PDA

View Full Version : Werribee

GVGjr
29-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Ventured to Batercard Oval today and got there early to watch both games.

For the reserves there was a few Bulldog listed players

Tim Walsh was back from injury and mainly played in the back half after quarter time. Kicked one or two goals. He spent a bit of time off the ground as they worked on his legs because he was getting some cramps and some general tightness. He has a couple of weeks to try and prove that he is worth maintaining on the list.

Paul O'Shea also played as a defender but funnily enough he also did some ruck work and was quite impressive. His skill level is not great but his spirit and endeavour was first rate.

Brennan Stack played forward, back and in the midfield. At times he was just too classy and made the impossible look easy and then he also made some fundamental errors. The defensive side of his game needs a lot of work but if that can get fixed he could be an exciting prospect for us.

One player that really stood out is Jak Kennedy-Hunt. He has heaps of ability but is one of those players that would be seen as too small for a KP and not quite quick enough for a flank. He's 187cm and and about 77kg. If he is serious about becoming a senior footballer he could do worse than to hire a personal trainer to really focus on improving his pace off the mark. He can be a bit of a goal hog as well but I don't mind that. He isn't 19 yet.

For the senior team

Damien McCormack played mainly in the back half and used the ball fairly well. He isn't quick and will never be a star but his performance today was more than OK.

Matthew Robbins - Hit a bit of a purple patch in the 3rd quarter and kicked a couple of goals. He mainly played forward but was at one stage manning up of a lot taller opponent in the back line. Not a great game but some good signs.

Andrew McDougall played in defence for the 2nd week. I talked to one of the trainers that went to the game in Bendigo and they were very pleased with his effort last week by shutting down Keppler Bradley. The would be very pleased with his efforts again this week. Doogs started on Digby Morrell and he started a bit slow. Morrell got a laces out pass at one stage and I thought Doogs just wasn't reading the play that well. From that point onwards Doogs got better and better. He ran, linked up, spoiled and tackled very strongly in a very encouraging display. His 2nd quarter was fantastic and while he was a bit quiet in the 3rd he had another good quarter in the last. I was also impressed with his comments to the defensive coach at the quarter and 3rd quarter time huddles about what his opponents were trying to do.
Doogs now shapes as a genuine option for a senior call up.

Travis Baird was mainly played in the forward line and presented well. Took a couple of strong grabs and used the ball well. He did enough without being a great player on the day.

Marty Pask played in the back half and performed strongly when it counted. Was probably starved of opportunities but did his job.

Gavin Hughes played on a wind and in his typical manner he was good when he had the ball but not hard enough at it when his opponents did.

Cameron Faulkner - played everywhere and was solid throughout each quarter. His kicking was very good as was his pace and attack on the ball. The defensive side of his game was solid as well. Not sure if he is a candidate for a senior call up but his form is good enough.

Malcolm Lynch played as a forward and was fairly quiet. He just couldn't get the run of the ball and fumbled a few times.

Peter Street started well and was marking everything in sight. He even went for a bit of a gallop. Copped a heavy knock to the back but battled on throughout the day. Not a bad effort by Street.

Pods played but was just OK. Barham was once again very good. Ben Lavers had the ball on a string in the 2nd half.

Go_Dogs
29-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the detailed report GVGjr. I wouldn't mind seeing McDougall played as a defender in the 1's this week, potentially allowing for someone else to move forward as well. By the sounds of it his intensity and attitude are progressing along well, very pleasing.

Baird also seems to have stepped up a gear in the last few weeks.

Could McCormack get a call up sooner rather than later do you think?

GVGjr
29-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the detailed report GVGjr. I wouldn't mind seeing McDougall played as a defender in the 1's this week, potentially allowing for someone else to move forward as well. By the sounds of it his intensity and attitude are progressing along well, very pleasing.

Baird also seems to have stepped up a gear in the last few weeks.

Could McCormack get a call up sooner rather than later do you think?

