PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade happy to wait on deal

The Coon Dog
16-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Jon Ralph - Herald Sun - 16 February

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2011/02/15/1226006/592663-rodney-eade.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade expects to wait until the end of the season before his future at the club is resolved.

Eade is the highest-profile coach out of contract at season's end, having taken the Dogs to three consecutive preliminary finals.

But in Round 21 he will break John Northey's record (315 games) as the longest-serving coach in AFL/VFL history not to have won a premiership.

Eade, 52, said he was in no rush for an answer about his future.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-coach-rodney-eade-happy-to-wait-on-deal/story-e6frf9jf-1226006595647)

ReLoad
16-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Ok, ill play devils advocate here.

So what does Rocket have to do to get another deal? what is his measuring stick for us in a simplistic term: is it make a GF? prelim again? what is considered a pass and re-sign mark?

Murphy'sLore
16-02-2011, 11:56 AM
We need to get to the prelim. But if we don't make a GF because of bad luck with injuries, that wouldn't be Rocket's fault. Of course we need to wait and see how the season pans out but there don't seem to be any signs of the wheels falling off just yet.

(Hope that statement doesn't come back to bite me...)

SlimPickens
16-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Prelim isn't good enough for me, we need to be playing on that one day in October!

I like Rocket as a coach, but he and the team really need to take the next step and i think this year is a good opportunity to do this.

GVGjr
16-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Ok, ill play devils advocate here.

So what does Rocket have to do to get another deal? what is his measuring stick for us in a simplistic term: is it make a GF? prelim again? what is considered a pass and re-sign mark?
In the 8 will get him another 2 years. Out of the 8 might out him under a bit of pressure.
I can't see a reason why he wouldn't get another deal.

bornadog
16-02-2011, 01:42 PM
In the 8 will get him another 2 years. Out of the 8 might out him under a bit of pressure.

Out of the eight may mean time for a change?

Ghost Dog
16-02-2011, 01:46 PM

We love Rodney, because actually, he does look like a bit like a Bulldog.
:D

Rocket, what's your answer to Malthouse and his Roman Phalanx?
How about the D-day pincer movement?
Or the Sir Jhon Monash 'Box'?

Please come up with something and give it a fancy name eh?.

"longest-serving coach in AFL/VFL history not to have won a premiership." well he and the Bulldogs are a good match!

LostDoggy
16-02-2011, 02:03 PM
You would hope that while the final ladder position and finals perfromance are a factor that the decision is made based on Rocket's perfromance across the following key areas.

Leading Selection
Last year, perhaps due the the pressure of expectation I think a lot of us felt that Rocket and the MC were often too conservative, sticking with senior players who were injured or out of form as opposed to bringing in younger players. That being said all of Wood, Jones, Grant and Roughead made considerable strides during the year.

The other selection aspect is trying to ensure the right mix of players are selected to meet the opposition. In previous seasons we have often seemed to go with a best 22 approach not a best for this week approach, especially when compared to StKilda and Collingwood.

Man Management
His half time sprays are infamous as is his habit of yelling at Brian Lake but I think there has to be a question on whether this is acheiving results in having the players take responsibility for thair actions. While several players have flourished under Eade, Lake, Harborw, and Ward for example there are other talented players who have not fulfilled their potential such as Everitt, Hill and Stack. While a lot of that falls to the player one of the coaches role's is to help players reach their potential, it seems with Rocket sometimes players can feel that they have lost his support and they stagnate.

Game Strategy
Over the last three years there have been examples of specific games where Rocket has shown superior tactical flare, eg breaking down Hawthorn's zone at Aurora in 08, or the 09 prelim where had we held to the gameplane we would have beaten St Kilda. However we have not led a major tactical refinement in the last 4 years as each year's top teams have.

Elements of our gameplan have certainly been developed over this time, the strong marking performance of our defense, the use of interlacing runners behind the ball at stoppages, and the rotating leads of our forward line, but we have never yet seemed to have this gel in big games against the top opposition, at least not for four quarters. The three things we definitely need to improve on are our frontal tackling pressure, our protection of the ball carrier, and our forward 50 retention and tackling pressure.

While the above sounds ultra critical I should say I am a big supporter of Rocket and what he has acheived. I would just hope that these are areas that we see some improvements in this year.

Stefcep
16-02-2011, 04:02 PM
^^^ Very well reasoned argument there. But I've had enough of "being reasonable". Harsh I know but I can't help feel Rocket's been outcoached in crucial games last season. The difference b/w prelim and GF is small these days, a kick or two, a key coaching move at the right time. : Prelim or out

LostDoggy
16-02-2011, 05:57 PM
It would be hard (not to mention pretty cruel) to remove a coach who makes 4 prelims in a row -- the nature of how we bow out of finals would be crucial though. A bang and a whimper would just be not good enough.

The other factors to consider are:
- Are the kids coming on? ie. is his list development working and therefore worth persevering with?
- Is there a clear succession plan in place? Who else is available if we're not promoting from within? It's no good getting rid of a reasonably good coach just to go with an unknown or inferior coach (if Malthouse really comes onto the market next year and wants to keep going, it may make for an interesting 'what if'...)
- Off-field dramas

GVGjr
16-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Out of the eight may mean time for a change?

