PDA

View Full Version : GWS. Wood or Ward?

EasternWest
26-02-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm not convinced we'll lose either of them. No evidence to back that up, but given today's paper they're on the Giants radar. And if they're not, the GWS is derelict in their duty.

So if we have to lose one, who would you want it to be?

For mine, I'd hate to lose Ward. No disrespect to Wood, who I really, really like. I just think we'd lose more if we lost Cal. As much as he is not a cerebral guy, to me he screams leader and potential captain.

Thoughts?

Cyberdoggie
26-02-2011, 08:57 PM
A good question.

Ghost Dog
27-02-2011, 01:23 PM
http://cdn2.slatterymedia.com/thumbs/150/2011/02/26/223801.jpg

GWS may throw in a free haircut?

LostDoggy
27-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Oh yeah that hair is baaaaaaad! Well, I don't think I would want to lose either, and for me it's tricky to separate them. Both have good futures in front of them - I love the way they both play. Ward is probably ahead of Wood in his development, but who knows???? :confused:

LostDoggy
27-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Would rather lose Wood.

I think it would be easy to replace someone like Wood, compared to a guy like Ward.

azabob
27-02-2011, 02:05 PM
It is a hard question. I think we'd lose more as a team if Wood left.

He should continue to develop this year as a half back flanker who can play tall or small and if he can get his average possessions from the 10-12 mark up to low 20's he will be a very damaging player.

Wood has that x factor, he didn't play AFL until very late in his school years and still has a long way to go.

They both would leave a huge hole in our team in the next few years if we were to lose either of them.

Mofra
27-02-2011, 08:38 PM
I'd be far more annoyed at losing either than I am losing Harbrow. Harbrow had a GF in Brisbane, his parents would have been closer and he hated the Melbourne climate so there were a number of reasons to leave (besides the extra coin).

Ward & Wood don't have that pull - it's simply dollars.
Ward could be a bona fide midfield gun, and whilst Wood may not have Harbrow's evasiveness he is a far better defender and can play tall too so is more versatile in terms of opponent.

FrediKanoute
27-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Wood for me. Love Ward and the way he goes about it, but reckon we could replace it easier than the run of Wood. Wood will take over from Hargrave as the tweener defender who gives run off half back.

AndrewP6
27-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Tough question. If pushed, I'd say Wood. I think we'd really miss his run, and hopefully he continues to develop to be able to defend a variety of opponents.

That said, I hope neither is poached.

LostDoggy
27-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Let 'em take 2 from Collingwood and leave our boys alone.
I don't want to lose either of them

Maddog37
27-02-2011, 09:37 PM
There is no Scotty Clayton factor here either which I suspect would have been an influence on Harbrow leaving to gold coast.

w3design
27-02-2011, 10:46 PM
I hope the management have learnt from the Harbrow experience, and refuse to play blokes who fail to sign a fair and reasonable new contract promptly after it is offered. If a player intends to leave we should be using his position in the squad to give experience to a kid who is committed to the doggies cause for the long term.
Some will suggest this is cutting off our own nose to spite our face, but I believe the long term interests of the club are more important than what is offered short term by any player who will not be part of our future.

w3design
27-02-2011, 10:49 PM
As a PS to the above, I am a big fan of both the boys mentioned, having watched their development with interest at Willy, and hope and believe they will both stay and become a significant part of the Doggies future. And hopefully successes.

always right
27-02-2011, 11:01 PM
There is no Scotty Clayton factor here either which I suspect would have been an influence on Harbrow leaving to gold coast.

Wasn't Wood one of Scotty Clayton's famous smokeys?

Who would I prefer to retain? That's a real tough one. My first inclination is to say Ward who is tough, has enormous potential and could be a future captain. Then there is Wood who could become something pretty special, the sort who come around only every so often. Love watching them both and hope I'll be watching them both in the buldogs jumper for years to come.

Greystache
27-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Wasn't Wood one of Scotty Clayton's famous smokeys?

Is Scott Clayton now recruiting for GWS? If not then there is no Clayton factor.

LostDoggy
28-02-2011, 01:16 AM
If I had a to make a choice, I wouldnt like to but I would keep Callan Ward. He will be a 300 gamer.

boydogs
28-02-2011, 02:30 AM
Gotta go the A grade mid over the A grade defender

Dry Rot
28-02-2011, 03:40 AM
If I had a to make a choice, I wouldnt like to but I would keep Callan Ward. He will be a 300 gamer.

And with his haircut he will get the lead role in the re-make of the film "Boogie Nights".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118749/

LostDoggy
28-02-2011, 09:26 AM

Absolutely agree. He has enormous potential

The Adelaide Connection
28-02-2011, 09:43 AM
I don want to drive myself crazy worrying about who will/wont go this year and it would be a flip o the coin out of these two for mine.

Is it too early to start watching the young talents of the new teams (especially GC) with the intention of poaching some of their kids?

I am not talking about the Swallows, more the kids in the middle. There is always the "want to go home factor" and I assume that as some of these kids blossom and start demanding more cash fitting them all in to their cap is going to be impossible.