Wasn't Twodogs calling for the McDougall to the back line experiment a couple of weeks ago?
Perhaps we need to get Twodogs involved in the match committee ;)

Not sure if I would look at promoting McCormack. At the moment I don't think he could be a regular senior footballer.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Ventured to Batercard Oval today and got there early to watch both games.

For the reserves there was a few Bulldog listed players

Tim Walsh was back from injury and mainly played in the back half after quarter time. Kicked one or two goals. He spent a bit of time off the ground as they worked on his legs because he was getting some cramps and some general tightness. he has a couple of weeks to try and prove that he is worth maintaining on the list.

Paul O'Shea also plated as a defender but funnily enough he also did some ruck work and was quite impressive. His skill level is not great but his spirit and endeavour was first rate.

Brennan Stack played forward, back and in the midfield. At times he was just too classy and made the impossible look easy and then he also made some fundamental errors. The defensive side of his game needs a lot of work but if that can get fixed he could be an exciting prospect for us.

One player that really stood out is Jak Kennedy-Hunt. He has heaps of ability but is one of those players that would be seen as too small for a KP and not quite quick enough for a flank. He's 187cm and and about 77kg. If he is serious about becoming a senior footballer he could do worse that hire a personal trainer to really focus on improving his pace off the mark. He can be a bit of a goal hog as well but I don't mind that. He isn't 19 yet.

For the senior team

Damien McCormack played mainly in the back half and used the ball fairly well. He isn't quick and will never be a start but his performance today was more than OK.

Matthew Robbins - Hit a bit of a purple patch in the 3rd quarter and kicked a couple of goals. He mainly played forward but was at one stage manning up of a lot taller opponent in the back line. Not a great game but some good signs.

Andrew McDougall played in defence for the 2nd week. I talked to one of the trainers that went to the game in Bendigo and they were very pleased with his effort last week by shutting down Keppler Bradley. The would be very pleased with his efforts again this week. Doogs started on Digby Morrell and he started a bit slow. Morrell got a laces out pass at one stage and I though Doogs just wasn't reading the play that well. From that point onwards Doogs got better and better. He ran, linked up, spoiled and tackled very strongly in a very encouraging display. His 2nd quarter was fantastic and while he was a bit quiet in the 3rd he had another good quarter in the last. I was also impressed with his comments to the defensive coach at the quarter and 3rd quarter time huddles about what his opponents were trying to do.
Doogs now shapes as a genuine option for a senior call up.

Travis Baird was mainly played in the forward line and presented well. Took a couple of strong grabs and used the ball well. He did enough without being a great player on the day.

Marty Pask played in the back half and performed strongly when it counted. Was probably starved of opportunities but did his job.

Gavin Hughes played on a wind and in his typical manner he was good when he had the ball but not hard enough at it when his opponents did.

Cameron Faulkner - played everywhere and was solid throughout each quarter. His kicking was very good as was his pace and attack on the ball. The defensive side of his game was solid as well. Not sure if he is a candidate for a senior call up but his form is good enough.

Malcolm Lynch played as a forward and was fairly quiet. He just couldn't get the run of the ball and fumbled a few times.

Peter Street started well and was marking everything in sight. He even went for a bit of a gallop. Copped a heavy knock to the back but battled on throughout the day. Not a bad effort by Street.

Pods played but was just OK. Barham was once again very good. Ben Lavers had the ball on a string in the 2nd half.

Nice report GVGJnr.. good to read OShea is showing some signs for the future.
Even better to read that McDougall put in such a good showing. Surely must be getting close to a call up based on this and other recent performances

GVGjr
29-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Nice report GVGJnr.. good to read OShea is showing some signs for the future.
Even better to read that McDougall put in such a good showing. Surely must be getting close to a call up based on this and other recent performances

It was an easy report to write YHF especially after Friday nights game I was looking for something positive from the players.

