PDA

View Full Version : Dark horse opponents of 2011

Ghost Dog
16-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Last year, Freo surprised everyone with their footy.
Who will be the outsider that really shakes the ladder up this year?

For me, Melbourne could be the new Freo in 2011 and a team to watch out for.
Their young list must have gained alot of confidence out of their season in 2010.
Pushed us to the limit, collingwood, and other teams.

Yours?

Remi Moses
17-12-2010, 12:14 AM
I think North will finish above Melbourne next season,I just think Melbourne have discarded to many senior players.Plus I think they're better coached.
I reckonAdelaide and North will make it

westdog54
17-12-2010, 12:52 AM
The thing about Freo is that they came out of absolutely nowhere. At the start of the year Mark Harvey's job was on the line. We know Melbourne has an emerging list that will do great things in the next couple of years so I don't think you could consider them a dark horse.

North on the other hand, had some real lowlights last year and I don't know how much has changed over the summer, but then again, there's some talent there.

Mofra
17-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Essendon beat us once last year, and whilst I don't think too much of them they seem to play well against us. Hopefully the injection of pace to the list negates some of that advantage.

comrade
17-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Essendon beat us once last year, and whilst I don't think too much of them they seem to play well against us. Hopefully the injection of pace to the list negates some of that advantage.

One of the worst games I've ever seen live. If it wasn't for The Coon Dog's company (and The Coon Pup), I could have easily left at half time.

LostDoggy
17-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Adelaide? lol

LostDoggy
17-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Surely the biggest dark horse for 2011 has to be the Gold Coast. With every other club there is a from line from with to base your perception, and whilst they played in the VLF last year, the 2011 team will be vastly different.

I remember when the Bears and Fitzroy merged, everyone thought that they would be a powerhouse the following year, although that did not turn out to be the case.

Mantis
17-12-2010, 11:37 AM

Since the start of the 2006 season we are 7- 1 against Essendon.

LostDoggy
17-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Surely the biggest dark horse for 2011 has to be the Gold Coast. With every other club there is a from line from with to base your perception, and whilst they played in the VLF last year, the 2011 team will be vastly different.

I remember when the Bears and Fitzroy merged, everyone thought that they would be a powerhouse the following year, although that did not turn out to be the case.

Darkhorse purely because of being a new club. They wont do much at all and will be the shoulders that at least 13-14 other clubs should stand on at the end of the year.

Not so much darkhorses, but i believe North and Melbourne will be the major movers, even if it's only a couple of places each. I love their 18- 23 y.o lists. Very exciting young breed of players with too many to name, esp North.

LostDoggy
17-12-2010, 12:31 PM
I see Richmond finally shaking loose the shackles.

LostDoggy
17-12-2010, 12:33 PM
The thing about Freo is that they came out of absolutely nowhere. At the start of the year Mark Harvey's job was on the line. We know Melbourne has an emerging list that will do great things in the next couple of years so I don't think you could consider them a dark horse.

North on the other hand, had some real lowlights last year and I don't know how much has changed over the summer, but then again, there's some talent there.

Freo seemed to come out of nowhere because they get no press. None at all in Melbourne, and little even in Perth. Anyone that watched the team closely in 2009 picked it. I like Freo a lot, mostly because they aren't the Eagles and most Eagles fans hate them, and I have infinite love for anybody, anything, that causes an Eagle supporter any measure of discomfort or pain.

mjp
17-12-2010, 03:16 PM
Freo seemed to come out of nowhere because they get no press. None at all in Melbourne, and little even in Perth. Anyone that watched the team closely in 2009 picked it. I like Freo a lot, mostly because they aren't the Eagles and most Eagles fans hate them, and I have infinite love for anybody, anything, that causes an Eagle supporter any measure of discomfort or pain.

Freo are just fine for publicity in Perth...they would get approx 10 times the coverage in Perth than the Dogs get in Melbourne.

Greystache
17-12-2010, 03:57 PM

I think you're confusing attacking ball movement and running lines with leg speed. Essendon would be one of, if not the slowest teams in the AFL. They are incorrectly perceived to be quick because they run hard one way and in numbers, when it comes off it gives them the appearance of being quick.

LostDoggy
17-12-2010, 04:47 PM
I think you're confusing attacking ball movement and running lines with leg speed. Essendon would be one of, if not the slowest teams in the AFL. They are incorrectly perceived to be quick because they run hard one way and in numbers, when it comes off it gives them the appearance of being quick.

