PDA

View Full Version : Drum roll ........ And our new captain is ......!

Curly5
21-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Please post the answer as soon as you hear! :)

LostDoggy
21-01-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm not at training but this popped up on my Facebook newsfeed...A bit early though??

http://leader-news.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/matthew-boyd-new-western-bulldogs-captain/

LostDoggy
21-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Interesting...

Mantis
21-01-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm not at training but this popped up on my Facebook newsfeed...A bit early though??

http://leader-news.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/matthew-boyd-new-western-bulldogs-captain/

I wonder if the author had the inside word.... The surname suggest he/ she might have.

LostDoggy
21-01-2011, 11:02 AM
And leading them out is....?????

Mantis
21-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Boyd.

SquirrelGrip
21-01-2011, 11:03 AM
superfooty SuperFooty (AFL)
Matthew Boyd is new Bulldogs captain. @StevoHeraldSun tipped this!

http://twitter.com/#!/superfooty

Curly5
21-01-2011, 11:07 AM
superfooty SuperFooty (AFL)
Matthew Boyd is new Bulldogs captain. @StevoHeraldSun tipped this!

http://twitter.com/#!/superfooty

Brilliant. :D Anyone with eyes in their head only had to look at the WB homepage, plus the membership card. Kind of an open secret really.

Congrats to Boydy - he's worked hard to get where he is. Gia would be a bit disappointed - he was the annointed one for a while there.

How about the vice captain?

1eyedog
21-01-2011, 11:08 AM
What a huge shock I never would have predicted this!

LostDoggy
Cooney and Gia Vice Captains

LostDoggy
Not sure he looked that happy

AndrewP6
21-01-2011, 11:10 AM

He never looks happy. :)

bornadog
Brilliant. :D Anyone with eyes in their head only had to look at the WB homepage, plus the membership card. Kind of an open secret really.

Congrats to Boydy - he's worked hard to get where he is. Gia would be a bit disappointed - he was the annointed one for a while there.

How about the vice captain?

Gia and Cooney

Mantis

Surprised?

He sort of has that look that if he smiled his face might crack... Bit different to our previous captain in that way.

AndrewP6
Congrats to Boydy!

LostDoggy
21-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Great choice and awesome that Cooney is a vice as well. Excellent decision all round. Between the three(Boyd/Coon/Gia) of them all the leadership needs are covered! I for one am very happy.

LostDoggy
21-01-2011, 11:22 AM
It was like Lenny Hayes at the nab cup

aker39
21-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Let's hope Gerard Healy can finally get his name right.

bornadog
21-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Let's hope Gerard Healy can finally get his name right.

Yeah, Brad would be happy with that too:D

Twodogs
21-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Well done Keithy. From the rookie list to captain of the club is a fair effort.

Nick Maxwell also did it, lets hope that Matty gets to walk onto the dais and collect the premiership cup as well.

Kudos to Scotty Clayton who spotted him playing VFL seconds and gave him a chance as well.

soupman
21-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Profile in the article on the site is wrong. According to that he is 32.

AndrewP6
21-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Profile in the article on the site is wrong. According to that he is 32.

:eek: Poor form on an article announcing the new skipper. Come on Dogs, be better than that.

Ozza
21-01-2011, 11:41 AM
They also said he was 19 when he played his first game....I'm sure he was 20...perhaps I'm too pedantic - but its not that hard to make sure the details are correct.

Go_Dogs
21-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Congrats to Boydy!

Hopefully he can lead us to the ultimate success.

Maddog37
21-01-2011, 12:04 PM
Congrats Boydy. Great story from rookie etc etc.

Did Sam Mitchell also come off a rookie list to captain a flag?

Mofra
21-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Well done Keithy. From the rookie list to captain of the club is a fair effort.

Nick Maxwell also did it, lets hope that Matty gets to walk onto the dais and collect the premiership cup as well.

Ditto Brett Kirk as a joint captain. Look like we may well be helping the enforce the precedent this year ;)

soupman
21-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Congrats Boydy. Great story from rookie etc etc.

Did Sam Mitchell also come off a rookie list to captain a flag?

I like the use of the word "also" here.

LostDoggy
21-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Well done Boydy. Now I can imagine who is going to hold the cup in October!!!

Go_Dogs
21-01-2011, 01:54 PM
I like the use of the word "also" here.

Agreed, well played. No one can claim us as delusional! ;)

Greystache
21-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Kudos to Scotty Clayton who spotted him playing VFL seconds and gave him a chance as well.

Actually it was Gerard Sholly who spotted him. He thought Boyd was a potential AFL player despite languishing in Frankston's reserves, so rang his best mate (Scott Clayton) who agreed to give him a chance. The rest as they say...

Remi Moses
21-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Obvious and best choice .
Well done Brad :rolleyes:

Sedat
21-01-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm not at all surprised but I am still disappointed with this 'safe' selection. Now that he has assumed the captaincy, I hope that Boyd modifies his game so that he can focus solely on actions that will benefit the team. By that I want to see him curb his (recently) overly attacking instincts, and instead clamp down on the opposition's most dangerous game-breaking midfielder. I don't want to see him go head to head anymore against the likes of Hayes and Swan and be utterly torched in the big games. We have Cooney and Griffen to run the lines and break the game open, so I would expect to see the likes of Boyd and Cross block and harrass and provide a clear path for our game-breakers to let loose, and to prevent the opposition's game breakers from influencing proceedings. If it is good enough for the likes of Kirk and Ling to sacrifice their games to provide the most value to their respective teams, it should be good enough for Boyd.

Greystache
21-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm not at all surprised but I am still disappointed with this 'safe' selection. Now that he has assumed the captaincy, I hope that Boyd modifies his game so that he can focus solely on actions that will benefit the team. By that I want to see him curb his (recently) overly attacking instincts, and instead clamp down on the opposition's most dangerous game-breaking midfielder. I don't want to see him go head to head anymore against the likes of Hayes and Swan and be utterly torched in the big games. We have Cooney and Griffen to run the lines and break the game open, so I would expect to see the likes of Boyd and Cross block and harrass and provide a clear path for our game-breakers to let loose, and to prevent the opposition's game breakers from influencing proceedings. If it is good enough for the likes of Kirk and Ling to sacrifice their games to provide the most value to their respective teams, it should be good enough for Boyd.

Agree with you 100% Sedat, the problem is I can only see it getting worse. His actions are continually being reinforced by the MC, with high finishes in the B&F and now the captaincy, the club is only encouraging him to abandon his team beneficial role even further.

My other concern with Boyd as captain is, I know as a player I wouldn't take it well if the captain berated me for my effort (which Boyd is prone to do) when his direct opponent has just put through their 3rd goal with their 35th possession.

Mantis
21-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Well said Sedat.

Boydy played outside his limitations towards the end of the 2010 season and it didn't work out all that well, perhaps he did so because our most influential midfielder was missing, but whatever the reason he needs to get back to playing the type of the role you described.

We still want him to win the hard ball & clearances, because he is very good at that, but he needs to wind back a little when the ball is open play such that he can be a bigger help if or when we lose possession.

I guess it's all about playing the correct role for your skill set and what fits best with the way we play as a team, and the defensive minded & team orientated role you explained fits in with what we need to become a better team, because as we know we only need to improve just a bit to become a GF team.

comrade
21-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Agree with you 100% Sedat, the problem is I can only see it getting worse. His actions are continually being reinforced by the MC, with high finishes in the B&F and now the captaincy, the club is only encouraging him to abandon his team beneficial role even further.

My other concern with Boyd as captain is, I know as a player I wouldn't take it well if the captain berated me for my effort (which Boyd is prone to do) when his direct opponent has just put through their 3rd goal with their 35th possession.

Are we being a bit harsh on Boyd?

His game style changed dramatically when Cooney was out of the team (most noticeably the Geelong thrasing and last year's final series). With our best mid out, he took it on himself to be a game breaker (or may have been directed by the coaching staff, who knows) and it backfired badly.

With a fit and firing midfield (featuring Cooney, Griffen and Sherman) and a tweak of coaching instruction (play more defensive against the gun teams), you would hope Boyd reaches the same heights as 2009 and early 2010 when he was very, very good.

Greystache
21-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Are we being a bit harsh on Boyd?

His game style changed dramatically when Cooney was out of the team (most noticeably the Geelong thrasing and last year's final series). With our best mid out, he took it on himself to be a game breaker (or may have been directed by the coaching staff, who knows) and it backfired badly.

With a fit and firing midfield (featuring Cooney, Griffen and Sherman) and a tweak of coaching instruction (play more defensive against the gun teams), you would hope Boyd reaches the same heights as 2009 and early 2010 when he was very, very good.

I don't think so, it became screamingly obvious at the end of last year because he was getting smashed so badly (Ablett, Swan, Hayes etc.) but it's been an issue for 2 years. He was ripped into by Rocket after our loss to Collingwood in early 2009 for being unaccountable against Swan who got 40 touches, nothing changed then and nothing looks likely to change now. I hope you're right, because if he plays for the team he could be a real asset, but even just watching the match sim this morning twice I saw him try tricky little kick across his body to a team mate 20m away in the middle of the ground who was surrounded by 3 opponents. Naturally it resulted in a turnover, seeing that doesn't fill me with confidence.

comrade
21-01-2011, 04:44 PM
even just watching the match sim this morning twice I saw him try tricky little kick across his body to a team mate 20m away in the middle of the ground who was surrounded by 3 opponents. Naturally it resulted in a turnover, seeing that doesn't fill me with confidence.