One of the trainers I was talking to thought that O'Shea reminded him a bit of Brian Harris when he first arrived at Werribee. Thats very high praise considering how young and in a footy sense how green O'Shea is. I'm not sure I agree with that comparison but if he's 80% as good as Brian he could be a regular player for us in a couple of seasons.

BulldogBelle
29-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the report GVG, detailed and a great read as always. :)

LostDoggy
29-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Yes, thanks GVGjr for the report. I will pass on your comments re McDougall to my father. An upside of Friday night games is the opportunity for Melbourne based Dogs supporters to watch the 2nds play. Pity I can't get my brain into gear and remember to go myself! Where are the Bee's playing next weekend?

GVGjr
29-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Yes, thanks GVGjr for the report. I will pass on your comments re McDougall to my father. An upside of Friday night games is the opportunity for Melbourne based Dogs supporters to watch the 2nds play. Pity I can't get my brain into gear and remember to go myself! Where are the Bee's playing next weekend?

Playing at Frankston Oval on Sunday. Frankston were beaten today and a win against them would put the Bees back in the finals picture.

LostDoggy
29-07-2007, 09:23 PM

Is there a match up for Doogs on our backline v Saints?
I see McDoogual getting a game but I don't know if there is a position for him on the backline.
With Harris, Williams, Morris, Hargrave and possibly Grant, Wight or both.
Maybe Morris will take a on baller because the problems at the moment are in the midfield.

Go_Dogs
29-07-2007, 09:29 PM
If Grant plays, he'll play forward(Grant). Perhaps it's time to give one of Williams/Harris/Hargrave an extended run in the forward line also.

McDougall's form up forward hasn't been as promising, no point bringing him in and crushing his confidence straight away.

Morris through the midfield is another option I wouldn't mind seeing. I'm prepared for us to experiment a bit over the next few weeks, not in a big way, but a little.

southerncross
29-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Is there a match up for Doogs on our backline v Saints?
I see McDoogual getting a game but I don't know if there is a position for him on the backline.
With Harris, Williams, Morris, Hargrave and possibly Grant, Wight or both.
Maybe Morris will take a on baller because the problems at the moment are in the midfield.

McDougall vs Kosi if he plays forward might be worth a try. Grant to play forward

LostDoggy
29-07-2007, 09:54 PM
McDougall vs Kosi if he plays forward might be worth a try. Grant to play forward

Harris v Gehrig
Williams v ? Riewoldt
Hargrave v ?

Go_Dogs
29-07-2007, 09:56 PM
We should flip it back on them, play Hargrave and Grant forward, stretch their tiny, weak backline. :)

LostDoggy
29-07-2007, 09:57 PM
We should flip it back on them, play Hargrave and Grant forward, stretch their tiny, weak backline. :)

I think pace is the key. Hargrave might pose a problem for them

LostDoggy
29-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Harris v Gehrig
Williams v ? Riewoldt
Hargrave v ?

Move Shaggy forward?

LostDoggy
29-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Doesn't matter who we matchup on the backline or if push backman forward, if our midfield continues to lose 50/50 contests we get beaten again.
I'm not sure why Johnson wasn't moved onto the ball this week more often, its pointless having him up front if it never gets there.

LostDoggy
29-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Harris v Gehrig
Williams v ? Riewoldt
Hargrave v ?
Will Williams be able to keep Riewoldt quiet? I hope someone does. One of my pet hates is how Riewoldt plays so well against US. I know I'm going against popular opinion, but I find the hype around Riewoldt overrated. Yes he takes the occasional eye catching mark but what else does he do to warrant a $1m salary/advertising deal and all the media accolades? However, we somehow make him look good.

I think of late St Kilda strut into these games thinking we are easy beats (rightly or wrongly). I really, really want to see our team have a red hot go on Friday - to beat them would be fantastic. Geez I hope Grant plays.

