PDA

View Full Version : Dogs' stars to miss NAB Cup opener

The Coon Dog
30-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Sam Landsberger - Herald Sun - 30 January

THE Western Bulldogs will field a half-strength line-up in Round 1 of the NAB Cup as they strive to avoid the pre-season premiership hangover they suffered last April.

Coach Rodney Eade said veterans Barry Hall, Ben Hudson and "four-five other players" will join injured trio Adam Cooney, Brian Lake and Ryan Hargrave on the sidelines.

"We'll have a few out so it'll be a good opportunity to get some young lads a game so they can stamp their claims for Round 1 (of the season proper)," Eade said.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dogs-stars-to-miss-opener/story-e6frf9jf-1225997037830)

Dry Rot
30-01-2011, 10:02 PM
Interesting bit about Cordy - I always thought he was a forward/ruckman?

The 202cm giant played his junior days as a ruckman, but Eade said he would develop into a versatile key defender when playing for VFL affiliate Williamstown this year.

divvydan
30-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Maybe with so many teams likely to rest ruckmen up forward with the new rule, we're trying to develop someone who could play on them without sacrificing Lake or Williams.

Edit: Should clarufy, I don't mean someone to play permanently as a key defender but adding that as part of what he can do so he can use it if needed in a match.

Dry Rot
30-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Or maybe Cordy is fifth in line to play as a tall forward after Hall, Grant, Roughead and Jones, and therefore gets sent back to defend?

GVGjr
30-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Interesting bit about Cordy - I always thought he was a forward/ruckman?

Yeah, I don't get this though.
Unless his mobility has substantially improved I think he would struggle as a defender.

Mantis
30-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Unless his mobility has substantially improved I think he would struggle as a defender.

Wasn't his mobility very good at draft age?

I thought I saw that he was top 5 for agility at DC.

GVGjr
30-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Wasn't his mobility very good at draft age?

I thought I saw that he was top 5 for agility at DC.

Hasn't translated in his on field efforts at Williamstown or from what I've seen at training sessions. He's got good mobility for his size but I think he would struggle for the right sort of match-ups as a defender.

By the way, Hooper also tested well as the DC but I don't regard him as a quick player either although this might have to do with his habit of not running his full measure before bouncing the ball.

Before I Die
30-01-2011, 11:25 PM
Mulligan, Markovic, Cordy. Apart from any Williamstown registered Key Defenders, that is already three players for two positions. I know injuries happen, but with Cordy flagged by the senior coach as a key defender at Willi, what is that saying about the other two? Are these three possibly going to rotate between the key defensive posts and the ruck?

GVGjr
30-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Mulligan, Markovic, Cordy. Apart from any Williamstown registered Key Defenders, that is already three players for two positions. I know injuries happen, but with Cordy flagged by the senior coach as a key defender at Willi, what is that saying about the other two? Are these three possibly going to rotate between the key defensive posts and the ruck?

Cordy's aim should be to become a solid player this season alternating between forward and ruck duties. Lets see if he can become a a Scott Wynd type ruckman who's capable of pushing into the back line and taking some timely marks.

soupman
31-01-2011, 12:26 AM

Yes, but you could argue that we have Jones, Hill, Panos, Hahn and Cordy (if he remained forward) playing in 2 positions at the other end disregarding Willy blokes.

I think it's a good move. Cordy back means that it potentially gives us someone who can play multiple positions, it gives him a better crack at breaking into the seniors and it may also benefit his development as a forward.

LostDoggy
31-01-2011, 01:12 AM
Cordy's aim should be to become a solid player this season alternating between forward and ruck duties. Lets see if he can become a a Scott Wynd type ruckman who's capable of pushing into the back line and taking some timely marks.

If Cordy can slide his longshanks both forward and back then I think the guys a potential game changer. Dunno how many times Wynd saved us down back but he swung allot of games our way. It's evident Cordy can slot a goal and if he is developing that same defensive technique then I'm onboard. More I think about it I love the idea of Cordy as the sub. :cool: He's just become my official man crush - assuming he can keep his shoulders together...

Mantis
31-01-2011, 10:14 AM

Has the Scott Wynd type ruckman gone the way of the Dodo in the modern game?

Mofra
31-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Unles they are very, very good, then yes. Arguably Hudson is the modern equivalent, not overly athletic but effective in close and can run back to plug a hole when given any time on a turnover.

Desipura
31-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Yes, teams don't generally just bomb it to their forward line for the talls to mark it. Medium talls and smalls are a key component as they are able to get the footy in a number of ways ie on a lead and in a contested situation as well as crumb
Hence why pinpoint disposal is crucial.
I know it was a rheteuoric question, just thought I would put my two bobs worth.

Mofra
31-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I don't get this though.
He mobility was ok - the question for mine is whether his mobility has been effected by adding 25kgs to his frame.

bulldogsman
31-01-2011, 05:45 PM
By the way, Hooper also tested well as the DC but I don't regard him as a quick player either although this might have to do with his habit of not running his full measure before bouncing the ball.

The 20m sprint and agility test right. I have the same problem. Was good at both these tests like Hooper but could never build on it. The repeat sprint test is a much better indication of speed and one which I was only ever average.

Bulldog Revolution
01-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Unles they are very, very good, then yes. Arguably Hudson is the modern equivalent, not overly athletic but effective in close and can run back to plug a hole when given any time on a turnover.

However, Wynd was a good overhead mark and Hudson isn't

Perhaps by asking Cordy to fill back he will develop some aerial skills and ability to cover some ground.

He appeared to have great agility as a kid, but as GVGjr said that was for a 6 foot 8 ruckman, and its another an entirely other thing to think he is as agile as a Tom Williams

GVGjr
01-02-2011, 11:40 PM
He mobility was ok - the question for mine is whether his mobility has been effected by adding 25kgs to his frame.

You would have to think it must have some impact on his pace.