Hmm, doesn't sound great. That being said, Cooney wasn't playing :D

Ghost Dog
21-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Well said Sedat.

Boydy played outside his limitations towards the end of the 2010 season and it didn't work out all that well, perhaps he did so because our most influential midfielder was missing, but whatever the reason he needs to get back to playing the type of the role you described.

We still want him to win the hard ball & clearances, because he is very good at that, but he needs to wind back a little when the ball is open play such that he can be a bigger help if or when we lose possession.

I guess it's all about playing the correct role for your skill set and what fits best with the way we play as a team, and the defensive minded & team orientated role you explained fits in with what we need to become a better team, because as we know we only need to improve just a bit to become a GF team.

So when you say outside his limitations, you mean, trying to be the big game breaker and not following his opponent?

For mine, for a while there in 2010 I used to get worried
everytime he disposed of the ball. Personally. I'm a little dissapointed but with the banner ( web ) we all knew it was coming.
anyway - congratulations Matt.
new season, new year. See how it goes eh? No questions about his effot.

Greystache
21-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Hmm, doesn't sound great. That being said, Cooney wasn't playing :D

Good point, there's hope! :D

BulldogBelle
21-01-2011, 05:05 PM
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/4816/boydcaptain1.jpg
Can you guys fill in the missing names. I have two number 17's.

Dry Rot
21-01-2011, 05:12 PM

5 = Big new Hill?

9 = Barlow

18 = DJ

29= Skinner

30 = Libba

Guesses: 19 = Cordy and 23 = Prato?

alwaysadog
21-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Now let me get this straight...

Three regular posters have issues with the selection of our newly appointed captain who is a regular top 4 finish in the best and fairest, former winner and 5th in last year’s Brownlow. They disagree with all those not part of the process but who supported his succession to the top job including just about everyone who should know about such things, including his immediate predecessor Johno ...

What is more they allege that our new captain is really the cause of or at least shares a major portion of the blame for our failure to progress in recent finals and is not just a liability in big matches but unlikely to be an effective skipper because players will see him as self indulgent when he urges them to be selfless.

While I don’t want to be the bearer of bad tidings, something doesn’t compute in that equation, unless the rest of the world is mad except for thee.

Greystache
21-01-2011, 05:19 PM

2. Panos
5. Mulligan
9. Barlow
14. Ward
17. Wood
18. Djerrkura
19. Prato
23. Cordy
26. Hill
29. Skinner
30. Johanisson
31. Might be Sherman

comrade
21-01-2011, 05:27 PM
6 might be Howard. 25 is Picko.

Who's 1 and 20?

divvydan
21-01-2011, 05:27 PM
1. Couldn't work it out, either future father son or someone from Willi who didn't go to WA
6. Howard
20. Either Schofield or another non listed player
25. Picken or Tutt
31. Reid

Pickenitup
21-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Numder 1 and 20 i am pretty sure are non listed players maybe scholarship players i think after being
at training this week pic number 20 i think his name is Ryan

Mantis
21-01-2011, 06:00 PM
So when you say outside his limitations, you mean, trying to be the big game breaker and not following his opponent?

I thought he played a little too attackingly thru the last 6 weeks and with his skill-set I thought he should have paid a bit more attention to his direct opponent rather than collecting large numbers.

Against Geelong in round 20 last year we got walloped to the tune of 101pts and for large chunks of the game Boyd was matched up on GAjr. Boyd racked up 35 touches, but Ablett had 39 and kicked 3 goals and ran free for much of the night. In my mind Boydy should have tried to sacrifice his own game to try and curb Ablett's influence, but from where I sat I didn't see it. If we had won this game I wouldn't have cared less how many touches Ablett had, but when you lose by 17 goals you have to wonder what his role was and why he didn't take it upon himself to 'lock-down'.

Go_Dogs
21-01-2011, 06:03 PM

Three regular posters have issues with the selection of our newly appointed captain who is a regular top 4 finish in the best and fairest, former winner and 5th in last year’s Brownlow. They disagree with all those not part of the process but who supported his succession to the top job including just about everyone who should know about such things, including his immediate predecessor Johno ...

What is more they allege that our new captain is really the cause of or at least shares a major portion of the blame for our failure to progress in recent finals and is not just a liability in big matches but unlikely to be an effective skipper because players will see him as self indulgent when he urges them to be selfless.

While I don’t want to be the bearer of bad tidings, something doesn’t compute in that equation, unless the rest of the world is mad except for thee.

Good post AAD, thanks for sharing.

Mantis
21-01-2011, 06:06 PM

Were you happy with the way Boyd finished the 2010 season?

GVGjr
21-01-2011, 06:23 PM

I get that people have preferences with the selection of a captain so no problem there but I fail to see the 'playing it safe' theme that some have directed towards the club for what was a good selection.
From the time Boyd made the senior list he has challenged his team mates to work hard and lift there standards both on and off the field and this is something I have witnessed for a few years now.
Surely that is exactly what we want out captain to do? Another candidate hasn't really demonstrated an ability to lead his team mates and set a high standard for them for any decent period of time and yet he was seen a a bolder selection. I just don't buy it.

The Boyd selection was a smart decision not a safe one and kudos for the club for getting it right.

GVGjr
21-01-2011, 06:27 PM

I assume that given the discussion is about the newly appointed captain your asking this from a leadership perspective? If so, I'm not aware of any issues with him. If it's about his on field form then I don't think it has much to do with the appointment process.

Mantis
21-01-2011, 06:36 PM
I assume that given the discussion is about the newly appointed captain your asking this from a leadership perspective? If so, I'm not aware of any issues with him. If it's about his on field form then I don't think it has much to do with the appointment process.

I haven't questioned the appointment, I am fine with Boyd being made captain (not that it matters) and even though he wasn't my preferred choice it's a good appointment .

My problem is with the way he finished the year and the role he was trying to play.... I don't see that he is best suited to a free running role and hope that his game tightens up this year, perhaps as captain it will as I did hear him interviewed this afternoon and he mentioned that we as a team need to improve defensively so perhaps it will.

w3design
21-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Happy with Boyd, trust the club made the right decision. Hopefully the captaincy will sit well with him and he will lead our team to a premiership this year. :)

LostDoggy
21-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Not the person i wanted as captain, but i can live with it.

Well done Boyd, lets have a big 2011.

LostDoggy
21-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Congrats Boydy.

Whilst i'm not overjoyed he's captain, i'm not that upset over it either, because frankly, I have no idea how he'll go as captain until the season commences and he's confronted with handling it when it matters.

ReLoad
21-01-2011, 07:46 PM
I concur with most people, not jumping off the westgate in excitement but im not unhappy and jumping off the westgate either.

My only concern is coming from his background as a commonwealth bank teller thus having his personality surgically removed, how he is going to go with the Media etc? Although I am sure the club will give him lots of media training.

Anyhow, good luck boydy I am 100% behind you and i look forward to watching you lead our team from the front.

KT31
21-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Well done Boydy !

Big fan and hope it brings his game to a new level.

Ghost Dog
21-01-2011, 08:37 PM
I concur with most people, not jumping off the westgate in excitement but im not unhappy and jumping off the westgate either.

My only concern is coming from his background as a commonwealth bank teller thus having his personality surgically removed, how he is going to go with the Media etc? Although I am sure the club will give him lots of media training.

Anyhow, good luck boydy I am 100% behind you and i look forward to watching you lead our team from the front.

:D Post of the day

Desipura
21-01-2011, 08:41 PM
I don't think so, it became screamingly obvious at the end of last year because he was getting smashed so badly (Ablett, Swan, Hayes etc.) but it's been an issue for 2 years. He was ripped into by Rocket after our loss to Collingwood in early 2009 for being unaccountable against Swan who got 40 touches, nothing changed then and nothing looks likely to change now. I hope you're right, because if he plays for the team he could be a real asset, but even just watching the match sim this morning twice I saw him try tricky little kick across his body to a team mate 20m away in the middle of the ground who was surrounded by 3 opponents. Naturally it resulted in a turnover, seeing that doesn't fill me with confidence.
Apologies if I am going over old ground,
Who was your preferred candidate again?

Desipura
21-01-2011, 08:42 PM

He handled himself very well on Sen today.

LostDoggy
21-01-2011, 08:57 PM
6 might be Howard. 25 is Picko.

Who's 1 and 20?

6 is definitely Howard by an eyebrow

Desipura
21-01-2011, 09:27 PM
If you read my post this morning prior to the appointment, I stated that Boyd was the safe option. I still stand by this as I do not think there was/is a standout leader amongst the group.
I know you and Mark Stevens think otherwise. Morris was my 1st choice, he to has limitations, he keeps a very low profile and he comes across as everyones mate, it appears that way from the outside. Boydy demands no one take shortcuts and that everyone get the most out of themselves, I think that is a good thing. I liked his speech at the 2009 best and fairest.
All he needs to do is let the likes of Cooney and Griffen play their natural game which will allow Boydy to play the way he did in 2008/09

Desipura
21-01-2011, 09:31 PM
6 is definitely Howard by an eyebrow

Walked passed you today, you were trying to read my tshirt, I would have said hi however I was with my 4yo daughter and she would have been scared of you.:D
I mean she is scared of woofer of all things.

