PDA

View Full Version : Channel One Tonight - Year of the Dog Doco

Doc26
13-02-2011, 12:56 PM
Not sure if this has been commented elsewhere but for those interested have just noticed that channel ONE has scheduled a re-airing of the Year of the Dog Doco at 8:30 tonight.

Edit: Thanks for the correction & my apologies, should read ONE, not SBS.

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Not sure if this has been commented elsewhere but for those interested have just noticed that SBS One have scheduled a re-airing of the Year of the Dog Doco at 8:30 tonight.

Its on ONE HD, not SBS One :)

chef
13-02-2011, 01:01 PM
It's on ONE HD(one of TEN's other channels)

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Am looking forward to it as is my son up in Qld

The Underdog
13-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Can someone let the Hun know that there is going to be live footage of semi-naked footballers drunk in front of supporters on TV tonight? It should fill the back page tomorrow.

Greystache
13-02-2011, 09:19 PM
It's going to be interesting with the film showing again tonight, some people won't have seen it and it will get people talking about it again. Steve Wallis isn't painted in a particularly flattering light, and with Mitch now in the AFL, I wonder if some people will look at Mitch more harshly.

mjp
13-02-2011, 09:44 PM
It's going to be interesting with the film showing again tonight, some people won't have seen it and it will get people talking about it again. Steve Wallis isn't painted in a particularly flattering light, and with Mitch now in the AFL, I wonder if some people will look at Mitch more harshly.

Really?

I have the dvd at home GS and would have watched it 50 times. I would have said that Wallis' came across well. If you are referring to the 'Can you guys turn that thing off for a minute' line - which was followed by the players going to the board with a vote of no confidence in Alan Joyce...well, it isn't as if a change wasn't needed.

I generally hate it when players speak out about coaches and coaching (players should play, coaches should coach) but when you are sinking like a stone, out of money and the coach is devoid of ideas, what else is the captain to do?

I know Wallace is a pariah on here - and had the extent of his posturing for the job in 1996 been covered by the docco makers he would be even more hated - but anyone who says they didn't enjoy the run from late 96 through 2000 when we were continually in contention, hated by everyone and in the media all the time - is not being honest...apart from our current run under Eade (3 prelims in 3 years) the Wallace tenure was the most enjoyable period as a dogs fan.

Doc26
13-02-2011, 10:05 PM

Wouldn't think so GS.
To the contrary, Steve's loyalty & dedication to the Club is unquestionable, as is his high standing.
Can't see any mud sticking although take your point that many new fans may not appreciate the history and context that goes with it.

Ghost Dog
13-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Wasn't that interested in AFL until I watched this Doco at the Astor. Have been a Bulldogs fan - member ever since.

azabob
13-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Wasn't that interested in AFL until I watched this Doco at the Astor. Have been a Bulldogs fan - member ever since.

Really? What made you see it and what year did you see it?

lemmon
13-02-2011, 10:34 PM
A lot of things can be said about Plough but I think he was important in shedding the perrenial under dog tag that lived amongst not only the supporters but more damagingly among the group and inner sanctum itself.

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 10:45 PM
F ing 10, One and eleven down my street is stuffed. Little to no reception.

Greystache
13-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Really?

I have the dvd at home GS and would have watched it 50 times. I would have said that Wallis' came across well. If you are referring to the 'Can you guys turn that thing off for a minute' line - which was followed by the players going to the board with a vote of no confidence in Alan Joyce...well, it isn't as if a change wasn't needed.

I generally hate it when players speak out about coaches and coaching (players should play, coaches should coach) but when you are sinking like a stone, out of money and the coach is devoid of ideas, what else is the captain to do?

I know Wallace is a pariah on here - and had the extent of his posturing for the job in 1996 been covered by the docco makers he would be even more hated - but anyone who says they didn't enjoy the run from late 96 through 2000 when we were continually in contention, hated by everyone and in the media all the time - is not being honest...apart from our current run under Eade (3 prelims in 3 years) the Wallace tenure was the most enjoyable period as a dogs fan.

I'm not saying change wasn't needed, and that the result wasn't good for the club in the long run. I'm probably one of the few on here that rated the job Wallace did for us highly and can even understand walking away when he did.

