PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Flights for 2011 Interstate games

aker39
04-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Tiger have got a sale on at the moment with cheap flights to some of our interestate games.

Round 4 v Freo in Perth 25th April - $198 return (Avalon)

Round 7 v Swans in Canberra 7th May - $72 return

Round 9 v Eagles in Perth 22nd May - $165 return

Round 14 v Suns on Gold Coast 25th June - $118 return

Round 18 v Swans in Sydney 23rd July - $48 return (Avalon) & $57 return (Melb)

Round 22 v Port in Adelaide 21st August - $55 return

http://www.tigerairways.com/au/en/real_deals.php

LostDoggy
04-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the cheap flights.

Having flown Tiger before, I suggest that you don't book a flight to arrive at the destination later than 5 hours prior to the Game, otherwise you may live to regret it.

Its also very dangerous booking with most airlines this early unless you have also given yourself a larger time buffer as they often cancel and reschedule flight times to meet ticket sales or lack thereof.

Also watch out for direct flights that later get bumped into connecting flights (typically destinations via Sydney with Virgin).

On business I got bumped with Virgin from a Canberra Melbourne Direct Flight to a Can-Syd-Melb flight that turned a 50 minutes trip into nearly 3 hours. On leisure this time with a flight I booked 2 months in advance I got bumped from a direct Mel-OOL to a Mel-Syd-OOL that was then delayed and nearly eventuated in a missed connection in Sydney.

LostDoggy
04-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the information aker39!!

I've flown Tiger numerous times, and (touch wood) haven't had too many issues with them. The only thing is that there are so many 'add ons', so what looks like a really cheap fare ends up being no so cheap with luggage fees (from $28 - $50 each way), credit card fees etc. But if you just have the under 7kg hand luggage it works out well.

I've already booked flights to Gold Coast for the game through Jetstar. $205 return, including 25kg luggage. I'm hoping it all runs smoothly!! :)

Murphy'sLore
04-01-2011, 03:21 PM
We will be taking the whole family to the Gold Coast for the Suns game too. Should be a nice mid-winter break!

Mitcha
04-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Attempted to fly to Sydney with Tiger recently, flight cancelled, chaos in terminal, staff not knowing what the hell was going on. Needless to say Tiger will not be seeing any of my coin ever again.

LostDoggy
05-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Already booked a long weekend in Perth! Game vs WCE in May. $330 return with Virgin..not risking anything with Tiger/Qantas and was better priced than Jetstar and decent flying times (nasty late flights with Tigers $200 deal).

Recommend having a look at virginblue.com.au they also have a sale on until Thursday @ Midnight.

Was gunna goto the Gold Coast too but will save my coin for an end of season trip to South Afrida :D

LostDoggy
06-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Going to Gold Coast for same reason as Murphy'sLore. Partner ges the beach, I get Carrara.

LostDoggy
06-01-2011, 10:28 AM
We will be taking the whole family to the Gold Coast for the Suns game too. Should be a nice mid-winter break!

Going to Gold Coast for same reason as Murphy'sLore. Partner ges the beach, I get Carrara.

Looks like we'll have a few up there!! We're going for a few days, taking in some theme parks too. :)

Murphy'sLore
06-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Looks like we'll have a few up there!! We're going for a few days, taking in some theme parks too. :)

Us too, it coincides with the youngest's birthday so we're pretending it's all about her, whereas in fact it's all about the footy... heh heh.

LostDoggy
06-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Us too, it coincides with the youngest's birthday so we're pretending it's all about her, whereas in fact it's all about the footy... heh heh.

That's like the missus, she saw through my ruse in about 3 seconds flat so we're both commited to pretending it's all about her winter holiday and not myself and the football. :D

LostDoggy
06-01-2011, 12:02 PM

Love it!! :D

LostDoggy
07-03-2011, 10:40 PM
totally contemplating the game vs Syd at Manuka. $1 airfare on Tiger.

aker39
07-03-2011, 11:08 PM

The $1 fare is only one way, the other leg is normal price.

The Adelaide Connection
08-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Just a heads up: If you select Web check in (which saves $30) you need to do it in advance (I think my mate said 4 hours) otherwise you attract an extra fee. He got stung doing it too close to the flight, had to cough up a heap of cash on fees and then got stung an extra surcharge for paying the fee on his credit card.

