PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Eade wants Barry Hall to play on

The Coon Dog
20-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Jon Ralph - Herald Sun - 20 February

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2010/02/06/1225827/451956-barry-hall.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade says he is hopeful star full-forward Barry Hall can play on next year as a 35-year-old.

Hall is the second-oldest player in the AFL behind Essendon's Dustin Fletcher, but enters the year fresh from a superb 80-goal season.

Eade is well aware injury or a form slump could strike down Hall, ending his career within weeks.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/rodney-eade-wants-barry-hall-to-play-on/story-e6frf9jf-1226008734717)

chef
20-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Everyone wants Barry to play on.

Hotdog60
20-02-2011, 10:47 AM
In the article it mentions Ryan Hargrave may not return till the second half, who would be the lucky rookie?

Sorry for the high jack of the thread didn't know if it warranted a thread of it's own.

OLD SCRAGGer
20-02-2011, 12:13 PM
In the article it mentions Ryan Hargrave may not return till the second half, who would be the lucky rookie?Sorry for the high jack of the thread didn't know if it warranted a thread of it's own.

I'm guessing it will be either Mitch Hahn or ed Barlow :)

GVGjr
20-02-2011, 12:33 PM
I think the call for Hall to play on in 2012 is way too early. Why not wait until the half way mark of the season to see how he is shaping up and if he still has the drive before trying to get him to look beyond this year?

LostDoggy
20-02-2011, 01:44 PM
I think the call for Hall to play on in 2012 is way too early. Why not wait until the half way mark of the season to see how he is shaping up and if he still has the drive before trying to get him to look beyond this year?

Agreed. Looking too far ahead at 34 only enhances the disappointment when the inevitable day does come.

LostDoggy
21-02-2011, 01:31 AM

Maybe just nipping any speculation that this could be Bazza's last year in the bud to avoid it becoming a distraction? Wouldn't want an endless stream of 'is this going to be your last year' questions. Time will tell if this works though -- speculation tends to arise due to a drastic loss of form more than anything.

Desipura
21-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Eade thought this time last year that Johnno could play the following year. As Gary said, lets wait until at least the middle of the year before we make such comments Rocket.

LostDoggy
21-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Agree, its too early to be talking about 2012. I would rather get excited about the performance of some of the fringe/new players in the NAB cup game.

LostDoggy
21-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Interesting commnets by Rocket.

Does this make Hall more or less apealling to GWS?.

Mantis
21-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Interesting commnets by Rocket.

Which comment in particular?

As an aside point the sub-editors at the Herald Scum have really been on fire lately... Nothing in the following quotes state that Eade WANTS Hall to play next year:

"It will be done at the end of the season, you can't jump in too early," Eade said of a decision on Hall.

"You would like to think he has another year in him, but time will tell.

"From his point of view, he would want to wait until the end of the year and see how he pulls up."

"You can go in (and make a decision) early and say, 'he is terrific', and then you get injuries and you say, 'time's up'," Eade said.

"It can finish quickly for older players, or any players really. He trains really well, his body is in good shape, he's had a few niggles here and there, but he hasn't missed a session.

"He hasn't lost his speed. Once that goes with players, you say it's all finished."

------

All that is stated it that it will be a wait and see process.

soupman
21-02-2011, 12:09 PM
All that is stated it that it will be a wait and see process.
No. He clearly states that Hall will be playing next year

G-Mo77
21-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Fev will be available. :D

Desipura
21-02-2011, 12:16 PM
No. He clearly states that Hall will be playing next year:rolleyes:

This is the very first sentence..........WESTERN Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade says he is hopeful star full-forward Barry Hall can play on next year as a 35-year-old.

LostDoggy
21-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Which comment in particular?

I was referring to his comments in general in respect of of the fact that I think a fit Hall would and should be on the GWS radar for a one year contract to help launch the club.

The way I read the article, Eade would strongly consider giving him another year if his body stands up well in 2011 and has no major issues at seasons end.

If the Bulldogs see value in a Hall One year deal then I am sure GWS would see even greater value and be prepared to pay for it.

I look at it this way, if they are allowed to poach 2 players then Hall would have to be the lesser of two evils (Well three actually, if they get to pick up to two players)

boydogs
21-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Nothing in the following quotes state that Eade WANTS Hall to play next year:

This one suggests Eade wants him to play on. Why would he 'like to think' he has another year in him if he didn't want him to play on?

You would like to think he has another year in him, but time will tell.

soupman
21-02-2011, 04:13 PM
This one suggests Eade wants him to play on. Why would he 'like to think' he has another year in him if he didn't want him to play on?

Well I'm sure he'd hate to think that by the end of this year it would be clear Hall shouldn't play another season.

I think Rocket would just like to have that option. I know I would.

Ghost Dog
22-02-2011, 02:31 AM
Fev will be available. :D

HAHHA... going very cheaply I hear.

LostDoggy
22-02-2011, 08:42 AM
I just want to get through 2011 before I start thinking about 2012. I think Rocket's comments are pretty generalised, and there is nothing definite it what he says!

The Adelaide Connection
22-02-2011, 11:22 PM
I just want to get through 2011 before I start thinking about 2012. I think Rocket's comments are pretty generalised, and there is nothing definite it what he says!

Yep, i'm with you on that. I thought West would play forever as he never missed any games and then, just like that, he was done. Similar story for Johnno.