PDA

View Full Version : 2011 East-West Day

AndrewP6
21-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Here's a date for your diary, WOOFers! East meets West Family Day, Jan 22nd 2011.

http://www.facebook.com/Western.Bulldogs

LostDoggy
22-12-2010, 10:29 AM
I've locked it in!! It's always a good morning, seeing the boys training and getting a few happy snaps. Easy for me to get to too!! :)

LostDoggy
22-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Already in the diary

The Underdog
22-12-2010, 11:23 AM
It's the only chance I ever get to go to private school.

I'll try not to repeat last year's episode where I rushed my then 2yo daughter into the toilets (she wasn't great on the early warnings at that point), ran through the door and into a dozen players lining up to go in the showers. I quickly said sorry to Gia, lowered my head and ran into the cubicle, then looked at the floor all the way out.
If only I had have known the power of facebook, I could have pulled my camera out. Bazza may have disapproved though.:D

KT31
22-12-2010, 11:34 AM
I've locked it in!! It's always a good morning, seeing the boys training and getting a few happy snaps. Easy for me to get to too!! :)

Lucky for us your not a Saints supporter Suz.:D

LostDoggy
22-12-2010, 12:07 PM

He he. :D

LostDoggy
25-12-2010, 10:14 AM

Does this now mean that the saints will be delisted for bringing the game into disrepute :rolleyes:

angelopetraglia
21-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Who is getting along to this?

I'm thinking of getting along but have not been to one before.

It says it is going from 8am to 1pm. What is the best time to get there?

What has generally taken place in previous years?

Ovatheboarder
21-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Photos please for those of us not able to get there?

LostDoggy
21-01-2011, 08:36 PM

I'll be there with the mohawk up and flyng the clours. Went last year. Got there close to 9am and what a stinking hot day it turned out to be, both temperature and event. Got to shmooze and cruise around catching up with a plethora of WOOFers. Always nice to put a face to names. I watched the boys go through their paces giving many attendees a first glimpse of the new recruits. Got to rub shoulders and have a quick chat with close to the full list. A wide range of the latest merchandise was available (remember, as a member of the club, you get a discount) which you could get signed by your favourites (remember folks, manners will get you miles in life so pleases and thank yous never go astray). at the appropriate time. And remember your marker pens folks. There's never enough to go around, it always seems.
A sausage sizzle and drinks were available too. Rocket talked about how preseason was transpiring and introduced the new guys and had a few players speak,
Great day and really looking forward to tomorrow. Hope to see you there1
For more info,

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/east%20meets%20west%20family%20day/tabid/15613/default.aspx

AndrewP6
21-01-2011, 09:14 PM

I'll be there, have been to the last few, on the recommendations of a work friend (who supports the Aints, but is a keen follower of all things football!)... it tends to be a "light run" type of session, players on boxing drills, working in groups on skills, bit of running. It's good because you can basically sit on the edge of the oval up close. Rocket usually speaks after the session, introduces the new players, talks about injuries, form and goals. PLayers usually hang about for pics and autographs, which again is a good chance to meet and greet. With Aker and Bazz recently on board, attendance has been up, so I'm getting there earlier....

8 o'clock??? IN THE MORNING??? :eek::) I might have to sleep there the night before.

angelopetraglia
22-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Great morning. Some pics;

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_A3FzC3RE3yY/TTojTtO3FlI/AAAAAAAAAMY/Z13NXip4f8k/s912/IMG_6790.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_A3FzC3RE3yY/TTojRrpzilI/AAAAAAAAAMM/s6fBKCeGqsE/s912/IMG_6766.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_A3FzC3RE3yY/TTolS0oNxHI/AAAAAAAAAMo/lMicnasjua0/s912/IMG_6810.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_A3FzC3RE3yY/TTolTj1iWBI/AAAAAAAAAMs/Zfih3dGjm7g/s800/IMG_6796.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_A3FzC3RE3yY/TTolSPvznsI/AAAAAAAAAMk/RxlClm_Fzg0/s800/IMG_6804.JPG

AndrewP6
22-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Will post in more detail later, just wanted to thank the Bulldogs for the advertised 8am start :rolleyes: :mad:

Got there at 5 to 8, got in front possie, camera ready...and then sat there for the best part of an hour. I know there were players there, I saw some arriving as I pushed round to the oval.

8am... Hmmmph...:(:eek:

BulldogBelle
22-01-2011, 02:00 PM
yeah we got there about 8.10

Really did not get going until about 9

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2609/dscf3612w.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6788/dscf3616w.jpg

Wife was pissed off, the son stuck his head in this photo:D

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8324/dscf3617.jpg

Cyberdoggie
22-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Wasn't as large a crowd as i thought there would be, plenty more notification this year but a similar or slightly smaller crowd than the last i think.

