PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Higgins is flying and fight fit

The Coon Dog
30-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Sam Landsberger - Herald Sun - 30 January

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/09/03/1225913/986194-shaun-higgins.jpg

THE Western Bulldogs may have nabbed three ready-made players at the trade table but it is an injury-free Shaun Higgins who looms as coach Rodney Eade's secret weapon this season.

Higgins, 22, battled hamstring and calf injuries and a thyroid illness last year but has finally shaken his injury curse.

Eade said Higgins and potential star Callan Ward were training "as good as anyone" and it was like having two new recruits.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/shaun-higgins-is-flying-and-fight-fit/story-e6frf9jf-1225997035831)

w3design
30-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Love the 1000 yard stare.

Hope he has a great year.

DOG GOD
30-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Higgins and Ward will be very important players in 2011. We need both fit and firing to have any chance of taking the next step.

comrade
30-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Great news about Higgins but this was the best part of the article for mine:

New Bulldogs player welfare officer and dual North Ballarat premiership gun Brett Goodes has signed with the club's VFL affiliate Williamstown. Goodes played alongside Dogs draft pick Zephaniah Skinner at NT Thunder last year.

For whatever reason, our indigenous players just haven't settled as well as they could. Hopefully having Goodes as a welfare officer will bridge the gap. Living in Ballarat when he was tearing it up with the Roosters, he was always spoken about as a rock solid bloke.

Desipura
31-01-2011, 10:13 AM
As Sockeye mentioned a few months ago, Higgins and Ward are set for big seasons. It could be the edge we need to take that next step.

LostDoggy
31-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Two words: SHIT YEAH!

Bulldog4life
31-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Great news about Higgins but this was the best part of the article for mine:

For whatever reason, our indigenous players just haven't settled as well as they could. Hopefully having Goodes as a welfare officer will bridge the gap. Living in Ballarat when he was tearing it up with the Roosters, he was always spoken about as a rock solid bloke.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/dual-roles-bring-goodes-south-20110129-1a91y.html

More info on Goodes. Didn't realize he was Adam's brother.

Desipura
31-01-2011, 12:08 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/dual-roles-bring-goodes-south-20110129-1a91y.html

More info on Goodes. Didn't realize he was Adam's brother.
If he was totally committed to his footy with diet and everything else, he would be playing senior footy Imho

Bulldog Revolution
31-01-2011, 01:00 PM
I agree that Higgins and Ward are two super important players on the list, but part of me just thinks lets not have articles written about them, but I guess the membership team need positive stories, and these guys could certainly be the real deal

On Goodes, my suspicion is that most AFL clubs do not support their players settling into Melbourne as well as they could. Further, you'd think Rocket would know the family pretty well, and finally, when we had Jason Mifsud working with us I thought it was an excellent idea.

It makes great sense if you are bringing kids from all over australia to your footy club to have someone who is responsible for them and helps them settle and develop.

LostDoggy
31-01-2011, 02:15 PM
I agree that Higgins and Ward are two super important players on the list, but part of me just thinks lets not have articles written about them, but I guess the membership team need positive stories, and these guys could certainly be the real deal

On Goodes, my suspicion is that most AFL clubs do not support their players settling into Melbourne as well as they could. Further, you'd think Rocket would know the family pretty well, and finally, when we had Jason Mifsud working with us I thought it was an excellent idea.

It makes great sense if you are bringing kids from all over australia to your footy club to have someone who is responsible for them and helps them settle and develop.

On Ward I'd agree, but Higgins is at that point where he must expect the pressure, because it's deserved and well-placed — he simply MUST deliver.

I'm glad they're doing something for the indigenous boys, and have someone there to look out for them. Player-wise, someone from the leadership group should be onto it also.

Pedro Sanchez
31-01-2011, 02:27 PM
On Ward I'd agree, but Higgins is at that point where he must expect the pressure, because it's deserved and well-placed — he simply MUST deliver.

I'm glad they're doing something for the indigenous boys, and have someone there to look out for them. Player-wise, someone from the leadership group should be onto it also.

Higgins was crook - when fit he's a gun... Lets assess how he delivers when he's completely fit and able whihc by the sounds of will be 2011.

From the cuff I'd always back him though - you never lose class!

Dancin' Douggy
31-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Higgins is one of the classiest players we've got.
If he can get to midfield standard fitness, he Cooney and Griffen could form that magic big 3 midfield that we need. 3 big bodied, skilled, hard goal kicking midfielders.

Think Judd, Cousins, Kerr.

stefoid
31-01-2011, 06:02 PM
For sure, and it means we could utilize Cooney less and still win games if we get guys like Higgins and Sherman to step up in the midfield. The only 2/3rds of a season Cooney has been fit, he won a brownlow. Would be nice if he could stay fit more often.

LostDoggy
31-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Hrmm, I swear WOOF's very own insider and reporter, DaDruid said Higgins wasn't at training (sometime last week) and rested for precautionary reasons? May have misunderstood but I found it strange this article came out after hearing that....is it a cover up? ;)

LostDoggy
31-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Hrmm, I swear WOOF's very own insider and reporter, DaDruid said Higgins wasn't at training (sometime last week) and rested for precautionary reasons? May have misunderstood but I found it strange this article came out after hearing that....is it a cover up? ;)

Not a cover up just a puff piece you could write about any number of players at this time of year .