PDA

View Full Version : Had a go at a new Bulldogs logo

Costa
10-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Hi guys. I've had a crack at designing a new Bulldogs logo and I'm keen to hear what you guys think. I checked it out with GVG and he's cool for me to run this by you.

I'm a designer and I have a website with a folio of my footy artwork. A while back I got an email from a Doggies fan who asked me to come up with a more aggressive logo... something with a bit more bite and character than the present badge.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5215/5424445773_f4878c75f1_z.jpg

I tried to incorporate a bit of the club's history in the design - there's more info on my sportslogos (http://www.costasportslogos.com) and footy jumpers (http://www.costasportslogos.com) website.

What do you think? I reckon sports logos only really work when they sum up what the supporters want to say about their club, which is why I'm here. If you think this is missing anything or needs a tweak or two I'd love to hear your feedback

Cheers guys. Thanks for having me stop by.

BulldogBelle
10-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Costa

Looks great- much prefer the proud Bulldog to the current yawning robo-dog!

Would be a big move for the club, and would also require a new jumper

A design with more red than blue would be interesting

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20327232.400-winners-wear-red-how-colour-twists-your-mind.html

Costa
10-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Cheers Dog House. I think pride sums it up... the current Doggies logo's not bad, but I just felt it's a bit flat and vacant. I wanted to come up with something that had a bit more attitude.

The Coon Dog
10-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Hi Costa,

Can I start by saying any new logo has to be an improvement on our current one.

I like the simplicity with the color, though I am not a fan of the grey in it, our colours are simply red, white & blue.

I think the shield could be a little wider, just seems a bit narrow.

I would prefer it if the points at the top of the shield on the left & right were at the same height as the point at the centre, that way the word Western could be the same size as Bulldogs. I would also prefer a more rounded font, rather than one where the letters are 'squared' off like you see on the numbers on a gridiron jumper.

The back end of the Bulldog also looks a little plain. Not really knowing what the back end of a Bulldog should look like, just that this seems to lack something.

I like the placement of the ball between the Bulldog's front legs, reminiscent of one of our older logos.

Please don't be offended by my comments.

I just wish I had the skills to play around & create these sort of designs.

The Coon Dog
10-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Rocco started a thread a while back:

Bring back the proud Bulldog (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4956)

Costa
10-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Cheers Coon Dog. Can't say I've been close to the rear end of a Bulldog, but if I see one I'll let you know what I find!

I made the shield a bit smaller so that the figure of the Bulldog becomes the primary focus. Didn't want it to feel like it was just floating in space - having it's paws outside the shield helps ground it a bit.

Take what you say about the grey. If I have some spare time I'll have a go at the shape of the shield's crown / font style.

Throughandthrough
11-02-2011, 12:00 AM
I like it!

LostDoggy
11-02-2011, 01:21 AM
Looks great, well done.

Should send it off to the club, we need it changed.

Ghost Dog
11-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Good go at it Costa - good on you.

I like the approach, drawing on the old logo, but It's a bit too complex.
At first glance there is something about the colour balance that makes it not look like WB. At first glance I thought ' Freo' for some reason.

I'm not sure what it is, maybe the fact that there are two bars of blue and the edges are blue, so it weighs too much in the overall design.

I think it really has some strong points- the Dog has a great expression and feels balanced. That's hard to get right.

Make it flatter and more simplified.
eg: loose the Bevel on the Shield.
I reckon the shield is too rounded. A bit more square shaped less rounded perhaps, ie
old school VFL badges.

http://www.fnwb.com.au/wp-content/themes/wpm/images/forums.jpg
http://www.bomberblitz.com/~rmered/images/Footscray-logo-1990.gif

The chest muscle of the dog is a bit wavy, not right?

Have you had a go putting the red and white in the same composition as post 80s design ei with large red bar and two thin white bars above and below?

I prefer your character ' the dog' over robo dog, but still feel Robo dog in terms of colour balance says 'WB' than the one above. That's tweakable for sure. Good effort.

The font is not bad - interesting and strong. Would like to see some of your other choices in terms of font too.

Well done Costa. I reckon you have had a great crack at it.

LostDoggy
11-02-2011, 02:28 AM
One thing that I like is the whole guarding of the football thing it has going on. Just like a dog protecting something. "This ball is mine. Don't try and take it."

boydogs
11-02-2011, 03:55 AM
One thing that I like is the whole guarding of the football thing it has going on. Just like a dog protecting something. "This ball is mine. Don't try and take it."

