PDA

View Full Version : Family Day This Weekend

cinder
22-02-2011, 08:46 AM
I couldn't find an existing thread on this so excuse me if there is one. But are any woofers hoping to attend family day this Sunday?

Here are the details:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/family%20day/tabid/15497/default.aspx

We hope to make it!

LostDoggy
22-02-2011, 12:32 PM
At this stage I think this will be the first year in many that I will not attend.

Unfortunately from my perspective the event is a victim of its own success.
s
The event is very well organised and is certainly a credit to the club, however although access to players is provided, the queue's are horrendous and I don't think I can stomach another fire brigade smoke detector demo or photo opportunity on a police motor bike.

I don't have any specific suggestions on what can done to improve the event, however I do feel that the event needs to be re-invented or altered to take it to the next level.

I guess I should consider myself lucky to have had the opportunity in previous years to watch my son doing basic training drills with the likes of Chris Grant, Scott West, and Libba and goal kicking with Paul Hudson

Aahh the good old days:)

aker39
22-02-2011, 12:49 PM
At this stage I think this will be the first year in many that I will not attend.

Unfortunately from my perspective the event is a victim of its own success.
s
The event is very well organised and is certainly a credit to the club, however although access to players is provided, the ques are horrendous and I don't think I can stomach another fire brigade smoke detector demo or photo opportunity on a police motor bike.

I don't have any specific suggestions on what can done to improve the event, however I do feel that the event needs to be re-invented or altered to take it to the next level.

I guess I should consider myself lucky to have had the opportunity in previous years to watch my son doing basic training drills with the likes of Chris Grant, Scott West, and Libba and goal kicking with Paul Hudson

Aahh the good old days:)

I was thinking exactly the same as you.

It's just become all too difficult.

The Moonee Valley fesitval is on the same day, so this year I will be taking the kids to it instead.

bulldogsfight
22-02-2011, 03:55 PM
I still remember the first one I went to with my son, he was about 4 and had his photo taken with Beasely , he said" I love you Bleasely" still got the phto and the memory, you are right there were small crowds then and access was easy.

LostDoggy
22-02-2011, 04:11 PM
I can't go this year as I will be away. I did get to the East Meets West day last month and find that although it's a smaller event, player access is much easier and it's less frantic. To all those going on Sunday, enjoy!! :)

cinder
22-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Interesting to hear those comments, I've never been to one before! In that case we'll see how we go, lol

AndrewP6
22-02-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm there!

Maddog37
22-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Contemplating coming for a look but not too keen to drive for an hour and quarter to stand in a queue and listen to the police band. Might just wait for the first game. Decisions, decisions.

immortalmike
23-02-2011, 03:27 AM
I may have a walk down and see what's up. I hope the crowd isn't as big as last year though, it was hard to move around.

cinder
23-02-2011, 09:21 AM
I think it's going to be a warm day so a lot might turn up

LostDoggy
23-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Contemplating coming for a look but not too keen to drive for an hour and quarter to stand in a queue and listen to the police band. Might just wait for the first game. Decisions, decisions.

If you have not been before I would certainly recommend going, its a great event but just busy.

The Coon Dog
23-02-2011, 10:10 AM
I think it's going to be a warm day so a lot might turn up

Those who have been before will know, it always seems to be a hot day!

LostDoggy
23-02-2011, 11:08 AM
The whole point is for us to have as many people go as possible. Not to have 200-300 people so its easier to see the players. The players and the club want to see it packed, one of the reasons they go out to play is for us.

LostDoggy
23-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Will be there with the family as we are every year in the heat !!! Kids are happy to kick the footy and grab something to eat. So com on everyone support the club - they need all the support they can get - we need less of the whats in it for me attitude !!!

soupman
23-02-2011, 12:58 PM
The whole point is for us to have as many people go as possible. Not to have 200-300 people so its easier to see the players. The players and the club want to see it packed, one of the reasons they go out to play is for us.

But conversely those who are going want less people because that means they can make more out of their day.

I remember one back in 2000 at the then Colonial Stadium where there was nobody in attendance and we had a very nervous Giansiracusa, Murphy and Gilbee who acted surprised when we asked them to sign something.

AndrewP6
23-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Will be there with the family as we are every year in the heat !!! Kids are happy to kick the footy and grab something to eat. So com on everyone support the club - they need all the support they can get - we need less of the whats in it for me attitude !!!

My thoughts exactly - well, I don't have kids, and kicking a footy's not my forte, but you get the idea ;)

LostDoggy
24-02-2011, 01:35 AM
But conversely those who are going want less people because that means they can make more out of their day.

I remember one back in 2000 at the then Colonial Stadium where there was nobody in attendance and we had a very nervous Giansiracusa, Murphy and Gilbee who acted surprised when we asked them to sign something.

And i'm sure if not a lot of people turned up, the same people complaining about too many peolpe being there. Would complain that there wasn't enough people there supporting the club/team

Remi Moses
24-02-2011, 10:47 AM
I agree some of the aspects of the whole day are pointless,but let's be honest if they got small crowds we'd be worried . They need to improve the merchandise sales aspect(always hundreds lined up in the shop)and the player access (don't ask me how!)

LostDoggy
24-02-2011, 11:50 AM
I agree some of the aspects of the whole day are pointless,but let's be honest if they got small crowds we'd be worried . They need to improve the merchandise sales aspect(always hundreds lined up in the shop)and the player access (don't ask me how!)

Last year I bought a retro t-shirt at the merchanside stand that was out on the oval. No queues. They don't have the whole range that the shop does, but it's worth having a look there first. :)

LostDoggy
24-02-2011, 02:02 PM
I can't go this year as I will be away. I did get to the East Meets West day last month and find that although it's a smaller event, player access is much easier and it's less frantic. To all those going on Sunday, enjoy!! :)

I was thinking exactly the same as you.