:confused:

I do understand that point you are making, however it seems to be a moot point if infact Essendon are a quick team by Virtue of the fact that they play a game style that incorporates running hard one way, and in numbers to facilitate the quick movement of the ball.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-12-2010, 04:51 PM
I don't rate North Melbourne at all. Harvey's older, Petrie is injury prone. They have no other genuine match winners, and I think Ziebell has been grossly overrated based on his output so far. They're still middle of the road.

My pick is Adelaide. Plenty of good young players and a successful club that rarely stays down long. Craig's a very good coach too, although there's doubts over his ability to take a side to the 'next step'. They had a horrible pre-season last year in terms of injuries, so I think they'll bounce back. I'm surprised they've been forgotton by so many.

Sloane, MacKay, Dangerfield, van Berlo, Thompson, Tippett, Walker, Porplyzia, Knights, Davis, Henderson, Jaensch, Otten, Vince and Tambling to name a few. Jacobs will improve their ruck division.

Greystache
17-12-2010, 05:30 PM
:confused:

I do understand that point you are making, however it seems to be a moot point if infact Essendon are a quick team by Virtue of the fact that they play a game style that incorporates running hard one way, and in numbers to facilitate the quick movement of the ball.

It means they're easily exploited for their actual lack of leg speed by pressuring the ball carrier and forcing turnovers in our defensive fifty.

LostDoggy
17-12-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't rate North Melbourne at all. Harvey's older, Petrie is injury prone. They have no other genuine match winners, and I think Ziebell has been grossly overrated based on his output so far. They're still middle of the road.

My pick is Adelaide. Plenty of good young players and a successful club that rarely stays down long. Craig's a very good coach too, although there's doubts over his ability to take a side to the 'next step'. They had a horrible pre-season last year in terms of injuries, so I think they'll bounce back. I'm surprised they've been forgotton by so many.

Sloane, MacKay, Dangerfield, van Berlo, Thompson, Tippett, Walker, Porplyzia, Knights, Davis, Henderson, Jaensch, Otten, Vince and Tambling to name a few. Jacobs will improve their ruck division.

Your right , there were several performances that really showed that their midfield structure and field positioning in general was at the highest level , the round 16 win over Geelong as an example, with a better run with injuries I,m sure they will push for top 4 or 5

It should be Collingwood, Western Bulldogs, Fremantle, Adelaide, Geelong, St Kilda as the top six

Dazza
19-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Sounds obvious but I think Melbourne will climb the ladder at a rapid rate. Last year they really pushed some of the top 4 sides right to the brink and narrowly lost the games plus they weren't really belted all year unlike another contender in North Melbourne who seemed to not have the class of the top 4 sides but took care of the teams that they should have beaten. If you had a track record of Freo's form line in 2009 you would have seen they lost some really close games as well with alot of that to do with running out of gas in the last quarter and being overrun.

Another I see making an improvement is Hawthorn and if they don't Clarkson is finished.

ratsmac
19-12-2010, 01:53 PM

Good Post but I fail to understand why Tambling is in that list of players that are any good. He may improve in a new environment but has been a flop to date. I'm still bemused to why Adelaide even traded for him.

I don't see Adelaide as qualifying as a dark horse though. They were just a massive failure last season. I agree that they will be big improver's on last seasons result though.

I think Richmond will big improver's next season but just might finish ninth once again.

dog town
19-12-2010, 03:52 PM

Sloane, MacKay, Dangerfield, van Berlo, Thompson, Tippett, Walker, Porplyzia, Knights, Davis, Henderson, Jaensch, Otten, Vince and Tambling to name a few. Jacobs will improve their ruck division. Agree with all of that. Scott has done a good job creating the impression of a young up and coming team at North but I am not sure that is the reality. They are young but I dont know if the top end quality is really around for them.

Adelaide is a clear danger team. Really liked some of the kids they played this year and Craig is good at quietly rebuilding without bottoming out. They got some really good games into some kids this year.

the banker
20-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Dark horse probably means someone coming through from the bottom six. Adelaide and Melbourne both qualify on that score and we could expect one or both to scamble into the finals. Think Carlton, Hawthorn, Adelaide may be the improvers and St Kilda, Swans, Freo the sliders.