PDA

View Full Version : Captain to be announced at training on Friday

The Coon Dog
18-01-2011, 05:36 PM
The waiting's almost over!

Fans will know on Friday morning at 10am who the new captain is when he leads the team out at training.

cinder
18-01-2011, 05:39 PM

Fans will know on Friday morning at 10am who the new captain is when he leads the team out at training.*

Good, as the suspense is killing me!

AndrewP6
18-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Facebook fans will no longer need to endlessly ask "When's the captain announced"! ;)

azabob
18-01-2011, 07:42 PM

Fans will know on Friday morning at 10am who the new captain is when he leads the team out at training.

Really? Too funny, John Ralph ended his puff piece with still several weeks to go before captain is announced.

Ghost Dog
18-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Whoever it is takes the helm at a very good time for the club.
They didn't drag it out for long did they? ^_^

AndrewP6
18-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Really? Too funny, John Ralph ended his puff piece with still several weeks to go before captain is announced.

That's been the public word on the issue...

azabob
18-01-2011, 08:33 PM
That's been the public word on the issue...

"Ralphy" classes himself as a jurno who gets the scoop and who is in the know. Quite funny if you ask me.

Swoop
18-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Could the announcement have been built up/promoted any better? It potentially could be used as a marketing tool to attract a bit more exposure or members, no doubt all the media will be covering the story but leading the side out of training on a Friday morning seems a little low key.

The Coon Dog
18-01-2011, 11:06 PM
leading the side out of training on a Friday morning seems a little low key.

From memory I reckon Essendon did that last season.

LostDoggy
19-01-2011, 01:15 AM
From memory I reckon Essendon did that last season.

They did, but it was like the first day of training or something like that...

Desipura
19-01-2011, 08:42 AM
I am on leave so should be able to attend training.

LostDoggy
19-01-2011, 08:55 AM
I am on leave so should be able to attend training.

I am not on leave , but i will attend anyway ;)

LostDoggy
19-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Darn, work on Friday so no way can I get down there! Look forward with excited anticipation as to who is going to lead our fabulous boys into the big dance in September!:o (No harm in having a positive attitude, is there?)

Mantis
19-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Could the announcement have been built up/promoted any better? It potentially could be used as a marketing tool to attract a bit more exposure or members, no doubt all the media will be covering the story but leading the side out of training on a Friday morning seems a little low key.

Agree.

Perhaps they could have held off the announcement until the East-West training day when a much larger contingent of supporters/ members will be in attendence, but perhaps the media exposure won't be as big on a Saturday.

Cyberdoggie
19-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Perhaps as it may be a surprise to the players as well it might be better to deal with it in house first rather than shocking everyone at a meet and greet day where the players will be expected to associate with the public straight afterwards.

I know if i missed out on it and i expected to get the job then i wouldnt' really want to be putting on fake smiles and kissing babies straight afterwards.

LostDoggy
19-01-2011, 04:43 PM
The players will be advised in advance by their coach. I am sure our members will be very pleased with the choice of captain.

comrade
19-01-2011, 04:51 PM
The players will be advised in advance by their coach. I am sure our members will be very pleased with the choice of captain.

Will we be buoyed by the decision?

Ghost Dog
19-01-2011, 05:11 PM
May be better to keep it low key IMO. Keep a lid on it. A lot of expectations on this group, and captain.

AndrewP6
19-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I'm not really fussed about the when/where of the announcement. IMO, it would put undue pressure on player and club to build it up and go overboard. Low key for me.

Maddog37
20-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Nice work Dadruid. Go the Dogs.

Desipura
20-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Boyd is the safe bet as captain, is the right age and has been a consistent player for a number of years. He is not without faults, but who has not got faults out of all the contenders?