I could live with it but it would apply plenty of pressure I would have thought.

He's done a good job so I think he will get 2 more years

mjp
16-02-2011, 06:27 PM
... talented players who have not fulfilled their potential such as Everitt, Hill and Stack. While a lot of that falls to the player one of the coaches role's is to help players reach their potential, it seems with Rocket sometimes players can feel that they have lost his support and they stagnate.

Nothing since 2007 indicates Everitt is an AFL player.
Nothing EVER indicates Stack is an AFL player.
Hill has not changed his attack on the ball in 4 years...he is who he is.

These guys have not been getting a game because they have not deserved to get a game. Blame Rocket. Blame German. Blame Maple. Blame their parents (in Hill's case). Blame whoever you like...but perhaps they are just flawed and are never going to make it?

ledge
16-02-2011, 07:05 PM
We talk about whether we want him, but does he want to stay, he will get offers I have no doubt, the timing of signing him and him wanting to stay is another question.

GVGjr
16-02-2011, 07:10 PM
We talk about whether we want him, but does he want to stay, he will get offers I have no doubt, the timing of signing him and him wanting to stay is another question.

Of course we talk about whether we want him to stay or not or for how long but lets face it there has been no indication that he wants to leave us.

He's contract expires at the end of the season so of course that is the focus.

chef
16-02-2011, 07:13 PM
I would love for us to go after MM if Rocket can't deliver us a flag this year.

LostDoggy
16-02-2011, 07:15 PM

These guys have not been getting a game because they have not deserved to get a game. Blame Rocket. Blame German. Blame Maple. Blame their parents (in Hill's case). Blame whoever you like...but perhaps they are just flawed and are never going to make it?

I would agree that the main responsibility for their performance rests with the players themselves and would also agree that in each of the examples there were reasons they were not getting a game, that is not my point in this case. My question is have Rocket (and German and Maple) been able to get the most out of the individuals in question, in the case of Hill and perhpas Everitt as well it is intensity, not talent that is primarily lacking.

Again to be clear I don't balme Rocket for their lack of progress I just wonder if with a different coaching stlye we may have gotten more out of them. I will be interetsted to see if Sydney are able to get more out of Everitt then we could and if they are then I am curious as to why that is.

ledge
16-02-2011, 07:26 PM
I would agree that the main responsibility for their performance rests with the players themselves and would also agree that in each of the examples there were reasons they were not getting a game, that is not my point in this case. My question is have Rocket (and German and Maple) been able to get the most out of the individuals in question, in the case of Hill and perhpas Everitt as well it is intensity, not talent that is primarily lacking.

Again to be clear I don't balme Rocket for their lack of progress I just wonder if with a different coaching stlye we may have gotten more out of them. I will be interetsted to see if Sydney are able to get more out of Everitt then we could and if they are then I am curious as to why that is.

Also works 2 ways would any other coach have got out of Harbrow what he did, for each coach there are players that will thrive and ones that wont.

Other players you could name are Cross, Boyd, Morris they were given chances because Eade trusted his instincts would other coaches have even drafted Boyd?

LostDoggy
16-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Grand Finals are hard to get to, let alone win.

I suppose if we make it deep into finals & have another good season, Rocket deserves another contract.

LostDoggy
16-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Also works 2 ways would any other coach have got out of Harbrow what he did, for each coach there are players that will thrive and ones that wont.

Other players you could name are Cross, Boyd, Morris they were given chances because Eade trusted his instincts would other coaches have even drafted Boyd?

Good point I would concede there, he has also gotten a hell of a lot out of Lake, whereas other coaches may not have bothered. If you way up the ledger the club has experienced more succcess in uncovering and dveloping good players then players who have not quite lived up to potential (or perhaps may not have had the potential in the fiorst place to pick up mjp's point).

In your opinion would you say he is as good at this aspect as Malthouse or Roos?? That is not a snarky comeback by the way, I am genuinely curious as to your opinion.

Dazza
16-02-2011, 08:06 PM
In terms of talent on paper we are a top 4 club. If we don't make top 4 I'd start asking questions.

He has done really well though with players like Gilbee, Lake and Hargrave. Would like him to mentor the new breed coming through.

ledge
16-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Good point I would concede there, he has also gotten a hell of a lot out of Lake, whereas other coaches may not have bothered. If you way up the ledger the club has experienced more succcess in uncovering and dveloping good players then players who have not quite lived up to potential (or perhaps may not have had the potential in the fiorst place to pick up mjp's point).

In your opinion would you say he is as good at this aspect as Malthouse or Roos?? That is not a snarky comeback by the way, I am genuinely curious as to your opinion.

I think he has better people skills than mick but Roos is an exception, I like Eade a lot.
Bringing the best out of players I put him nearer Roos than Mick.
I always got the impression Mick is a robot coach designs players to position and no showing your natural talent, Eade and Roos tend to have confidence in a players natural talent and let them use it.

AndrewP6
16-02-2011, 11:12 PM
I'm firmly in Rocket's corner. 3 prelims in a row, 57% winning record, says a lot IMO. As has been noted, he backs his players talents. As mentioned in the article, short of a big slump, I'd expect him to be re-signed.

