PDA

View Full Version : Kelli underwood

OLD SCRAGGer
20-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Seems channel 10 (1HD ) have ended the Kelli Underwood calling AFL in season 2011....THANK GOODNESS :D

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 03:35 PM
I have nothing against women calling footy...however she was orrible and just had to go!!

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 04:32 PM
I have nothing against women calling footy...however she was orrible and just had to go!!

Fantastic news. Do your time, get your promotions on merit, not because of your sex. She was horrible.

The Adelaide Connection
20-01-2011, 04:39 PM
IMO the experiment could have worked if they picked someone who knew as much as she does about footy but actually had a voice that suited radio/commentary

mjp
20-01-2011, 05:26 PM
I thought she was fine. At least she got the players names right which is more than you can say for most of the others...The special comments guys annoy me one million times more than the announcers.

chef
20-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I thought she was fine. At least she got the players names right which is more than you can say for most of the others...The special comments guys annoy me one million times more than the announcers.

I agree. She is a hell of a lot better than Brayshaw and Bruce.

Ghost Dog
20-01-2011, 06:06 PM
The names thing really annoys me. We need to start a petition.
1. Bruce, stop calling Gia Gian
2. How many times do they get our players last names confused?

mjp
20-01-2011, 06:29 PM
2. How many times do they get our players last names confused?

All the time. And it is not just our players...

The teams down the bottom of the ladder are horribly misrepresented if they get a birth on prime-time tv because each stations 'A' team seemingly only ever watch Collingwood games.

Bulldog Revolution
20-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Not only did Underwood know their names, she knew where they were from and what their strengths were etc.

I'm not saying I loved her commentary but it's sad that a commentator who actually had some knowledge is given the flick whilst plenty of hopeless ones keep chugging around.

Most of the special comments crews provide no insight e.g Tim Watson

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Her not commentating this year is music to my ears. Instead of a stabbing-like pain she gave throughout 2010.

Besides the irritating voice I thought she offered very little in how she described what was happening, added nothing to what you could see in front of your eyes..using old typical cliche's. If she was good enough, she would have a job in 2011.

Take this for example;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P50iJTjSUOQ

This is an irritable piece of hers at the end of a great game, instead of excitement you hear this annoying croaky-ness if a 13 year old boy's voice just starting breaking

AndrewP6
20-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Good call, sensible call, save-the-eardrums-of-the-football-public call... she was, is and likely will always be dreadful. Boring as hell, a voice reminiscent of nails down the blackboard. Put her on special comments, reducing the torture to the occasional "He's jogging the boundary, so he looks right to come back on"...

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Some of guys don't like here just cos she is a female commentator in a male dominated environment. As already mentioned there are plenty that are worse.

GVGjr
20-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Some of guys don't like here just cos she is a female commentator in a male dominated environment. As already mentioned there are plenty that are worse.

I never minded what she said and thought she was well researched but her voice needed some work. There are plenty of excellent female sports callers and she could well be another.

LostDoggy
20-01-2011, 09:46 PM
I never minded what she said and thought she was well researched but her voice needed some work. There are plenty of excellent female sports callers and she could well be another.

I don't know another female AFL commentator so she was always on a hiding to nothing to win fans over. He voice is a little dull but there are also plenty of male voices that are dull that don't cop the scrutiny.

GVGjr
20-01-2011, 09:53 PM
I don't know another female AFL commentator so she was always on a hiding to nothing to win fans over. He voice is a little dull but there are also plenty of male voices that are dull that don't cop the scrutiny.

I think that is the only issue. Like anyone who is being a pioneer in something like the male dominated field of Australian rules to really succeed you normally have to be a bit better than average and I think Underwood just comes up a little short of the mark.
With a bit of training I'd expect her back on the air in 12 months.

The Pie Man
20-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Different sport, but Mike Cockerill is hopeless sometimes : when there maybe 1 goal a game, you've got to lose it. He hardly ever changes tone.