What I'm saying about this film is it's obvious Wallis united the players to oust the coach. Scott Wynd was captain in 96 but he didn't led the push. I know quite a few senior players weren't particularly happy with what went on behind the scenes, and I think your casual observer who doesn't know Wallis particularly well would watch the film and see him as a backstabber.

LostDoggy
13-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Watching this again tonight, makes me proud to be a Bulldog.

We have come a long way in 15 years.

w3design
13-02-2011, 10:53 PM
I saw this doco the week before THAT PF:( and found it absolutely unbelievable that in 12 short months the club had been so transformed. 97 was in so many ways one of the best years ever to follow the dogs if we could only edit out the horror ending. Such low expectations at the start of the year and then the giddy ride to being a top 4 team and real contender. I can't remember a year where I loved going to the footy so much, every week was sheer joy, and our win v Sydney in first week of the finals should be one of my most cherished memories if it wasn't so painfully tarnished by the events 2 weeks later.

The emergence of so many players that would be our nucleus for a golden era (well by our standards..we have been a top 4 team for an impressive number of the years since 96) made 97 special after the bleak season so well documented in this great film. We all loathe Wallace now but he really has to have credit..I don't think there are many transformations as breathtaking as that one and it was not due to incredible new recruits or draft picks, just getting the best out of the same class as 96 in the main. Goddammit that was the one that got away !

Greystache
13-02-2011, 11:02 PM
This film also has to make you admire Chris Grant even more (if possible), he had an opportunity to leave a crumbling disaster of a club, for more money, and to go to what was supposed to the new superpower of the AFL, yet he stayed anyway.

Ghost Dog
13-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Really? What made you see it and what year did you see it?

Must have been 10 years ago now.98 or 99
I've always loved an underdog! It's a great movie.
I lived in the west (kingsville ) at the time, so just seemed like a good way to get into the community.

anfo27
13-02-2011, 11:17 PM
Its the first time i have seen that since it was released all those years ago. It brings back a lot of memories and makes me think what a great job Smorgan has done in his time as president. The difference is night and day.
Does anyone know how Shaun Baxter i doing these days?

The Adelaide Connection
14-02-2011, 01:29 AM
If anyone missed it or would just like to download it PM me and I will point you in the direction of a torrent.

I have mentioned this elsewhere, but I was formerly a Fitzroy supporter and was only young when they 'merged' but still had no love for the new Brisbane Lions entity. At a guess I think it was seeing this documentary (moreso than my love of Central Districts in the SANFL) that made me slowly gravitate to Footscray. Fantastic.

chef
14-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Its the first time i have seen that since it was released all those years ago. It brings back a lot of memories and makes me think what a great job Smorgan has done in his time as president. The difference is night and day.
Does anyone know how Shaun Baxter i doing these days?

He was on one of those reality TV shows like Gladiator not long ago and is 100% fit and healthy.

LostDoggy
14-02-2011, 08:42 AM
He was on one of those reality TV shows like Gladiator not long ago and is 100% fit and healthy.

Thanks Chef, I was also wondering that after watching a part of the doco last night. Good news indeed!

Ozza
14-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Great doco. I remember seeing it at the cinema (Highpoint, Maribyrnong of course!) in 1997. I reckon we had beaten Sydney in the first week of the finals - and it hit the cinemas between the first final and the prelim (in our week off).

Have it on DVD so have probably watched it 10 in full - but the Wallace "Spew up" speech, and Rick Kennedy's speech 50 times each.....

Murphy'sLore
14-02-2011, 10:46 AM

Snap, Ghost Dog. This was the single experience that sucked me into the footy vortex.

(Though marrying into a Bulldogs-loving family didn't hurt either ;))

I saw it at the Sydney Film Festival, I think it might even have been the first public screening. I didn't even realise it was about football until it started, if I'd known I probably wouldn't have gone to the session! But I was completely gripped by the unfolding drama.

Perhaps, as a writer, I really needed to see the narrative potential of football before I could get hooked.

Twodogs
14-02-2011, 11:20 AM
We all loathe Wallace now but he really has to have credit..I don't think there are many transformations as breathtaking as that one and it was not due to incredible new recruits or draft picks, just getting the best out of the same class as 96 in the main.

I dont and I never have. Sure the manner of his departure was messy but it came at the right time and in my opinion Wallace is still one of the greats of our club. He gave 100% as a player and a coach over nearly 15 years.