Curly5
20-01-2011, 02:40 PM

I'm sticking with my Boyd (c), Cross (vc), Gia, Murph, Coons (dvc) prediction. :)

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm sticking with my Boyd (c), Cross (vc), Gia, Murph, Coons (dvc) prediction. :)

Agree. Although If I could choose out of the lot, it would be Bobby. Not a fan of the Deputy Vice Captain thing..just keep it as a leadership group, very rare if Cross & Boyd were both out of a game at the same time. knock on wood. ;)

GVGjr
20-01-2011, 06:27 PM
We are fortunate to have a number of good candidates although I'm not sure if we have an outstanding one right at this moment.

Based at what I have seen at functions and at training sessions etc I'm still surprised that Morris isn't right in the mix of candidates but I have no doubt Boyd, Cross and Giansiracusa can do the job very well. Murphy is one of the more natural leaders but I'm not sure if he wants it that much.
Cooney is the wild card but as I have mentioned a number of times, based on what I have seen, I think he needs to demonstrate his leaderships skills for a longer period than he has.

Kevin Bartlett (who normally gets things like this right) thinks Cooney will be given the job.

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Whoever it is, the club and supporters need to get behind the decision and the captain.

Pedro Sanchez
20-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Gotta be Murphy or Cooney - the only guys from that shortlist with personality... For me, the others are just to robotic...

lemmon
20-01-2011, 07:36 PM
I like Cooney for the role, probably high risk and one out of the box but I think the rewards are there. He will have the respect of his peers in a football sense, a valuable media profile and is the sort of character to really energise and unify a group

The Pie Man
20-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Was on SEN an hour ago debating this very topic (I always feel a bit silly after being on the radio :o)

Finey was adamant that a smallish forward (namely Gia) can't captain an AFL team...what was Johnson?

And if you're thinking 'well he was a midfielder who went forward later in his career' then you're on Finey's page.

Wasn't advocating Gia, just arguing his point.

Boyd is a safe bet...do we want to play safe anymore?

GVGjr
20-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Boyd is a safe bet...do we want to play safe anymore?

What is the flaw in playing safe with filling an important position? What is the upside of being bold and brave?
I don't think you pick a captain based on perceived potential especially when we have a number of candidates that have demonstrated all the right vales and ethics over a number of years.

The Pie Man
20-01-2011, 10:48 PM
What is the flaw in playing safe with filling an important position? What is the upside of being bold and brave?
I don't think you pick a captain based on perceived potential especially when we have a number of candidates that have demonstrated all the right vales and ethics over a number of years.

Massive pros & cons in both approaches - bold & brave could equal high risk, high return

Can the solid statesman inspire the troops, pick them up when they've made a blue, and get the supporter base excited?

Will the wildcard tow the party line, not breach social media expectations and ensure corporate support is never compromised?

(Some of these questions I don't really mean - more devils advocate work)

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 10:50 PM

To send a message , that it aint going to be more of the same old same old Bulldogs.
That a 4th prelim in a row is not good enough.
We need a changing of the guard but i doubt it will happen.
Its symbolic, but i reckon it makes a difference.

GVGjr
20-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Massive pros & cons in both approaches - bold & brave could equal high risk, high return

This is the part I can't work out because I can't see what the reward would actually be.

GVGjr
20-01-2011, 11:00 PM
To send a message , that it aint going to be more of the same old same old Bulldogs.

No appointment of a captain can change the reality of past performances.
I don't think changing the president or the coach makes the type of statement that you are after so I'm certain a left of field captain won't either.

The Pie Man
20-01-2011, 11:01 PM
This is the part I can't work out because I can't see what the reward would actually be.

If there's any value in captaincy remaining, I see one of the key components is team lifting.

Cooney's far more likely to kick that team lifting goal, or morale boosting run through the middle - and far less likely to berate a teammate that's made a blue.

Not that I'm saying Boyd couldn't do these things either, and ticks other boxes a lot better than Coons does - but that's where I see Cooney having an edge

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Any idea what time it will actually be announced, and how?

GVGjr
20-01-2011, 11:08 PM
If there's any value in captaincy remaining, I see one of the key components is team lifting.

Cooney's far more likely to kick that team lifting goal, or morale boosting run through the middle - and far less likely to berate a teammate that's made a blue.

Not that I'm saying Boyd couldn't do these things either, and ticks other boxes a lot better than Coons does - but that's where I see Cooney having an edge

He just hasn't demonstrated the appropriate skills and applied the type of concentration to the important off field roles from what I have seen.
Terrific player but I think there is more to the role than just being a great player.
I just think he is 12 months away from being a genuine candidate.

GVGjr
20-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Any idea what time it will actually be announced, and how?

9am at training tomorrow. There will no doubt be a good media attendance. Well done for the club for the way that have built up the expectation of this.

The Pie Man
20-01-2011, 11:16 PM
He just hasn't demonstrated the appropriate skills and applied the type of concentration to the important off field roles from what I have seen.
Terrific player but I think there is more to the role than just being a great player.I just think he is 12 months away from being a genuine candidate.

I do agree with that - will be interesting to see which way they go

If Cooney scores it, will be even more interesting to see how he handles it - don"t think they even need to ask themselves that question about Boyd, which is why I think he'll get it

GVGjr
20-01-2011, 11:20 PM
I do agree with that - will be interesting to see which way they go

If Cooney scores it, will be even more interesting to see how he handles it - don"t think they even need to ask themselves that question about Boyd, which is why I think he'll get it

I think there is a chance that Cooney might actually find the responsibilities of being a captain a drag for him and you would have to hope it wouldn't have an impact on his on field performances.

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Like all of us should I will be behind and supporting the new captain totally and will only be willing to highlight merits and not deficencies.

Like all of us I do have my favourite and favoured who I would love to see as captain.

My personal favourite is Murphy. Natural leader who is media savvy. Marvellous public speaker and as Doggy as they get.

My favoured are; Morris, whose name has hardly been mentioned enough considering his respect around the club, Boyd, it would be fair in feeling confident going in to tomorrow,and Cross, leadership by example in regards to effort, determination and guts.

Honorary mention went to "The People's Beard" but the fuzzy follicles were ruled ineligible due to some possible confusion with Ben Hudson himself.

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 11:24 PM

Frank I rarely disagree with you.... but i think you are way off here....yes the past results have broken our hearts, but they have failed to break our spirits...the captain of the club will never dictate the future direction or success of the club and the sooner our supporters accept that fact the better for all concerned, most clubs would kill for three prelims in a row... however now that we have been there and done that , lets move on and play in the "Big Dance" on that last Saturday in September, or as it will soon be known as that first Saturday in October!!

Mantis
20-01-2011, 11:25 PM
I think there is a chance that Cooney might actually find the responsibilities of being a captain a drag for him and you would have to hope it wouldn't have an impact on his on field performances.

Couldn't there be a risk of this happening with all of the candidates?

GVGjr
20-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Couldn't there be a risk of this happening with all of the candidates?

Certainly a consideration but I think the more free spirited guys like Cooney and Murphy would find it more of a drag than guys like Gia, Cross and Boyd. From what I have seen both Gia and Boyd have been putting their hand up for additional responsibilities for a couple of years now.

Dry Rot
21-01-2011, 12:07 AM

+1 for me. I'd like to see us with a potentially inspirational captain, even if he's high risk.

Could elevate Cooney to another level.

The Pie Man
21-01-2011, 12:39 AM
When I say high risk, I'm more borrowing cliche's than actually saying Cooney is high risk - he's a legitimate contender for a captain of an AFL footy club, and doesn't muck up etc.

GVG has pointed out his concerns, and I hear them - but just to clarify, I don't see him as a 'high risk' option. Just left field

Looking forward to tomorrow's announcement

Ghost Dog
21-01-2011, 12:46 AM

Frank, interested - what do you mean by this? Bring in a younger player?
Or go the wild card option with Cooney.

With Cooney, maybe Doug Hawkins is a good example. Here is a guy was one of the lads, left school at 14. Was the captaincy good for him?

Well, if you were a player, who would you want as a captain?
For me, Someone like Jhonno, just loved the guy.
Red White and Blue to the bone
good with people.
Told you what you were doing right as well as wrong.
Maybe a game breaker but maybe not.

