PDA

View Full Version : Dale Thomas Bump

wimberga
12-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Just wondered for those who saw last night Nab cup final, what did you make of the head high bump on Thomas? The essendon player certainly got his head, however Thomas definitely put on a theatrical performance to emphasize the free kick. Who was the essendon player and will he get weeks?

As for the Exaggeration of the bump, does this have a place in the game? is "flopping" for lack of a better word, a "dirty, or dishonorable" thing to do, or is it part of the game now?

Imo, the free kick was definitely there, but am just wondering if Thomas's exaggeration of the bump will have an impact on the MRP view of the incident.

Your views?

anfo27
12-03-2011, 03:39 PM
It was high but whether he will be in trouble or not I don't know. I thought Thomas was Ronaldo for a second there.

boydogs
12-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Ducked and turned into it. Selwoodesque.

KT31
12-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Maybe Thomas should get a week for his acting.

jazzadogs
12-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Crameri was the Essendon player. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a week or two at weekly lotto.

Ghost Dog
12-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Crameri was the Essendon player. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get a week or two at weekly lotto.

Like^^

Greystache
12-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Ducked and turned into it. Selwoodesque.

+1

Socceresque performance from a primadonna.

AndrewP6
12-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Saw it, said it was a free kick...and then nearly dropped my CC when the replayed showed that girl's ridiculous "person in a car crash" dive. Makes me hate him even more. Knowing the AFL Lottery...er, Match Review Panel, Crameri will probably get a week. Thomas ought to be cited for being a tosser. I know that's not a reportable offence, but in MY Australia... :)

boydogs
13-03-2011, 12:46 AM
I know that's not a reportable offence, but in MY Australia... :)

Agreed. I thought the umpiring in general was very soft last night. I don't want AFL to become soccer.

mjp
13-03-2011, 10:30 AM

The last thing you want as an 'unknown' or 'young' player is to go to the tribunal...they seem to always cop weeks.

Ghost Dog
13-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Agreed. I thought the umpiring in general was very soft last night. I don't want AFL to become soccer.

^^ Well said

LostDoggy
13-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Well said? Soccer has a lot less grey areas in the rules (let alone changing them every year) and is not open to as much individual interpretations by up to 3 different umpires.
Yes we wouldn't want as level a playing field like soccer.

As for acting for frees, its been part of AFL for a long time. ask Neville Crowe why he missed a GF?

Sockeye Salmon
13-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Well said? Soccer has a lot less grey areas in the rules (let alone changing them every year) and is not open to as much individual interpretations by up to 3 different umpires.

As for acting for frees, its been part of AFL for a long time. ask Neville Crowe why he missed a GF?

I absolutely agree with you that the simple rules are a strength of soccer and the AFL rules committee without doubt are doing some damage to the game, but if you have to go back 44 years for your example you're clutching at straws.

Yes, players dive in the AFL - Matthew Lloyd and Gavin Wanganeen were champions at it, but there are as many dives in your typical soccer match as there are in your typical AFL season.

Your rules point was well made, the defensive shot was not necessary to your arguement.

Accept that soccer has a massive problem with diving and hope that the authorities do something real about it rather thaqn use the St. Kilda defense - "Am not, you are!!!"

Ghost Dog
13-03-2011, 12:57 PM

Was referring to AFL not becoming like Soccer - in ref to diving.
It's just a little more common in Soccer than AFL isn't it Chops?:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
13-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Was referring to AFL not becoming like Soccer - in ref to diving.
It's just a little more common in Soccer than AFL isn't it Chops?:rolleyes:

It might be.
The reference was umpiring very soft not the diving.:rolleyes:

Ghost Dog
13-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Correct. Umps need to come down harder on diving.

LostDoggy
13-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Correct. Umps need to come down harder on diving.

Yes, the afl need to take leaf out of the soccer if that's the case. You can get a free, carded or suspended in soccer if it's noticed during or post match. The afl talked a lot of crap last year about it but I haven't seen anything different yet.

LostDoggy
13-03-2011, 05:26 PM
That dive was more criminal than what should just have been a free kick (Hibbard? or Crameri?). Off course nothing will happen to Daisy.

FrediKanoute
15-03-2011, 04:35 AM
I absolutely agree with you that the simple rules are a strength of soccer and the AFL rules committee without doubt are doing some damage to the game, but if you have to go back 44 years for your example you're clutching at straws.

Yes, players dive in the AFL - Matthew Lloyd and Gavin Wanganeen were champions at it, but there are as many dives in your typical soccer match as there are in your typical AFL season.

Your rules point was well made, the defensive shot was not necessary to your arguement.

Accept that soccer has a massive problem with diving and hope that the authorities do something real about it rather thaqn use the St. Kilda defense - "Am not, you are!!!"

Soccer's probelms is that the rules are crystal clear, but they are so often not applied. If ref's paid every infringement in the penalty box then scores would be 10 or 15 goal games....mostly from penalties. They don't though and that's the problemwith soccer, a decision to award a penalty or send a guy off can drastically swing a game!

Topdog
15-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Yes, the afl need to take leaf out of the soccer if that's the case. You can get a free, carded or suspended in soccer if it's noticed during or post match. The afl talked a lot of crap last year about it but I haven't seen anything different yet.

haha like the guy from Arsenal I suppose.

