PDA

View Full Version : Final 8 Could Become Final 10

The Underdog
10-03-2011, 05:53 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/final-eight-could-become-final-10-in-expanded-fixture-20110309-1bo0t.html?rand=1299675663752

Just no, no, 1000 x no.

How are finals elite if more than half the teams get to play in them. It only seems like an option at the moment, one seriously hope they don't take.

Desipura
10-03-2011, 09:04 AM
tigers will continue to finish just outside the finals teams......... 11th!
What a joke if this comes in, I wont be going to the finals to watch my team 10th, when we have no realistic chance of winning a grand final.
All we are doing is further increasing profit for the AFL & Demetriou's pay packet.

OLD SCRAGGer
10-03-2011, 09:31 AM
I just had to check the calendar, thought it must have been APRIL 1st:D Surely they aren't serious about making it a FINAL 9 or 10 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Murphy'sLore
10-03-2011, 09:33 AM
What a ridiculous idea. Talk about every child wins a prize.

bornadog
10-03-2011, 09:51 AM
What a ridiculous idea. Talk about every child wins a prize.

That is exactlty what happens now. The 8 was ridiculous and the ten will be even worse.

Stefcep
10-03-2011, 10:51 AM
oh dear. Just have a final 18 or 19 or however many teams there are and be done with it.

Ozza
10-03-2011, 11:11 AM
There is simply not enough good teams to have any more than a final 8.
Realistically, any team not in the top 5 - or 6 at the most - are pretty ordinary.

Swoop
10-03-2011, 11:34 AM
You could argue that a top 8 is too many teams with the previous 16 side competition but at the end of the day more finals equals more money for the AFL.

LostDoggy
10-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Even a Top 12??
http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/news/blog/eddie-mcguire-says-12-afl-teams-could-battle-for-last-two-spots-in-proposed-top-10-from-2012/20110310-bn2a.html

The Adelaide Connection
10-03-2011, 07:47 PM
About as ridiculous as the Cricket World cup.

...it goes for how long?!:confused:

AndrewP6
10-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Sounds a bit silly. Let's have a finals series with 18 teams, and whoever turns up earliest gets a 2 goal head start. And the team voted as having the nicest uniforms (decided by the attending crowd holding up cards), get to kick with the wind, unless there's no wind, in which case the nominated superstar from each team gets an automatic BOG.

There, that's a bit more sensible. ;)

Maddog37
10-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Maybe a my kitchen rules bake off for the last finals spot.

soupman
11-03-2011, 12:28 AM
I was thinking more of a deal or no deal type finals series, where teams pick boxes and they determine their score ie. Bulldogs pick box 5 which has 4 goals inside it. Andrew Demetriou plays Andrew O'Keefe.

Ghost Dog
11-03-2011, 02:06 AM
Anybody think there is a real danger of exhaustion factor from the football fans?
If they do it, a top 10, with the bottom 5 realistically making up the numbers you'll have a pretty extended finals series. People are just going to get jack of it.

Murphy'sLore
11-03-2011, 11:04 AM
It's like the goose that laid the golden eggs. Even golden eggs get a bit boring if you have too many of them!

LostDoggy
11-03-2011, 11:28 AM
How about we get all codes to play on the same day at the same ground in a round robin.
AFL, VFL, NRL, Soccer, Tennis, Union oh the list goes on & on & on & on.....oops NBL mustn't forget them.
What a fun day it will be.
And the Melbourne cup can be run the same day around the boundary, and the Stawell Gift. :rolleyes::confused::eek:

AndrewP6
11-03-2011, 06:46 PM
I had this thought, thinking of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". We get Johnny Depp/Gene Wilder in to reprise their roles, and they put a Golden Ticket in the mail to 5 lucky AFL clubs. They play in the finals, with the winner receiving a lifetime supply of those little footballs the players throw into the crowd post-game.

And Andrew Hooper can be an Oompa Loompa. :)

mjp
11-03-2011, 10:50 PM
I dont think it is a big deal.

If we are in line to finish 10th - great, one more game to watch. If we are a legit top side, who cares about the 10th placed side as we will account for them pretty easily...

If it is purely about revenue raising etc, then why all the hand-wringing? I want to watch more footy - and if a playoff between 9th and 10th (or whatever) replaced a pre-season game, I say that is an AWESOME idea. The club makes more money, I get to see more footy - where is the downside?

AndrewP6
12-03-2011, 12:16 AM

If we are in line to finish 10th - great, one more game to watch. If we are a legit top side, who cares about the 10th placed side as we will account for them pretty easily...

If it is purely about revenue raising etc, then why all the hand-wringing? I want to watch more footy - and if a playoff between 9th and 10th (or whatever) replaced a pre-season game, I say that is an AWESOME idea. The club makes more money, I get to see more footy - where is the downside?

I'd love to see us in finals action if we're a legitimate chance to do something. Statistically/historically speaking, if we're tenth, we're not that much of a chance. And, as you say, we'd likely be accounted for easily - and I hate seeing that. The more teams allowed in, the less special it becomes, IMO.

Sockeye Salmon
12-03-2011, 12:17 AM

Richmond get to play finals.

chef
12-03-2011, 06:31 AM

This post sums me up perfect mjp.