Just on Malthouse, I was under the impression (thought I read an interview) that after this year, he's under contract as director of coaching at the Filth. So, we'd have to pay out the contract, wouldn't we? That wouldn't fit in under the Bulldoze the Debt campaign....

AndrewP6
16-02-2011, 11:13 PM

Just from speaking to him at family days etc, and from that article, it certainly sounds like he wants to stay. Never got any other impression.

ledge
16-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Just from speaking to him at family days etc, and from that article, it certainly sounds like he wants to stay. Never got any other impression.

As much as i dont want to see him leave .. money talks , the name Thompson springs to mind.

GVGjr
16-02-2011, 11:30 PM
As much as i dont want to see him leave .. money talks , the name Thompson springs to mind.

Do you think that Thompson left the Cats for money at Essendon?

ledge
16-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Do you think that Thompson left the Cats for money at Essendon?

Well he was on about loyalty and Gary Ablett Jnr all year then lost the urge then whammo at Essendon assisting , what do you think?

Also still had a year to go on his contract.... Eade has done a lot at our club and if he left I would wish him the best, there comes a time money talks and thats at the end of a contract.

Ghost Dog
16-02-2011, 11:52 PM
No coach is perfect.
Malthouse has not exactly been a premiership machine either right?
That thing with Milne was pretty poor IMO. anyway. Meh...he's a good coach but I like Rocket.
One area that you intuitivley feel Rocket falls short on is creativity.
You sense this from all the damn cliche's he uses when he talks!! hehe it's funny.

Lots of Sydney-siders would love rocket back up there, I can tell you.

KT31
16-02-2011, 11:54 PM

I don't think money is an issue.
As much as I would hate him to leave, if it starts to look like he is not the one to win us a flag or he thinks he can't win us a flag, it will be time for him move on.
IMO with all his work and rebuilding of the list and personal investment, he needs a flag at the Dogs on his coaching resume.

bornadog
16-02-2011, 11:58 PM
, in the case of Hill and perhpas Everitt as well it is intensity, not talent that is primarily lacking. .

No intensity = no good as a footballer. Talent is not just having the skills.

bornadog
17-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Malthouse didn't exactly leave Footscray on good terms, and I for one would not want him back.

We had the team to go all the way in 1985 and he fluffed it with silly moves in the Prelim, or lack of moves. He basically had the same players for the next couple of years and we couldn't even make the finals.

Sedat
17-02-2011, 01:03 AM
Malthouse didn't exactly leave Footscray on good terms, and I for one would not want him back.

We had the team to go all the way in 1985 and he fluffed it with silly moves in the Prelim, or lack of moves. He basically had the same players for the next couple of years and we couldn't even make the finals.
Harsh I would have thought. Injuries bit hard in 1986 and in 1987 he did a sensational job with an ordinary list to all but make the finals (bloody Ricky Jackson :mad:) - remember we lost the first 3 in 1987 by an average of 100 points each and looked as dead as can be. He got us contending again in 1988 but then the arse fell out of the place completely the year after and we almost lost our club let alone our coach.

The Hardie stoush in 1986 didn't help matters. He probably thought the club was too soft on the errant player who did not want to comply with on-field team rules. Malthouse was good for us IMO with bugger all financial resources at his disposal for most of his tenure.

FrediKanoute
17-02-2011, 01:31 AM
I would love for us to go after MM if Rocket can't deliver us a flag this year.

No No No NO NO NO No effing no!

I have said before and I will repeat, Malthouse would be a horrible coach for the Bulldogs.

Look at the budget he had at the Weagles? Look at this budget at Collingwood? Compare that to what he would get at the Bulldogs and then determine whether he'd be a good coach. Personally I'd go fo someone like Ross Lyon (yes he is a pr*ck) or Dean Bailey, guys who have proved they can coach with limited resources.

BulldogBelle
17-02-2011, 01:31 AM
When Eade was first employed as coach there was a need for some sort of stability at the club with a proven coach to get things back on track. Eade seemed to fill the need. I disagreed with the decision and nothing has happened since to change my opinion. Eade is still president of the dumb coaches society.

The most courageous decision that I think that Eade has made was to enforce the timely retirement of Scott West. That's about the end of it. It seems to me that Brad Johnson, Jason Akermanis and Tim Callen all played a season too long. Addison has been here 3 years too long, Stack two and players like Hooper and Mulligan have got another season that they should not have.

Then there are the weird decisions that have been made over the last few years with out-of-form and sometimes injured players being picked. For example, I refer to selections of Eagleton. Hahn and Gia when their form was nothing short of atrocious. Higgins, Lake and Johnson carried injuries. Also there was the selection of players who didn't deserve a spot (eg Callan) and the dropping of players who played well (eg Everitt). From week-to-week supporters could scarcely believe the team selections, nobody could match the same team as the selectors. Nobody obviously had the same sausages-for brains (SFB). Eade and his selection committee, the whole lot of them should have their backsides kicked until their noses bleed (KUTA).