I won't ramble on too much but some key points:

* CFO Simon Garlick did the usual Smorgo role and started the talking, talked about prospects, club etc and also interviewed rocket which was interesting (rocket getting asked questions from i guess his boss in public). Simon was very impressive actually, as a player i remember him being a quieter friendly guy, didn't think he was as confident and ascertive in front of a crowd type of person.

* Target of 38,000 members this year. Currently on $20,000

* No longer the poor club of the west. New Whitten Oval and fininacial profits show we are strong etc.

* Want to get to that GF and win it this year

Rocket:
* Training the house down, as is everyone, no expectation on nab cup and said we'd play the kids and rotate players to get them right for the start rnd 1. Basically said "When we lose" in the nab cup.

* Tough and interesting first few rounds with the bye', GC, pies, freo, short breaks, long breaks, and essendon round 1. Thinks they will be tough, especially with the Hird factor and they seem to be "getting arrogant" again.

* Introduced new players, rocket interviewed wallis, sherman and liba.

* Wallis is particularly confident but level headed. Will make a wonderful player and will do the number 3 justice imo (not like the last wearer).

* Tom Liberatore was a little quiet and got asked a question of where his expectations are this year from rocket. He basically said to cement a spot at willy and take it from there. I guess that's a reasonable expectation but it was odd getting asked that question from your coach in public and giving a reply that seemed a little low in confidence.
Realistically he's going to have to put on a lot more muscle and weight to compete in his prefered position if he wants to force his way in. He will have to compete with Cross, Boyd in the middle.

* Sherman was asked the difference between dogs and lions. Said that everyone in the club are far more approachable here and much more emphasis on attack, running and goal scoring which he likes.

* Rocket gave some praise to all the new draftees, best first year players he has seen in his time, Schofield got some good wraps from coach with his practice match form.

* Rocket said Tom Hill probably surprised himself at how he would be able to cope with the pre-season due to his previous injuries etc. Looks to be a good strong tall who is already more developed physically than Jones, Roughead, Grant, but obviously needs fitness.

* On Ed Barlow, Rocket said Cross was not happy at him for beating him in some time trials. Got a laugh.

My observations:

* Not a lot to see in terms of performance as it was a very light training session.

* Players are looking light and fit with good physical developement. Not the bulging muscle trend of the past, they definately look like athletes, even big will is quite a bit leaner.

* Interesting change in dynamics now that Aker, Eagle, Johnno are gone. Guys like Minson and Hudson are senior figures, Minson leading a lot of the training drills with Boyd, Gia. Murphy, Gilbee down the back.

* Good injection of small quicks into the squad, look a lot more versatile and our talls don't look like dinosaurs compared to them. Less of a divide between runners and talls if that makes sense.

* Boyd is not the best speaker as a captain, a popular choice with the people though.
Good scar on his left hand, i'm assuming that was the broken hand from last year. Looks quite fresh still.

The Coon Dog
22-01-2011, 02:28 PM
^^^^

Good report Cyberdoggie.

One thing that stood out from Rocket's speech was that in the past senior players had credits in the bank which perhaps won them selection last year when maybe form didn't warrant it.

He said that will change & he expects to blood plenty of new players this season.

angelopetraglia
22-01-2011, 02:41 PM
* Players are looking light and fit with good physical developement. Not the bulging muscle trend of the past, they definately look like athletes, even big will is quite a bit leaner.

Was thinking exactly the same and made this point in the car on the way home. Every year of late, their is more emphasis on running and more fitness will be required again this year with the new 3 man bench rule.

bornadog
22-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Was thinking exactly the same and made this point in the car on the way home. Every year of late, their is more emphasis on running and more fitness will be required again this year with the new 3 man bench rule.

Rocket is a master at tactics and has basically changed the way footy is played these days. It all started in 2005 and we really didn't start using his game plan till the last 5 or 6 rounds with the run run run, which caught out many teams. Last couple of years his rotations have been incredible with some games over 150. Now with the three men bench rule, I am sure he is already worked out how he is going to use the spare man. Fitness is a key to his game plans.

always right
22-01-2011, 04:01 PM

Was that your little tacker stealing all the attention in front of the new players during Rocket's introduction?:)

I saw Crossy bending over to get his photo taken and your little bloke pinched Crossy on the backside. Cheeky....in a cute way.:D

chef
22-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks Cyberdoggie, Awesome review:).