The Underdog
12-03-2011, 03:31 PM

It might be purely about revenue raising from an AFL perspective (as well as getting GC and GWS into a finals series as quickly as possible), I just think the finals should be something you earn by being one of the elite teams (not saying that 7th or 8th is that now either). Does a team who wins 8 or 9 games really deserve to be rewarded with the opportunity to extend their season?

LostDoggy
12-03-2011, 03:39 PM
I hate how people like Eddie keep bringing up the NFL's wildcard system and saying it will work here.
For one, what he is proposing is completely differnt and two, it works there because of the divisons and conferences already long establish. also because the wildcard teams getting in are 5th and 6th out of a conference of 16 and play 3rd and 4th rather than 12 from 16

Ghost Dog
12-03-2011, 06:03 PM
This post sums me up perfect mjp.

That's fine, but what if your top team playing a lowly placed 10th and your star ie Coondog is injured by some sniper. It ends up costing you a flag.

azabob
12-03-2011, 07:29 PM
That's fine, but what if your top team playing a lowly placed 10th and your star ie Coondog is injured by some sniper. It ends up costing you a flag.

When is the last time someone was inured by as you say a sniper?

chef
12-03-2011, 10:54 PM

Thats life I guess.

Ghost Dog
13-03-2011, 12:53 AM
When is the last time someone was inured by as you say a sniper?

Using the term rather tounge in cheeck.
So you wish to have a ten team finals series? What benefit do you see in it?

chef
13-03-2011, 07:49 AM

This.

Ghost Dog
13-03-2011, 09:20 AM
This.

Cool, and fair points. But the reply was to Bobmurphy.

azabob
13-03-2011, 09:38 AM

Fair enough.

I agree with you.

I think if 50% of the teams in the competition can make the finals it is too many. So having a final 10 would be too many.

If we end up having a final 10 how many games will you need to play to make the grand final? The season will become very very long.

LostDoggy
13-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Long? As opposed to this season: 5 weeks of rubbish, a weeks break then the real stuff.

azabob
13-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Long? As opposed to this season: 5 weeks of rubbish, a weeks break then the real stuff.

You don't think any practise matches are needed?

22 rounds is too long to begin with, by round 15 we all know who is the top 5 or 6 teams who can and can't make the finals.

The teams who can't make the finals lose interest as do their supporters.

Play each other once and be done with it.

Ghost Dog
13-03-2011, 11:49 AM
The consensus seems to be no big deal, and i guess fans would live with it.

Personally, I'd much rather a season where there is actually a bit of tension about who will make the 8 With ten, top sides have to go through the motions of beating sides who haven't really earned the right to be there. Good little earner for the AFL for fans who will go and see their teams even if they have Buckley's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but theoretically, depending on the margins games are lost and won by, a team could lose half it's games during the season and still make the finals. It seems a bit odd.

mjp
13-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Does a team who wins 8 or 9 games really deserve to be rewarded with the opportunity to extend their season?

Probably not, but again - who cares?

If the AFL makes an extra million or so, good - we get a bigger distribution. If we are playing, we get an even bigger distribution.

Wipe out a round of the pre-season and add it in...if another 100 thousand or so supporters remain interested in the season as they battle for a 'top 10' spot, so what? There is already a lot of 'make the finals' focus even though teams outside the top 4 have very little chance of success...

I know what everyone is saying about a reward for mediocrity etc but I just don't know why it bothers everyone so much. They still wont win the flag and a poster on another thread (about rating our preseason) said everyone who doesn't win the flag fails anyway...

LostDoggy
13-03-2011, 12:21 PM
You don't think any practise matches are needed?

Practice matches? maybe 1. They play intraclubs as well.

22 rounds is too long to begin with, by round 15 we all know who is the top 5 or 6 teams who can and can't make the finals.

22 rounds only wasn't too long when there were 11 teams. 34 rounds might be unrealistic but spliting the the draw in half and playing more rounds to get more consistency is what should happen.
Top 5 or 6 may be settled but not the positions.

The teams who can't make the finals lose interest as do their supporters.

So Brisbane, Suns, Richmond, etc fans shouldn't even turn up in 2011. Sorry but thats the sport for you, you win or lose. I'd still go.

Ghost Dog
13-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Probably not, but again - who cares?

If the AFL makes an extra million or so, good - we get a bigger distribution. If we are playing, we get an even bigger distribution.

Wipe out a round of the pre-season and add it in...if another 100 thousand or so supporters remain interested in the season as they battle for a 'top 10' spot, so what? There is already a lot of 'make the finals' focus even though teams outside the top 4 have very little chance of success...

I know what everyone is saying about a reward for mediocrity etc but I just don't know why it bothers everyone so much. They still wont win the flag and a poster on another thread (about rating our preseason) said everyone who doesn't win the flag fails anyway...

Has Eade or anyone from our club expressed an opinion either way?

Rocco Jones
13-03-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm up for a less regular season games/more finals ratio.

I find the regular season very long in comparison to what you actually get for your efforts. The sides out of the finals race have nothing to play for a very long time.

With the final 8 system 1-4 and 5-8 have identical benefits if they are from the same state. We won't always have a Vic top 4 but I would like to see greater advantages for sides finishing higher up on the ladder. The sides guaranteed a home QF can have very little to play for for a very long time.

I'd like to see a finals system that goes for a week or even 2 longer, with that time being cut from the regular season but most importantly I want to see a finals system that separates it's advantages. Give the top 2 as much as a leg up as possible, 3rd and 4th a rung below that, 5th and 6th so on and 7-10 very little.