Yeah that's my favourite part as well. I like the Bulldog and the way it stands outside the shield. The team name font and facial expression of the Dog give the logo a strong feel too.

Negatives, I agree with TCD on the top of the shield and GD on the Dog's chest.

LostDoggy
11-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Well done Costa, Its a double thumbs up from me.

Hey GVGjr how about replacing your bulldog logo with the bulldog and ball in the shield at the top of the page just before the Whitten Oval Online Forum?.

LostDoggy
11-02-2011, 10:01 AM
WD Costa, not sure about the dog wearing a 50's style bra though :)

Chicago1
11-02-2011, 10:12 AM
I like the overall look, especially the ball placement like others have noted. And the eye(s). Looks mean. I like. :D

LostDoggy
11-02-2011, 10:29 AM
I really like it Costa, I am a fan of the 'proud bulldog'. Is there any way if fitting the bulldogs rear right leg in? Looks a bit funny to me with only 3 legs. :)

comrade
11-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Looks similar to Canterbury's new logo

http://www.streetcorner.com.au/assetLibrary/images/Sports2008/WC_390923_39_image.jpg

Costa
11-02-2011, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=Ghost Dog;19923
Have you had a go putting the red and white in the same composition as post 80s design ei with large red bar and two thin white bars above and below? [/QUOTE]

Haven't tried it yet - will have play around tonight and try out some of the suggestions made here. Will post them here for you to peruse!

Topdog
11-02-2011, 10:49 AM

Yeah thats what stood out to me too.

Murphy'sLore
11-02-2011, 12:34 PM
I like it, especially the guarding of the football. But it does look very similar to the Canterbury logo.

Twodogs
11-02-2011, 01:55 PM
I like the simplicity with the color, though I am not a fan of the grey in it, our colours are simply red, white & blue.

I understand that we are R,W&B but I like the grey shading. It gives the Bulldog the appearence of 'other'. It makes it look like something is looming and the dog has climbed over the footy ready to protect it.

To my eye it's our colours-red, white and blue-seeing off the challenger represented by the grey shading.

If I was to offer a suggestion, I'd like to see more of a snarl on the bulldog's face. Maybe the corner of it's lip turned upwards?

1eyedog
11-02-2011, 02:23 PM
It's a great design. As others have alluded to I am partial to the guarding stance and I like the show of bottom teeth. The outline of the Bulldog could be a little simpler in terms of not so many rounded edges but I do agree with Two Dogs regarding the grey. I also agree with TCD about the font, it could be rounded off a bit, I realise that this is a bold title but the Bulldog says it all really and should speak for itself. I like the narrower shield.

It's a much better design that our current logo. Great work.

LostDoggy
11-02-2011, 02:27 PM
I understand that we are R,W&B but I like the grey shading. It gives the Bulldog the appearence of 'other'. It makes it look like something is looming and the dog has climbed over the footy ready to protect it.

To my eye it's our colours-red, white and blue-seeing off the challenger represented by the grey shading.

If I was to offer a suggestion, I'd like to see more of a snarl on the bulldog's face. Maybe the corner of it's lip turned upwards?

The grey area can also represent the unknown. The reasons behind the 50-odd year drought.

BulldogBelle
11-02-2011, 07:40 PM
I like your design. The dog has attitude.

The teeth could be a trifle more prominent. The waves around the chest could be a little less obvious.

Its much better than 'Pussy Dog' or 'Proud Bulldog' as some call it. It is not as fearsome looking as 'Robo Dog', that is ideal for jumpers. But, where would you use this new logo?

No reason why we can't have more than one logo, Logos to suit a purpose. Logos for impact.

Could have the new logo on ties and jackets and letters and things, 'Robo Dog' on jumpers and 'Pussy Dog' on kindergarten stuff, so it doesn't frighten the children.

We could do with a new Theme Song too. Otherwise known as an anthem. Something with "Kill, Kill Kill" in it would be nice.

Maybe a dance or too, like those New Zealanders. We could do with our own Haka. Even our own short aggressive display would be nice. A signature move - a move or ability that would be analogous to the doggies. Like the moonwalk for Jackson or the roundhouse kick for Chuck Norris.

LostDoggy
11-02-2011, 08:01 PM
I do like your design Costa. I would make the following suggestions myself, some have already been stated, but this is my two-bobs worth I'm spending here.

