PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NAB Cup - Trial Rules

The Coon Dog
14-12-2010, 06:46 PM
2011 NAB Cup trial rules and explanations:

1. A player awarded a 50m penalty which takes them inside the 50m area can elect either to kick from outside 50 for nine points, or kick from inside 50 for six points.
It was felt that a player awarded a 50-metre penalty which would advance him inside 50, should be given the opportunity to decide whether he kicks from outside 50m for nine points, or take the full 50m penalty to kick from inside 50 for six points.

2. Official scorer can assist with scoring decisions by reference to technology.
If a video replay is immediately available, the goal umpire can consult with the official scorer to determine the correct decision. There is no avenue for players to refer decisions.

3. Boundary umpires pay free kicks for holding and high contact at stoppages.
As an extension to the 2010 NAB Cup trial, boundary umpires may pay free kicks for obvious holding or high contact infringements. They will not pay any other form of free kick.

4. Free kick against player who drags or holds ball under opponent.
As an extension of the rule trialled in the 2010 NAB Cup, the umpire may pay a free kick against a player who drags the ball under his opponent, and may also pay a free kick against a player who holds a ball under his opponent, when he is trying to knock it out.

5. Last touch out of bounds.
To be trialled in the first round of matches only, a free kick will be paid against the last player to touch the ball before it went out of bounds. A free won’t be paid if the umpire is unable to determine who touched the ball last, if the ball goes out of bounds from a spoil after a marking contest or if the ball goes out of bounds as a result of a defensive smother to a kick or a handball.

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/106211/default.aspx)

comrade
14-12-2010, 08:00 PM
4. Free kick against player who drags or holds ball under opponent.
As an extension of the rule trialled in the 2010 NAB Cup, the umpire may pay a free kick against a player who drags the ball under his opponent, and may also pay a free kick against a player who holds a ball under his opponent, when he is trying to knock it out.

Like this.

To be trialled in the first round of matches only, a free kick will be paid against the last player to touch the ball before it went out of bounds. A free won’t be paid if the umpire is unable to determine who touched the ball last, if the ball goes out of bounds from a spoil after a marking contest or if the ball goes out of bounds as a result of a defensive smother to a kick or a handball.

Hate this.

Greystache
14-12-2010, 08:57 PM
1. A player awarded a 50m penalty which takes them inside the 50m area can elect either to kick from outside 50 for nine points, or kick from inside 50 for six points.
It was felt that a player awarded a 50-metre penalty which would advance him inside 50, should be given the opportunity to decide whether he kicks from outside 50m for nine points, or take the full 50m penalty to kick from inside 50 for six points.

Like this.

Agreed- Hate this!

The Coon Dog
14-12-2010, 11:19 PM
With regard to the 'no out of bounds' rule being implemented for the first round of the NAB Cup, its the same as when they played the Lightening Premiership about 10 years ago.

Remember its only 2 x 20 minute halves so the idea here is to keep the game flowing.

Personally I don't agree with it, but understand the rationale.

hujsh
15-12-2010, 05:43 AM
Like this.

Hate this.

agreed

soupman
15-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Number 4 is going to be very difficult to police, and number 5 is a defenders worst nightmare. The boundary is no longer your friend.

LostDoggy
15-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Number 4 is going to be very difficult to police

Exactly what I was going to say. I hate the proliferation and tuning of these subjective free kicks, it just confuses umpires, players and fans.

I dislike all these changes except for 2. the use of Vid tech on goal decisions.

Mofra
15-12-2010, 02:36 PM
I know it is a shortened version of the game, but why would the AFL do this when they are trying to slow the game down during the regular season?

ratsmac
15-12-2010, 07:53 PM

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/106211/default.aspx)

Love it, but for the NAB Cup only. I think this will make for a great spectacle. It will make defenders win their own ball.

LostDoggy
16-12-2010, 01:37 AM
I hope we go out in the first round and win the big one in October ( i think it is October now)

Please

Desipura
16-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Love it, but for the NAB Cup only. I think this will make for a great spectacle. It will make defenders win their own ball.
Hate it, so if you are on the boundary line under pressure from an opponent you can handball into your opponents body with the ball going out of bounds. You earn a free kick for that? Its ridiculous!

The Coon Dog
16-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Hate it, so if you are on the boundary line under pressure from an opponent you can handball into your opponents body with the ball going out of bounds. You earn a free kick for that? Its ridiculous!

