PDA

View Full Version : Fevola tailor-made for Bulldogs

southerncross
29-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Fevola tailor-made for Bulldogs (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22150860%255E19742,00.html)
29 July 2007 Sunday Herald Sun
Jon Ralph
THE question for the Western Bulldogs before Friday's clash with West Coast was whether they needed Carlton's enfant terrible Brendan Fevola.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,5587265,00.jpg
Fits well with Bulldogs: Jon Ralph writes why Brendan Fevola would be a good fit with the Western Bulldogs.
In the space of four revealing quarters, the question changed to the combination of players and picks they should sacrifice to acquire him.
In Friday's belting at the hands of the Eagles, the penny would have dropped that despite the continuing magnificence of Brad Johnson, the forward structure is not working. Or, more to the point, does not have a chance against sides with superior onball units that can sufficiently pressure the Bulldog ball-carriers.
When Johnson pushed into the midfield late in the second quarter, the Bulldogs had a forward line of Stephen Tiller, Nathan Eagleton and Daniel Giansiracusa - hardly premiership material.
Coach Rodney Eade admitted as much when asked about Fevola in his post-match press conference.
The Dogs desperately need a release valve when their midfield is being dominated, someone they can kick long to when the 40m laces-out pass is not possible.
That man is Fevola, and if the Dogs are aware he is far from the perfect package, that is the risk they will have to take.
Fevola is emotionally immature and inconsistent but, above all else, is a goalkicker.
The Dogs gave up only pick 34 for Jason Akermanis, so can justify to their fans giving up a high draft pick this year, especially in a mediocre draft.
What would they need to give up for Fevola?
They are likely to have a first-round draft pick in the 8-10 region, but you figure they may have to sweeten the deal with one of the midfielders Carlton so desperately needs.
Some may say Fevola is the only player the Blues cannot afford to lose, but the new coach needs to build a young, cohesive list that matures together.
Fevola is 27 in January, and by the time the Blues are ready to surge again, is likely to be far away from professional football.
A trade for the goalkicker could potentially see the Blues with picks 1, 3, 8, 18, a midfielder along the Sam Power/Farren Ray/Mitch Hahn lines and another chance to lure a key uncontracted player.
Both the Bulldogs and Carlton are in transition. A brave move at the trade table may be the making of both of them.
THE only man who wants Kevin Sheedy to coach next year as much as the man himself is Terry Wallace.
Richmond's Wallace is secure to coach next year, and so he should be.
But Sheedy today confirms in the Sunday Herald Sun that if he can't get a gig next year, it won't discourage him from applying again next year.
That would see Wallace coaching next year with the spectre of a Sheedy return hanging over him like a guillotine.
Far from an ideal scenario, but a very real possibility.

southerncross
29-07-2007, 08:22 AM
I must admit I haven't warmed to the prospect of adding Fevola to our team. He is a terrific forward but he just doesn't seem to be settled enough off the field to make this sure win for us.

A first round draft selection and a player seems to be about the right price to pay.

Go_Dogs
29-07-2007, 10:55 AM
If we could potentially trade say, Sam Power + First Round pick for Fev, it would be one worth looking into. For all his off-field issues etc, I think he could easily be turned around. He's a proven performer, and with a better team could excel. I hope we chase him with a big of vigor, but I wouldn't want to give up too much.

Interestingly enough, if Carlton do off-load Fev and can secure a 3rd top 10 pick, do they then try and perhaps trade for Judd?

What about Kosi too? Would anyone be interested in us chasing him?

Topdog
29-07-2007, 10:58 AM
Ray and a first rounder and I think we would be getting away with daylight robbery.

Ray is a great talent but I'm starting to question if he has a football brain.

LostDoggy
29-07-2007, 12:30 PM
lol Topdog love the ray comment

If it was to happen, this could see a forward line like;
Johnson - Fevola - Akermanis

now...that looks better than Tiller - Eagleton - Gian

he would need to clean up his attitude though...before even I would accept him as a dog. It would be quite interesting though - we are looking for that dominating full forward (that doesnt have to push back when the defenders struggle).

bornadog
29-07-2007, 12:37 PM
What about Kosi too? Would anyone be interested in us chasing him?

Kosi just resigned for three years

kal-el
29-07-2007, 07:43 PM
I think fev is a must for the club to try and get,we have not had a great tall full forward for quit some time now,so if the club is for real about a flag in the next few years fev is the answer.

GVGjr
29-07-2007, 07:52 PM
I think fev is a must for the club to try and get,we have not had a great tall full forward for quit some time now,so if the club is for real about a flag in the next few years fev is the answer.

Welcome kal-el. I agree that a good key forward would be invaluable for us but is Fev the right person??? He seems to have too many distractions off the field to become focused on kicking a 100 goals a season. He has the ability to either ignite the team or drag it down.

Bulldog Revolution
29-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Welcome kal-el. I agree that a good key forward would be invaluable for us but is Fev the right person??? He seems to have too many distractions off the field to become focused on kicking a 100 goals a season. He has the ability to either ignite the team or drag it down.

I am just not convinced they will trade him, and if they did I think the price would be very high - more like Higgins and a first round pick - I cannot believe they would accept Power and a pick.

As a player I have real concerns that he's never been in a successful or winning team, and I just not convinced he is the kind of guy that will ever be. That might be considered a harsh comment by some, but I just think some guys are not really cut our for winning teams: Everitt?, and thrive in losing environments but dont ever provide the leadership to propel a side out of it.

Sockeye Salmon
30-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Jake Niall said on the weekend that he didn't think Carlton would get any more than a mid-late first rounder and a junk player.

Bulldog Revolution
30-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Jake Niall said on the weekend that he didn't think Carlton would get any more than a mid-late first rounder and a junk player.

And if that proved to be the case, then why would they bother trading him

I think whoever takes over as coach will be wanting to have a crack at coaching him because he clearly is a talent

LostDoggy
30-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Well we got the deal of the century with Aker, even if he hasnt been a star..hes still kicked 20 odd goals or something...and is much better than whatever pick we gave away

So Sammy Power & 2nd round pick isnt out of the question lol

Bulldog Revolution
31-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Well we got the deal of the century with Aker, even if he hasnt been a star..hes still kicked 20 odd goals or something...and is much better than whatever pick we gave away

So Sammy Power & 2nd round pick isnt out of the question lol

I think a 30 year old half forward flanker has less currency in the market than a 26 year old full forward

I personally wouldn't trade Fevola for Power and roughly the 25th pick in the draft so I cant imagine any new coach of carlton doing it

4GIVME
23-08-2007, 09:59 PM
i would seriously love to see fev in a doggies jumper. people can complain about all his off field incidents but the guy still continues to kick goals and keep carlton from being constantly blown away.