It's just become all too difficult.

The Moonee Valley fesitval is on the same day, so this year I will be taking the kids to it instead.

If you go to any training session during the year, you'll get heaps more autographs than lining up in the queues on Family Day.

I'd like to see them do some fun things where the players do a skit on stage, or serving sausages at the barbeque, or something like that, rather than having them sit inside a tent all day.

The reason I go? I like to listen to Smorgo and Rocket, although it's mostly the same stuff every year, there are always little tidbits to be had by listening to their speeches.

Absolutely. A large crowd, a large roar, the knowledge that there are thousands and thousands of people just hanging out for that ultimate victory would have to be some kind of motivation.

Also, we don't want to be one of these clubs that has nobody turn up to Family Day, but at season's end when the Cup is held aloft after winning a flag the place is jam packed with bandwagoners.

AndrewP6
24-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Saw news footage the other day (I think it was Brisbane), they said only 'dedicated' fans turned up - loosely translated that means hardly anyone went! Wouldn't want that for our day.

Murphy'sLore
25-02-2011, 11:04 AM
It could hardly have been more packed last year, WO was bursting at the seams. They ran out of tomato sauce, for heaven's sake! Don't think it will be quite so chockers this year though, as expectations are running a little lower.

LostDoggy
25-02-2011, 05:13 PM
I'll be there...thinking of taking an esky lid for Coons to sign

cinder
25-02-2011, 05:26 PM
I'll be there...thinking of taking an esky lid for Coons to sign

ROFL! Classic ...

cinder
27-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Damn this weather! Not sure if I'll be able to go now with the little one

divvydan
27-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Sure you want to miss this? http://ow.ly/i/8AWA

LostDoggy
27-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Sure you want to miss this? http://ow.ly/i/8AWA

Looking good Adam!!! Way to go!

cinder
27-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Haha!

wend1604
27-02-2011, 06:52 PM
I actually really enjoyed the family day this year. Wasn't too crowded, found it easy to move around and managed to get some good photos.

Love Adam's outfit! :)

AndrewP6
27-02-2011, 07:16 PM
If anyone's interested, here's a few pics. With the pushy people standing in front of me, and given the fact I unexpectedly caught up with an old friend, I didn't get pics of the playing group on stage, as prime position was taken once I got over there. I can't resist pics of the statue of EJ though...

http://s739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/WB%20Family%20Day%202011/

LostDoggy
27-02-2011, 07:36 PM
AndrewP6, I spotted you outside taking the EJ statue pics, you have a very good eye, my friend. Thanks for posting the link. :D

AndrewP6
27-02-2011, 07:39 PM
AndrewP6, I spotted you outside taking the EJ statue pics, you have a very good eye, my friend. Thanks for posting the link. :D

Thanks!:) I really only get there once or twice a year, and with the traffic going in and out, it's kind of a risky proposition (sitting in the middle of the roundabout!), but worth it in the end.

AndrewP6
27-02-2011, 08:31 PM
In Bulldogs Central, splashing some cash (on clearance items, admittedly!), saw both Simon Garlick and Peter Gordon, shopping with their kids. Still giving to the club! :)

LostDoggy
27-02-2011, 09:28 PM
In Bulldogs Central, splashing some cash (on clearance items, admittedly!), saw both Simon Garlick and Peter Gordon, shopping with their kids. Still giving to the club! :)

Andrew, I saw Gordo wearing his #1 Jumper as I was leaving.
He was as proud as punch.

Sorry to All for bringing my Pie following Brother along, but it opened his eyes to our beloved club. ;)

LostDoggy
28-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Andrew, I saw Gordo wearing his #1 Jumper as I was leaving.
He was as proud as punch.

Sorry to All for bringing my Pie following Brother along, but it opened his eyes to our beloved club. ;)

He was alright, didn't rave on too much.

LostDoggy
28-02-2011, 04:16 PM
If anyone's interested, here's a few pics. With the pushy people standing in front of me, and given the fact I unexpectedly caught up with an old friend, I didn't get pics of the playing group on stage, as prime position was taken once I got over there. I can't resist pics of the statue of EJ though...

http://s739.photobucket.com/albums/xx31/AndrewP6_photo/WB%20Family%20Day%202011/
Great pics Andrew. I remember when there was talk of making a statue of Ted when he was still alive, Ted Jnr said his dad said he would agree on the condition that young Ted go once a week and clean off the bird droppings. From your pics it does not look like young Ted kept his promise lol.

LostDoggy
01-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Great pics Andrew. I remember when there was talk of making a statue of Ted when he was still alive, Ted Jnr said his dad said he would agree on the condition that young Ted go once a week and clean off the bird droppings. From your pics it does not look like young Ted kept his promise lol.

Speaking of Jnr, when, if ever, will the club house the "E.J.Whitten Foundation" at it's rightful home? :confused:

LostDoggy
01-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Speaking of Jnr, when, if ever, will the club house the "E.J.Whitten Foundation" at it's rightful home? :confused:

Yes, agree with you Sknookie, it would seem to be the most appropriate and logical place for EJ jnr to run the foundation. I think at present, they are in Yarraville?

LostDoggy
02-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Yes, agree with you Sknookie, it would seem to be the most appropriate and logical place for EJ jnr to run the foundation. I think at present, they are in Yarraville?

Correct MG. and not an easy place to find either. Took donations there 2 yrs ago after my Father passed away. Parked outside and still had trouble knowing where it was :confused: