PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs to name new skipper on Friday

The Coon Dog
19-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Al Paton - Herald Sun - 19 Jan

THE Western Bulldogs will name their new captain on Friday with six key players in the running for the top job.

The Dogs' announcement is a much bigger mystery than today's news Gary Ablett will be the first captain of the Gold Coast Suns.

Daniel Giansiracusa has put up his hand to succeed Brad Johnson as top Dog, but senior players Robert Murphy, Matthew Boyd, Daniel Cross and Adam Cooney all have claims on the job.

Youngster Shaun Higgins has also been spoken of as a future captain.

BULLDOGS CAPTAIN CANDIDATES

Daniel Giansiracusa
Games: 193
We say: Has experience, can go missing a little in games though. Polished media performer.

Robert Murphy
Games: 188
We say: Deep thinker. Can play a bit too. Hopefully his body holds up.

Daniel Cross
Games: 158
We say: Consistent under-the-radar type. Huge respect at Whitten Oval.

Matthew Boyd
Games: 163
We say: See above. How can you split the best mates?

Adam Cooney
Games: 155
We say: Brownlow winner, but layabout image might not be best fit for captaincy.

Shaun Higgins
Games: 69
We say: Very young and injuries a worry. Probably next in line.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-to-name-new-skipper-on-friday/story-e6frf9jf-1225991000126)

LostDoggy
19-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Boyd seems to be the one to play a captains game when the chips are down. Good-luck to him for Friday.

Greystache
19-01-2011, 10:10 PM
Boyd seems to be the one to play a captains game when the chips are down. Good-luck to him for Friday.

Didn't see his 2 finals against the top teams last year? His direct opponent was best on ground in both games. I'd prefer it was Cooney or Morris, Boyd needs to get back to basics because he has gotten well ahead of himself. I think Cooney could grow with the added expectation.

AndrewP6
19-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Hilarious in that pic, a number of the boys apparently wearing those Power Balance bands... wonder if they're still wearing them?

Ghost Dog
19-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Didn't see his 2 finals against the top teams last year? His direct opponent was best on ground in both games. I'd prefer it was Cooney or Morris, Boyd needs to get back to basics because he has gotten well ahead of himself. I think Cooney could grow with the added expectation.

This is an interesting view. I would prefer Morris as well but it's not going to happen.
With the way they have photoshoped the banner on the club's website, I can't see how it can be anyone but Boyd. Not my first choice but you won't have to worry about his effort.

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 03:32 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.
Robert Murphy or Dale Morris would be my 1st 2 picks.
Both have excellent leadership qualities and show it both on & off the field.
Both are not in the midfield and creating the plays so can direct from outside the midfield cluster.
No offence to Boyd or Cross, but how can they be directing guys to positions when they are in and under trying to get the ball moving? The captaincy may take the edge off their game.
As for Gia and Higgo, there's no Mirror on the field :rolleyes:

The Coon Dog
20-01-2011, 03:42 PM
No offence to Boyd or Cross, but how can they be directing guys to positions when they are in and under trying to get the ball moving? The captaincy may take the edge off their game.

Doesn't seem to affect Judd, Watson, Ling, Mitchell (even though he's passed the baton onto Hodge), Harvey, Cassisi, Newman & Kirk playing in the middle & captaining the side.

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Boyd, Cooney, Cross would be my preference

AndrewP6
20-01-2011, 10:13 PM
As for Gia and Higgo, there's no Mirror on the field :rolleyes:

No, but there are two VERY big screens! :)

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 10:31 PM
Boyd for 2 years, then give it to Mitch Wallis.......

GVGjr
20-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Boyd for 2 years, then give it to Mitch Wallis.......

Big call there M27.
Could we have Boyd doing it for a season then reviewing it again to see if Cooney or Higgins have made some more progress?

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Big call there M27.
Could we have Boyd doing it for a season then reviewing it again to see if Cooney or Higgins have made some more progress?

Id be happy with that......

Mantis
20-01-2011, 11:19 PM

I can't see the point in using Boyd as such a short term option.

GVGjr
20-01-2011, 11:23 PM
I can't see the point in using Boyd as such a short term option.

Tend to agree but the Saints rotated captains around and I'm not sure if they think it was a good thing or not.

LostDoggy
21-01-2011, 07:17 AM
No, but there are two VERY big screens! :)

Dammit. Forgot about them :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
21-01-2011, 07:19 AM
Doesn't seem to affect Judd, Watson, Ling, Mitchell (even though he's passed the baton onto Hodge), Harvey, Cassisi, Newman & Kirk playing in the middle & captaining the side.

True TCD, just my personnel opinion tho ;)