Sockeye Salmon
29-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Will Williams be able to keep Riewoldt quiet? I hope someone does. One of my pet hates is how Riewoldt plays so well against US. I know I'm going against popular opinion, but I find the hype around Riewoldt overrated. Yes he takes the occasional eye catching mark but what else does he do to warrant a $1m salary/advertising deal and all the media accolades? However, we somehow make him look good.

I think of late St Kilda strut into these games thinking we are easy beats (rightly or wrongly). I really, really want to see our team have a red hot go on Friday - to beat them would be fantastic. Geez I hope Grant plays.

Cos he works his bum off and presents over and over again. That's how he takes at least a dozen marks a game.

BulldogBelle
29-07-2007, 10:31 PM

We really need to lift this week and hopefully Grant and West will be right to resume back in the side, no doubt St Kilda will be confident of a win...and I still remember back a few seasons ago how they didn't rate us and started Lenny Hayes on the bench, we came out took offense to that and beat them. Let's hope St Kilda go into this game with some arrogance and we can somehow knock their halo's of their heads.

LostDoggy
29-07-2007, 11:41 PM
So i guess Streety will get the recall?

West,Grant,Street,McDougall INS
Skipper, Power, ???, ??? Outs

Dry Rot
30-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Skipper at least had a crack - would they drop him after that?

If McDougall gets the nod and plays down back, then one or two of Hargrave and/or Williams and/or Everitt could go forward.

Go_Dogs
30-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Skipper would be very unlucky to miss I think.

Sockeye Salmon
30-07-2007, 10:40 AM
In: Grant, West, McDougall, Faulkner
Out: Hill, Tiller, Power, Wight.

Match-ups:
Harris - Gehrig
McDougall - Kossie
Williams - Riewoldt (I'm shaking as I type it)
McMahon - Milne
Ray - Montagna
Hargrave - S. Fisher
Boyd - Harvey

Go_Dogs
30-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Who would you play Morris on?

I think Williams will be a good match up for Riewoldt, but perhaps not for another year. Good chance for the guy to go and have a crack against one of the hardest working forwards though. I agree with the majority you've got there, look pretty good for mine.

Dry Rot
30-07-2007, 12:00 PM
IIRC a WCE fan claimed that McDougall did well on Reiewoldt in one game, FWIW.

whythelongface
30-07-2007, 02:38 PM

I think Williams will be a good match up for Riewoldt, but perhaps not for another year. Good chance for the guy to go and have a crack against one of the hardest working forwards though. I agree with the majority you've got there, look pretty good for mine.

At this stage of proceedings and with our season on the line I would prefer Morris to play on Riewoldt. Not to sure who Williams would match up with this weekend. He may start on the bench with McDougall playing across HB.

DOG GOD
30-07-2007, 02:54 PM
In: Grant, West, McDougall, Faulkner
Out: Hill, Tiller, Power, Wight.

Match-ups:
Harris - Gehrig
McDougall - Kossie
Williams - Riewoldt (I'm shaking as I type it)
McMahon - Milne
Ray - Montagna
Hargrave - S. Fisher
Boyd - Harvey

gee i personally wouldnt play jordy on milne...he's too loose. Morris for mine. I like the idea of hargrave playing a fwd tagging role on s.fisher.

surely everitt can play hargraves role down back.

Sockeye Salmon
30-07-2007, 05:43 PM

Whoops! I left that one out - Morris to Del Santo.

Milne will get his 5 possesions and 2 goals, Jordy has to hurt him going the other way.

Harbrow and Williams were ordinary on Friday and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them (or both?) get dropped but I'd rather they stay in.

southerncross
30-07-2007, 07:30 PM
gee i personally wouldnt play jordy on milne...he's too loose. Morris for mine. I like the idea of hargrave playing a fwd tagging role on s.fisher.

surely everitt can play hargraves role down back.

It's not a bad idea to put someone like Jordy on Milne but Jordy's form is very bad at the moment and I think he will come under review. He will probably play though because of the depleted list.