I don't see special on-field tactics with the Bulldogs like I do with other teams. For example Hawthorn had its moving defense, Collingwood had its round the boundary attack. Special tactics win matches and premierships. Its exasperating, I can easily think up a few tactics to enhance our attack with champion Hall up there, but with Eade we seem to have nothing going at all. The only comment we seem to get out of Eade is that we have been too Hall conscious. Crikey, make that a double whammy KUTA with your hob-nail boots on first.

The cost of course is lost opportunity. We lost the opportunity to draft players like these:- Geelong's James Podsiadly, Fremantle's Michael Barlow and Alex Silvagni, West Coast's Ashton Hams and Andrew Strijk, Williamstown's Mat Little and Robert Rose as a draft pick not rookie, North's Majak Daw, and many of this year's early draft picks such as Hawthorn's #19 Isaac Smith and #66 Paul Puopolo, Collingwood's #76 Paul Seedsman, Melbourne's #33 Jeremy Howe- there are lots of others. The point is, not that we would have drafted them but the 'Loss of Opportunity' to do so and the resulting loss of success.

Because we played out-of-form players and known duds and over-the-hillites we also lost the opportunity to get games into promising youngsters such as Everitt, Jones and Roughhead. Further exacerbating the situation would be the unprofessional culture that it promotes.

The team as got itself into the finals in spite of Eade, not because of him. We got our good playing list because we got early draft picks from our poor games record many years ago and because of Clayton's recruiting. Eade lacks leadership, vision and ingenuity.

There are many coaches who have got their teams into a grand final within a few years (Malthouse with West Coast and Collingwood), Barassi, Roos, Worsefold, Matthews, Lyons, Williams ... There are probably more. Eade is fast approaching the record for a coach with the most games without a grand final appearance.

Eade is nice enough and very knowledgeable but he hasn't got what it takes. He has no runs on the board. My uncle Joe's black dog 'Wumpo' could have coached to the same success as Eade. Name a game where tactics by Eade, (that were not obvious) won us the game. Sack him now I reckon. Make 'The Coon Dog' the coach. Rant over.

GVGjr
17-02-2011, 02:09 AM
Well he was on about loyalty and Gary Ablett Jnr all year then lost the urge then whammo at Essendon assisting , what do you think?

I think your assumption is incorrect and he isn't making as much at Essendon as he was at Geelong.

LostDoggy
17-02-2011, 03:01 AM
When Eade was first employed as coach there was a need for some sort of stability at the club with a proven coach to get things back on track. Eade seemed to fill the need. I disagreed with the decision and nothing has happened since to change my opinion. Eade is still president of the dumb coaches society.

The most courageous decision that I think that Eade has made was to enforce the timely retirement of Scott West. That's about the end of it. It seems to me that Brad Johnson, Jason Akermanis and Tim Callen all played a season too long. Addison has been here 3 years too long, Stack two and players like Hooper and Mulligan have got another season that they should not have.

Then there are the weird decisions that have been made over the last few years with out-of-form and sometimes injured players being picked. For example, I refer to selections of Eagleton. Hahn and Gia when their form was nothing short of atrocious. Higgins, Lake and Johnson carried injuries. Also there was the selection of players who didn't deserve a spot (eg Callan) and the dropping of players who played well (eg Everitt). From week-to-week supporters could scarcely believe the team selections, nobody could match the same team as the selectors. Nobody obviously had the same sausages-for brains (SFB). Eade and his selection committee, the whole lot of them should have their backsides kicked until their noses bleed (KUTA).

I don't see special on-field tactics with the Bulldogs like I do with other teams. For example Hawthorn had its moving defense, Collingwood had its round the boundary attack. Special tactics win matches and premierships. Its exasperating, I can easily think up a few tactics to enhance our attack with champion Hall up there, but with Eade we seem to have nothing going at all. The only comment we seem to get out of Eade is that we have been too Hall conscious. Crikey, make that a double whammy KUTA with your hob-nail boots on first.

The cost of course is lost opportunity. We lost the opportunity to draft players like these:- Geelong's James Podsiadly, Fremantle's Michael Barlow and Alex Silvagni, West Coast's Ashton Hams and Andrew Strijk, Williamstown's Mat Little and Robert Rose as a draft pick not rookie, North's Majak Daw, and many of this year's early draft picks such as Hawthorn's #19 Isaac Smith and #66 Paul Puopolo, Collingwood's #76 Paul Seedsman, Melbourne's #33 Jeremy Howe- there are lots of others. The point is, not that we would have drafted them but the 'Loss of Opportunity' to do so and the resulting loss of success.

Because we played out-of-form players and known duds and over-the-hillites we also lost the opportunity to get games into promising youngsters such as Everitt, Jones and Roughhead. Further exacerbating the situation would be the unprofessional culture that it promotes.

The team as got itself into the finals in spite of Eade, not because of him. We got our good playing list because we got early draft picks from our poor games record many years ago and because of Clayton's recruiting. Eade lacks leadership, vision and ingenuity.

There are many coaches who have got their teams into a grand final within a few years (Malthouse with West Coast and Collingwood), Barassi, Roos, Worsefold, Matthews, Lyons, Williams ... There are probably more. Eade is fast approaching the record for a coach with the most games without a grand final appearance.