As a player he never left anything on the field and as a coach he took as from an underacheiving self doubting group of individuals to a coherent successful team. We were good for him and he was good for us.

I hold Terry Wallace in very high regard and I'm grateful for the contribution he made to us.

LostDoggy
14-02-2011, 11:23 AM
I dont and I never have. Sure the manner of his departure was messy but it came at the right time and in my opinion Wallace is still one of the greats of our club. He gave 100% as a player and a coach over nearly 15 years.

As a player he never left anything on the field and as a coach he took as from an underacheiving self doubting group of individuals to a coherent successful team. We were good for him and he was good for us.

I hold Terry Wallace in very high regard and I'm grateful for the contribution he made to us.

This

Bulldog Revolution
14-02-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm not saying change wasn't needed, and that the result wasn't good for the club in the long run. I'm probably one of the few on here that rated the job Wallace did for us highly and can even understand walking away when he did.

What I'm saying about this film is it's obvious Wallis united the players to oust the coach. Scott Wynd was captain in 96 but he didn't led the push. I know quite a few senior players weren't particularly happy with what went on behind the scenes, and I think your casual observer who doesn't know Wallis particularly well would watch the film and see him as a backstabber.

Its obvious the doco has been cut to portray Wallis as one of the main behind the scenes men, but what is absolute clear from the doco is that Steve Wallis was one of the most respected senior players at the Club, and a key member leadership group, albeit not officially captain.

Watching Year of the Dogs makes me wonder how Alan Joyce was ever a senior coach, and when you look at that group of players and how much talent was there 1996 was an unmitigated disaster. The real disappointment for me is that Wheeler was not around to coach the very talented side he had assembled.

I think Wallis and the players expressed an honest opinion to the board - that the coach was rudderless. It would have been easier for them not to. I do not think history will judge Steve Wallis harshly on this point. A generation of players in Smith, Grant, Johnson, West, Darcy all looked up to the example that Steve Wallis has set on and off the field, and another generation of players has been influenced by them.

Sometimes senior players will be unhappy and thats just life. What cannot be argued is that Joyce had to go for the sake of the club. I dont think Wallis has anything to be sorry for.

chef
14-02-2011, 12:00 PM

This^^^.

I thought his apology(to the Bulldogs) at his press conference when steeping down as Richmond coach as great as well.

Sockeye Salmon
14-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Its obvious the doco has been cut to portray Wallis as one of the main behind the scenes men, but what is absolute clear from the doco is that Steve Wallis was one of the most respected senior players at the Club, and a key member leadership group, albeit not officially captain.

Watching Year of the Dogs makes me wonder how Alan Joyce was ever a senior coach, and when you look at that group of players and how much talent was there 1996 was an unmitigated disaster. The real disappointment for me is that Wheeler was not around to coach the very talented side he had assembled.

I think Wallis and the players expressed an honest opinion to the board - that the coach was rudderless. It would have been easier for them not to. I do not think history will judge Steve Wallis harshly on this point. A generation of players in Smith, Grant, Johnson, West, Darcy all looked up to the example that Steve Wallis has set on and off the field, and another generation of players has been influenced by them.

Sometimes senior players will be unhappy and thats just life. What cannot be argued is that Joyce had to go for the sake of the club. I dont think Wallis has anything to be sorry for.

Let's not forget that Alan Joyce won two premierships at Hawthorn and took over from us when we were pretty ordinary early in 94 and took us to the finals in 94-95.

Joyce did not give one iota for what was going to happen tomorrow but he was actually very good at today. He was the perfect person to take over temporarily from Allan Jeans while Jeans was sick but was completely the wrong person for us at the time.

From memory there was a bit of talk around about Tom Hafey coming back and coaching us but we thought he was too old, I would have loved to have had the T-shirted one.

Wheels, as good as he had been up to 92 and completely lost it but the start of 94 and I was calling for his head at the end of 93, you could see the fall coming. Sydney had won one game in 93 and they beat us fairly easily in R1 of the the pre-season cup. Then Geelong and Ablett did a number on us at Easter. Wheels' time was up.