AndrewP6
22-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Was that your little tacker stealing all the attention in front of the new players during Rocket's introduction?:)

I saw Crossy bending over to get his photo taken and your little bloke pinched Crossy on the backside. Cheeky....in a cute way.:D

That was with me!!! Crossy not impressed, he muttered a few things under the breath!

AndrewP6
22-01-2011, 10:05 PM
As I mentioned earlier, I was fairly peeved at the late start (well, it was advertised as 8am!), but it is a good chance to see the lads up close. Not that much to report on the training side of things, it was over in a flash. Hadn't seen Wallis in the flesh until today, and he certainly looks the goods. Hard to believe he's only a kid actually, he's really well built. Good to hear the boys a bit vocal during some of the drills. As others have noted, Willlbur looks leaner, hope he has a good year. I also thought Gilbee looked a bit trimmer than last year. Higgins looked in really good nick too. Baz had the morning off with conjunctivitis, Coons didn't train, and Shaggy on a crutch hobbling round :(

I was quite impressed speaking to some of the lads. I spoke to Higgins, Roughy, Zephi Skinner, Hoops, Crossy, DJ, Shermanator, Wallis and The Beard...I think that's it! All were friendly, and happy to answer any of my silly questions - Huddo said he can't shave The Beard without Bob Murphy's permission!:). DJ and Sherman were very approachable, had a good chat to DJ about him playing up forward, and Sherman about how he's enjoying things here. Told Wallis how I'd watched his old man as a little kid, he was really surprised. Seems like a nice young fella.

Saw Da Druid and The Teeth... very impressive DD! I think I also saw TCD from a distance, apologies if it was you, I was chatting at the time and then you'd gone.
I'll put some of the pics on photobucket...although be warned, the pics of me with players were just taken by randoms, and to be paraphrase Basil Fawlty, "I may as well ask the cat"... didn't think it was THAT hard! Oh well, Family Day is next month.

EDIT: Here, for your viewing pleasure (or displeasure!) are some pics from the day. The last one from today is the out of focus me and Boydy, I accidentally put them in the default album. Others are from last year.
http://s739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/

LostDoggy
23-01-2011, 12:20 AM
I also ventured along today and was very impressed with the way the players made themselves available to supporters of all ages.

Two players that I saw who stood out due to their personality and keeness to please, were young Wally and Cordy. I'm not saying there weren't other players of the same mould, but I just happened to be near these guys at various times.

Whilst I didn't speak to any of the players, I did speak to Rodney.

I asked him 3 questions:

1. Was the choice of Boyd as captain made some time back?
Eade: No way. The club had wanted Eade to make a decision before Xmas, but he couldn't.
He thought Cooney would make a good captain, but Cooney believed he wasn't ready yet for the number of public speaking engagment required. Eade didn't comment on the other candidates, although he is very happy with the 3 leaders.

2. Out of Johnson, Eagleton, and Harbrow, who would be the hardest to replace?
Eade: Harbrow - with a number of players to be looked at to take him place, Murphy will be considered due to his decision making and skills.
Johnson's replacement is likely to be Veszpremi who is thriving with the Dogs.
No comment was made on Eagleton's likely replacement.

3. The 3 Interchange / 1 Sub rule - how long before the AFL reverts back to the old system?
Eade: 2 years - the AFL would never admit they were wrong and would run a 2 year trial.

I'm very thankful to Rodney making the effort in approaching many supporters he didn't know at the East West day, not just this year but over a number of years - something some high profile coaches couldn't be bothered doing! We are very fortunate.

For the supporters who couldn't be there today, it's only 12 months before your next opportunity to mingle with the players with the freedom as reported by our Woof members. Lock in the Saturdays of mid to late January '12.

BulldogBelle
23-01-2011, 01:29 AM

He was one of the kids up the front when Rocket was talking.
But not the kid who took a run across the front of the players when Eade was talking.

Ovatheboarder
23-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys, sounds like a good day and particularly well run by the club.

LostDoggy
23-01-2011, 12:00 PM

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/2609/dscf3612w.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6788/dscf3616w.jpg

Wife was pissed off, the son stuck his head in this photo:D

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8324/dscf3617.jpg

Who's that in the background over the wife's right shoulder in the last image. Choppers going ten to the dozen into a bacon and egg sanger? I wonder? ;)

ledge
23-01-2011, 12:27 PM
HaHA taking advantage of the new teeth.

