PDA

View Full Version : NAB cup final 2011

LostDoggy
12-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Take anything out of last nights game?
I only watched a quarter and a bit but I noticed a few things

Bombers backline is vunerable, might be good if we do play tall as possible there.
Without Brown and and Ried Pies chb position is a bit iffy.
Tarrant is the biggest scragger as a backman, its only a matter if the umps let him get away with it.
If Jolly goes down, Pies won't win the premiership.

Who got injured? Any suspensions coming?
Anything else?

Go_Dogs
12-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Bombers beatable, but working hard defensively and spreading well out of the clearance and getting the ball moving quickly when they get first hands to it (which they shouldn't against us). I struggle to see how they are going to kick big scores as they don't have any consistently dangerous forwards.

Collingwood looked good and just seemed to be cruising along. They are going to be tough to beat again but not impossible. Dawes looked very good last night, just a big wide body and when he has a bit of space in front of him he's going to be hard to stop on the short quick lead.

The AFL really needs to put out some clarification regarding blocking the man on the mark. If you are allowed to block from behind (just not allowed to be in front of the player on the mark) then it's a stupid rule and should be changed.

Not convinced about the no Jolly no Collingwood calls. Heard it mentioned on the radio this morning too. Last year he was a good player for them, and I'm not glossing over that, but Wood + Brown could probably get the job done for them. It's their prime movers, Swan, Pendlebury, Shaw, Thomas etc who are harder to replace and make a lot of their other guys look a lot better than perhaps they are.

G-Mo77
12-03-2011, 11:39 AM
I didn't even know it was on. :o

Hotdog60
12-03-2011, 11:46 AM
The AFL really needs to put out some clarification regarding blocking the man on the mark. If you are allowed to block from behind (just not allowed to be in front of the player on the mark) then it's a stupid rule and should be changed.

How would the umpires react if the man doing the blocking was manned up? Block the blocker.

Would the umpires instruct the players to move or does a 50 metre penalty come in for being in the 'zone'.

Go_Dogs
12-03-2011, 12:16 PM
How would the umpires react if the man doing the blocking was manned up? Block the blocker.

Would the umpires instruct the players to move or does a 50 metre penalty come in for being in the 'zone'.

It's an interesting one isn't it? Sometimes the umpires come in and ask the player to move on, other times they don't. Perhaps the player on the mark can manipulate the situation a little and draw a free (run back and put the blocker in front, feign being tripped?:D ).

Ghost Dog
12-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Bombers beatable, but working hard defensively and spreading well out of the clearance and getting the ball moving quickly when they get first hands to it (which they shouldn't against us). I struggle to see how they are going to kick big scores as they don't have any consistently dangerous forwards.

Collingwood looked good and just seemed to be cruising along. They are going to be tough to beat again but not impossible. Dawes looked very good last night, just a big wide body and when he has a bit of space in front of him he's going to be hard to stop on the short quick lead.

Perhaps the mark should stand a little more side on or at a slight angle. So at least he has a bit of peripheral vision on what's coming behind him.
Agreed, has to be clarified. Seems stupid to allow such a tactic into the game.

mjp
12-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Perhaps the mark should stand a little more side on or at a slight angle. So at least he has a bit of peripheral vision on what's coming behind him.
Agreed, has to be clarified. Seems stupid to allow such a tactic into the game.

Man up the blocker. He becomes a handball receive option half the time anyway...

Pickenitup
12-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Went to the game always thought Pies had there measure went up a gear when they needed to.
Think we will beat Bombers pretty easy Rd1 there backlline looks brittle and our midfieldwill have to much class for them.

LostDoggy
12-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Was Eade wearing a NY Giants cap in the crowd? I never knew he was an American football fan!

mjp
13-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Think we will beat Bombers pretty easy Rd1 there backlline looks brittle and our midfieldwill have to much class for them.

If the Essendon midfield spread the field in the same way against us in Round 1, we are going to be in trouble.

Ghost Dog
13-03-2011, 12:00 PM
If the Essendon midfield spread the field in the same way against us in Round 1, we are going to be in trouble.

Ok. I know last year we were a bit complacent against Essendon a few times and were taught a thing or two.Tails are up at the WO but hope boys don't take any wins for granted.