FIFA are way too soft.

LostDoggy
15-03-2011, 02:17 PM
haha like the guy from Arsenal I suppose.

FIFA are way too soft.
I know you are just trying to pot me but what are you comparing here? The original post said umpiring which I stand by that afl should take a leaf out of soccers book. If you are comparing afl overall to FIFA overall, afl is way softer.

Topdog
15-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Not trying to pot you and "soccer" is my no.1 sport but you have made a ridiculous comment so I called you up on it.

This is what I was referring to with the highlighting of the word post match.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/6101071/Arsenals-Eduardo-faces-two-match-Uefa-ban-for-diving.html

A clear dive which they banned him for.....then 2 days later it was overturned

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/6190753/Uefa-cave-in-over-Eduardo-dive-takes-game-closer-to-dark-side.html

Umpiring and rules are slightly different but the AFL need to take a leaf out of soccers book and leave the bloody rules alone.

LostDoggy
15-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Maybe you should go back and read the whole thread properly next time if you are not trying to pot me. Who is arguing whether the diving is worse? The original quote is umpiring. If you believe it's better in the afl your deluded

Topdog
15-03-2011, 05:22 PM
But umps in soccer give players a free ride for diving. Do you honestly think that diving is well handled in soccer?

Whats this obsession with you being potted about?

LostDoggy
15-03-2011, 06:38 PM
But umps in soccer give players a free ride for diving.

No they don't, there might more diving in soccer but least there are mechanisms to fine, suspend, caution and free kick against players that do. The AFL talked big about just fining players, haven't seen one in yet.

Do you honestly think that diving is well handled in soccer?
Different issue.

Whats this obsession with you being potted about?
Your obsession not mine. Only you would look at my post and go over ground already covered.

LostDoggy
15-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Is this thread about Dale Thomas or soccer? (Or Chops being potted??)

wimberga
15-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Yeah we got a little off topic here

Not sure if anyone saw but Crameri was cleared by the Match Review Panel.

Still wonder if there should be a penalty for the simulation of Thomas though. Dont like it.

Topdog
16-03-2011, 02:43 PM
No they don't, there might more diving in soccer but least there are mechanisms to fine, suspend, caution and free kick against players that do. The AFL talked big about just fining players, haven't seen one in yet.

My issue was one point and you have somehow stated it again here. FIFA also talked big about fining and suspending players. Even though diving occurs more in soccer we are yet to see anyone fined or suspended for it.

Not sure how it was going over something already covered seeing as I was the first to respond to your post but yes I am obsessed with you, a person I have never met and agree with on this topic to a 90% degree. The 10% is that FIFA don't punish players.

LostDoggy
16-03-2011, 07:36 PM
My issue was one point and you have somehow stated it again here. FIFA also talked big about fining and suspending players. Even though diving occurs more in soccer we are yet to see anyone fined or suspended for it.

Incorrect. :) Rivaldo was fined for diving at the WC2002. Juventus's Krasic was given 2 matches for diving last year. I also know Gilardino(Italy) was suspended for claiming a hand ball goal which is in the same boat (faking).
I like how you have left out cautioned and a free kick. That certainly hasn't happened in the AFL yet.

Not sure how it was going over something already covered seeing as I was the first to respond to your post but yes I am obsessed with you, a person I have never met and agree with on this topic to a 90% degree. The 10% is that FIFA don't punish players.

Its convenient of you to join the thread at the end and think you are at the start then pick on 10%.

Twodogs
17-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Let's get back to the topic at hand guys. That is Dale Thomas is a dirty, filthy rotten cheat who plays for a club who's players the AFL wouldnt dare to sanction for fear of provoking a reaction from the great toothless unwashed.

If you want to discuss diving/simulation in another spot then take it here http://www.woof.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24 .

Otherwaise I'll have to close the thread and I really dont want to do that.

LostDoggy
18-03-2011, 11:01 AM
I've actually grown a bit of respect for Thomas in the past year. I think he took the doubts of many and turned them on their head. Had a great year, should have won a Norm Smith and will be interesting to see if he carries that on this year.

Riewoldt another example. Champion footballer, takes dives. Johnno, dived often. They are just doing what they can for their team. They undoubtedly couldn't give a rat's whether we think they're tough or not as a result. Much like soccer ;) (let's not start that again though)

I hate diving, absolutely loathe it, but as long as the umps pay frees, as long as the benefit is there, they'll do it. Fines or suspensions are not going to worry a player if that very action won the team a game.

Topdog
19-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Incorrect. :) Rivaldo was fined for diving at the WC2002. Juventus's Krasic was given 2 matches for diving last year. I also know Gilardino(Italy) was suspended for claiming a hand ball goal which is in the same boat (faking).
I like how you have left out cautioned and a free kick. That certainly hasn't happened in the AFL yet.

LOL so a $8000 fine and 1 suspension in how many years and you are happy with that and use it as evidence to support your thinking?

Its convenient of you to join the thread at the end and think you are at the start then pick on 10%.

No I knew as I was at the end, it's just that no one else pulled you up on that comment. Sockeye did on something similar but you ignored his comments. You mustn't be obsessed with him.

Anyway I'm done clearly FIFA are brilliant with the way they stop diving and the AFL need to copy their approach to stop Dale Thomas from being a pansy.