GVGjr
21-01-2011, 09:53 PM
If you read my post this morning prior to the appointment, I stated that Boyd was the safe option. I still stand by this as I do not think there was/is a standout leader amongst the group.
I know you and Mark Stevens think otherwise. Morris was my 1st choice, he to has limitations, he keeps a very low profile and he comes across as everyones mate, it appears that way from the outside. Boydy demands no one take shortcuts and that everyone get the most out of themselves, I think that is a good thing. I liked his speech at the 2009 best and fairest.
All he needs to do is let the likes of Cooney and Griffen play their natural game which will allow Boydy to play the way he did in 2008/09

Perhaps you should do a search and I'm sure you will see that my preferred candidate was in fact Morris although he was never in the mix.
I certainly don't see Boyd's appointment as a safe bet in fact I'm sure that it isn't. The safer bet would have been Cooney because he wouldn't have, from what I have seen at functions, rocked the boat or challenged his colleagues to lift their standards to any real extent.
Boyd has a far more ruthless, in their face, approach and he might actually have to tone things down. He has also demonstrated this approach for many years.

I haven't read a response so far than convinces me that Boyd was the safe 'easy' bet.
I don't think any of our players were standout selections but on balance I think Boyd fills the position best.

In a contract year for Eade I think the smart decision was made not the safe one.

Desipura
21-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Perhaps you should do a search and I'm sure you will see that my preferred candidate was in fact Morris although he was never in the mix.
I certainly don't see Boyd's appointment as a safe bet in fact I'm sure that it isn't. The safer bet would have been Cooney because he wouldn't have, from what I have seen at functions, rocked the boat or challenged his colleagues to lift their standards to any real extent.
Boyd has a far more ruthless, in their face, approach and he might actually have to tone things down. He has also demonstrated this approach for many years.

I haven't read a response so far than convinces me that Boyd was the safe 'easy' bet.
I don't think any of our players were standout selections but on balance I think Boyd fills the position best.

In a contract year for Eade I think the smart decision was made not the safe one.

Apologies should have been clearer, I was referring to your comment that we had a strong leadership to choose from which I disagree with. In the future this may change if/when the likes of Ward and Higgins mature and string together a number of consistent years.

GVGjr
21-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Apologies should have been clearer, I was referring to your comment that we had a strong leadership to choose from which I disagree with. In the future this may change if/when the likes of Ward and Higgins mature and string together a number of consistent years.

No problems but that's an easy assumption for me to make when what you quoted of mine does not say that we have a strong leadership group.
For the record I have said a few times that we never had a true standout. We have depth, but not genuine standouts.
Cooney might go close once he gets a few more runs under his belt.

Can I ask why you see Ward as a potential leader?

Dancin' Douggy
21-01-2011, 10:54 PM

These are EXACTLY my thoughts on the matter.
If he does this he will be a great captain. If not, well I'm not so sure.

Sedat
21-01-2011, 11:41 PM

Happy to agree to disagree AAD. We are a very good team and have performed consistently well for the majority of the last 3 seasons. However during this time the top echelon teams have consistently had us well and truly sorted out, and our leaders have under-performed in these key moments. Opposition teams know that Cooney and Griffen are deadly if given time and space, so they structure up to ensure that the likes of Boyd and Cross get their hands on the ball in space, and back their defensive structures to win possession of the ball from the inevitable turnover. Both Boyd and Cross cut their teeth as defensive minded players and IMO have gotten the balance wrong in recent seasons. To Crossy's credit, he reverted back to having a more defensive mindset from early in 2010 and was a sensational contributor for much last season. Just my opinion but I think Boydy's game and value to the team would benefit enormously by adopting a similar approach to his game. If he can do this successfully, he will turn out to be an inspired captaincy selection because, as others have already noted, he possess many terrific attributes to be the on-field leader of our club.

GVGjr
22-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Is Cooney in the group picture? I would have thought he and Giansiracusa should be either side of Boyd.

alwaysadog
22-01-2011, 01:09 AM

With respect Mantis, that isn't relevant, my argument is not about what I think of his performance. I've offered no opinion, what I've tried to do is to highlight what seems to be a counter factual argument certain posters been running ad naseum for a few months and squeezing out counter voices.

What I'm suggesting is that they have come to conclusions about our new skipper completely at divergence with
1. his overall long term and current achievements and reputation, by the way I left out that he was also an All-Australian, all earned solely through hard work and determination
2. the opinion of the match committee
3. a host of others around the club outside the process, including the immediate past skipper.

