PDA

View Full Version : Trial Rules - NAB Cup - Your view

Ghost Dog
10-01-2011, 04:54 PM
The trial rules which will be employed for the 2011 NAB Cup are as follows:

1. A player awarded a 50-metre penalty which takes him inside the 50-metre area can elect to attempt at goal from the edge of the 50-metre arc for a nine-point goal or choose inside the 50 for the conventional six-point goal.

2. The official scorer can assist with scoring decisions by reference to technology. With less than 10 incorrect scoring decisions from approximately 10,000 in season 2010, this innovation may not even be used. With an outcry from many sporting codes to take advantage of video technology, this initiative by the AFL seems reasonable.

AFL operations manager Adrian Anderson explained how the video replay would work.

“For example, after a goal, if there is no replay available by the time the ball was back in the middle ready to be bounced, we’ll just get on with the play. After a behind, the goal umpire can consult with the other umpires and the official scorer. If there is no replay immediately available, we’ll just get on with things,” Anderson said. If the flow of the game isn’t affected, then human error should be corrected for the better of the game.

3. Boundary umpires pay free kicks for holding and high contact at stoppages. With the large cluster of players surrounding stoppages it can’t be easy for one umpire to have a clear sight of all the players. Hence, this rule should assist the main umpire and help the game shy away from taggers getting the better of their opponents when off the ball.

4. A free kick will be paid against a player who drags or holds the ball under an opponent who attempts to knock it out.Too often we see players outsmart umpires by holding the ball against their opponents and not allowing them to release the ball, consequently winning a holding the ball decision.

5. In round only, a free kick will be awarded against the last player to touch the ball before it goes out of bounds (similar to association football).

Link (http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/12/17/innovative-format-and-rules-enhance-nab-cup/)

IMO
1 - Ok for NAB but forget it for reg season. Already so many rules.
2. Ok
3. Ok
4. Very hard to decide. Ball up seems fairest. Not sure
5. Don't like it. To hard to decide during a ruck contest.

Your view?

The Coon Dog
10-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Probably best to merge this thread:

2011 NAB Cup - Trial Rules (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8703)

Ghost Dog
10-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Probably best to merge this thread:

2011 NAB Cup - Trial Rules (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8703)

Sorry, didn't see this. Did do a search! Delete please Gods of the forum

The Coon Dog
10-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Sorry, didn't see this. Did do a search! Delete please Gods of the forum

I think you might have missed it as you posted this in 'Unleashed', which is just the Bulldogs stuff. Stuff about the AFL in general, or other clubs is in the 'AFL Talk' forum.

Ghost Dog
10-01-2011, 05:07 PM
I think you might have missed it as you posted this in 'Unleashed', which is just the Bulldogs stuff. Stuff about the AFL in general, or other clubs is in the 'AFL Talk' forum.

Got it. sorrrrrryyy TCD

AndrewP6
10-01-2011, 06:15 PM
1 is OK for NAB Cup, but leave it out after that.
2 is good. Make use of the technology available.
3 is good. Give boundary umps more involvement.
4. Don't like it, just ball up.
5. See how it goes during NAB Cup.

BulldogBelle
10-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Agree with all above opinions except that a free kick should be awarded against a player who pulls the ball in under an opponent.

I think that it should be OK to hold the ball in under an opponent, to make sure that you get the free kick against an illegal action. But, it should be illegal and a free kick should be awarded against a player who deliberately pulls the ball in under an opponent, and tries to hold it there.

BulldogBelle
10-01-2011, 08:18 PM
#5 is excellent - would like it to be like soccer with a penalty against last to touch the ball. If doubtful, it can be thrown in - deliberate out of bounds atm is a joke as most often it is deliberate but not penalised

mjp
11-01-2011, 01:23 AM
1. Don't care.
2. I don't like it - they should either have replay or not - Don't go half way.
3. They can pay free kicks or they can't. Limiting it to holding and high contact at stoppages is STUPID.
4. Stupid. Another decision open to interpretation...this will cause even more confusion.
5. Stupid idea. We have a differentiator in our game - out of bounds = CONTEST. Now we are giving this away for more zoning and defensive flooding? Awesome idea.

LostDoggy
11-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I like the look of all trial rules with the exception of number 4.

This is going to create more incorrect decision than correct IMHO.

So you tackle someone legally who hasn't had prior opportunity to dispose of the ball, however in the process you are pinning their arms to them with the ball under them.

Whats the decision?

Do you have to let them go and give them an opportunity to dispose of the ball?
To you continue to hold them in the tackle and try to roll them over to release the ball so you don't get pinged?
Or do you hold your tackle and hope the umpire allows common sense to prevail and ball it up?

Cyberdoggie
11-01-2011, 11:41 AM
I understand the need for trialling new umpiring interpretations,
but playing around with the game we love i think just makes a mockery of it.

They are degrading the game.

What's the point of 9 point supergoals, and getting rid of boundary throw in's.

The inclusion of these bits of crap just shows that the whole thing is a joke.