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 12:24 AM
The $1 fare is only one way, the other leg is normal price.

Yeah I know, but a total of $49 for a return flight isn't bad! I mean, it is to Canberra....:D

aker39
08-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Yeah I know, but a total of $49 for a return flight isn't bad! I mean, it is to Canberra....:D

Just letting others know.

LostDoggy
08-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Just letting others know.

Oh ok, yeah didn't think of that.
Thanks!

LostDoggy
09-03-2011, 06:57 PM

Not gunna whine and complain about Tiger as I have had 2 decent experiences with them, but leave yourself plenty of time either way, cancelled & delayed flights are their specialty ;)

Cyberdoggie
10-03-2011, 01:50 PM
It's about $68 to the GC.

LostDoggy
21-03-2011, 04:37 PM
In past years the club have produced a form before the start of the season covering all interstate games for ther season. In my case I would book and PAY for all the interstate games at the start of the season. The club would have the tickets to each game available about 2 weeks before each game. I have rang a few times to enquire if and when this form would be available, I was told around round 1, so I rang again today to be told that to save the club money there would be very limited tickets available through the club and I would be better off sourcing my own tickets. I was very disappointed to hear this, I found this to be a service the club provided to members who went to the trouble of supporting the club interstate. I fail to see how the club saves money buy not doing this when the tickets are paid for and in my case all up front before the season. I have sent an email to the membership manager and hope I have been given wrong info.

LostDoggy
21-03-2011, 06:37 PM
No good! Hoping to book some tickets through them for the Perth game in May.

aker39
29-03-2011, 11:13 AM
In past years the club have produced a form before the start of the season covering all interstate games for ther season. In my case I would book and PAY for all the interstate games at the start of the season. The club would have the tickets to each game available about 2 weeks before each game. I have rang a few times to enquire if and when this form would be available, I was told around round 1, so I rang again today to be told that to save the club money there would be very limited tickets available through the club and I would be better off sourcing my own tickets. I was very disappointed to hear this, I found this to be a service the club provided to members who went to the trouble of supporting the club interstate. I fail to see how the club saves money buy not doing this when the tickets are paid for and in my case all up front before the season. I have sent an email to the membership manager and hope I have been given wrong info.

You have been given the wrong info.

Here is the interstate booking form.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/portals/0/bulldogs_docs/2011_interstatebooking_form.pdf

LostDoggy
29-03-2011, 01:08 PM
You have been given the wrong info.

Here is the interstate booking form.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/portals/0/bulldogs_docs/2011_interstatebooking_form.pdf
Thanks Aker39, I sent an email to the club and the guy sent me the interstate booking form and apologized for me being givenm the wrong info. This was great, still not good given the wrong info in the first place.

LostDoggy
29-03-2011, 07:26 PM
$48.15 for a ticket to Subi? $53.75 for a ticket to Skilled?

Yikes.

Still think its utter stupidness that we are playing Geelong down there.

azabob
29-03-2011, 09:16 PM
$48.15 for a ticket to Subi? $53.75 for a ticket to Skilled?

Yikes.

Still think its utter stupidness that we are playing Geelong down there.

Why? It is Geelongs home game.

LostDoggy
29-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Why? It is Geelongs home game.

Yeah but they can host it at the G or the dome? and have 40-50000+ turn up? Fair enough play at skilled against Interstate teams and North, Wouldn't it be better financially? We have both been in the top 4 the last 3 years, more than 27,000 people (skilled capacity) will want to go.

aker39
11-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Fly to Perth out of Avalon for the Eagles games for $120 return + $30 luggage + $15 credit card fee = $165 total.

LostDoggy
11-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Fly to Perth out of Avalon for the Eagles games for $120 return + $30 luggage + $15 credit card fee = $165 total.

Tiger?

aker39
11-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Tiger?

Yep.

LostDoggy
11-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Yep.