So really your question needs turning on its head.

Do you think that the Match Committee in making this decision were unaware of what you point to and went ahead wilfully either in ignorance or unconcern for that matter?

Or is it possible that their actions suggest that they think the matter is not fully understood, may be even got blown out of proportion and consequently have a different perspective?

Now here's my opinion; I admire what he's done and where he comes from as a footballer. I don't think he's perfect and certainly not all his performances were as he would wish. But I doubt he's blind to his imperfections, could anybody be in a team with the incumbent coach. I'd be fairly certain he'd be working on those things, as he's always done.

My concern with the appointment is of a different order but I hope it works out and in recent years the club has not stuffed up too many of the big decisions.

I'd just be concerned about the balance of personality types; the coach is intense almost in the extreme, and while he didn't lack intensity it wasn't the keystone of Johno's personality.

Now we have an admirable captain renowned for his intensity, but is he too like the other key leader? Is there sufficient variety as no one message or style suits all types?

divvydan
22-01-2011, 01:26 AM
Is Cooney in the group picture? I would have thought he and Giansiracusa should be either side of Boyd.

I think he had already gone back into the ELC by that stage.

Ghost Dog
22-01-2011, 02:42 AM
With respect Mantis, that isn't relevant, my argument is not about what I think of his performance. I've offered no opinion, what I've tried to do is to highlight what seems to be a counter factual argument certain posters been running ad naseum for a few months and squeezing out counter voices.

What I'm suggesting is that they have come to conclusions about our new skipper completely at divergence with
1. his overall long term and current achievements and reputation, by the way I left out that he was also an All-Australian, all earned solely through hard work and determination
3. a host of others around the club outside the process, including the immediate past skipper.

So really your question needs turning on its head.

Do you think that the Match Committee in making this decision were unaware of what you point to and went ahead wilfully either in ignorance or unconcern for that matter?

Or is it possible that their actions suggest that they think the matter is not fully understood, may be even got blown out of proportion and consequently have a different perspective?

Now here's my opinion; I admire what he's done and where he comes from as a footballer. I don't think he's perfect and certainly not all his performances were as he would wish. But I doubt he's blind to his imperfections, could anybody be in a team with the incumbent coach. I'd be fairly certain he'd be working on those things, as he's always done.

My concern with the appointment is of a different order but I hope it works out and in recent years the club has not stuffed up too many of the big decisions.

I'd just be concerned about the balance of personality types; the coach is intense almost in the extreme, and while he didn't lack intensity it wasn't the keystone of Johno's personality.

Now we have an admirable captain renowned for his intensity, but is he too like the other key leader? Is there sufficient variety as no one message or style suits all types?

Nice post with some good points (re balance).
In the Herald article , he kind of stakes his claim as being the the 'blunt ' type. . . I just hope he doesn't pidgeon hole himself and is able to adapt. His intensity obviously worked well for him, but some characters like this find it hard to remember their communication style doesn't always work that way for others.

boydogs
22-01-2011, 02:56 AM

There are assistant coaches, vice captains and the rest of the leadership group around with a range of age brackets and personality types. Making intensity the clear focus is not a bad thing IMO.

FrediKanoute
22-01-2011, 03:17 AM

Good point and not one I'd considered. I still think though that the right choice has been made. Cooney is stiff to miss out and would have made a great captain, but I think letting him spend 2011/2012 working on getting his game to the elite.....constantly elite level is a better plan for him.

Good teams have many leaders and they don't all need to have a badge that says "leader". If we are to win the flag this year or next year or the year after then we need more than just Boydy to step up!

Desipura
22-01-2011, 07:53 AM

Was thinking the exact same thing, regardless if he is injured, he should have been in the very first picture I would have thought.

Desipura
22-01-2011, 08:01 AM
No problems but that's an easy assumption for me to make when what you quoted of mine does not say that we have a strong leadership group.
For the record I have said a few times that we never had a true standout. We have depth, but not genuine standouts.
Cooney might go close once he gets a few more runs under his belt.

Can I ask why you see Ward as a potential leader? I see Ward as a potential leader due to the way he plays, his no nonsense approach and hardness not only at the ball but his opponent as well.
I can recall in his first game the ball going out of bounds and he thought he would take it upon himself and give his opponent a hip and shoulder as a show of strength.
Being his first game, that showed me he is not intimidated. I see him as a potential Scott Burns type player, he still needs to mature as a player and person, not much different to most kids his age.

Desipura
22-01-2011, 08:08 AM
Nice post with some good points (re balance).
In the Herald article , he kind of stakes his claim as being the the 'blunt ' type. . . I just hope he doesn't pidgeon hole himself and is able to adapt. His intensity obviously worked well for him, but some characters like this find it hard to remember their communication style doesn't always work that way for others.