Doc26
14-02-2011, 12:07 PM

Largely based on what went down with Wallace's departure I will find it very hard to categorise him as one of our Greats, not close, although prior to his exit I was more than pleased to be a part of the spoils that he no doubt contributed to. During his time he did play a significant part in elevating the Club's standing even if he did eventually sell us out for personal reward.

btw Did have a laugh listening to Greg Denham last week claiming that Wallace really never had a good chance at Richmond because they didn't have the finances to pull together a decent football department, the primary reason he was giving at the time for leaving the Bulldogs.

Ghost Dog
14-02-2011, 01:54 PM
If anyone missed it or would just like to download it PM me and I will point you in the direction of a torrent.

I have mentioned this elsewhere, but I was formerly a Fitzroy supporter and was only young when they 'merged' but still had no love for the new Brisbane Lions entity. At a guess I think it was seeing this documentary (moreso than my love of Central Districts in the SANFL) that made me slowly gravitate to Footscray. Fantastic.

Yes would love that torrent please. Cheers
TAC

Ghost Dog
14-02-2011, 01:58 PM

Id' like to see him at the club sometime. That would be fitting.

Maddog37
14-02-2011, 04:13 PM
First time I have seen any of the doco. The things that stood out to me were how underrated bubba smith was and how young johno looked yet still shuffled when he ran.

Off field wise, I could nt believe the amount of schlongs on show and just how totally in love with the camera Terry Wallace was. The man should have been an actor.

ledge
14-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Largely based on what went down with Wallace's departure I will find it very hard to categorise him as one of our Greats, not close, although prior to his exit I was more than pleased to be a part of the spoils that he no doubt contributed to. During his time he did play a significant part in elevating the Club's standing even if he did eventually sell us out for personal reward.

btw Did have a laugh listening to Greg Denham last week claiming that Wallace really never had a good chance at Richmond because they didn't have the finances to pull together a decent football department, the primary reason he was giving at the time for leaving the Bulldogs.

Also refused the Hawks job because Richmond had a better list.... then there was Sydney..

LostDoggy
14-02-2011, 05:35 PM
This film also has to make you admire Chris Grant even more (if possible), he had an opportunity to leave a crumbling disaster of a club, for more money, and to go to what was supposed to the new superpower of the AFL, yet he stayed anyway.

And this makes him simply the greatest man alive. :)

BornInDroopSt'54
14-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Year of the Dog 2
Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore involved as the Bulldogs fight to gloriously claim premiership flag against the odds.

LostDoggy
14-02-2011, 08:53 PM
And this makes him simply the greatest man alive. :)

Ditto BornAScragger.......a great man with principles, loyalty and incredible skill on the field. They should give him that Brownlow he won!

AndrewP6
14-02-2011, 10:38 PM
I hadn't seen the doco for a long time, was glad to tune in last night. Great to see the inner workings of the club, and the cameraderie amongst the boys. Was talking to a mate at work (Filth fan), who hadn't seen it, and he was remarking how much times had changed. Seemingly little things, like the fact that players were in 'casual' gear during meetings (was it Richard Osborne in that fetching pink fleecy number?:eek: )... and the way the players seemed to just shower and leave afterwards (the comment "see you back at the social club":) Notice Plough went from a pink singlet, to a suit and tie once he took over?

I was impressed with the heart shown by the likes of Libba, Southo, Wally and Grant, even as the club was down, you could tell they were doing everything to change things. Great film, thanks for the heads up about it!

The Adelaide Connection
14-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Just a heads up, Channel One are backing up from last night by playing the NAB cup final from last year. It is 1am hewre in SA (assume it would be the same over there) so may want to set the recorder.

Bulldog Revolution
15-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Let's not forget that Alan Joyce won two premierships at Hawthorn and took over from us when we were pretty ordinary early in 94 and took us to the finals in 94-95.

Joyce did not give one iota for what was going to happen tomorrow but he was actually very good at today. He was the perfect person to take over temporarily from Allan Jeans while Jeans was sick but was completely the wrong person for us at the time.

From memory there was a bit of talk around about Tom Hafey coming back and coaching us but we thought he was too old, I would have loved to have had the T-shirted one.

Wheels, as good as he had been up to 92 and completely lost it but the start of 94 and I was calling for his head at the end of 93, you could see the fall coming. Sydney had won one game in 93 and they beat us fairly easily in R1 of the the pre-season cup. Then Geelong and Ablett did a number on us at Easter. Wheels' time was up.