Thanks, a friend is looking at going over. I'll let him know. :)

bornadog
11-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Before you start booking your cheap flight better watch this:D

HPyl2tOaKxM

LostDoggy
14-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Just received an email from Jetstar to inform me our 9.15pm flight out of the Gold Coast on Saturday 25th June has been resceduled to 5pm. Now considering the main reason we're going up is for the footy I don't think this new time will quite work. I'm trying to get through to them now...... :mad:

Sockeye Salmon
14-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Just received an email from Jetstar to inform me our 9.15pm flight out of the Gold Coast on Saturday 25th June has been resceduled to 5pm. Now considering the main reason we're going up is for the footy I don't think this new time will quite work. I'm trying to get through to them now...... :mad:

Jetstar are notorious for this. Did the same thing last year in Canberra.

Bulldog4life
14-06-2011, 06:47 PM

That's a blow. We're flying up and back with Tiger. Fingers crossed for all WOOFERS flying up that we all get there and back as arranged.

LostDoggy
15-06-2011, 10:29 AM
That's a blow. We're flying up and back with Tiger. Fingers crossed for all WOOFERS flying up that we all get there and back as arranged.

Yes, hopefully!! :)

Finally got through to Jetstar & we're now on a flight back Sunday morning. Have to stay an extra night but luckily we can extend our accommodation & Jetstar will apparently reimburse us for that. No way were we going to miss the footy!! :D

Bulldog4life
15-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Yes, hopefully!! :)

Finally got through to Jetstar & we're now on a flight back Sunday morning. Have to stay an extra night but luckily we can extend our accommodation & Jetstar will apparently reimburse us for that. No way were we going to miss the footy!! :D

That's great. We are flying up Thursday am and flying back Sunday late arvo. Let's hope the footy result is what we want too.

Murphy'sLore
15-06-2011, 03:02 PM
We're not taking any chances - flying up Wednesday and home the following Tuesday -- should be pretty safe! ;)

LostDoggy
15-06-2011, 03:23 PM
We fly up on Tuesday (volcanic ash or more flight cancellations pending), so hopefully we get there in time for the game!! ;) Hope to bump into you at the game Bulldog4life & Murphy's Lore. :)

Axe Man
16-06-2011, 12:49 PM
We fly up Thursday night and come back Monday. My Dad and his partner are taking a longer trip, leaving this Sunday and coming back the following Monday.

Is anybody going to the club function on the Friday night? Seems a little overpriced at $95 for 2 hours of canapes and drinks. Will probaby still go though!

LostDoggy
16-06-2011, 01:19 PM
We fly up Thursday night and come back Monday. My Dad and his partner are taking a longer trip, leaving this Sunday and coming back the following Monday.

Is anybody going to the club function on the Friday night? Seems a little overpriced at $95 for 2 hours of canapes and drinks. Will probaby still go though!

No, we're going to Outback Spectacular!! $90 for 3 course dinner, show & drinks. :D

Throughandthrough
16-06-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm flying to Perth this weekend (in theory) and have tickets to teh WCE vs Power game (free)

I was there a month ago and it was pretty one sided, I hope this is a bigger margin so i feel better.

LostDoggy
16-06-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm flying to Perth this weekend (in theory) and have tickets to teh WCE vs Power game (free)

I was there a month ago and it was pretty one sided, I hope this is a bigger margin so i feel better.

Enjoy the trip and go West Coast I assume!! :D

Murphy'sLore
21-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Was just at the Pound for lunch and apparently the players have already flown out. They were told 'get to the airport in an hour or we can't guarantee you'll make it.'

Don't think I'll be on a plane tomorrow morning somehow. :(

Axe Man
21-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Was just at the Pound for lunch and apparently the players have already flown out. They were told 'get to the airport in an hour or we can't guarantee you'll make it.'

Don't think I'll be on a plane tomorrow morning somehow. :(

Hopefully the ash clears up and you can still get up there on a later flight if your original flight is cancelled. I am busy praying we can fly on Thursday night as scheduled.

Murphy'sLore
21-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Hopefully the ash clears up and you can still get up there on a later flight if your original flight is cancelled. I am busy praying we can fly on Thursday night as scheduled.

Hope you're right AM, fingers crossed. My six yr old (in honour of whose birthday we are *ahem* also going up) is very sad atm. As long as we make it by Saturday!