She's better than him - she's not the worst AFL caller at all.

But what are Ch 10 meant to do when their research indicates she's annoying? You can't just dismiss it as a redneck reaction, as perfectly reasonable people of both genders find her voice irritating...much like our current PM funnily enough (as in annoying - different sound, but same effect)

Throughandthrough
21-01-2011, 08:28 AM
I have NO issues with female commentators at all, but i'm glad she has been moved on, as she was utterly and completely BORING!

AndrewP6
21-01-2011, 10:08 AM
I think that is the only issue. Like anyone who is being a pioneer in something like the male dominated field of Australian rules to really succeed you normally have to be a bit better than average and I think Underwood just comes up a little short of the mark.

Her boss (can't remember his name from the article) says a couple of years on radio is what she needs.

Twodogs
21-01-2011, 10:45 AM

That's my thoughts too. I reckon if Kelli goes away and improves her vocal delivery that she will be back calling footy matches in the future.

Her ability to get player's names correct is better than most of the other commentators and there is nothing wrong with her knowledge of the game.

Remi Moses
21-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Not only did Underwood know their names, she knew where they were from and what their strengths were etc.

I'm not saying I loved her commentary but it's sad that a commentator who actually had some knowledge is given the flick whilst plenty of hopeless ones keep chugging around.

Most of the special comments crews provide no insight e.g Tim Watson

Agreed. Kelli get's the flick yet people like Walls stay in work.
Suppose you need someone to swing in the breeze in the commentary box!

Greystache
21-01-2011, 03:11 PM
I had and continue to have no issue with a female commentator, but she was awful. The job is commentating, which means you're heard and not seen 90% of the time and her voice was painful. You've got the game there in front of you, what the commentator says is no more important than how they say it, and as I said she was unbearable. The worst thing is her voice sounded put on, as if she was trying to sound like an ocker bloke. Her calling was cliched and getting players names right was only average, but if she had a smooth and pleasant voice I'd be happy to have her calling.

bornadog
21-01-2011, 03:38 PM
I had and continue to have no issue with a female commentator, but she was awful. The job is commentating, which means you're heard and not seen 90% of the time and her voice was painful. You've got the game there in front of you, what the commentator says is no more important than how they say it, and as I said she was unbearable. The worst thing is her voice sounded put on, as if she was trying to sound like an ocker bloke. Her calling was cliched and getting players names right was only average, but if she had a smooth and pleasant voice I'd be happy to have her calling.

I tend to agree with this, she seemed to be calling like she was on radio.

Generally with commentors I find the main thing that influences me is whether I nlike the sound of their voice and then what comments they make when not calling the play.

I don't think I like anyone on TV including Commetti.

Ghost Dog
21-01-2011, 05:25 PM

I was trying to put my finger on what bothered me about her call...
.... you nailed it! :D

Happy Days
21-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Why does it have to be about her being a woman?

She was bad at her job, so she lost it.

Dancin' Douggy
21-01-2011, 09:51 PM
She was unbearable. Like being forced to eat your own teeth.

mjp
21-01-2011, 11:33 PM

If being bad at your job meant you would lose it, how is Robert Walls still employed??? How is Jason Bennett still commentating?

It is partly about her being a woman because a large portion of the audience simply don't want to hear a female commentator...Robert Walls is a peanut but he doesn't have to fight off the 'what do girls know about footy' crowd.

Remi Moses
22-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Despite the initial uniqueness of a female voice I didn't give a toss about her calling or not.
What bothers me however is that no matter what female voice commentates your going to get a large amount of moaning . Sad but some still live in a caveman mentality!

Ghost Dog
22-01-2011, 01:35 AM
She was unbearable. Like being forced to eat your own teeth.

LOL kak

Desipura
22-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Would rather Derrick Underwood

LostDoggy
22-01-2011, 08:57 AM

Cos there are are plenty of male commentators that are worse that keep there job and are as analyzed like her.