Has anyone read the forward by David Parkin to Doug Hawkin's autobiography?

Parkin was up in the coaches box on the Doug Hawkins wing as Doug was first on the scene to a loose ball directly below. The nearest 3 players to Hawk were all Fitzroy players who corralled him, knowing he had nowhere to go. As they approached, Hawk proceeded to handball the ball onto the boot of the nearest Lion, the ball the looped up over the boundary line. Out on the full. Free kick to Doug Hawkins. Parkin still shakes his head at that!

Twodogs
16-12-2010, 11:51 AM
As they approached, Hawk proceeded to handball the ball onto the boot of the nearest Lion, the ball the looped up over the boundary line. Out on the full. Free kick to Doug Hawkins. Parkin still shakes his head at that!

Doug was a genius when it came to playing football. Another time he found himself in the same situation so he handballed the ball to his opponent, tackled the guy and got a free kick!

What's this about 2 x 20 minute halves?

Desipura
16-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Has anyone read the forward by David Parkin to Doug Hawkin's autobiography?

Parkin was up in the coaches box on the Doug Hawkins wing as Doug was first on the scene to a loose ball directly below. The nearest 3 players to Hawk were all Fitzroy players who corralled him, knowing he had nowhere to go. As they approached, Hawk proceeded to handball the ball onto the boot of the nearest Lion, the ball the looped up over the boundary line. Out on the full. Free kick to Doug Hawkins. Parkin still shakes his head at that!
You are a beauty TCD, I was thinking the exact same thing when I wrote about this! I do recall the game as well, it was on the wing near the EJ Smith stand for memory.

Desipura
16-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Doug was a genius when it came to playing football. Another time he found himself in the same situation so he handballed the ball to his opponent, tackled the guy and got a free kick!
Intelligent footballer, not so off the field. Minson is the other way around. Would prefer the Hawk version. :D

Twodogs
16-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Oh and I like the idea of rule five. It's the same thing that happens in soccer and they seem to cope pretty well.

Twodogs
16-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Intelligent footballer, not so off the field. Minson is the other way around. Would prefer the Hawk version. :D

Yep. I chose my words very carefully! Doug was a genius on the fooball field.;)

The Coon Dog
16-12-2010, 12:49 PM
What's this about 2 x 20 minute halves?

Link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/chris-and-brad-scott-to-clash-in-nab-cup-round-1/story-e6frf9jf-1225942215550)

Here is the draw for the 2011 NAB Cup:

ROUND ONE POOLS AND THEIR LOCATIONS

- Adelaide, Port Adelaide and Melbourne at AAMI Stadium, February 11 (Friday night)

- Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond at Etihad Stadium, February 12 (Saturday night)

- West Coast, Fremantle and Hawthorn at Patersons Stadium (Subiaco Oval), February 13 (Sunday afternoon)

- Essendon, the Brisbane Lions and St Kilda at Etihad Stadium, February 18 (Friday night)

- Greater Western Sydney, Sydney Swans and Gold Coast at Blacktown Olympic Park, February 19 (Saturday night)

- Geelong, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs at Skilled Stadium, February 20 (Sunday afternoon)

hujsh
16-12-2010, 01:04 PM
Oh and I like the idea of rule five. It's the same thing that happens in soccer and they seem to cope pretty well.

The penalty is a bit harsher in our game though.

The Coon Dog
16-12-2010, 01:07 PM

Our equivalent to soccer's throw in would be a free handball.

Twodogs
16-12-2010, 02:24 PM

Our equivalent to soccer's throw in would be a free handball.

Not a bad idea. Instead of the player kicking the ball in he has to handball it. Or if he kicks the ball to a player who marks it then that player has to play on. Like when the ball is kicked backwards in the defensive 50 in the NAB cup.

Sockeye Salmon
16-12-2010, 04:09 PM

It's not really.

Look at frees for 'on the full'. By the time they get to take their kick there are so many defenders in front of them they are as likely as not to kick it backwards.

What they are doing in this instance is actually the opposite of what they are trying to achieve.

For a throw-in, either team can potentially win the clearance so although there are a lot of blokes around the ball there are still players up each end. If they give a free the only blokes behind the ball will be the attacking teams fullback and the trainer giving him a drink.

hujsh
16-12-2010, 05:31 PM
It's not really.

Look at frees for 'on the full'. By the time they get to take their kick there are so many defenders in front of them they are as likely as not to kick it backwards.