He is aware that he needs to speak to different players differently. He spoke about how you need to know the personality of the player to know how to approach them. It's 2011, not 1971, Boydy will be fine.

GVGjr
22-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Was thinking the exact same thing, regardless if he is injured, he should have been in the very first picture I would have thought.

I agree. He's a great chance to be the next captain so I would have thought he would be very prominent in the picture.

Mantis
22-01-2011, 11:52 AM

Others have and used this in raising concerns about his appointment.

Agree with these points, except for the All Australian bit... I'm completely over the way the AA team is picked and I think it's lost relevance.

I have no idea.

I guess that will be only be seen in the type of role he plays this year.

Quite possibly, but from where I sat over the last 6 weeks of the season I was pretty peeved at the way Boyd played and I thought his performance's had a detrimental affect on the overall performance of the team. No doubt we were under-manned through this period, but I would have hoped that a 'senior' player would have tightened up a little, but I guess that might be just what I would have liked to have seen which goes against what the MC was instructing him to do.

As do I.

He could have quite easily chucked it in when he was playing in the Frankston 2's, but it shows the resilience of the person to make it in the big league from the position he was in.

On the last point I hope he is.

I guess those concerns are relevant, but I guess it's up to the rest of the MC & leadership group to ensure that there is some sound balance in the messages that they provide, but I do believe that it isn't an area of concern due the seemingly stable environment within the club, but with some key personnel changes it will be up to the incumbents to ensure this remains.

I did hear Boyd interviewed yesterday and he did mention that he had learnt through the previous captain that not all players respond to the same message if it's directed in the style with the same intensity. Boyd admitted he liked a quite blunt assessment of his performances as he responded well to this direct style, but he had learnt over the years that not all others do and this was an area of his leadership that he worked on over the years.

I guess how well he is able to pass on feedback to others will probably determine how successful he is within role, but I was buoyed by his comments that he knew this was an area of concern and it was a skill that he was going to spend a fair bit of time on as he understands how important this aspect of leadership is. And I guess what we have learnt over time is that when Boydy puts his mind to learning a new task his strong ethic ensures that he does all he can to ensure the task is ticked off.

Mantis
22-01-2011, 12:16 PM
I agree. He's a great chance to be the next captain so I would have thought he would be very prominent in the picture.

I guess it would be nice to know if the photo was pre-organised or was done as a spur of the moment idea by the photographer.

One would think that if it was an organised photo that Cooney and other members of the leadership group would have been prominent in the photo.

BulldogBelle
22-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Some Photo's from friday.

Had all the kids that were there to form a guard of honour.

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/4853/dscf3572n.jpg

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/9906/dscf3573.jpg

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/512/dscf3575.jpg

boydogs
22-01-2011, 01:48 PM
I guess it would be nice to know if the photo was pre-organised or was done as a spur of the moment idea by the photographer.

One would think that if it was an organised photo that Cooney and other members of the leadership group would have been prominent in the photo.

I think a bit much is being made of the photo. There are plenty missing from it (Higgins? Lake? Hall? Hudson?) not just Cooney. Boydy and Gia are clearly posing, but a lot of the players are out of shot or not facing the camera

Desipura
22-01-2011, 02:02 PM

Gia was prominent

Greystache
22-01-2011, 02:21 PM
Apologies if I am going over old ground,
Who was your preferred candidate again?

Morris
Cooney
Boyd
Murphy
Cross
Giansiracusa

GVGjr
22-01-2011, 02:38 PM

When the club announced the big drum roll and countdown to the captain leading his team out to train and building up the occasion I think it's a very fair assumption to say the media would be there and pictures would be taken.
With that in mind the leadership group should have been front and centre of the picture without exception. I'm sure a reason will surface why Cooney wasn't there but it's a huge missed opportunity as far as I am concerned.
At the moment it's coming across as the sort of thing Nathan Brown used to do.

bornadog
22-01-2011, 03:54 PM
When the club announced the big drum roll and countdown to the captain leading his team out to train and building up the occasion I think it's a very fair assumption to say the media would be there and pictures would be taken.
With that in mind the leadership group should have been front and centre of the picture without exception. I'm sure a reason will surface why Cooney wasn't there but it's a huge missed opportunity as far as I am concerned.
At the moment it's coming across as the sort of thing Nathan Brown used to do.

Does it really matter?

GVGjr
22-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Does it really matter?

The club deliberately built up the occasion so to that end I'm 100% certain it does. Boyd led his team out followed by Cooney and Giansiracusa then the more senior players etc.
Cooney was at the ELC but then isn't prominent in the photo.