Joyce inherited a great side at Hawthorn, and part of me wonders how much he actually had an impact with them. But you could be right that he was a good coach for a veteran group. Clearly the editing in Year of the Dogs made Joyce look like a guy who couldn't communicate and seemed to have few ideas - basically a man at the end. How much that reflects reality I dont know.

I think we made the finals in 94-95 because we had quite a lot of talent, and not because of Joyces coaching. Now maybe thats unfair, but I think Joyce inherited a far superior playing list than the general public might have thought and that group, similar to the one Wallace got, had enough talent to rise.

Whether Wheelers time was up I dont know. Sometimes teams have a down year under a perfectly good coach. If given a choice I would have have stuck with Wheeler rather than hire Joyce because I was more convinced he was the right person to coach. Sometimes I think you have to let a coach, learn on the job and experience some tougher times, but you only do that if you think they are the right person for the job. There are many examples of current coaches who have been through tougher times and emerged the other side with their coaching reputations in tact. I think we were too quick to pull the trigger on Wheeler.

Scraggers
15-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Just a heads up, Channel One are backing up from last night by playing the NAB cup final from last year. It is 1am hewre in SA (assume it would be the same over there) so may want to set the recorder.

Got home at 3:30pm yesterday arvo (in Perth) to be pleasantly surprised that the game was on ... it was great to see Barry slot through a lazy seven !!

Desipura
15-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Joyce inherited a great side at Hawthorn, and part of me wonders how much he actually had an impact with them. But you could be right that he was a good coach for a veteran group. Clearly the editing in Year of the Dogs made Joyce look like a guy who couldn't communicate and seemed to have few ideas - basically a man at the end. How much that reflects reality I dont know.

I think we made the finals in 94-95 because we had quite a lot of talent, and not because of Joyces coaching. Now maybe thats unfair, but I think Joyce inherited a far superior playing list than the general public might have thought and that group, similar to the one Wallace got, had enough talent to rise.

Whether Wheelers time was up I dont know. Sometimes teams have a down year under a perfectly good coach. If given a choice I would have have stuck with Wheeler rather than hire Joyce because I was more convinced he was the right person to coach. Sometimes I think you have to let a coach, learn on the job and experience some tougher times, but you only do that if you think they are the right person for the job. There are many examples of current coaches who have been through tougher times and emerged the other side with their coaching reputations in tact. I think we were too quick to pull the trigger on Wheeler.

A very well known ex player (off the record) said at the time that Wallace met up with the playing group behind Joyce's back and told them "If you get rid of the current coach, I can take you guys where you want to go". This is why Joyce has no respect for Wallace.

Terry did alot of good things for our club, raised our profile (as well as his own) by coming up with new initiatives and getting us within 2 points of a grand final.

Unfortunately he continued to do things behind the scenes as coach of the dogs (agreed to coach the Swans), only this time the supporters of the Swans strongly voted for Roos and Wallace was left without a team to coach.

LostDoggy
15-02-2011, 03:51 PM
I too was wrapped with Wallace when he was our coach, he took us from a rabble to a decent side.
I can't forgive him for how he left us, but will always be thankful for what he did for us while he was coach. So I can forgive him enough to welcome back if he were to be around the club again. When I watched The Year of The Dogs when it was released I never thought anything of Terry being involved with Alan Joyce's demise, but knowing what has happened since then and watching again I view it as Terry backstabbing Joyce.
I also remember watching the movie when it was realeased being a great experience as it was released around the finals I think in 1997, it was great to see where we had come from. If we had still been in that state, the film would have been depressing.

Johno
15-02-2011, 09:16 PM
I remember seeing this as kid with my old man when it came out. I remember being disappointed because there wasn't enough footy shown. :o The whole Wallace/Joyce relationship, the boardroom dealings - all the off-filed stuff in general - went straight over my head. I'd love to see the movie again and judge it from today's perspective.

I would really appreciate the torrent AC.

The Adelaide Connection
15-02-2011, 10:34 PM
I remember seeing this as kid with my old man when it came out. I remember being disappointed because there wasn't enough footy shown. :o The whole Wallace/Joyce relationship, the boardroom dealings - all the off-filed stuff in general - went straight over my head. I'd love to see the movie again and judge it from today's perspective.

I would really appreciate the torrent AC.

No worries mate, I sent the link in a PM. It took me a bloody long time to track it down!
Enjoy :)

Bulldog Revolution
15-02-2011, 10:40 PM
I dont worry about how Terry left the club or about what role he played in getting Joyce axed.
Terrys time with us was up, and he knew it. Maybe Terry just understood his time in the game was limited and wanted to capitalise. Some view him as a mercenary, others might think him somewhat a realist. He wasn't perfect but he got us very close and almost every player you can ever ask will all insist he was a good coach.

I look back fondly at the Wallace years, the 97-98 campaigns were extremely exciting and ultimately heartbreaking but I'd rather them than the pain of 1996 where I felt utterly depressed most of the year.

However, at the end of his time, we sucked, we didn't play the dome well, he didn't play or develop the kids enough

The big problem was that we hired Rhode

Remi Moses
16-02-2011, 12:50 AM

Even wallace is on record as saying he wish he handled his exit from the club better. We all don't want a history lesson but the whole football fraternity were critical of Wallace and his stage managed exit

Remi Moses
16-02-2011, 12:56 AM

beat me to it Allan Joyce was a real gent and a very good coach. He took over in 94 when the club was in disarray and guided us into a finals series in a final we should have won,and then were numerous injuries for the following game. Not saying Wallace wasn't a good coach but Joyce deserves to be remembered as a very good coach

aker39
16-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Just finished watching it.

Not that we didn't already know, but it just reinforced how passionate Libba was and how he bleed for the club.

LostDoggy
16-02-2011, 09:20 AM

Not that we didn't already know, but it just reinforced how passionate Libba was and how he bleed for the club.

Yeah, I think Libba had a heart as big as Pharlap and it beat doubletime for the doggies! Just hope young Tom has 1/2 his father's passion!

Murphy'sLore
16-02-2011, 11:51 AM

Literally.

Jasper
16-02-2011, 01:04 PM
beat me to it Allan Joyce was a real gent and a very good coach. He took over in 94 when the club was in disarray and guided us into a finals series in a final we should have won,and then were numerous injuries for the following game. Not saying Wallace wasn't a good coach but Joyce deserves to be remembered as a very good coach

A very good coach???
Based on?

That doco makes him look incredibly inept, unable to think under pressure, lacking in communication skills to individuals.

I have heard a number of Hawthorn players say blind freddie could have coached them to those premierships they were so talented and so well drilled by Jeans.

Sockeye Salmon
16-02-2011, 02:58 PM
A very good coach???
Based on?

That doco makes him look incredibly inept, unable to think under pressure, lacking in communication skills to individuals.

I have heard a number of Hawthorn players say blind freddie could have coached them to those premierships they were so talented and so well drilled by Jeans.

That's what they said about Essendon in 2001 and Geelong in 2008 and ...

Fact is he did it. Jeans didn't win it in 87 or 90.

Remi Moses
16-02-2011, 03:18 PM
A very good coach???
Based on?

Agree with the first premiership win .
The second was won in adversity winning a final in Perth went in underdog that season with most people thinking West Coast would win it.

Remi Moses
16-02-2011, 03:19 PM
That's what they said about Essendon in 2001 and Geelong in 2008 and ...

Fact is he did it. Jeans didn't win it in 87 or 90.

Agree entirely

kateyt
16-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Hi all,

I would love that torrent too!! Can you please help me out!!

Katey

JohnGentStand
16-02-2011, 09:50 PM
cant believe that steve wallis is copping flack here......
easily the best ON FIELD assassin I have watched as a doggie supporter.....
more knockouts to his name than any other bulldog player I can recall
I hope his boy has a bit of it so i can continue my ' man-crush '

azabob
16-02-2011, 10:06 PM

Is Tony Liberatore your favorite bulldog?

aker39
16-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Is Tony Liberatore your favorite bulldog?

You bet he is

LostDoggy
17-02-2011, 07:13 AM
...'

The hit on Brett Heady has coloured the way Steve Wallis is perceived. As a young player he was thin, elusive and skillful. As he aged, his body thickened and his game became more direct but he was never a Kennedy, West (Mark), Southern, MacPherson, Liberatore, Romero etc.

Toleration of individual over team, the club's curse. If there was a player conspiracy to get rid of Joyce and if Wallis was part of it, then condemnation is justified.