What they are doing in this instance is actually the opposite of what they are trying to achieve.

For a throw-in, either team can potentially win the clearance so although there are a lot of blokes around the ball there are still players up each end. If they give a free the only blokes behind the ball will be the attacking teams fullback and the trainer giving him a drink.

Could still result in a goal if it goes out in the forward 50

Sockeye Salmon
16-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Could still result in a goal if it goes out in the forward 50

If they let Chris Grant take the kick

Ghost Dog
16-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Like this.

Hate this.

I agree
It's becoming too complex. They are overcomplicating what is a fairly simple game.

Mantis
16-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I agree
It's becoming too complex. They are overcomplicating what is a fairly simple game.

Simple?

You obviously have never taken an overseas visitor to view the game for the first time.

LostDoggy
16-12-2010, 10:34 PM
120+ years, still can't get the rules right.

soupman
17-12-2010, 01:10 AM
Simple?

You obviously have never taken an overseas visitor to view the game for the first time.

This.

Occasionally I try and watch the game from the point of view of an outsider and it's pretty much "wtf is going on?".

And try explaining the concept of prior opportunity or deliberate in limited english and very limited french. It cannot be done.

Greystache
19-12-2010, 05:46 PM
120+ years, still can't get the rules right.

Because the coaching staff's don't identify new ways each year they can exploit grey areas in the rules. :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
19-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Because the coaching staff's don't identify new ways each year they can exploit grey areas in the rules. :rolleyes:

Sorry not sure where you are going with this.
AFL hardily the only sport where coaches try to exploit the grey areas. I doubt other sports make yearly changes like this.
The problem is there are so many grey areas in game. They just confuse things even more by changing stuff every year. If the look of the game is bad then its up to the coaches to force a change with tactics not the rule makers.

Greystache
19-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Sorry not sure where you are going with this.
AFL hardily the only sport where coaches try to exploit the grey areas. I doubt other sports make yearly changes like this.
The problem is there are so many grey areas in game. They just confuse things even more by changing stuff every year. If the look of the game is bad then its up to the coaches to force a change with tactics not the rule makers.

I suggest you check out Rugby Union.

LostDoggy
19-12-2010, 07:07 PM
I suggest you check out Rugby Union.

Hardily at the rate of change the afl is at.

Die hard union fans will also tell you they are ruining the game doing it.

LostDoggy
05-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Not sure if this is under 'rules' but more the Format

Week 1 we have 6 pools of 3 teams

Week 2 we have 4 games... is it still the 3-team games? 2 from each pool go through to week 2, how is that decided if T1 def T2, T2 def T3 and T3 def T1...most Supergoals rule?

Or how does week 2 work otherwise?

LostDoggy
11-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Geez - this out of bounds rule is shocking. Needs a lot of interpretation to make a decision, doesn't flow easily, too much hesitation, not liking it at all and the commentators are clearly against it too.

Remi Moses
12-02-2011, 02:40 AM
Geez - this out of bounds rule is shocking. Needs a lot of interpretation to make a decision, doesn't flow easily, too much hesitation, not liking it at all and the commentators are clearly against it too.

god help us if they ever introduce that rule.:eek:

Flamethrower
12-02-2011, 03:08 PM

The AFL tried this rule during the Lightning Premiership in 1996 and it was a disaster. I don't know why they are bothering with it again. It goes against the ethos of the game, peanlising the ball winners and rewarding the filthy receivers who skirt packs waiting for a cheap kick.

Hotdog60
12-02-2011, 07:55 PM
What I was going to say was wrong, but I could see were to delete hence this message.:o

G-Mo77
19-02-2011, 01:54 PM
My first attempt at watching football for 2011 was last night. It's safe to say I didn't watch much. Turned it off after about 20 minutes, tried to watch Game 2 and lasted 5 and game 3 was just background noise while I was doing some PC repairs.

Who came up with these rules and pools concept? *shakes head*

chef
20-02-2011, 09:40 AM
My first attempt at watching football for 2011 was last night. It's safe to say I didn't watch much. Turned it off after about 20 minutes, tried to watch Game 2 and lasted 5 and game 3 was just background noise while I was doing some PC repairs.

Who came up with these rules and pools concept? *shakes head*

I enjoyed games 2 and 3.

