PDA

View Full Version : Eagleton / Power ?

LostDoggy
05-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Both of these guys had run with roles on Friday night.
Eagleton's job was to contain Montagna which I thought he achieved and Power's was to curb Harvey which I also thought he did what he was asked to do.

Power has struggled for most of the season and I think a run with role might really suit him for the balance of the season. Eagleton has had a good 2007 but he will need to add this type of role to his game on a more regular basis if he is to maintain his spot in 2008.

I know both of these players have their share of knockers, especially Power, but does anyone else think they could be a real benefit to the team if they are given these types of assignments in the future?

Go_Dogs
05-08-2007, 12:02 PM
I like the idea of using them and Ray as run with options. They can all run and carry the football when it's their time anyway(perhaps not Power, who is more suited to hands in traffic), but it allows them a bit more purpose and direction on the field when the don't have the ball. They all seem to have the motor for it, and although not defensive beasts, having a negating role or 2 will certainly help us in the middle.

bornadog
05-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Definatetly worked on Friday and it gives us another option when our game plan needs to change, like against teams like Saints, Sydney etc. The other players to have a different role on Friday were Murphy, Cooney both in the backline for some of the game. I am glad Eade has decided that at times we have to do this and not just have a running flowing game that can easily become unstuck.

LostDoggy
05-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Montagna beat Eagleton. Though he didn't do a lot and didn't kill us as he has the past few times, Eagelton did a lot less. We really needed runners on Friday and it was a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Who was on Dal Santo and what was Ray's role of Friday?

Bulldog Revolution
06-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Both of these guys had run with roles on Friday night.
Eagleton's job was to contain Montagna which I thought he achieved and Power's was to curb Harvey which I also thought he did what he was asked to do.

Power has struggled for most of the season and I think a run with role might really suit him for the balance of the season. Eagleton has had a good 2007 but he will need to add this type of role to his game on a more regular basis if he is to maintain his spot in 2008.

I know both of these players have their share of knockers, especially Power, but does anyone else think they could be a real benefit to the team if they are given these types of assignments in the future?

We dont have a lot of defensive midfielders and we need more bigger bodied players added to our midfield mix. Power is now a pretty big guy, and its really a role he could claim if he proves he is up to it.

I think its a good learning curve for Ray to play a more accountable game and I'd like to see Cooney and Griffen also take on these roles at times. At the minute with the team structured the way it is Cooney will be allowed to be offensive, but at some stage when he is fully recovered from OP he is going to need to go head to head with guns and beat them.

For Eagle it is perhaps the next stage in him fully maturing as a footballer - I thought he nullified Montagna apart from the 1 goal at the end of the second quarter, and I thought Eagle had more impact in the second half

The Coon Dog
06-08-2007, 03:33 PM
As a bigger bodied midfielder who not only licks down an opposition midfielder Tyson Stenglien generates alot of his own ball for the Eagles. This is perhaps the sort of role that Sam Power could look at. He would need a HUGE pre season to ensure he can run games out in the midfield tho.

firstdogonthemoon
06-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Montagna beat Eagleton. Though he didn't do a lot and didn't kill us as he has the past few times, Eagelton did a lot less. We really needed runners on Friday and it was a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Who was on Dal Santo and what was Ray's role of Friday?

So Montagna beat Eagleton, however he has killed us in the past and didnt on Friday.

So the difference was.......he was having a bad game? He is out of form?

Or Eagleton crushed him.

Make your mind up!

bornadog
06-08-2007, 06:32 PM
So Montagna beat Eagleton, however he has killed us in the past and didnt on Friday.

Or Eagleton crushed him.

Make your mind up!

I thought Montagna was not as effective as he has been in the past and therefore Eagleton was able to contain him.

Go_Dogs
06-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Yeah, Eagleton had a quieter game, but he quelled on of their most influential players for us which is a win. Montagna still had a few kicks, but not his usual impact.

GVGjr
06-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Montagna only had a limited impact even though his stats were superior to Eagleton. Either way you look at this Eagle did the job.

Same with Power, Harvey has wrecked us a number of times over the years and I'd think the coach would be happy with Powers game.

Both of the guys are at varying crossroads of their careers. Eagle will not be the free flowing midfielder in the coming two season and needs to adjust his game. In some ways Power is playing for his career so he needs to prove that he has a few strings to his game. If shutting down an opposition player is his best option my guess is that he will work his tail off to prove he can perform those types of duties.

bornadog
06-08-2007, 07:20 PM
In some ways Power is playing for his career so he needs to prove that he has a few strings to his game. If shutting down an opposition player is his best option my guess is that he will work his tail off to prove he can perform those types of duties.

One thing I noticed about Power was that he wasn't as keen to get rid of tha ball as he has been in the past, he actually thought about it first before giving off the ball. He seemed to also hit his targets, which has been lacking.

GVGjr
06-08-2007, 07:34 PM
One thing I noticed about Power was that he wasn't as keen to get rid of tha ball as he has been in the past, he actually thought about it first before giving off the ball. He seemed to also hit his targets, which has been lacking.

Plus he also did some strong tackles. The stats might not indicate and if you didn't actually see the game you would have missed it but overall it was a reasonably positive game. I'm sure Eade will consider using him in that type or role again.

mjp
06-08-2007, 07:55 PM

Because he is 'The SCALPEL'!

Bulldog Revolution
07-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Because he is 'The SCALPEL'!

I had that running through my head every time he touched it friday night, and the couple of times I watched the replay

LostDoggy
07-08-2007, 10:15 AM

Or Eagleton crushed him.

Make your mind up!

It think it was pretty close but a points decision to Montagna
For the record Eagleton had 5 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks 3 tackles.
Montagna had 14 kicks, 5 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles and 1 goal.

While he might of quieten down Montagna a little, Eagleton did bugger all else.

southerncross
08-08-2007, 07:53 PM
It think it was pretty close but a points decision to Montagna
For the record Eagleton had 5 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks 3 tackles.
Montagna had 14 kicks, 5 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles and 1 goal.

While he might of quieten down Montagna a little, Eagleton did bugger all else.

I think he was asked to sacrifice his game to curb Montagna and he did his job. I don't think anyone is saying he played a great game but it seems you are undervaluing his effort a bit.

The Coon Dog
08-08-2007, 09:59 PM
I think the role Eagleton & Power played on Friday night was crucial in that they stopped the run thru the middle, which restricted the ball coming into the forward line as much as it had in the 2 preceding games.

LostDoggy
08-08-2007, 11:29 PM
I think he was asked to sacrifice his game to curb Montagna and he did his job. I don't think anyone is saying he played a great game but it seems you are undervaluing his effort a bit.

OK fair enough.
My question now is would we have won if let Montagna run free and Eagleton had of played a better game?

The Coon Dog
09-08-2007, 08:51 AM
OK fair enough.
My question now is would we have won if let Montagna run free and Eagleton had of played a better game?

I don't think so. I think Montagna's best this season has been better than Eagleton's best.

southerncross
09-08-2007, 06:26 PM
I don't think so. I think Montagna's best this season has been better than Eagleton's best.

Montagna is an up and comer who is having his best season.
Eagleton hasn't been as effective as last season but I think he has still been very good for us.