Does anyone know when their extra salary cap concessions end? That won't help them.

always right
28-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Is Scott Clayton now recruiting for GWS? If not then there is no Clayton factor.

What was I thinking?:o

EasternWest
28-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Is it too early to start watching the young talents of the new teams (especially GC) with the intention of poaching some of their kids?

That's an interesting point. Never even crossed my mind.

What was I thinking?:o

I'm saving this post as admission of and evidence to that you're not, in fact, always right :D:eek:!

always right
28-02-2011, 11:39 AM
That's an interesting point. Never even crossed my mind.

I'm saving this post as admission of and evidence to that you're not, in fact, always right :D:eek:!

I'm thinking of changing my name to "Seldom Wrong". Nah...I'll stick with "Always Right"....much more arrogant and more likely to get up people's noses.:D

LostDoggy
28-02-2011, 03:23 PM
I don want to drive myself crazy worrying about who will/wont go this year and it would be a flip o the coin out of these two for mine.

I am not talking about the Swallows, more the kids in the middle. There is always the "want to go home factor" and I assume that as some of these kids blossom and start demanding more cash fitting them all in to their cap is going to be impossible.

Does anyone know when their extra salary cap concessions end? That won't help them.

I think this actually poses more of a threat than an opportunity. I think the so-called big Melb clubs will be using the farcical third party payment system to bring stars back to Melb. Think Buckley, Clement, Judd, Kane Johnson, McPhee (ok scrap McPhee).. all over again. Struggling to think of many we 'got back' from WC/Bris/Adelaides, etc.. Eagleton is the only one that comes to mind (but I think we only marginally did well out of that in the long-term). We lost a hell of alot to these club at inception (Hardie, Edmund, McGuinness, Tregenza, etc..) for not much return...

I think the club should be on the front foot about this and be asking some questions to afl about the legitimacy of these deals before GC/GWS start leaking players

The Adelaide Connection
28-02-2011, 06:42 PM
I think this actually poses more of a threat than an opportunity. I think the so-called big Melb clubs will be using the farcical third party payment system to bring stars back to Melb. Think Buckley, Clement, Judd, Kane Johnson, McPhee (ok scrap McPhee).. all over again. Struggling to think of many we 'got back' from WC/Bris/Adelaides, etc.. Eagleton is the only one that comes to mind (but I think we only marginally did well out of that in the long-term). We lost a hell of alot to these club at inception (Hardie, Edmund, McGuinness, Tregenza, etc..) for not much return...

I think the club should be on the front foot about this and be asking some questions to afl about the legitimacy of these deals before GC/GWS start leaking players

Yeah very good point and a huge potential for concern. I think our club is a much more attractive place to land these days and, as can be seen with the Aker and Hall scenarios, when all is above board and fair we should be able to shake our fair share of oranges from the tree. But I agree that the club should be proactive about third party "juddesque" deals now because we don't have the same financial muscle to get the next big thing by giving their pet dog a secretarial role at WO with a salary of 500k.

Bulldog Joe
28-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Yeah very good point and a huge potential for concern. I think our club is a much more attractive place to land these days and, as can be seen with the Aker and Hall scenarios, when all is above board and fair we should be able to shake our fair share of oranges from the tree. But I agree that the club should be proactive about third party "juddesque" deals now because we don't have the same financial muscle to get the next big thing by giving their pet dog a secretarial role at WO with a salary of 500k.

While I love your comment I don't think Rebecca Twigley would find it as amusing as I do.

The Adelaide Connection
28-02-2011, 11:17 PM
While I love your comment I don't think Rebecca Twigley would find it as amusing as I do.

Ha! Did they actually give her a secretarial job? That was not my intention at all! :o

More just a general reference to a practice that has been rumoured to have happened for years.

Bulldog Joe
01-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Ha! Did they actually give her a secretarial job? That was not my intention at all! :o

More just a general reference to a practice that has been rumoured to have happened for years.

Not sure either, but I believe they did something. Might only have pulled a few strings for the modelling gig.

It was more the pet dog reference, that had me thinking of the situation and I feel she would not like being in that category.

However, I am certain (without proof) that there has been and will likely be plenty of instances occur that you allude too.

Richmond under Clinton Casey apparently gave investment in property deals (or in the case of Ben Holland promised them).

Mofra
01-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Not sure about Twigs, but there was a rumour that Judd's mum was a very highly paid staff member at Visy doing "general admin" for a while.

Ward's family are locals ;)

The Underdog
01-03-2011, 10:36 PM

Apparently she's a trained speech therapist and works at the Alfred (at least that's what a friend who works as a nurse at the Alfred told me).

AndrewP6
01-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Apparently she's a trained speech therapist and works at the Alfred (at least that's what a friend who works as a nurse at the Alfred told me).

Yep, The Twig (that makes her sound so much cooler;) ) does work at the Alfred, as a speech pathologist.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/confidential/rebecca-twigley-fashioning-a-new-career/story-e6frf96o-1225889974631

Sockeye Salmon
02-03-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm not convinced we'll lose either of them. No evidence to back that up, but given today's paper they're on the Giants radar. And if they're not, the GWS is derelict in their duty.

