PDA

View Full Version : Zeno Tzatzaris

LostDoggy
15-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Wondering if anyone can give me a bit of a run down on Zeno and what he was like as a player.

I had a chance encounter with Zeno on Friday night and had a great chat, but deliberately did not talk about the doggies as I felt like a bit of a tool as I was wearing my Bulldogs Polo at the time.

Top bloke and a great character, you know the kind you want to have a beer with. Was with some mates who travelled to Bali with him and the stories were very funny.

Unfortunately I was not at all into football back when he was playing so have no idea what he was like.

Cheers,

DS

Ghost Dog
15-02-2011, 11:47 PM
From Mofra

Zeno Tsatsaris: Parkside boy whose pre-game routine of yoghurt & garlic always meant he'd ne easy to sniff out

LostDoggy
15-02-2011, 11:52 PM
From Mofra

Zeno Tsatsaris: Parkside boy whose pre-game routine of yoghurt & garlic always meant he'd ne easy to sniff out

Nice!

AndrewP6
16-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Made the Parkside FC Team of the Century in 2003.

BulldogBelle
16-02-2011, 12:30 AM
One time we were playing Carlton at Waverley and getting a routine thrashing, he was at fullback and watching another shot for goal sail past - but for once they missed and I called out 'Well done Zeno!!' and someone laughed, so that was memorable for me :o

I think at the time he was playing we were not travelling too well so there was a bit of pressure on the backline.....

Desipura
16-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Cmon TCD, where is your writeup. :D
Zeno once kept Ablett to one goal at Kardinia Park. Surname is spelt Tzatzaris

ledge
16-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Zeno,TCD and I were mates as kids, I can remember he was quick, taught me to ride a bike I taught him chess(no we werent nerds).
To be honest, last thing I ever thought he would do was end up playing VFL , not because he wasnt any good , he didnt play it as a kid.
Lost contact with him after he moved from Braybrook to Keilor(primary to high school) next thing I know he was at the Doggies.
Dont know what age he got into football, but we did play cricket together.
As a footballer he was quite a big boy, fast for his build, was fullback and copped all the great fullforwards of the time in a side that struggled but held his own against most.
Often wondered what he would have been like up forward once in a while, not sure he ever did though.

LostDoggy
16-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the Info.

I understand that Zeno is working as a personal trainer even though he seems to be suffering from knee/joint issue as a result of playing AFL.

He looks like my grandfather when getting up out of a chair, presumably because his joint seized up.

On another note I know Scotty Wynd had massive knee degeneration at the end of his career. Has anyone seen or cought up with him and know how he is getting on?.

bulldogsfight
16-02-2011, 12:01 PM
from memeory he got 3 brownlow votes aganst Geelong

Jasper
16-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Wondering if anyone can give me a bit of a run down on Zeno and what he was like as a player.

I had a chance encounter with Zeno on Friday night and had a great chat, but deliberately did not talk about the doggies as I felt like a bit of a tool as I was wearing my Bulldogs Polo at the time.

Top bloke and a great character, you know the kind you want to have a beer with. Was with some mates who travelled to Bali with him and the stories were very funny.

Unfortunately I was not at all into football back when he was playing so have no idea what he was like.

Cheers,

DS

This is probably not a compliment, but I would describe him as a poor mans Presti.
Excellent defensive side to his game.
Could stick to an opponent like glue.
Use of the footy or any creativity was pretty much non-existent!!

JohnGentStand
16-02-2011, 08:18 PM
ripping bloke, I used to live with his brother! A lot of great parties I managed to stagger through by association!....Oh, and if you had wanted to talk footy with him, wouldnt have been a problem....honest answers and still loves the bullies. I havent seen him for a fair while, hope he is doing well.

ledge
16-02-2011, 08:59 PM
ripping bloke, I used to live with his brother! A lot of great parties I managed to stagger through by association!....Oh, and if you had wanted to talk footy with him, wouldnt have been a problem....honest answers and still loves the bullies. I havent seen him for a fair while, hope he is doing well.

You lived with stephen? how is he?

JohnGentStand
16-02-2011, 09:05 PM
havent seen steve in ages either! that was a fair while ago,
I know Maria is still in Germany & just had a bub.....

ledge
16-02-2011, 09:22 PM
I think Zeno was back living in the old house in braybrook for a while not sure now though.