Eade is nice enough and very knowledgeable but he hasn't got what it takes. He has no runs on the board. My uncle Joe's black dog 'Wumpo' could have coached to the same success as Eade. Name a game where tactics by Eade, (that were not obvious) won us the game. Sack him now I reckon. Make 'The Coon Dog' the coach. Rant over.

I disagree with your points on Addison and i think you'll find at times where some selections baffled you we probably had no choice other than to go with injured / underdone players.

As for the bolded bit i completely agree. If we enter 2011 with the same game plan as last year (what is it again exactly?) then i will be banging my head against the wall in frustration. Eade has innovated in the past and he can do it again...in 2011 he HAS to do it again. Any number of coaches could have coached this list to consecutive top 4 finishes , and its frustrating that teams with inferior lists (hello st kilda) have played in consecutive grand finals, because of our inability to deal with their gameplan. Simply making the top 8 again is nowhere near good enough to retain his job imo.

LostDoggy
17-02-2011, 08:55 AM

Not a personal attack mate, but you've got rocks in your head if you think Addison doesn't deserve a place in our squad.

soupman
17-02-2011, 01:55 PM

I agree that guys like Mulligan shouldn't have been given the contracts they were, and I'm not sure Hooper needed to be promoted. Look at Freo's way of managing rookies. They keep them on there as long as possible, even if they make a multiple game impact the year prior.

I wouldn't go that far, but there was confusion at times. I think as mentioned above sometimes we didn't have enough options, but I do agree we need to be more ruthless at times with our selection.

I don't understand this bit. We could have drafted most of those players (except for Robert Rose. Patrick Rose maybe). Pods, Barlow, Silvagni, Strijk and Hams were all rookies who 16 clubs could have drafted many times over. Mistakes happen. And as for last years draft, our first two picks were locked in and the last three picks have all shown something over the pre-season. And how were we meant to get Isaac Smith? Our first pick was 22, and that was committed to Wallis.

Because we played out-of-form players and known duds and over-the-hillites we also lost the opportunity to get games into promising youngsters such as Everitt, Jones and Roughhead. Further exacerbating the situation would be the unprofessional culture that it promotes

Everitt got games in his first year, and got games without really demanding them in later years. After 2007 he never showed more than glimpses of his talent.

Jones has been given opportunities in the 1 year he's played with us full time (played school footy in 2009) and every indication is that he will play a lot this season.

Roughead has also been given numerous games, and if not for shoulders that keep popping out may have played even more already.

I understand what you are saying about picking already peaked players ahead of youth, but I don't think there are many great examples of youth who were denied their spot.

I disagree. He has overseen the development of players like Cross and Gilbee into key components of the side, has helped guys like Picken, Harbrow and Morris get games coming from the rookie list, and has been one of the key reasons behind guys like lake becoming the best in their position in the league.

Make 'The Coon Dog' the coach

An interesting proposition.

AndrewP6
17-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Rant over.

I'm thankful.

LostDoggy
18-02-2011, 01:59 AM
2009 Prelim - Revolting stole it; champions sometimes do that and it sucks big brass ones
2010 Prelim - Dogs were smashed by injury, swine flu and lack of confidence that came from several weeks of both. Ran out of legs against the sainters and IMO it's hard to blame Rocket.

For mine his recent record is outstanding and he's a fantastic fit at Dogland. He deserves another couple of years if the team performs in 2011 (minimum top 4).

the banker
18-02-2011, 10:19 AM
James Cumming you were throwing around punches like a young amateur boxer. IMO none landed.

Maddog37
18-02-2011, 10:46 AM
I reckon you would have to wait and see how the team goes and what other coaches are available. Change for changes sake is senseless.

It would appear to me that someone like Leon Cameron would be ideal after two years at another club or even someone like Scott west would be an option in time.

2010 was the first year I have wondered exactly what we were trying to do with our style of play. We seemed caught between trying to attack and playing that horrible style in reaction to the saints defensive structure.

At the end of the day though we did play in a preliminary and also managed to blood some kids. Not a horrible result by any means and realistically reflected that we were a notch below the best when our depth was tested.

Only the inner sanctum truly know if the team needs a change. Last year was tumultuous due to the whole Aker, johno, injury issues, etc. The end of this year seems an ideal time to reassess where we are at and both club and coach seem to have acknowledged this.

Ghost Dog
18-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Get the sense most people are happy with Rocket but want him to show a bit more innovation at times.
Hope Rocket and MC can throw a few surprises at the opposition with selection. Became a bit predictable in past. Teams realize with ferocious tackling we just fall apart.

I guess he has all the tools he needs on field now. We needed a tall forward, we have one. We needed more speed, now we have it. Needed more depth to cover injuries, have it now for the most part.
Always going to be areas for a coach to work on. But this year, we have the speed to work through the zone and that's going to give Rocket lots more options. REckon he can build on last year.

ledge
18-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Our biggest problem was defensive pressure in forward line, Johnson gave us zilch in that area due to his injury, Eagle was always a run off and attack player and Aker well he was Aker.
Hall was pretty much doing it alone.