The 1996 team had 2 Brownlow medallists in it and the unluckiest near-Brownlow ever. West, Johnson, Smith, Wallis, Darcy were no slouches. The reason for the team playing so poorly that year has to include, significantly, the character of the players.

Ozza
17-02-2011, 10:17 AM
It was pretty clear in the early stages of the doco that Joyce had lost the players. History tells us it was the correct decision, and regardless of whether Joyce was a good, bad or indifferent coach - in anyone's opinion - the facts are that his time was clearly up at the bulldogs by 1996.

The game passes by many players - and it often passes by coaches too.

Desipura
17-02-2011, 10:22 AM
You bet he is

As an ex umpire Im surprised. Towards the end of his career, he would have been an umpires nightmare with some of his tactics off the ball.

ledge
17-02-2011, 11:17 AM
As an ex umpire Im surprised. Towards the end of his career, he would have been an umpires nightmare with some of his tactics off the ball.

Maybe he was a dirty bugger but always said please and thank you to the umpires, giving the nice guy image on the front line:D

aker39
17-02-2011, 11:50 AM

He did win a brownlow:)

He gave me hell one day. I spent the entire 3rd quarter seperating him and Jeff Farmer.

Desipura
17-02-2011, 11:54 AM

He gave me hell one day. I spent the entire 3rd quarter seperating him and Jeff Farmer.
I did say at the end of his career. ;)

ledge
17-02-2011, 12:54 PM

You coudnt report Farmer for hitting libbers fingers with his eye or something like that?

Greystache
17-02-2011, 01:11 PM

If his career continues the way it's started then Easton Wood is a chance to blow Wallis' record as the best on field assassin to pieces. Wood's currently getting a victim every second game (including when playing for Williamstown).

LostDoggy
17-02-2011, 05:33 PM

Conversely Paul Kelly was more concerned with his "on his balls" tactics:p

Ghost Dog
19-02-2011, 12:52 AM
What's the story with Libba and the club these days. Has everyone buried the hatchet?
Hope so

The Coon Dog
19-02-2011, 06:16 AM
What's the story with Libba and the club these days. Has everyone buried the hatchet?
Hope so

Tony Liberatore patches up rift with Bulldogs (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5273)

LostDoggy
22-02-2011, 02:30 AM

The hit on Brett Heady has coloured the way Steve Wallis is perceived. As a young player he was thin, elusive and skillful. As he aged, his body thickened and his game became more direct but he was never a Kennedy, West (Mark), Southern, MacPherson, Liberatore, Romero etc.

I'm with JohnGentStand.

Wally cleaned up more with his hip and shoulder than any other Bulldog in recent times. He nailed Paul Couch twice in one game coming off the square at Kardina Park and I can distinctly remember hearing the first hit from my spot on the boundary line.

It was like music to my ears. I had something of a man-crush on Wallis myself.

Of course, if his son does play like that, then he'll be spending five to seven week periods on the sidelines throughout his career. The head was not quite so sacrosanct back in the day.

Patient Scragger
11-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Looking for a link to a (working) torrent for Year of the Dog. Does anyone have one?

The Adelaide Connection
11-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Looking for a link to a (working) torrent for Year of the Dog. Does anyone have one?

This site has it and it works.

http://aus.sierules.com/

westdog54
16-10-2011, 02:06 AM

The moment where his name is put in the 'no' column on the whiteboard is one of those real 'oh my god' moments.

Mitcha
16-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Does anyone know whether this can be purchased on DVD?

Bulldog4life
16-10-2011, 11:49 AM

I have it on video, not sure about DVD.

bornadog
16-10-2011, 12:08 PM

http://www.roninfilms.com.au/feature/551.html

Topdog
16-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Was going to put up that link as well BAD. Dunno if it is DVD though.

ebay has the following, not sure how legit it is

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370533613234#ht_2254wt_1163

bornadog
16-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Was going to put up that link as well BAD. Dunno if it is DVD though.

ebay has the following, not sure how legit it is

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370533613234#ht_2254wt_1163

Yeah its a DVD, but the ebay one is good value with the tripple set. I may bid for it before you do.:D

EasternWest
17-10-2011, 01:44 PM

I got it on DVD a few years ago for 6 bucks at kmart.

LostDoggy
17-10-2011, 01:55 PM
You bet he is

And mine