Why do you believe it doesn't matter?

alwaysadog
22-01-2011, 05:15 PM
The club deliberately built up the occasion so to that end I'm 100% certain it does. Boyd led his team out followed by Cooney and Giansiracusa then the more senior players etc.

This is not an answer to your question GVG but by way of amplifying an aspect of Cooney's observed character.

It's not so long ago that I recall, as I'm sure you do, Cooney being interviewed as part of a panel at the annual Player Sponsors dinner and he just texted on his mobile the whole time and had no idea about the substance of the interview. It would be easy to take offence at his actions then, but most just seemed to think it was Coons being Coons.

I've given up trying to make sense of his behaviour off the field, he's what once would have been called a cool cat and inhabits a space all his own.

For me it's hard to know if
a) he was not in the photo because he was required to be elsewhere,
b) had other matters to which he gave priority
c) was unaware that his absence would be the subject of comment
d) kept out of the photo as a snub to Matthew Boyd.
e) some or all of the above

BulldogBelle
22-01-2011, 06:23 PM
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5690/bulldogs20113.jpg

Getting better at recognising players now.

The above photo is similar to the previous one and is from:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/matthew-boyd-tipped-to-be-bulldogs-skipper/story-fn6e0tx4-1225992566485

I might have Grant as Libba above. What happened to Roughead between shots - disappeared.

Who are these guys?
Are any wrong?

comrade
22-01-2011, 06:41 PM
12 is Schofield, 29 is Picken and 37 is Dalhaus.

I reckon Grant's head can be seen directly under Gia's right ear.

boydogs
22-01-2011, 06:45 PM
1 looks like one of the Morton brothers

divvydan
22-01-2011, 07:08 PM
17 is Veszpremi and 35 is Reid

AndrewP6
22-01-2011, 10:20 PM
12 is Schofield, 29 is Picken and 37 is Dalhaus.

I reckon Grant's head can be seen directly under Gia's right ear.

I think that's right.

BulldogBelle
22-01-2011, 11:08 PM
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/7914/bulldogs20114.jpg

To Go:

Is 1. this Ryan person, anybody know anything more about him?
Howard disappeared from this pic too.

divvydan
22-01-2011, 11:17 PM
15 is Markovic.

comrade
22-01-2011, 11:17 PM
15 = Markovic.

LostDoggy
22-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Had to be Boyd. No wonder my personalized mug from the club had Boyd out front holding the ball and Gia and Coons looking over each shoulder.

chef
23-01-2011, 08:39 AM
33 is Griffen

Ghost Dog
23-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Look at the swagger on Mitch wallis. Now there is a kid who knows where he belongs.

jazzadogs
23-01-2011, 01:01 PM

Unless the photo is actually being used for promotional purposes, I don't see any reason why it's a problem.

If the photo was taken while Cooney, Sherman etc were still on the bikes (at the end of the session), then I have no problem with Coon not being in the photo. If the club wanted him over there, then I'm sure he would have gone over. Otherwise, he would continue with his fitness work which I'd prefer.

I don't believe his absence from the photo really requires so much analysis...it seemed to be a spur of the moment photo, with not much organisation. They made Gia prominent because he happened to be there, and Cooney wasn't. Not his fault IMO.

LostDoggy
23-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Me on FoxSports on Friday! If you are wondering, I'm chewing on bitang (kangaroo flavoured fyi), a South African dried meat like jerkey. Someone wanted to see me to test out the choppers. And I don't seek the limelight, it just knows how to find me.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/AFL/boyd-captains-dogs/video-e6frf33l-1225992338887?subcat=1225916318050&site=FoxSports

LostDoggy
24-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Me on FoxSports on Friday! If you are wondering, I'm chewing on bitang (kangaroo flavoured fyi), a South African dried meat like jerkey. Someone wanted to see me to test out the choppers. And I don't seek the limelight, it just knows how to find me.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/AFL/boyd-captains-dogs/video-e6frf33l-1225992338887?subcat=1225916318050&site=FoxSports

DaDruid - it's amazing how the cameras just seem to find you, what with you being such a quiet and shy kind of guy, who doesn't like to stand out in a crowd! :D HeHe! I think you're going to just have to accept that the camera just loves you!

Curly5
24-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Had to be Boyd. No wonder my personalized mug from the club had Boyd out front holding the ball and Gia and Coons looking over each shoulder.

I haven't got mine yet - they're for Social Club members, right? Methinks a phone call to the club will have to be made. I've received nothing but the membership card.

The Coon Dog
24-01-2011, 01:13 PM
I haven't got mine yet - they're for Social Club members, right? Methinks a phone call to the club will have to be made. I've received nothing but the membership card.

No, the mugs are for those who are Bulldogs For Life.