Hooper I liked due to his hardness, seemed to want the ball in my opinion and would get in.
We had too many leading players last year and not enough hard crumbers around to fight.

I think Johnson gone will make a big difference to us in a positive way as long as Eade is picking a player who not necassarily leads but hangs around the packs ready to get on the spill.

Twodogs
18-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Eade is fast approaching the record for a coach with the most games without a grand final appearance.

Rocket coached Sydney to a GF appearence in 1996.

strebla
18-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Our biggest problem was defensive pressure in forward line, Johnson gave us zilch in that area due to his injury, Eagle was always a run off and attack player and Aker well he was Aker.
Hall was pretty much doing it alone.

Hooper I liked due to his hardness, seemed to want the ball in my opinion and would get in.
We had too many leading players last year and not enough hard crumbers around to fight.

I think Johnson gone will make a big difference to us in a positive way as long as Eade is picking a player who not necassarily leads but hangs around the packs ready to get on the spill.

I thought Jones and Grant showed plenty of fight last year they chased ,tackled and harassed Hooper for mine is with Hill he needs to prove himself I dont want a crumbing forward that is not up to it. We need players earning their spots and getting out of their comfort zone and i think our depth this year is much more evenly spread so this should happen

ledge
18-02-2011, 02:22 PM
I thought Jones and Grant showed plenty of fight last year they chased ,tackled and harassed Hooper for mine is with Hill he needs to prove himself I dont want a crumbing forward that is not up to it. We need players earning their spots and getting out of their comfort zone and i think our depth this year is much more evenly spread so this should happen

Problem with these 2 are they are mainly marking forwards where we need crumbers under them.
They chased etc but they also went for the marks as well, meaning that they were losing a split second on the second effort.
Jones was clashing with Hall at times, both going for the same mark due to thats the height and game they play, a smaller player would have waited for the spill and then come into play.
What I am talking about is the one waiting for the spill, the little in and under. Hooper I think has the build and tenacity to be that one.
A liberatore type player but knows where the goals are.
Gia I just cant fathom is he a marking player or a crumber, seems he is the one who either takes a player out of the game by going wide or marking against his opponent, maybe I am wrong but he doesnt seem to crumb a lot.
This might have been Eades game plan with Gia.

BulldogBelle
18-02-2011, 07:34 PM
I disagree with your points on Addison and i think you'll find at times where some selections baffled you we probably had no choice other than to go with injured / underdone players.

There seems to be relatives of Addison posting to this site who give him unbelievable wraps from time-to-time. Trying to brainwash us. Not die-hard supporters, have to counteract their BS. You don't seem to be one as your support seems to be mild, but watch out for people who like to play him in the centre or say that he was one of the best on the ground when credible posters say he was beaten.

Eade is fast approaching the record for a coach with the most games without a grand final appearance.
Rocket coached Sydney to a GF appearence in 1996.
Sorry, make that GF win. And 1996 wow whoopy doo.

And how were we meant to get Isaac Smith? Our first pick was 22, and that was committed to Wallis.
I don't think Isaac smith is a youngster, could have drafted him the year before. If not, please just take it as the principle involved 'lost opportunity'.

James Cumming you were throwing around punches like a young amateur boxer. IMO none landed. If you don't think that those problems I outlined are serious, then what are?

I disagree. He has overseen the development of players like Cross and Gilbee into key components of the side, has helped guys like Picken, Harbrow and Morris get games coming from the rookie list, and has been one of the key reasons behind guys like lake becoming the best in their position in the league.
The real question is - could the black drover's dog or Mr Average have done the same? Don't give him a pat on the back for doing something he reasonably should have done.

Rant over.
I'm thankful.
Do you just like posts that you agree with?

Generally, thankyou Soupaman for you comments.

Bulldogs' fans runs on the board for Eade.
What would you rather have:
1. Coach E with 65% winning record, say 300 wins from 480 matches with no premierships or;
2. Coach B with 33% winning record with 2 premierships.
Which of the above has the 'runs on the board'?

AndrewP6
18-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Do you just like posts that you agree with?

Not necessarily, but that particular one just ripped through a heap of people, and I didn't agree with much of it. Didn't want to go through every point.

soupman
18-02-2011, 08:25 PM
I don't think Isaac smith is a youngster, could have drafted him the year before. If not, please just take it as the principle involved 'lost opportunity'.

I wouldn't really count that as Isaac Smith was playing country football until the second half of last year and is the ultimate come from nowhere draft pick.

The real question is - could the black drover's dog or Mr Average have done the same? Don't give him a pat on the back for doing something he reasonably should have done.

We'll never know. You could argue that theoretically someone else could have gotten the same results, but you can't deny that underneath Rodney Eade they have all developed into very good players. Would a different coach have gotten better results is perhaps a more relevant question.

Before I Die
18-02-2011, 08:36 PM
When Eade was first employed as coach there was a need for some sort of stability at the club with a proven coach .............

............ Sack him now I reckon. Make 'The Coon Dog' the coach. Rant over.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I accept that there may be some valid arguments against extending Eade's tenure, but I can't fimd any of them contained within your post.

Twodogs
18-02-2011, 11:48 PM

So you're changing the rules to suit your argument now? Either he did coach a team to a GF or he didnt.