LostDoggy
23-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Who's that in the background over the wife's right shoulder in the last image. Choppers going ten to the dozen into a bacon and egg sanger? I wonder? ;)

That Bacon & egg sanga didn't curb your appetite tho. Did it DD! :D

Just realised the green smilie was fashioned off DaDruid's new Chompers :D :D :D :D

LostDoggy
23-01-2011, 06:29 PM
That Bacon & egg sanga didn't curb your appetite tho. Did it DD! :D

Just realised the green smilie was fashioned off DaDruid's new Chompers :D :D :D :D

But the barbeque at your place after East Meets West did!! :D;):D:D

comrade
23-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Have I logged into WOOF.net.au or DaDruid.net.au?

;)

Hot_Doggies
23-01-2011, 09:10 PM

;)

Good point Comrade!

Next he will pull out a gold jacket! ;)

LostDoggy
23-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the photos guys - I'm loving how Walis is looking at this early stage of his career - he certainly is working hard in the gym! :D

AndrewP6
23-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the photos guys - I'm loving how Walis is looking at this early stage of his career - he certainly is working hard in the gym! :D

Yep, I made a comment to several that he looks ready to play. :)

LostDoggy
23-01-2011, 10:52 PM

;)

Psst.. know any good webpage designers?

;);):cool::D

LostDoggy
23-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Good point Comrade!

Next he will pull out a gold jacket! ;)

That hurt, Hot Doggies. :eek::o:o

LostDoggy
24-01-2011, 11:48 AM
I was also there on Saturday. Have been to the last three(?) It's much quicker for me to get to Wesley College than the Whitten Oval. And the crowd is smaller too, which makes it easier to get photos etc.

Had a good catch up with some WOOFers, and also met some new ones. Was introduced to Rocket - what a lovely man. Had all the time in the world to chat. Lots of people asking for autographs and photos with him, and he was so accommodating.

Also had photos taken with Dylan Addison, Liam Picken, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross & Andrew Hooper. Unfortunately I didn't have any friends on Saturday so some of the photos weren't great. AndrewP6, we should've been photo buddies!! :D

Dylan Addison & Andrew Hooper are both playing in the Bulldogs V Storm Twenty 20 cricket match on Sunday too. :)

stefoid
24-01-2011, 12:22 PM
* Rocket gave some praise to all the new draftees, best first year players he has seen in his time, Schofield got some good wraps from coach with his practice match form.

Thats pretty huge statement -- he has seen a few batches of draftess in his time.

comrade
24-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Thats pretty huge statement -- he has seen a few batches of draftess in his time.

Having Wallis and Libba in the group would have a lot to do with it, but his public comments do suggest he's pretty happy with all of them. Let's hope they kick on.

LostDoggy
24-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Having Wallis and Libba in the group would have a lot to do with it, but his public comments do suggest he's pretty happy with all of them. Let's hope they kick on.

I also think it's because many of the draftees look like they can play this year. Wallis is on track for Round 1, Libber is likely to get some games, Skinner is mature-aged and Schofield is solidly built.
A good comparison is our last Clayton draft of Cordy, Jones and Roughead. Potentially, that's an excellent draft but none of those guys were likely to get any games in their first year.

ledge
24-01-2011, 08:50 PM
I also think it's because many of the draftees look like they can play this year. Wallis is on track for Round 1, Libber is likely to get some games, Skinner is mature-aged and Schofield is solidly built.
A good comparison is our last Clayton draft of Cordy, Jones and Roughead. Potentially, that's an excellent draft but none of those guys were likely to get any games in their first year.

Thats an opposite comparison.
This lot is ready now Claytons were 2 to 3 years off.

Mantis
24-01-2011, 09:59 PM

They are?

Wallis might be thereabouts, but I see the rest of the draftees being a fair way off and have quite a few players ahead of them in the queue.

LostDoggy
24-01-2011, 10:59 PM

Thats what I meant. The similarity is that both show potential to be excellent drafts. The contrast is that last years lot are much more likely to get first year games.
It may still be a low likelihood but significantly greater than the chances of Cordy, Roughead, Jones getting first year games.

AndrewP6
25-01-2011, 01:08 AM
Unfortunately I didn't have any friends on Saturday so some of the photos weren't great. AndrewP6, we should've been photo buddies!! :D

Haha...great idea. I can't believe how difficult some people appear to find taking a simple portrait!:eek:

LostDoggy
25-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Haha...great idea. I can't believe how difficult some people appear to find taking a simple portrait!:eek:

I get many people having to do 2 photos with because they don't get all that mohawk in side the frame 1st time round.

AndrewP6
25-01-2011, 10:43 PM
I get many people having to do 2 photos with because they don't get all that mohawk in side the frame 1st time round.

A dilemma, for sure.:) Have a look at my pics, the one of me and Zephi Skinner has about one quarter of our faces!