PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone care about footy tipping anymore?

angelopetraglia
09-02-2011, 07:13 PM
With the rise and rise of both Dream Team and Super Coach, footy tipping has really fallen behind. The conversation around the water cooler on a Monday morning is more and more about the fantasy comps rather than the Footy Tipping.

Does anyone care about footy tipping anymore? Are you still entering into Footy Tipping comps?

This little video had me reminiscing about the golden days of Footy Tipping;

wxkD9BZIM70

Danny the snakeman
09-02-2011, 07:31 PM
I have run a footy tipping comp with my mates for 16 years but im hanging up the clipboard this year,we're all into sc & dt these days so i cant be bothered tho i will still do supertipping on the comp with the family.
PS.This year every one in our dt/sc has to put in $20 with the winner of each league getting the money.

LostDoggy
09-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Fantasy football has taken over

LostDoggy
09-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Im in two $20 comps with a group of mates and one at work..tipping lives on in this footy addict! :D

soupman
09-02-2011, 09:31 PM
I enjoy but find very quickly there'll be people who forget about it or stop caring and thus half the people involved just bomb.

angelopetraglia
09-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Yes. So important with the footy tipping to get a good start. Go badly in the first few weeks and you end up chasing your tail for the entire season, taking unnecessary risks too early in the season trying to catch up getting even further behind.

Sockeye Salmon
09-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Footy tips died when they put the odds on Optus Footytips.

Now anyone without a clue ticks the favorites. We have 100 odd in our office footy tips and a dozen pick the same every week.

LostDoggy
09-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Footy tipping was still the go at our office last year. I was asking around to gauge interest in fantasy football last week and didn't find anyone who was interested. So I expect footy tipping will still be king.

boydogs
09-02-2011, 10:15 PM
DT/SC killed the radio star :p

AndrewP6
09-02-2011, 10:32 PM
I won our tipping at work in 2009, and came second by two points last year. So, yes, I care. I played SC those years too, for the first time. Didn't do too bad in my first year at it, stunk like a dead body last year. For me, the sheer fact that I couldn't give a stuff about 16 other teams in the comp (and most of their players), means I'm not knowledgeable on enough players to be any good at SC. When the season's in full swing, I read reports on the Dogs, watch vision of the Dogs, but you have to keep up with all the teams in SC. Still haven't entered SC at school (or WOOF!), not that excited about it, to be honest.

Chicago1
10-02-2011, 05:55 AM
I just know there will be less interest in 774ABC Melbourne's Lindy Burns' Drive show footy tipping this year. Watch the ratings plummet! ;)

cinder
10-02-2011, 09:33 AM
I care since I won the WOOF one last year :D

LostDoggy
10-02-2011, 10:02 AM
I just know there will be less interest in 774ABC Melbourne's Lindy Burns' Drive show footy tipping this year. Watch the ratings plummet! ;)

Does this mean you will be missing from the Friday arvo line-up of tips?

LostDoggy
10-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Don't care about footy tipping, and I never have been in one! Can't see the point really - just like throwing my money away I reckon! (Coz most of the time, I could care who else wins other than my team :o)

Murphy'sLore
10-02-2011, 10:33 AM
I did well in tipping one year (I think it was 2007) simply because I picked the Doggies every week and no one else rated them.

Doc26
10-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Have no interest in it anymore. Like others have said SC has taken over although the challenge now is to get our IT security boffins to lift the recent call to block the site along with all web proxies, bleedin brownshirts :mad:

soupman
10-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Footy tips died when they put the odds on Optus Footytips.

Now anyone without a clue ticks the favorites. We have 100 odd in our office footy tips and a dozen pick the same every week.

I love the version of Footy Tipping that the Herald Sun has where you get points based on the odds the respective sides are at. ie. If Geelong are 1.25 to win thats how many points you get if you tip them and they win. I find it's always a lot of fun and rewards you better for tipping the upset.

The Coon Dog
10-02-2011, 11:56 AM
No, I've completely lost interest.

LostDoggy
10-02-2011, 01:35 PM
When I lived in Sydney, my local watering hole was footy tipping mad. AFL, NRL, NSL, Super 10/12's, even NBL. Individual competitions for each and an overall tipping champion as well. I never won a single footy code comp but 3 out of 5 years, I took out the best overall tipper. I still enjoy a tipping comp but with the Buckingham Hotel shutting down, I am going to have to find a new comp this season.

Chicago1
10-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Does this mean you will be missing from the Friday arvo line-up of tips?

Yes. I announced my retirement at the end of last season. After doing the show for five years and having to be up at 2.45am every Friday morning for 26 weeks of the year, I had had enough. Last year's team didn't seem to click as well as when Alan Attwood and Gerard Whateley were tipping with Lindy and me. I had planned on stopping before last year's shows, but Lindy convinced me to stay so there'd be some continuity from the previous seasons. I enjoyed the run I had and enjoyed my fifteen minutes of fame. Even though I didn't receive a thing from the ABC for doing it, the gig opened up many doors for me and I got to meet so many people that I never would have met without the exposure. It even got me an upgrade on my United flights from Melbourne to Chicago last year! Hell, I was asked to sign a couple of autographs! :o

Cyberdoggie
10-02-2011, 02:37 PM
When I lived in Sydney, my local watering hole was footy tipping mad. AFL, NRL, NSL, Super 10/12's, even NBL. Individual competitions for each and an overall tipping champion as well. I never won a single footy code comp but 3 out of 5 years, I took out the best overall tipper. I still enjoy a tipping comp but with the Buckingham Hotel shutting down, I am going to have to find a new comp this season.

What would possess you to live in Sydney for 5 years!

Spewin about the Buck. Had many a drunken afternoon there after taking a sick day to watch the intra club on a friday (as it has been on occasion), and then finding my way there for lunch and a few bevies, only to stagger outside in the dark and work out how to get back to Glen Waverley. Ahh memories! :rolleyes: