PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs 4th Quarter

AndrewP6
23-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Got mine in today's mail. Bit of an improvement on the 3rd quarter, at least in the amount of articles included!

Cover features Griff, Gia and Crossy all suited up, Griff wearing the Charlie Sutton Medal, and the headline "Ryan Griffen - Young Dog has breakout year" Inside is the review of the end of year awards.

Smorgo's report details the club's growth (on and off-field) and urges fans to stick with the team, stating he is "happy to go on record as saying that our window has not closed".

Campbell Rose's final report as CEO includes "Key Milestones achieved in 2010" such as our highest membership tally, strong TV ratings and a $38 million turnaround in Net Assets since 2002. I'm no financial whiz, but that at least sounds good!:)

Elsewhere, Rocket details the trades we acquired, and of course says how happy they were (what else was he going to say? :)) I found it interesting when discussing the Shermanator, he says he is seen as a "more flexible option" - take that, Harbrow! ;) He also discusses the FS selections, Monty's appointment and of course the mandatory plea for members to stick with us. There's a round-by-round season review (including finals) which I enjoyed reading. A page update on the WO redevelopment is interesting - they certainly have revitalised the Club in that respect.

Tribute is paid to the retiring Johnno and Eagle, 2010 milestone games are reported, and the new Pups are included. HUGE howler on the Eagleton article, headlined "The Quiet Acheiver":eek: Poor form, Anna Mitchell and Lauren Monger!

LostDoggy
24-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I haven't read mine as yet, but the cover is nice!! Looking forward to having a read when the Christmas chaos is over. :)

Is the howler because 'Acheiver' is spelt incorrectly?

AndrewP6
24-12-2010, 01:21 PM
I haven't read mine as yet, but the cover is nice!! Looking forward to having a read when the Christmas chaos is over. :)

OOPS sorry for the spoiler - only posted it to assist with those who didn't have one yet!

Yes, I thought it ordinary to make such a glaring error, particularly for an article on a retiring player...

LostDoggy
24-12-2010, 01:39 PM
OOPS sorry for the spoiler - only posted it to assist with those who didn't have one yet!

Yes, I thought it ordinary to make such a glaring error, particularly for an article on a retiring player...

No, no problem at all Andrew!! Thanks for the rundown. :)

LostDoggy
24-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Should be a good read..straight to the throne room!

BornInDroopSt'54
24-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Should be a good read..straight to the throne room!

Yeah I haven't got a pool room either.

LostDoggy
24-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Yeah I haven't got a pool room either.

My pool room is a very messy garage

Mofra
27-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Elsewhere, Rocket details the trades we acquired, and of course says how happy they were (what else was he going to say? :)) I found it interesting when discussing the Shermanator, he says he is seen as a "more flexible option" - take that, Harbrow! ;)
I found this comment very odd - Harbrow started forward, made his name as a backman and played through the middle in 2010 as we became exposed for pace.
Unless Harbrow rucks next year (and given he is up against Fraser anything is possible :p) I don't know how much more flexible he could be as a player, noting he doesn't have the build for an inside midfielder's role.

AndrewP6
28-12-2010, 01:25 AM
I found this comment very odd - Harbrow started forward, made his name as a backman and played through the middle in 2010 as we became exposed for pace.
Unless Harbrow rucks next year (and given he is up against Fraser anything is possible :p) I don't know how much more flexible he could be as a player, noting he doesn't have the build for an inside midfielder's role.

Possibly a bit odd, I just read it as a parting shot...

soupman
29-12-2010, 12:21 PM

It could simply be a reference to the fact that only his performances as a defender were of AFL standard.

BulldogBelle
29-12-2010, 03:43 PM
To true. He was fantastic in defence and I really wish this guy well, but he did enter the senior side as a small forward and was pretty ordinary in that role. He always looked rushed and disposed poorly as a result. I think jarrod prefers to be the hunter rather than the hunted.

Scraggers
29-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Just got my copy today ... Was happy to see my son's name in the mag. in the new members (the old Born A Bulldog) section.

Dazza
30-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Haven't recieved mine yet. Is the 4th quarter only for the bulldogs for life subscribers?

azabob
30-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Haven't recieved mine yet. Is the 4th quarter only for the bulldogs for life subscribers?

Should be all members. Did you get the previous editions?

Murphy'sLore
30-12-2010, 02:57 PM

And that's by no means the only typo or punctuation error or grammatical slip-up within. Sorry to be pedantic, but it really looks horribly sloppy for what was otherwise an informative and interesting issue. I've offered my services as proof-reader before and been declined, but I think I'm going to have to offer again; it's just not good enough.

This was by far the meatiest volume this year. What I'd love to see is the magazine containing a little less corporate spin and being a little more like WOOF! Why can't we get a couple of First Dog's cartoons in there, interviews with past players, a page of stories about the old days or "how I became a supporter", a la some of the threads we've seen on WOOF? Perhaps an article about fan psychology from Raw Toast? The supporters are a great resource and it would be nice to see them utilised in the production of the magazine.

Mofra
30-12-2010, 03:10 PM
This was by far the meatiest volume this year. What I'd love to see is the magazine containing a little less corporate spin and being a little more like WOOF! Why can't we get a couple of First Dog's cartoons in there, interviews with past players, a page of stories about the old days or "how I became a supporter", a la some of the threads we've seen on WOOF? Perhaps an article about fan psychology from Raw Toast? The supporters are a great resource and it would be nice to see them utilised in the production of the magazine.
That is a really good suggestion - even if it was just one or two pages that are made up of fan contributions (not just adults either).
Imagine how excited a 6 year old kid would be, having a story printed in the Bulldog magazine?

AndrewP6
30-12-2010, 06:56 PM
And that's by no means the only typo or punctuation error or grammatical slip-up within. Sorry to be pedantic, but it really looks horribly sloppy for what was otherwise an informative and interesting issue. I've offered my services as proof-reader before and been declined, but I think I'm going to have to offer again; it's just not good enough.

On the WB Facebook page, they asked for suggestions for the mag, and some similar to yours were mentioned. Perhaps next year?

NoName
31-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Always a good read IMO.

Hotdog60
01-01-2011, 05:58 PM

Haven't got mine yet also, maybe interstate post is slow.

LostDoggy
01-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Have read most of it and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Will finish the rest off soon as I Got a copy of "JOHNNO" and couldn't put it down. Will also finish The Bulldog Heritage soon. :)