Desipura
20-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Guys, I do not have access to foxtel today, how can I watch the game today. Is there a replay on free to air?
Foxtel won't switch me over to the sport package until tomorrow. Any suggestions?

G-Mo77
20-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Guys, I do not have access to foxtel today, how can I watch the game today. Is there a replay on free to air?
Foxtel won't switch me over to the sport package until tomorrow. Any suggestions?

I've turned Austar off so I'm in the same predicament.

LostDoggy
20-02-2011, 12:11 PM
I enjoyed games 2 and 3.

Enjoyed the third game but it was slightly spoiled because the commentary team switched off at half time. They didn't seem to consider a close finish until the dying minutes.

BulldogBelle
20-02-2011, 02:20 PM
I'm in the same predicament.

Same here, I'm just hoping a stream opens up. I guess with a game before ours it gives us heaps of time to see whether we'll get one.

Might just have to radio it, which sucks

G-Mo77
20-02-2011, 08:06 PM
They want to trial so many rules why not get the ones that have been in this game for as long as I've lived right. That holding the ball decision is non existent I don't know how many times I saw a tackler unrewarded and not just for us either. :mad:

chef
20-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Where do we play next weekend(fingers crossed for Shepparton:))

divvydan
20-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Next week is either Alice Springs (unlikely), Manuka or Visy Park.

Daughter of the West
02-03-2011, 12:10 PM
*BUMP*

Just came across the following in the Hun:

AFL toys with 16-a-side to get the game flowing
Mark Stevens From: Herald Sun March 02, 2011 12:00AM

THE AFL is so concerned about growing on-field congestion it floated the idea of trialling 16 players a team in this year's NAB Cup.

With the numbers around stoppages reaching alarming levels, the league considered dropping two wingmen from each team in a throwback to the old VFA.

"We spoke about that to the clubs last year, about trying it in the NAB Cup," AFL game analysis manager Andrew McKay confirmed yesterday.

McKay said the league instead opted to trial the contentious last-touch-out-of-bounds rule, which was also designed to tire players quicker and reduce congestion.

But McKay did not rule out the league revisiting the 16-a-side option.

"It's not out of the question - who knows?" McKay said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-toys-with-16-a-side-to-get-the-game-flowing/story-e6frf9jf-1226014400795

Can they not leave the rules alone for anymore than 20 seconds?

soupman
02-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Do they not realise that every rule change they make has repercussions, and a bigger rule change like this is going to make a bigger difference?

First off that would kill off the careers of a lot of fringe players, because I'm assumiong they'd be keeping a small bench to avoid high rotations. Therefore it is sides of 19 + a sub.

hujsh
02-03-2011, 02:52 PM
I really wonder what the AFL will look like in 20 years time. It could be just about anything with the changes that get made on a whim year after year.

mjp
02-03-2011, 03:31 PM
A trial of 16 per side in the pre-season comp would be fine.

I actually like them trying the rules 'for real' in the pre-season comp - gives it a point of difference and a talking point. What I have learned this year:

- The new 'player decides if it is an advantage' rule (in for the season) is good but is screwed up by the umpires blowing the whistle. They should just raise their hands Union style to ensure play is continuous...the players react to the whistle and some stop.

- The out-of-bounds rule was terrible in the main but did make it obvious that they could really do with toughening up the interpretation of deliberate out-of-bounds at times.

- The opposition player holding the ball in getting penalised is nearly impossible to police and completely dumb. Now you have to tackle them whilst still letting them dispose of the ball/knock it out? Not a good rule.

The Adelaide Connection
02-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Leave. The. Rules. Alone.

Sockeye Salmon
02-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Leave. The. Rules. Alone.

You haven't gone far enough.

SS's 5 step plan to fixing up the rules.

1) Put the rules back the way they were
2) Put the entire rules committee in a large box.
3) Bury the box deep in the ground
4) Put a very large rock on the ground where the box is buried.
5) Buy a rottwieller and tie him to the rock.

bornadog
02-03-2011, 06:01 PM

To which year? They have ****ed about with the rules for so long its hard to say when to roll back to.

The Adelaide Connection
02-03-2011, 06:21 PM

:D
Fantastic.

boydogs
02-03-2011, 08:46 PM
To which year? They have ****ed about with the rules for so long its hard to say when to roll back to.

Probably to just before the dragging the ball in holding the ball rule change. That plus hands in the back, deliberate out of bounds and chopping the arms are very inconsistently umpired, they are too subjective or difficult to spot