Why don't they just take it a bit further and make some new rules like:

* Players can only bounce left handed and have to spin around 360 in between each bounce.

* Play offside rule like in soccer.

soupman
11-01-2011, 01:34 PM
* Players can only bounce left handed and have to spin around 360 in between each bounce.

That is genius. I'm telling Adrian Anderson.

Ghost Dog
11-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I remember an interview with Alex Jesaulenko - saying he doesn't even watch or like AFL anymore as it's essential a simple game now made very overcomplicated.
In 2010, at times started to get the same feeling.

Mantis
11-01-2011, 02:04 PM
I remember an interview with Alex Jesaulenko - saying he doesn't even watch or like AFL anymore as it's essential a simple game now made very overcomplicated.
In 2010, at times started to get the same feeling.

The game has gone from very much an amateur sport where blokes trained for a couple of hours a week to a very professional sport where players train almost every day and each club employs up to 20 staff dedicated to it's footy department alone.

Get with the program Alex.

Ghost Dog
11-01-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't see what that has to do with rule changes. Two different subjects. Soccer is professional, dwarfs AFL and they don't tinker with the rules nearly as much.
You have to admit, It is getting very complicated in terms of rules if they implement some of these changes in the regular season. The boundry one is simple, and allows players to take a breather, setting up for the throw. can just see the ' who touched it last ' opening up the kind of player -> upmire debate on field which is the main thing that turns me off soccer.

LostDoggy
11-01-2011, 02:12 PM
I understand the need for trialling new umpiring interpretations,
but playing around with the game we love i think just makes a mockery of it.

They are degrading the game.

What's the point of 9 point supergoals, and getting rid of boundary throw in's.

The inclusion of these bits of crap just shows that the whole thing is a joke.

Play offside rule like in soccer.

I agree with your sentiments in the home and away, however the inclusion of the super goal in the NAB makes for an added point of interest(marketability) in an otherwise meaningless comp

The Bulldogs Bite
11-01-2011, 02:35 PM
1. Don't care.
2. I don't like it - they should either have replay or not - Don't go half way.
3. They can pay free kicks or they can't. Limiting it to holding and high contact at stoppages is STUPID.
4. Stupid. Another decision open to interpretation...this will cause even more confusion.
5. Stupid idea. We have a differentiator in our game - out of bounds = CONTEST. Now we are giving this away for more zoning and defensive flooding? Awesome idea.

This.

I hate the direction AFL football is taking.

Sockeye Salmon
11-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Giving a free kick for out of bounds will simply result in more flooding. I can see most frees for OOB between the arcs will result in a kick backwards trying to switch back and forth trying to open up the F50.

Mofra
11-01-2011, 02:53 PM
I agree with your sentiments in the home and away, however the inclusion of the super goal in the NAB makes for an added point of interest(marketability) in an otherwise meaningless comp
Under the old format, yes it did.

The new format is so far removed from H&A football that it really reducing interest in it.

The Coon Dog
11-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Does anyone know, if you lose in the NAB Cup & are on the practice match circuit, what rules apply? Trial NAB Cup ones or the season proper ones?

Mantis
11-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Does anyone know, if you lose in the NAB Cup & are on the practice match circuit, what rules apply? Trial NAB Cup ones or the season proper ones?

Season proper rules take effect as soon as your out.

The Coon Dog
11-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Season proper rules take effect as soon as your out.

Thanks Mantis. I'm happy about that & happy to bail out as soon as.

Desipura
11-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks Mantis. I'm happy about that & happy to bail out as soon as.
I think we all have a different outlook this preseason compared to last. I am not fussed if we bail out early although I would like a bit each way.
We win with a number of youngsters playing well and the more seasoned players rested. Not asking much am I?

mjp
12-01-2011, 01:14 AM
I think we all have a different outlook this preseason compared to last. I am not fussed if we bail out early although I would like a bit each way.
We win with a number of youngsters playing well and the more seasoned players rested. Not asking much am I?

Stay in and play at good venues...get knocked out and go to the bush and deal with travel chaos which will further impede on training plans.

Need to take the Jack Brabham approach - win whilst going as slowly as possible.

LostDoggy
05-02-2011, 04:04 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/nabcup/fixture/tabid/15297/default.aspx

Can someone explain how week 2 is going to work?

6 Pools...18 teams.

Week 2 apparently has 4 games. If its the standard 1 v 1 format how do you fit 6 pool winners into 4 games? What if the teams in the pool have one win each? Most-Supergoals rule?

Sockeye Salmon
05-02-2011, 04:07 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/nabcup/fixture/tabid/15297/default.aspx

Can someone explain how week 2 is going to work?

6 Pools...18 teams.

Week 2 apparently has 4 games. If its the standard 1 v 1 format how do you fit 6 pool winners into 4 games? What if the teams in the pool have one win each? Most-Supergoals rule?

Pretty sure the two 'best' losers go through. Wins then %.

That's why GC & GWS are in the same group, it almost guarantees GC will get one of the best loser spots.

LostDoggy
05-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Ridiculous idea. I love the pool in round 1, it just seems hell-messy in round 2.