So if we have to lose one, who would you want it to be?

For mine, I'd hate to lose Ward. No disrespect to Wood, who I really, really like. I just think we'd lose more if we lost Cal. As much as he is not a cerebral guy, to me he screams leader and potential captain.

Thoughts?

It might be necessary to finish up Gilbee, Hargrave and Hall.

Move two of Gia, Murphy and Lake onto the vets list.

Bulldog Joe
02-03-2011, 01:16 AM
It might be necessary to finish up Gilbee, Hargrave and Hall.

Move two of Gia, Murphy and Lake onto the vets list.

Now we are looking at list management issues and probably premature.

Unfortunately the GWS threat makes this a reality.

As difficult as it may be Murph may need to be retired given his ongoing injury issues that now date back 5 years. Certainly would need to get through the season unimpeded or he would represent a huge risk going forward, regardless of GWS.

Desipura
02-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Now we are looking at list management issues and probably premature.

Unfortunately the GWS threat makes this a reality.

As difficult as it may be Murph may need to be retired given his ongoing injury issues that now date back 5 years. Certainly would need to get through the season unimpeded or he would represent a huge risk going forward, regardless of GWS.

Murphys best is arguably better than Hargreave or Gilbee's, they would be the ones to retire before Murphy, if you were going down that path.
Playing half back will alleviate stress on his Murphs body and hopefully prolong his career. Don't forget Hargreave has not been fully fit for a few seasons (even though he played last season) and Gilbee has not been the same player for a few seasons.

Bulldog Joe
02-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Murphys best is arguably better than Hargreave or Gilbee's, they would be the ones to retire before Murphy, if you were going down that path.
Playing half back will alleviate stress on his Murphs body and hopefully prolong his career. Don't forget Hargreave has not been fully fit for a few seasons (even though he played last season) and Gilbee has not been the same player for a few seasons.

I see Gilbee or Hargrave as needing to be retired anyway. They have gone onto the veterans list and we absolutely need Lake moved there in 2012. The salary cap relief is reduced if you have more than 2 veterans.

up to 2 veterans 50% relief
3 veterans 33%
4 veterans 25%

We probably need to maximise the relief on the highest salary and I am assuming that Lake is the highest earner anong the potential veteran group.

Hot_Doggies
02-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Although they aren't on huge $$$ , Minson, Stack, Addison have to be moved on to free up cash for cheap 18 yr olds.

Cross, Gia, Hargreave , Murph , Hudson, Hall paycuts, delisted etc.

Sockeye Salmon
02-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Although they aren't on huge $$$ , Minson, Stack, Addison have to be moved on to free up cash for cheap 18 yr olds.

You don't save much by moving on these guys because they're not on big $$$ and you still have to pay draftees

stefoid
02-03-2011, 10:56 AM
http://cdn2.slatterymedia.com/thumbs/150/2011/02/26/223801.jpg

GWS may throw in a free haircut?

teen wolf!

stefoid
02-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Gotta go the A grade mid over the A grade defender

Well, neither is anything like A grade yet.

But we have Wallis and Libba to come into the midfield, who do we have coming on in defence?

Mofra
02-03-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm actually surprised Addison isn't on the GWS radar (that we know of).
He's behind Boyd & Cross as an inside mid (and Gia going by last year's games when Boyd was missing).
He is a hardened body who is excellent with the one on ones, he bleeds for his teammates and is a NSW boy.

I'd rather he stay but given he is only on the fringes of our 22 he would be guaranteed 22 games + extra money + a homecoming by singing to GWS.

The Underdog
02-03-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm actually surprised Addison isn't on the GWS radar (that we know of).
He's behind Boyd & Cross as an inside mid (and Gia going by last year's games when Boyd was missing).
He is a hardened body who is excellent with the one on ones, he bleeds for his teammates and is a NSW boy.

I'd rather he stay but given he is only on the fringes of our 22 he would be guaranteed 22 games + extra money + a homecoming by singing to GWS.

Yeah but they can probably use a mid range draft pick to trade for him rather than waste their time "enticing" him there, as opposed to players with far higher upside like Ward or Wood who will take $$$ & long term contracts. Addison, as much as I respect him, isn't worth committing long term money to.

Mofra
02-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Yeah but they can probably use a mid range draft pick to trade for him rather than waste their time "enticing" him there, as opposed to players with far higher upside like Ward or Wood who will take $$$ & long term contracts. Addison, as much as I respect him, isn't worth committing long term money to.
Fair point, althoug if we manage to hold onto Ward & Wood they'd be better off signingDFA under the uncontracted player rule as that way the AFL gives us compensation and GWS get to keep their mid range pick.

boydogs
02-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Well, neither is anything like A grade yet.

I see them as about even anyway.

But we have Wallis and Libba to come into the midfield, who do we have coming on in defence?

Howard, Tutt and Schofield could become defenders for us. A good mid is more valuable, and could probably play a HBF role if required anyway. See what we did with Griffen for instance.