its current format.
Kris Grant (CEO - CDFC)
Dominic Shepley (CEO – NFC)
Kurt Slaven (Pres – WWTFC)
Matt Benson (CEO – SFC)

Throughandthrough
15-12-2010, 07:36 PM
15 December 2010
Statement
Proposed ‘Champions League’
The Glenelg Football wishes to make the following statement to its members
and key stakeholders concerning its decision not to participate in the proposed
Champions League in 2011.
1. Firstly, we did not earn the right to participate on our own merit. We
finished fourth in the 2010 SANFL Premiership (the top 3 SANFL clubs
qualified for an initial invitation).
2. Secondly, we have just completed a comprehensive football review and are
clearly committed to doing whatever it takes to win our next SANFL
Premiership. Our Club's firm view, following consultation with all internal
stakeholders including our highly respected medical team, is that
participating in this proposed 2011 ‘Champions League’ may compromise the
plans we have in place to challenge for the 2011 SANFL Premiership.
3. Thirdly, there are a number of unresolved factors with regard to conditions of
participation in the competition as currently presented by the AFL including
costs and associated commercial implications including sponsorship rights.
Notwithstanding the above, our Club remains broadly supportive of the concept for
such a competition and see some merit in future participation should the issues be
addressed and we earn the right to participate in the future.
The Club wishes to make it clear it spent considerable time in reaching this position
having considered all factors based on the information available.

way out west
16-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Surely the AFL can make put some money in and increase the prize money as it can only promote the game and could one day maybe be like the FA Cup

Twodogs
22-12-2010, 10:45 AM

IIRC we played Ainslie in a night series game back in the early '80s at VFL park. It was a curtain raiser to a match between two VFL clubs Cowboy Neale parked himself at full forward and kicked a few goals. I cant remember if we won or lost but I have an awful feeling that we lost. I used to have the footy record from that game but it's gone missing since.

marcov
31-12-2010, 12:11 PM
M E D I A R E L E A S E
To: Key Stakeholders
Date: Wednesday 15th December 2010
Re: Champions League Cup
Champions League Cup
The Central Districts, Norwood, Woodville West Torrens and Sturt Football Clubs have given considerable thought to the proposed Champions League Cup concept, and all agree that it would offer an exciting opportunity to provide our clubs and players with greater exposure on the national stage.
Regrettably, the current version of the concept does not meet what we would consider to be the minimum financial requirements our Club’s would need to participate effectively in the competition. It is our view that the cost of participating would not be fully covered by the prize money on offer, and would therefore ultimately represent a new cost to our Clubs.
In addition, the proposed draw requires the successful teams to play up to an additional four games scheduled within the current home and away season, thus forfeiting all of their scheduled byes in the lead up to the major round of the SANFL. This is a major consideration as participation would severely test the resilience and depth of our team’s playing resources. Without considerable upside, the opportunity cost of reducing our focus and competitiveness within the SANFL competition cannot be justified.
As several other logistical and financial considerations also remain unresolved, the Central Districts, Norwood, Woodville West Torrens and Sturt Football Clubs have decided that we are unable to accept the invitation from the SANFL to participate in the proposed Champions League Cup in its current format.
Kris Grant (CEO - CDFC)
Dominic Shepley (CEO – NFC)
Kurt Slaven (Pres – WWTFC)
Matt Benson (CEO – SFC)

Its a shame, I would have loved to see Centrals play Williamstown or one of the WAFL teams. I usually think teams should put their hand up for this sort of thing even at a manageable cost. At least have a crack at it, it may be somewhat memorable and a chance to be the best team in the country. At the end of the season decide if its worth doing next year.