SHield

- Squarer at base
- Red on White on Royal Blue hoops
- Blue twice as thick as red/white hoops
- Thin out reverse shadow line on chest
- Front paw on ball might be worth a look
- Lower head a little, will help re reverse shadow issue as well
- Different font, Stencil?
- Club date of birth
- F.F.C. reference

Hope you find these comments constructive.

Go_Dogs
11-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Nice work Costa, I quite like the design. Be interested to see your follow up works. Thanks for sharing!

angelopetraglia
11-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Great work Costa, definitely an improvement on the current logo. Captures the spirit of the Western Bulldogs.

bornadog
11-02-2011, 09:27 PM
I showed my daughter who is 17 and the first thing she said it was old fashion. Not sure if that is good or bad.

BulldogBelle
11-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Costa

If you do another revision, suggest you send it in writing (with an intro letter and specs) to a few different people at the club

Am sure that the Marketing Manager and the Communications Manager would be interested...

May even be some consulting work there for you- doing a job you love for the team you love. There couldn't be a better way to spend your days!

Costa
11-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Hey guys. Made a few tweaks to the design based on your suggestions - please keep em coming!

I'll work more on your ideas over the next week and post them here (sorry, somewhat knackered tonight!)

So here you go. I've ditched the metal beveled border and changed the stripes for an 80s look as Ghost Dog suggested:

http://www.costasportslogos.com/sites/all/themes/sportslogos/images/western-bulldogs-logo-woof-forum.jpg

I think the horizontal bars need to be quite thick, otherwise they get a little lost.

A couple of you have picked up on the Canterbury Bulldogs logo, which I talk about my sportslogo (http://www.costasportslogos.com) and footy jumper (http://www.costasportslogos.com) website.

http://www.streetcorner.com.au/assetLibrary/images/Sports2008/WC_390923_39_image.jpg

First of all, doesn't the Canterbury logo look a lot like this?

http://www.bomberblitz.com/~rmered/images/Footscray-logo-1977.gif

Dog in foreground, jumper design in back... to me that's Footscray through and through.

The Canterbury logo is good. But their bulldog looks a bit like a pet. Would probably roll over and p### itself if you scratched its tummy. I wanted a bulldog that would rip your freakin' leg off!

Instead of just tracing a photo of a real life bulldog like they did with the Canterbury logo I went for a more sculpted,heroic look. Think of the chrome dog on a Mack hood - strong and bold.

A dog guarding a ball... It's part of Footscray history:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5100/5420910404_87df110e22_z.jpg

I hope this logo upholds that tradition. Real keen to hear your thoughts.

BulldogBelle
11-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Excellent work Costa, great design.

I like the concept of the Bulldog guarding the ball. It depicts ownership. Colours are good - have you experimented with a slightly darker blue? The grey shading I like it gives more definition to the bulldog.

AndrewP6
11-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Good work Costa...for mine, remove the grey shading on the body - maybe some musculature on the body, a less blocky font, and I reckon the dog looks like he has one eye (he's a one-eyed dog!)... Nice to see some creative work for the R,W&B though....

That said, I don't mind Robodog.:confused:

Dancin' Douggy
12-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Hi Costa.
I am a graphic designer myself and have been for about 20 years.
You throw something out like this and you're gonna get a million opinions and lots of advice.
After a while it's almost impossible to absorb.
But a new logo for a footy club is a huge undertaking and good on you for having a crack.
Essentially I think it's pretty good.
But a lot of other responses I've read are pretty astute and valid.

So here are mine.

Drop the grey definitely.
Doesn't need it and these kinds of areas can easily turn ugly in an embroidery or print etc.
The simpler the better.
Someone said the dog looked one eyed and I agree.
I would look at the overall body shape and stance of the dog. Is it convincing?
I'm not sure.
The nose doesn't seem right either. Have a look at some real photos of Bulldogs and just get the general stance and face right.
I know you must be getting overwhelmed with advice but it's only because you're pretty close with what you've done.

Keep on tweaking it and perfecting it.
Imagine how proud you'd be if you actually were the one that designed the new bulldogs logo.

Keep on going. And bloody well done so far.

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 01:20 AM
The red on white on blue hoops on shield is very nice adjustment.

Still looks a little longlegged for a bulldog though.

Any chance of F.F.C on the ball, maybe?

You will not please everyone with everything but I'm glad there is consensus on some great ideas/suggestions.