Ghost Dog
22-01-2011, 02:10 PM
If she really wants to be a commentator then she will take it as feedback, change her style a bit and be back into it. as noted, at least she gets our player's names right on a regular basis. All she would have to do, IMO is not lay it on so thick - just speak in a normal tone.

Richo is one of my favourite commentators - love his dry humour and some good insights.

Throughandthrough
22-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Cos there are are plenty of male commentators that are worse that keep there job and are as analyzed like her.

Nsme names?

As I said above, she is boring to the nth degree.

Twodogs
22-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Nsme names?

Bennett
Healy
Taylor
Russell-did he mention that Craig Bradley is a mate of his?

That's off the top of my head without hearing a football match being called for over four months. If it were mid season I coul easily add another half a dozen names without thinking too hard.

azabob
22-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Nsme names?

I'd prefer her to Andrew Maher, Brian Taylor, Steve Quartermain, anyone from SEN (Anthony Hudson goes ok).

By far the best broadcaster of AFL is ABC 774. The team is near perfect (Drew Morphett is the exception) with their knowledge and ability to communicate what is going on.

Each person knows and understands their role and not too many egos in the ABC team.

bornadog
22-01-2011, 02:57 PM
I'd prefer her to Andrew Maher, Brian Taylor, Steve Quartermain, anyone from SEN (Anthony Hudson goes ok).

By far the best broadcaster of AFL is ABC 774. The team is near perfect (Drew Morphett is the exception) with their knowledge and ability to communicate what is going on.

Each person knows and understands their role and not too many egos in the ABC team.

Spot on, although I do like Drew as a caller.

Throughandthrough
22-01-2011, 03:03 PM

Don't start me on Drew Morphett!

But he has mellowed over the last decade and is now bearable. He used to shockingly barrack for his favourite players (Ablett, Carey, etc) and call their names only when the ball is in their area

and Ablett ! ABBBLEEETTTT!!! Flies for a SCREAMER. But no, it's been marked in front of him by the Hawthorn defender who plays on and.....

LostDoggy
22-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Nsme names?

Hunt, walls , schwartz, Roberts, blight, macaveny, Watson , brayshaw are all as bad if not worse. That was my Quick list

chef
22-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Nsme names?

Cometti
Brayshaw
Walls
Bruce
Jakovich
Pickering
Watson
Richardson
Smith
Not all are commentators(some are special comments), but they all offer less than Underwood IMO.

Remi Moses
22-01-2011, 10:26 PM

I like the ABC team as well.
Gerard Whately is excellent,Drew's okay.
Stan Alves and Mark Maclure are very good in expert comments
Dan Lonergan I enjoy (good dog man)
The other stations feel to me a mixture of massive egos who get in each others way(hello SEN AW and bloke FM)

Throughandthrough
22-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Looking at the above, I think if we listed every tv commentator and then crossed off everyone who someone had mentioned, then Kelli Underwood would be the only one left!

LostDoggy
22-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Looking at the above, I think if we listed every tv commentator and then crossed off everyone who someone had mentioned, then Kelli Underwood would be the only one left!

No idea what you are trying to say or prove there. Crossed off? Who crossed them off?

AndrewP6
22-01-2011, 10:48 PM
No idea what you are trying to say or prove there. Crossed off? Who crossed them off?

I think T&T is saying that people appear to hate every single one of the commentators, leaving only Kelli. Or something. :)

Throughandthrough
22-01-2011, 11:03 PM
yeah its not that hard. I cbf scrolling above bit theres about fifteen commentators that various people say that Kelli Underwood is better then.

chef
23-01-2011, 08:02 AM
I think T&T is saying that people appear to hate every single one of the commentators, leaving only Kelli. Or something. :)

Not everyone. Just that there's a few more that are worse and deserved to get sacked before Kelly.