JohnGentStand
16-02-2011, 09:36 PM
I think Zeno was back living in the old house in braybrook for a while not sure now though.

ahhh ' the Melon Bar ' I remember it well :D

ledge
16-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Thats where i learnt to ride a bike up that drive way and his mum pinching my cheek, then years on his name painted on the roof lmao

Drunken Bum
16-02-2011, 10:15 PM

tipping that we might of had a beer or two at some point then

You lived with stephen? how is he?

Last i saw him he had just closed his Pizza shop in Strathmore, prob a good 10yrs ago now though, not sure what he was doing after that

JohnGentStand
16-02-2011, 10:23 PM
tipping that we might of had a beer or two at some point then

Last i saw him he had just closed his Pizza shop in Strathmore, prob a good 10yrs ago now though, not sure what he was doing after that

good chance we have....:) perhaps @ a jungle party or something similar!

the pizza shop was about the last time for me also....

The Coon Dog
16-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Any chance one of the mods can amend the thread title to spell Zeno's surname correctly? It's Tzatzaris.

ledge
16-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Aww come on TCD I like it.. we let your practice march stay.

The Coon Dog
16-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Aww come on TCD I like it.. we let your practice march stay.

Took me 4 days to work out what everyone was on about. :o

Just don't like seeing names spelt incorrectly.

ledge
16-02-2011, 11:27 PM
Gee they listen to you pretty quick , have you got magical powers?

gohardorgohome
17-02-2011, 12:45 AM
I went to school with his brother Steve. Both he and Zeno were really good blokes. Haven't seen either for years. Zeno was real popular guy with the Western Oval crowds..

Desipura
17-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I sat with him last season, we were getting smashed, he still stayed until the end. I mentioned the garlic story, he had a look of surprise that I could recall the article.

LostDoggy
17-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Any chance one of the mods can amend the thread title to spell Zeno's surname correctly? It's Tzatzaris.

Apologies for the error.

Would you believe me if I said I was just trying to make his name more Australian than American?. :)

Thanks to everyone for the info on him as a player.

Seems that he has a bit of cult hero status about him. From what I have seen his jovial personality certainly would have lent itself well to establishing this.

In todays clinical AFL environment its very hard for a player to develop this same sort of public persona.

I guess Cooneys "Burger Ring" Brownlow speech and recent eski lid slide perhaps shows that he has aptitude to secure this crown.

Unfortunately the current AFL landscape has a tight (eski) lid on larger than life personalities in the game and we may never see another Jacko, Capper, or Zeno Tzatzaris.

Cheers,

DS

strebla
17-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Thats where i learnt to ride a bike up that drive way and his mum pinching my cheek, then years on his name painted on the roof lmao

I remember having a chat with Zeno about this as he lived only a few doors up from me legend had it that his dad was so proud when he was picked up by the doggies that he painted his name on the roof of his house. One night having a beer with him and I started talking about it he pissed himself laughing and tells me he did it himself!!!!!

I wonder if the Coon Dog smells one of his wonderfull interviews comming on ??:rolleyes:

ledge
17-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Hey strebla I remember your old man giving me hell once, dads were characters in those days especialliy in that street, had a few run ins, Zenos parents used their own lingo in those days , only way i knew i was in trouble was raised voices and then Zeno said I had to go home.

Desipura
17-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Hey strebla I remember your old man giving me hell once, dads were characters in those days especialliy in that street, had a few run ins, Zenos parents used their own lingo in those days , only way i knew i was in trouble was raised voices and then Zeno said I had to go home.

Are you sure, thats the way our parents spoke just in normal conversation, its called "speaking with passion".
And yes, both my parents are Greek. :D

strebla
17-02-2011, 12:10 PM

Yes it was a very different world back then it so sterile now i could puke!!!!

ledge
17-02-2011, 12:49 PM

Are you sure, thats the way our parents spoke just in normal conversation, its called "speaking with passion".
And yes, both my parents are Greek. :D

Yeah they had a passion alright.. get that little pommy git out of our home:D

Scraggers
17-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Was it Zeno that kicked 10 (or so) goals in the 1988 Reserves Prelim/Grand Final ??

I'm not 100% sure ... I might be confusing him with another player ...

EDIT :- ... Now that I think about it, it may have been Angelo Petraglia ... I'm still usure (HELP !)

Desipura
17-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Was it Zeno that kicked 10 (or so) goals in the 1988 Reserves Prelim/Grand Final ??

I'm not 100% sure ... I might be confusing him with another player ...

EDIT :- ... Now that I think about it, it may have been Angelo Petraglia ... I'm still usure (HELP !)

Daniel Hargreaves kicked 12 in a prelim final in the ressies