Excellent stuff, both Costa and my fellow WOOFers. :D

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Legs too long, where's 4th leg?
Need FFC 1883

Apart from that great effort Costa

I don't want to go buy another jumper tho, not just yet anyway.

hujsh
13-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Costa, I was against getting rid of Robodog until I saw your designs. They look great and it's about time for a change.

mjp
13-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Costa, I was against getting rid of Robodog until I saw your designs. They look great and it's about time for a change.

Robodog is a dud, but on a jumper - or anything viewed from a distance - you need a design that is essentially bereft of detail. The problem with the proud bulldog - and to a lesser extent with the Costa Bulldog - is that there is too much detail to use it as part of the jumper design.

So are we redesigning the jumper as well?

The new logo needs to somehow show the proud bulldog in a much simplified style...

I like where you are going with this design Costa but cannot see how the club could use it whilst the jumper is integrated with the logo.

LostDoggy
14-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Go back to the original hoops, that's my opinion mjp.

AndrewP6
14-02-2011, 01:14 AM

The hoops on the training jumper looks good.

Dancin' Douggy
14-02-2011, 08:36 PM
I don't believe there should ever be any 'graphic' on the jumper.
The '54 hoops for me forever and never change them.

I don't think Costa was designing a jumper by the way just a new crest.

Costa
14-02-2011, 10:35 PM

Nail hit on head ;)

LostDoggy
14-02-2011, 10:49 PM
I think it would maybe look good if the motto was included somewhere!

Cede Nullis

Costa
30-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Hi guys. Apologies for letting this thread drift a bit... have had some work and family commitments on my plate lately.

Your feedback's been real helpful. Thanks for all the positive suggestions.

A lot of you have been asking for the traditional 70s/80s shield shape. Check it out below.

I've also added that long lost fourth hind leg, and have built up the body shape a bit. I think it's a bit more fully formed - especially in the face.

I also made the font a bit rounder and bolder. Seemed like that was the consensus here.

I'm weighing up if I need to add some light grey shadow to the Doggie's body. What do you reckon?

If you want to check out more of my work you can find me at my sportslogos (http://www.costasportslogos.com) and footy jumpers (http://www.costasportslogos.com) website. Cheers again for all your interest. Love to hear what you think.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5304/5671600132_e5b7bf5def_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5183/5671033463_5c9b151d57_z.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5063/5671033591_99ff0c776f_z.jpg

bornadog
30-04-2011, 03:35 PM
I like the second one, looks great.

One criticism is the front part of the body compared to the back and the proportions. Hard to describe without pointing it out directly.

I do prefer the font bin the second one as well

Desipura
30-04-2011, 03:39 PM
I think it would look better with 2 eyes and the footy should be facing diagonally and there is too much shade

Costa
30-04-2011, 08:51 PM

Cede Nullis

That's a pretty good idea. I'll give it a crack!

Costa
30-04-2011, 10:35 PM

Cede Nullis

How about this?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5269/5671720123_53e2941520_b.jpg

GVGjr
30-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Looks great Costa. Is a 2nd eye possible?

Costa
30-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Cheers GVGjnr. It's possible. Might take me a while though - the whole head may need to be turned forward a bit which means redrawing it from scratch. Leave it with me.

GVGjr
30-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Cheers GVGjnr. It's possible. Might take me a while though - the whole head may need to be turned forward a bit which means redrawing it from scratch. Leave it with me.

To me the dogs head should be on an angle in comparison to the body facing towards the centre.
In other words the head should be angling towards the left. You could then show slightly larger fangs.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Love the motto in the logo!

Does anyone actually like the robo dog logo? I don't mind it but I'd like to change to something more traditional.

AndrewP6
01-05-2011, 01:32 AM

Does anyone actually like the robo dog logo? I don't mind it but I'd like to change to something more traditional.

Don't mind it. If any change, the '54 stripes would be good. Everything old is new again. :)

Drunken Bum
01-05-2011, 02:07 AM
Hate robo dog

this
x2

chef
01-05-2011, 08:09 AM

I do, but then again I like all our logos.

The Pie Man
01-05-2011, 09:47 AM
While I don't like Robo Dog, I don't mind our current logo .... that doesn't make sense - I think they've made it look the best they can while featuring that robo-dog head.

Alternatively, the logo Costa has generated is a gem, I really like it.