Like someone else said you're throwing punches and none of them have landed. Eade took a forward line that everyone said couldnt perform without a marking forward and had it in the top two for scoring three years in a row. He's taken players who were struggling to get games under the previous coach and turned them into AA players.

If you dont like the man fine and good. That's your prerogative. But dont try and back it up with BS statements or backpeddle when you are proven to be wrong. That's just an insult to the intelligence of most posters on this board.

I am very much looking forward to revisiting this thread at year's end.

Ghost Dog
19-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Me too. I'm really surprised at the amoung of Dogs and non-Dogs supporters who nay say Rocket. Wait and see - quietly confident here.

LostDoggy
19-02-2011, 02:40 PM
If we don't make the 8, and I doubt that that will happen, I think it will be time over for Rocket. If we don't make top 4 there maybe a few questions asked. If we Make Prelim I think he'll be safe. If we make GF and win Rocket will be Formally Declared a GOD.

BulldogBelle
19-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by James Cuming
When Eade was first employed as coach there was a need for some sort of stability at the club with a proven coach .............

............ Sack him now I reckon. Make 'The Coon Dog' the coach. Rant over.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I accept that there may be some valid arguments against extending Eade's tenure, but I can't fimd any of them contained within your post.

Did you intentionally leave out my statement that I did not agree with Eade's initial appointment so that you could mislead people into believing that the first statement was in conflict with the last, or did you just make a mistake in judgement?

I agree with you that there are other valid arguments against extending Eade's tenure (such as his inability to retire Mr "I am bigger than the Club" Brad Johnson at the end of 2009).

If you don't believe that hanging onto dud players for extended periods of time, selecting out-of-form players missing opportunities to recruit better players, not having unique game tactics and not getting more games into young promising players are valid reasons then what are your valid reasons? Why don't you share your valid arguments with us!

Well Mr Before I Die, I want to win a premiership before I die too. We don't have time for inadequacy and pussy-footing around with the almost good-enoughs. Always strive for excellence, do the very very best that you can at all times and give the club 100%.

Originally Posted by James Cuming

So you're changing the rules to suit your argument now? Either he did coach a team to a GF or he didnt.

Like someone else said you're throwing punches and none of them have landed. Eade took a forward line that everyone said couldnt perform without a marking forward and had it in the top two for scoring three years in a row. He's taken players who were struggling to get games under the previous coach and turned them into AA players.

If you dont like the man fine and good. That's your prerogative. But dont try and back it up with BS statements or backpeddle when you are proven to be wrong. That's just an insult to the intelligence of most posters on this board.

I am very much looking forward to revisiting this thread at year's end.

I do like Eade, he is a very pleasant and accommodating man, but not as coach. Yes, I made a mistake trying to quote somebody else's stats. This is after I have been so derisive against using stats in the past to prove a point, especially in relation to Daniel Cross.

Yes, of course and the Sydney officials were so impressed with Eade that when he resigned they scarcely begged him to stay. Then Sydney shortly after that went on to win a GF with his replacement.

Some fans on this board are crediting Brian Lake's great play to Eade, where-as the opposite seems to be true. Lake seems to be a coach's nightmare, he beats the opposition by outmarking them, often with contested marks, and he advises that he does his own thing in the backline with no instructions from Eade. Eade tried to make Harbrow into a forward and centreman but failed.

You want to visit this thread at year's end, why not first start at the end of 2008 then go to the end of 2009 then 2010. Three strikes and he is still not out. I hope we win a GF at the end of this year, but it will be in spite of Eade, not because of him. This is why we needed Boyd as captain, a hard nut who is more likely to make the right decisions.

Maddog37
19-02-2011, 08:59 PM
You are like a dog with a bone James.

You, like johno, need to be told enough is enough, move on.

Before I Die
19-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Did you intentionally leave out my statement that I did not agree with Eade's initial appointment so that you could mislead people into believing that the first statement was in conflict with the last, or did you just make a mistake in judgement?

No sinister intent at all, I was simply trying to indicate that I was replying to the entire post without including the entire post as a quote. Hence I included the first and last lines with a series of dots between to indicate there was missing text.

I accept that you don't have a lot of faith in Eade and you certainly have the right to your own opinion. What I don't agree with are the interpretations of past performances and recruiting decisions etc that you use to support your opinion. I also don't agree with your presumption that the winning of a Grand Final is the only measure of the success of a coach. I believe that generally a premiership success is evidence of a good coach with a good team and a good amount of good luck.

I want a premiership Before I Die, but I am loving our current success, yes I call three prelims in a row success, and I see no reason to change our coach.

Dancin' Douggy
20-02-2011, 12:14 AM

Just to back up your argument, what about players who have flourished under Eade who were treading water under Wallace and Rhode?

Pretty much the entire list apart from Everitt, Hill and Stack.

boydogs
20-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Pretty much the entire list apart from Everitt, Hill and Stack.

That's ignoring a lot of delistings and traded players. Farren Ray springs to mind.

Bulldog Joe
20-02-2011, 10:08 AM
That's ignoring a lot of delistings and traded players. Farren Ray springs to mind.

