PDA

View Full Version : Darcy to announce retirement at 12pm

Twodogs
02-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Eade and Darcy to front a presser at 12pm. Rumour is Darcy will announce his retirement.

Go_Dogs
02-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Immediate or season end? Didn't see that coming.

GVGjr
02-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Perhaps Streets good form on the weekend for the Bees and Skippers encouraging display last week has hastened the omission of Darcy. It would appear that Darcy has decided to make way by stepping down now.
FWIW, I would have liked for him to continue to play but really Eade has signalled that we are no chance to make the finals by trimming Darcy from the squad.
Does this now make room for Hughes?

Go_Dogs
02-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Perhaps Hughes and even Pask too depending on what the situation turns out to be with Griff and the LTIL. Maybe we're trying to get a look at both of them before seasons end and make a more educated assessment. Very sad to see Darcy go, he was always one of my favorites.

bornadog
02-08-2007, 12:35 PM
Perhaps Hughes and even Pask too depending on what the situation turns out to be with Griff and the LTIL. Maybe we're trying to get a look at both of them before seasons end and make a more educated assessment. Very sad to see Darcy go, he was always one of my favorites.

I thought rookies can only be elevated if you have a long term injury, this will be a retirement?

Very sad for Darcy to have two knee reco's at the end of a very good career. It was always going to be tough for him to return at age 32 and very difficult for him to reinvent himself as he has lost mobility. Noticed him as a backman for awhile last friday in the third quarter, he still tried his heart out but looked uncomfortable.

I wonder whether he will stick to media or seek an assistant coaching role?

aker39
02-08-2007, 12:59 PM
The only way we can promote a rookie is if Darcy has done another injury and hence could be put on the long term injury list, like Monty.

We still don't know if the rookie elevation time limit has passed or not either. Some posters have said that it has, but the paper the other day said otherwise.

Dry Rot
02-08-2007, 01:09 PM

I did, but I thought it would happen at season's end.

Only interesting bit is whether he jumped or was pushed.

I suspect the latter, and hats off to Eade for having the balls to do it.

Bulldog Revolution
02-08-2007, 01:12 PM

I certainly didn't see it coming, particularly after a week where he was the starting ruckman and Street was ommitted

bornadog
02-08-2007, 01:35 PM
He is playing tomorrow, but I didn't pick up if he is playing out the season?

Mantis
02-08-2007, 01:41 PM
He is playing tomorrow, but I didn't pick up if he is playing out the season?

He never really mentioned that although I did hear him talk about coming weeks and finals so we can only assume he will play out the remainder of the season.

bornadog
02-08-2007, 02:07 PM
From Bulldogs website

WESTERN BULLDOGS ruckman Luke Darcy announced on today that he will retire from AFL football at the end of the 2007 season.

The 32-year-old revealed his plans sitting alongside senior coach Rodney Eade at a media conference at Whitten Oval.

“My main focus is on tomorrow night. I’m as focussed and committed to that as the next few weeks as I possibly can be,” Darcy said.

“But I’m excited about my future and particularly playing St Kilda.”

Darcy has played 221 career games and has booted 178 goals in a 14-season career. He has won a best and fairest award, achieved All-Australian honours and the coveted Western Bulldogs captaincy. In 2002, he was joint winner, with Michael Voss, of the AFL Players Association MVP award.

His dazzling career, spotlighted by high-leaping marks and dominance in the midfield, has also had its dark moments.

Two knee reconstructions denied Darcy greater glory and was a major reason for his decision to call it quits.

“It’s a combination of both [mental and physical wear and tear]. I’ve been thinking about [retirement] for a couple of weeks. There’s no doubt it’s been hard and the struggle [after having] two years out of the game. There’s been a bit of frustration.

“The decision was easy and I’m pretty happy with it.”

The 196cm, 98kg bigman, however, has managed to play every game this season after sitting out the entire 2006 season with a knee injury.

Darcy was recruited to the Bulldogs under the father-son rule in the 1992 AFL national draft and made his senior debut in 1994.

"I just want to thank the football club. It’s almost been half my life that I’ve walked into these rooms. It’s been an incredible place for me," Darcy said.

"It’s been emotional today … but I’m excited about the next phase of my life. I’m looking forward to it."

His father, David, was an honest defender who played 133 senior games and represented Victoria before shifting to Adelaide, where Luke was born.

Darcy's introduction to senior footy could not have been better choreographed with the spindly teenager learning the ruck craft from Brownlow Medallist Scott Wynd.

He took up the mantle as the club’s No.1 ruckman in 2001, his flamboyance and athleticism a good counter-balance toWynd’s toil and tap work.

Darcy was appointed captain in 2005, but six rounds into the home and away season he injured his knee against Geelong.

He underwent a knee reconstruction and missed the remainder of the season.

He received an even more bitter blow when on the comeback trail he ruptured his knee ligaments during the Bulldogs’ pre-season training in December.

Today, he paid tribute the club's support during his rehabilitation, in particular CEO Campbell Rose.

“In the frustrations I’ve had over the last couple of years, [Rose] had great relationship. The support the club has given me through that has been enormous.

“It’s nice to do things in your own terms and I walk away with some great memories."

Bulldog Revolution
02-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Luke really has put the club first, I think he probably could have squeezed out another year, and I hoped that he would, and hoped that he could return to his early 2000s form, but it probably was not going to happen.

A great Bulldog leader - chosen by Eade to be captain upon his arrival, a success off and on the ground - a role model to his fellow players.

The Coon Dog
02-08-2007, 05:41 PM
So next season, should a new recruit wear #14, or should it given to someone else? Thoughts? Perhaps Everitt.

GVGjr
02-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Out of all our senior guys of late he and Monty are the most likely to make an impression as an assistant coach. I really rated Darcy as a player and I think he is going too early. I would have preferred that he started another pre-season with us and around Feb or March made the decision to keep going. We could have then promoted the most deserving rookie.

I think his lack of spring is just a temporary issue for him.

Bulldog Revolution
02-08-2007, 06:24 PM
Out of all our senior guys of late he and Monty are the most likely to make an impression as an assistant coach. I really rated Darcy as a player and I think he is going too early. I would have preferred that he started another pre-season with us and around Feb or March made the decision to keep going. We could have then promoted the most deserving rookie.

I think his lack of spring is just a temporary issue for him.

Wise Words indeed GVGjr

As coaches I believe both Monty and Darcy will be excellent. Both are good communicators, have seen a number of coaches, have strong work ethics and instill confidence in others. They both have a presence.

Guys do tend to take 14+ months before they start moving well after a knee reco - and so some of his agility and mobilty may come back. I've watched Wojinski this year and feel he has got a fair bit of his speed back. But that said I dont think is bad timing, and I hope it can help add some spark to an extremely flat season from the team.