LostDoggy
01-05-2011, 03:13 PM
To me the dogs head should be on an angle in comparison to the body facing towards the centre.
In other words the head should be angling towards the left. You could then show slightly larger fangs.

I agree, this would allow a second eye, and possibly fix the slight problem with the dogs left
cheek (jowl?) which on first impressions didn't look quite right. These are only minor details
though costa, overall i think it looks great. That robodog is starting to look a bit dated imo.

LostDog
01-05-2011, 04:02 PM
this logo should be shown to the club, as a work in progress
I would hate for you to go to all that effort for a rejection.
I love the idea of a new logo we need to shake the robo dog to many lost pre-lim finals under that banner

Costa
01-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Hey all, mocked one up today with the Bulldog's head facing forward:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5107/5675558268_2615a9748d_b.jpg

Few things I'd like to polish up, but what do you reckon?

GVGjr
01-05-2011, 10:34 PM
We have a winner.

Drunken Bum
01-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Is looking really good now, facing forward is an improvement i think

LostDog
01-05-2011, 11:04 PM
please send it to the club, and let us know how you go

SonofScray
01-05-2011, 11:10 PM

That is excellent, well done.

Greystache
02-05-2011, 01:37 AM
The latest one is great!

Costa
02-05-2011, 09:42 AM
please send it to the club, and let us know how you go

Cheers guys. Anyone know who might be the best person at the club to send this to?

stefoid
02-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Dont know about the pupil... what does it look like with out the pupil?

Or alternatively, go Terminator and making it glow flickering red.

1eyedog
02-05-2011, 01:49 PM
I love this design. I wish it was on our jumpers.

Murphy'sLore
02-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Fierce! That latest one really made me sit up!

Out of interest, if it was on our jumper, what would the background of the jumper look like? Plain royal blue? Or could we work in the red and white stripe somewhere?

LostDoggy
02-05-2011, 04:08 PM
I do like it. Well done. Quite a talent you have there Costa.

Costa
02-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I think this one's done:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5108/5679226091_60b62c3ca9_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5025/5679226397_023c4d25e2_b.jpg

Bulldogs sportslogos (http://www.costasportslogos.com)

Drunken Bum
02-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Fierce! That latest one really made me sit up!

Out of interest, if it was on our jumper, what would the background of the jumper look like? Plain royal blue? Or could we work in the red and white stripe somewhere?

Do we need a logo on the jumper? We had one of the best jumpers in the competition until we plastered robodog on it.

I love this logo, not on the jumper though but to replace robodog on other merchandise.

1eyedog
03-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Do we need a logo on the jumper? We had one of the best jumpers in the competition until we plastered robodog on it.

I love this logo, not on the jumper though but to replace robodog on other merchandise.

Logos seem to be the trend, Geelong's is terrible, far worse than Robodog. There is only so far you can go tying to make a domestic cat look fierce. I agree with you I prefer our early 70s early 80s jumper, but if I had to pick between this and Robodog it is this in a canter. There is a deft touch of the modern with tradition in this one.

Costa
03-05-2011, 12:09 AM
If you like I can mock up some jumpers with the logo.

To be honest, from a design sense, I don't think this logo should dominate the jumper. Clubs like Melbourne and Collingwood have it right with the small shield on the breast.

It's not really any of my business though - it's your jumper and any changes to it should be strictly a matter for the members methinks.

Maddog37
03-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Is it too much work to see how it looks with a little red in the eyes? Someone else mentioned it earlier. Sort of a terminator look.......

I would happily sport this logo on club gear.

DOG GOD
03-05-2011, 12:26 PM
I love the logo Costa...great stuff and something the club really needs to address I feel. Hopefully they take this design and run with it, coz i agree with the poster above. Its modern yet traditional. A great mix of both worlds.

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

LostDoggy
03-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Love it!

LostDoggy
04-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Almost perfect, I think the head is a little small in proportion to it's body. Bulldogs have large heads, If that was slightly bigger I think you'd have it.

Desipura
04-05-2011, 02:51 PM
bravo Costa!

LostDoggy
04-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Love it Costa - would like to see it on a jumper! Great job :-)

Costa
04-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Almost perfect, I think the head is a little small in proportion to it's body. Bulldogs have large heads, If that was slightly bigger I think you'd have it.

Cheers HairyMidget, I see what you mean.

There are some big headed mutts out there, but the more I looked around the more I saw bulldogs in many different shapes and sizes.

I don't think the proportioning in the logo is too far off this for example:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjb1bHm0SW1v-o2SRpI9IvzNJDOthFaRXufsDp5ZTfW32lrjEE

The larger you make the head, the smaller in stature the body appears to be. I didn't want a runty scragger, I wanted this doggie to be strong and imposing!

The great thing about logo design is that you can bend the rules a bit when you need to. Projecting the right message is more important than being anatomically exact.

Ghost Dog
04-05-2011, 09:55 PM

Nice. I love the front on.
Chest shadow is really odd. As is the shadow on back leg. But its a work in progress. Impressive!

LostDoggy
05-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Have to say that I didn't much like the initial design with the head on the side, but this newer model is great. As DogGod has said, it is a great mix of old and new and I hope you have success in presenting it to the club! Thanks for your efforts :)

Costa
18-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Hey everyone. Just to let you know that I've put together a formal presentation re the logo. It will be landing on desks at the club tomorrow. If anyone feels strongly about the issue then I guess the odd email or 2 can't hurt...

I've got some free time this weekend so I'll get to work on those jumper mock ups some members have asked for. For my money, I reckon a return to the bold, unbroken hoops would be a winner with the logo acting as an adornment, not the centerpiece. Check back here over the weekend and see what you think.

Murphy'sLore
18-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Good luck, Costa! Keep us posted!

Costa
21-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Hey all. Had a go at a Doggies jumper that incorporates elements of the logo I designed.

Instead of shrinking the whole logo down I've created a smaller simpler secondary logo from the Bulldog's face and the motto scroll. I think it's just a bit cleaner and has more impact in this context.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2770/5741861245_8119b2b244_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2054/5742414198_baa0eda4e2_b.jpg

Of course you all know the jumper... I think having a bold unbroken band around the chest is a a far stronger look.

(Sorry I forgot to add the FFC on the back - might even be something to add to the mini logo on the front)

Hotdog60
21-05-2011, 07:14 PM
This I like very much, not a fan of the dog across the front. Call me a traditionalist.:)

Costa
21-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Cheers Hotdog60. I'm with you - footy jumpers are best kept strong and simple. A few posters wanted me to incorporate a new logo on the old jumper so I had a bash.

AndrewP6
21-05-2011, 09:06 PM
I'd take off "Cede Nullis" and put the FFC 1883 there. And put the logo on the top left.

AndrewP6
21-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Costa, I like your work. Personally, I'd prefer the stripes as they had for that heritage jumper (and similar to the training tops).

EasternWest
21-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Cheers Hotdog60. I'm with you - footy jumpers are best kept strong and simple. A few posters wanted me to incorporate a new logo on the old jumper so I had a bash.

Can I be "that guy" Costa and ask if you're actually a Dogs fan or are you visiting all supporter forums with this proposition for business reasons alone?

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with either answer, but I am curious.

Pickenitup
21-05-2011, 10:01 PM
LOve the Jumper lets make this happen!

GVGjr
21-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Can I be "that guy" Costa and ask if you're actually a Dogs fan or are you visiting all supporter forums with this proposition for business reasons alone?

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with either answer, but I am curious.

FYI, Costa certainly did the right thing by the forum and contacted me beforehand explaining that he wanted to work with the group here to develop a Bulldogs logo. I was more than happy for him to add his designs and get the feedback from the WOOF members.
I never thought to ask if he was a Dogs supporter because I was sure he wasn't and given his website (there is a link in the opening post) I guess he will contact other forums from time to time.

EasternWest
21-05-2011, 10:04 PM
FYI, Costa certainly did the right thing by the forum and contacted me beforehand explaining that he wanted to work with the group here to develop a Bulldogs logo. I was more than happy for him to add his designs and get the feedback from the WOOF members.
I never thought to ask if he was a Dogs supporter because I was sure he wasn't and given his website (there is a link in the opening post) I guess he will contact other forums from time to time.

Like I said, no problem with any of that.

I can't think of many places to get better feedback than from dedicated fans on a site like this.

SonofScray
22-05-2011, 04:33 PM
I'd drop the banner and make the 2nd logo smaller. Looks a bit too big to my eyes there. Alternatively I'd be thinking of mucking around with an FFC monogram or something similar.

soupman
23-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Personally, I'd prefer the stripes as they had for that heritage jumper (and similar to the training tops).

This. Two big, strong stripes look fantastic.

LostDoggy
24-05-2011, 12:44 AM
I'd take off "Cede Nullis" and put the FFC 1883 there. And put the logo on the top left.

Take it off, it stood for nothing against WC

bornadog
24-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Costa, that jumper is going back to the 70's. Personally I prefer the pre 70's jumper with the broken lines, but thicker than what we use to have.

Here is the 50's style

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/HeritageGuernsey08.jpg

bornadog
24-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Costa, here is Teddy wearing it. If we can improve on this, likke wider stripes I think it would look great.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/scanho8-1.jpg

The Pie Man
24-05-2011, 10:57 AM
^^

I've got both heritage jumpers (as in the thick stripes we wore in 04 and 05 - I've got the one vs Richmond in 05 when Boyd kicked 'that' goal at the end of the 3rd quarter) and the one we wore against Carlton a few years ago with the thinner stripes, and I honestly prefer the way the thinner striped version looks.

Having said all that, the jumper Costa is proposing is a massive improvement on our current gear, and I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Is it just my screen, or does the red look a little pink? I swear the Melbourne red this year is really pink, which I'd hate if I was a Dees fan

Kelso @ Mt Eliza
24-05-2011, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE=bornadog;216672]Costa, here is Teddy wearing it. If we can improve on this, likke wider stripes I think it would look great.

with you bornadog - love the older design....

I was at the Ted Whitten bar at the Telstra Dome during the Richmond Game and was admiring the old Whitten jumper behind the display glass. I was wearing an 80's jumper.. my nephew was wearing the new robodog jumper.. we all took a vote and the 50's version won hands down..
In saying that though.. i do like the revamped one costa has done here too.

Well done again Costa - you have achieved something that is really special here - hope it get's off the ground. either design is a great improvement on our current robodog...

Grantysghost
24-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Wild idea i know, but i like this one.

http://images.triplem.com.au/2010/10/29/480340/WesternBulldogs-blog.jpg

LostDoggy
24-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Wild idea i know, but i like this one.

http://images.triplem.com.au/2010/10/29/480340/WesternBulldogs-blog.jpg
Me too !

Costa
24-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback on the jumper. I think you've got very strong traditional strips that would look great on the field today. Personally, I'm not sure the jumper needs a logo at all, but I thought I'd mock something up in response to a request by a forum member.

Thought you'd be interested to hear I received a letter today from Simon Garlick in response to the submission I sent the club a week ago.

First up, I was really impressed that Simon took the time to write up such a detailed and personalised reply and that he got it back to me so quickly. The guy must have a lot on his plate and his response was a heck of a lot more than the 'thanks but no thanks' pro forma spiel I was expecting. Class act.

Simon talked about how repositioning the Bulldogs brand was an "absolute key focus area of [the club's] 2011 - 2015 Business Plan". He also emphasised that the club plans to involve the membership in the ongoing process 'to make the most informed strategic decision possible.'

Sound like they're going to go about this the right way and not spring something on you out of the blue Brisbane-style.

Basically Simon acknowledged that the current branding needs to change and it's going to be a long term inclusive process. They've taken some notice of what I sent through and they're going to throw it into the mix during their planning sessions.

EasternWest asked whether I supported the Doggies. Fair question. No I do not. I just strongly feel that the current Bulldogs logo doesn't quite nail the club's spirit and tradition.

For what it's worth this is the first time I've reached out to to a club's online forum for help in developing a new logo. I learnd a lot. Everyone's comments have been extremely constructive and intelligent. I think that the final artwork came out much, much stronger that the first draft I lobbed here because of your thoughtful suggestions. Thank you for having me on board, and big thanks to GVGjr for giving me the green light.

EasternWest
24-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Good on you Costa. You put a lot into the jumper, and I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Thanks for your honesty, and good luck in future!

(sounds pro-forma, but I mean it :))

Costa
24-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Cheers EasternWest :) Thanks for the kind words!

Wasn't expecting the Club to jump on board and change their logo on the basis of a proposal that dropped on them from out of nowhere... that wouldn't be realistic or prudent on their behalf. But then again, Simon's letter didn't exactly close the book on the new design. He spoke positively about the general submission and raised the possibility of having a chat down the track, so who knows?

The good news is that a) the Club recognises a lot of what you guys have been saying about your logo and broader image, and b) they're going to do something about it in a way that's open and honest. I'm sure a lot of people will be involved in shaping the final logo design, so keep an eye out for how you can get directly involved with your ideas.

(Just in case anyone hasn't seen what I sent through)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5108/5679226091_60b62c3ca9_z.jpg

LostDoggy
24-05-2011, 10:55 PM
I've always thought it would be great on the back of the jumper underneath the number to have

..............SONS OF THE WEST............................

SonofScray
18-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Saw this onbigfooty (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/new-western-bulldogs-logo.962267/), poster claims it is on the ATMOSS site. Would expect this is something that pops up soon enough if that is the case:
http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/tmimages/cgi-bin/get_tmi_image.pl?list=1497769.1&resolution=med

Scraggers
18-07-2012, 11:28 PM
I like it ... Would prefer if the dog was facing forward ... But is a vast improvement on Robo-Dog.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-07-2012, 01:05 AM
I like it too -- much improved on robodog.

I'd imagine this would be a hit with the kids, too.

jeemak
19-07-2012, 02:32 AM
I like the backing, but I'd prefer the Bulldog to be looking front on rather than to the side.

And I'd also prefer the shield behind it to be completely square rather than contorted.

For mine, the shield needs to be the point of solidarity. Strong, bold and solid as if it was our main point of tradition and solidarity. Our mascot shouldn't be as prominant as it is in this most recent casting.

Anyway, thanks for posting. I really like the fact people are out there working on it.

The Pie Man
19-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Saw this onbigfooty (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/new-western-bulldogs-logo.962267/), poster claims it is on the ATMOSS site. Would expect this is something that pops up soon enough if that is the case:
http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/tmimages/cgi-bin/get_tmi_image.pl?list=1497769.1&resolution=med

Mark Stevens just tweeted this image as well - then the club came out and said that with the change to the hoops that the logo is also being reviewed, but no final decision has been made.

Seems it's farewell to robo-dog in any case.

anfo27
19-07-2012, 06:43 PM

i like the bulldog in this version & overall I think its great. Costas version looked ok but i didn't like the bulldog at all. The latest one the bulldog looks stronger & tougher & has that don't mess with me look.

bulldogsman
19-07-2012, 07:52 PM
i like the bulldog in this version & overall I think its great. Costas version looked ok but i didn't like the bulldog at all. The latest one the bulldog looks stronger & tougher & has that don't mess with me look.

This. I really like it.

G-Mo77
19-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Yeah I saw this one earlier. I really like it. :)

comrade
21-07-2012, 02:23 AM
It needs more red. Too much blue, in my opinion.

boydogs
21-07-2012, 03:32 AM

The writing is red on our current logo, works well

chef
21-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Like the Robodog better, I will be sad to see it go.

F'scary
22-07-2012, 01:15 PM

top point.

F'scary
22-07-2012, 01:16 PM
The writing is red on our current logo, works well

That would balance it up perfectly, red-wise

Doc26
22-07-2012, 09:57 PM
Don't like the Robodog looking teeth. Too contrived / artificial for my liking. Not up to the old FFC 'Proud' Bulldog but an improvement on Robodog.

Webby
02-12-2013, 10:06 AM
I learned something interesting yesterday. The updated club logo that was registered by the club, but then heavily leaked in 2012 has been put on the scrap heap. Also, due to the leak, club merchandise sales have dropped off. Obviously no one wanting to buy too much gear with what they realised was a soon to be obsolete 'Robo-dog' logo. Therefore the release of the new logo won't happen until 2015. Basically the inventory they had to run down will take two years rather than just one.

The club are keeping the new (or newer!) logo much closer to their chests this time. Lesson learned, I guess! My mail is that the logo will be more 'classic'. This was explained as more of an updated 'throwback' to the old bulldog with the footy between its legs. To me it sounds promising, because although I'm no Robo-dog fan, I wasn't 100% sold on the 2012 leaked version. The old Dog with flag in its mouth with a bit of a polish up would be my choice.

Anyway, looks like we'll have to wait, but sounds like it'll be worth it.

BulldogBelle
02-12-2013, 04:35 PM
I like Robodog. It looks lean, mean, uncompromising and waiting for a fight. It is evil and scary-looking.

Come on you guys, you don't want a logo of a fairy dog, or one that looks like an old man or something you can cuddle and pat. Like a good doggie.

You want something that is going to kill and rip 'em to bits. Stick with Robodog.

Cede Nullis - Give 'em nothin'.

BulldogBelle
02-12-2013, 05:00 PM
That new design is absolutely fantastic and I am all over it. Everyone I have shown loves it as well.