Maxwell is not a game breaker. Harley wasn't. Kirt, not really.
Just solid club men and their key was consistent effot..

On that basis I think any of them would do well,
but I have read Boyd can overreact a bit.
Still, he is a hard nut and we need that.
Gia goes a bit missing at times.
None are really a Reiwoldt or a Goodes - face it
Well, Barry Hall has a bit of that. In my dream world, he would be it!

Let's rally behind whoever they choose - come on guys! EVEN if it is Gia. And face it. You are all just jealous of his Rob-Lowe good looks ^_^ especially Druid.

Dry Rot
21-01-2011, 01:57 AM
Maxwell is not a game breaker. Harley wasn't. Kirt, not really.
Just solid club men and their key was consistent effot..

But is that good enough for us?

Let's face it, we were probably the third best team in 2008, and the fourth best team in 2009 and definitely in 2010.

To win the flag, we need to go up several notches and this obviously means advances in all sorts of of areas. And one of them could be having an inspirational captain who can turn a game off his own boot.

It would be great if it was a KPP like Brown or Tredrea but we don't have one right now like that. But captains like Hird or Kelly (and I'd argue the previous de facto Hawks captain Hodge) would turn a game, and Cooney is the closest thing we have.

It may make him or it may break him, but I reckon roll the dice with Cooney to win a flag now.

blueblooded
21-01-2011, 02:05 AM
Will we be buoyed by the decision?

So I'm assuming it's matty Boyd?

Flamethrower
21-01-2011, 08:02 AM
I am hoping that one of Coons, Griff, Dale or Murph gets the gig, but it doesn't bother me who gets the job as captaincy is seriously overrated. Showing leadership on and off the field is far more important that some silly title.

jazzadogs
21-01-2011, 09:12 AM
9am at training tomorrow. There will no doubt be a good media attendance. Well done for the club for the way that have built up the expectation of this.
It's 10am isn't it? Please tell me it's 10am?!?

The Coon Dog
21-01-2011, 09:15 AM
It's 10am isn't it? Please tell me it's 10am?!?

Yes, it is 10.00am (as per the OP)

jazzadogs
21-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Yes, it is 10.00am (as per the OP)
Yeh, that's what I was going off and I went back to check it. But I thought I'd double check that things hadn't changed since the OP. Thanks TCD!

Mantis
21-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Let's rally behind whoever they choose - come on guys! EVEN if it is Gia. And face it. You are all just jealous of his Rob-Lowe good looks ^_^ especially Druid.

Do you actually believe that any supporter/ member with a reasonable amount of footy knowledge give two hoots that he's a good looking rooster?... I wouldn't have thought so.

Sockeye Salmon
21-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Cooney's far more likely to kick that team lifting goal, or morale boosting run through the middle

And you are not allowed to do that if you are not captain?

bornadog
21-01-2011, 10:41 AM
For those of us not at training, please post on here via smart phone the new captain.

Dry Rot
21-01-2011, 10:42 AM
And you are not allowed to do that if you are not captain?

Check your PMs.

Ozza
21-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Funny to think that the two most recent Premiership captains (Maxwell and Harley) - were two of the most heavily criticised decisions at the time of their announcement - and they've both proven to be outstanding leaders.

Just an observation really - and probably highlights that those from within the club are far more capable of making the right decision about these sort of things than the supporters.

I'm sure whoever we choose will do the job well and everyone will get behind him.

LostDoggy
21-01-2011, 10:48 AM
I woke up too late :(

Go_Dogs
21-01-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm sure whoever we choose will do the job well and everyone will get behind him.

Exactly.

It's not the be all and end all, and just because you're captain or not doesn't effect your ability to lead the troops.

Still very keen to know who it is though!

MrMahatma
21-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Facebook is saying it's Boyd.

AndrewP6
21-01-2011, 11:18 AM
Facebook is saying it's Boyd.

So is www.westernbulldogs.com.au

The anti-climax is out of the bag.