I would say delisted and traded players score points against you only if the trade fails from your side or a delisted player flourishes after leaving.

Just working from memory I can only recall Farren Ray as being a regular at a new club, and he went to get regular games, because of the depth in competition for spots that he could play. He would not have made a difference is he had stayed at the Dogs and the player we have is likely to make a much bigger impact (Liam Jones).

We also traded out McMahon and picked up Callan Ward.

Very happy with the list management under Eade.

LostDoggy
20-02-2011, 02:08 PM

I agree with you that there are other valid arguments against extending Eade's tenure (such as his inability to retire Mr "I am bigger than the Club" Brad Johnson at the end of 2009).

If you don't believe that hanging onto dud players for extended periods of time, selecting out-of-form players missing opportunities to recruit better players, not having unique game tactics and not getting more games into young promising players are valid reasons then what are your valid reasons? Why don't you share your valid arguments with us!

Well Mr Before I Die, I want to win a premiership before I die too. We don't have time for inadequacy and pussy-footing around with the almost good-enoughs. Always strive for excellence, do the very very best that you can at all times and give the club 100%.

I do like Eade, he is a very pleasant and accommodating man, but not as coach. Yes, I made a mistake trying to quote somebody else's stats. This is after I have been so derisive against using stats in the past to prove a point, especially in relation to Daniel Cross.

Yes, of course and the Sydney officials were so impressed with Eade that when he resigned they scarcely begged him to stay. Then Sydney shortly after that went on to win a GF with his replacement.

Some fans on this board are crediting Brian Lake's great play to Eade, where-as the opposite seems to be true. Lake seems to be a coach's nightmare, he beats the opposition by outmarking them, often with contested marks, and he advises that he does his own thing in the backline with no instructions from Eade. Eade tried to make Harbrow into a forward and centreman but failed.

You want to visit this thread at year's end, why not first start at the end of 2008 then go to the end of 2009 then 2010. Three strikes and he is still not out. I hope we win a GF at the end of this year, but it will be in spite of Eade, not because of him. This is why we needed Boyd as captain, a hard nut who is more likely to make the right decisions.

Sorry to get personal, but you're either trolling, or dumb as a post.

Mate, your reason and logic is hard to comprehend. Your passion against Rocket is fine, a club needs both sides of any debate, but you seem to be willing to put your personal prejudice above your better judgment. You leave no avenue for Rocket to redeem your faith in him. If we miss out again in 2011, you'll no doubt be on here raving about how much of a genius you (think you) are, on the other hand if we take that ultimate prize, you'll still be on here raving about how he's just lucky and the players won it despite him.

There is NO WAY a playing group wins a premiership DESPITE the coach. That one quote makes me think you've not really thought it out, or, again, that you might be trolling. If a player doesn't do what the coach wants, he's out. When the coach loses the whole group, the coach is out. Either way, the team isn't winning a flag any time soon. Sacking a coach has rarely produced immediate success.

I agree that Rocket needs to find another string to his bow, and the team needs to innovate again. I agree that the team selections last year were bewildering. I've called for Rocket's head in the past, in anger and disappointment, but then I calmed down and reason and logic took hold. But I fail to see who else in the football world could have taken this list where they've been. Who else has been available in that time? I think Rocket has done great things for the club. Paul Roos won Sydney a flag in 2005, but he did it with the list Rocket put together.

When you get impatient and sack the coach out of anger rather than reason, you turn out like Richmond, or St Kilda. Two opposite ends of the success spectrum in recent years RE grand finals, but both similar in that the club culture at both clubs is lacking. Ross Lyon is driving a bus he didn't fill, and as a result seems to have little to no control over the antics at the back of the bus.

What Rocket, Johnson, Smorgon and Cam Rose have given us, whilst not a flag, is a professional culture at a club that has forever been the working class club. A culture of respect, professionalism, responsibility and class. That will deliver more long term success than the lucky flag Hawthorn won in 2008, have no fear.

When we win it, when, not if, I hope the first bloke to hold that beautiful cup up is not Boyd, but David Smorgon. Rocket would be next.

Here endeth my rant.

boydogs
20-02-2011, 04:13 PM
I would say delisted and traded players score points against you only if the trade fails from your side or a delisted player flourishes after leaving.

That's probably fair enough, but then Everitt, Hill and Stack shouldn't be included either as they haven't been shown to be any better under a different coach themselves.

The list was "players who have flourished under Eade who were treading water under Wallace and Rhode", there are plenty of forgotten names no longer with the club who do not fit into this category.

Just working from memory I can only recall Farren Ray as being a regular at a new club, and he went to get regular games, because of the depth in competition for spots that he could play. He would not have made a difference is he had stayed at the Dogs and the player we have is likely to make a much bigger impact (Liam Jones).

He definitely improved at the Saints. He cut us to shreds one day at the dome in a near BOG performance, with 30 touches from half back. Jones could become a better player, but that relates more to trading and list management than Eade's ability to get the most out of certain player types.

We also traded out McMahon and picked up Callan Ward.

Very happy with the list management under Eade.

As am I, I just thought only listing 3 players that haven't improved under Eade was a little imbalanced. I do think he has trouble with the laid back types.