PDA

View Full Version : Ayce Cordy's progress

LostDoggy
13-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Whilst its still early days is anyone else concerned with how Cordy is progressing?

He was drafted highly as a father son selection
He was a very skinny kid and was always a long term project
Hasn't played a lot of football for Williamstown because of injuries
He has added a lot of size in the last 6 months

Even allowing for the injuries and the fact he has added a lot of size which takes time it just seems to me that he still isn't adjusting to the rigors of AFL football.
From some training sessions I have seen his mobility looks to be impacted by him carrying additional weight.

I think he is still a long way off becoming a regular senior footballer.
Happy to hear any countering views on him.

GVGjr
13-03-2011, 11:00 AM
I doubt we will see a lot of progress this year and we have to take the longer term view with him.
Adding weight effectively to what was a very skinny frame would be a big challenge to Cordy and the fitness staff.

Dogs 24/7
13-03-2011, 06:14 PM
My mail is that he is still regarded as a long way from being a senior footballer. The club hasn't been successful at managing the weight gain and maintaining his mobility.

Go_Dogs
13-03-2011, 06:44 PM
My mail is that he is still regarded as a long way from being a senior footballer. The club hasn't been successful at managing the weight gain and maintaining his mobility.

It was always going to be the most difficult aspect of his development. Hopefully he can just get some sort of continuity playing some 2's or 3rds, wherever. Going to need a couple more years of development it would seem at this stage, and I wonder if we really don't know where he'll play yet either? If he loses a bit of mobility perhaps playing in the ruck will be the go given we know he had a good motor. We've also seen him trialled as a defender this season, which could be an interesting option if he can move well and quickly.

Must be very challenging and at times frustrating for him, so hopefully he can continue to persist.

MrMahatma
14-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Tall, thin, mobile. He'll always be tall. He won't be able to play if he remains too thin. Will he always be mobile?

Tough balance he needs to strike and time is on his side.

Twodogs
14-03-2011, 11:31 AM
It's a classic problem that taller and bigger players seem to have. I just think we have to be a bit more patient with Ayce.

Perhaps he is a victim of the huge expectations we had for him when he was drafted? Looking back the expectations were huge.

azabob
14-03-2011, 11:36 AM
It's a classic problem that taller and bigger players seem to have. I just think we have to be a bit more patient with Ayce.

Perhaps he is a victim of the huge expectations we had for him when he was drafted? Looking back the expectations were huge.

It was almost like he was our "great white hope" as before Ayce we didn't have any talls coming through.

We had known about him for how long? So each year he got closer to being drafted the more exited we all became. Very similar to Wallis and Liberatore.

With father & Son picks comes great expectation.

FrediKanoute
15-03-2011, 04:26 AM
Personally I'm not at all concerned. My expectations of Ayce this year are that he get game time, preferably in the Willy Seniors. To me that is what he has lacked most of all (not unlike Tom WIlliams). Give him time and he will develop. The moce to the backline is a good one for him.....we are short on the ground in terms of key backs.

LostDoggy
15-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Didn't Rocket indicate that he was going to get a run in the Nab Challenge? He definately has bulked up and seems to be moving well and what I saw of him in the Willy intraclub, he could be an option both fwd & back. He still has to do his apprenticeship at Willy tho

Mantis
15-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Didn't Rocket indicate that he was going to get a run in the Nab Challenge? He definately has bulked up and seems to be moving well and what I saw of him in the Willy intraclub, he could be an option both fwd & back. He still has to do his apprenticeship at Willy tho

He did early on, but at about the same time Ayce had some shin soreness which affected his training program which meant he wasn't able to play at the highest level thru the practice match games.

Mofra
15-03-2011, 11:52 AM
The Burger at Brissie has a similar development profile to Cordy hasn't he?
Skinny, talented ruckman. On that basis, he may debut this year and play a few games in 2012.

Twodogs
15-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Personally I'm not at all concerned. My expectations of Ayce this year are that he get game time, preferably in the Willy Seniors. To me that is what he has lacked most of all (not unlike Tom WIlliams). Give him time and he will develop. The moce to the backline is a good one for him.....we are short on the ground in terms of key backs.

It's a good analogy. Tom was the first guy I thought of the first time I read this thread. I realise they have different reasons for taking time to improve and play senior footy but Ayce's time frame to becoming a regular contributor to the senior team might be the same as Tom's.

AndrewP6
15-03-2011, 06:57 PM
It was almost like he was our "great white hope" as before Ayce we didn't have any talls coming through.

We had known about him for how long? So each year he got closer to being drafted the more exited we all became. Very similar to Wallis and Liberatore.

With father & Son picks comes great expectation.

This is my issue, I think. When he was picked up, I heard the buzz, associated the surname (and looked at his first name!), and got a bit excited. Since then, he hasn't been sighted (in a Dogs jumper, that is). Being my pessimistic self, I'm starting to think he'll never debut!

Bulldog Revolution
17-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I feel the same way as others

What I want to see is continuity of fitness

The kid moves well, and has a feel for the game - or at least he's seemed to in the little I've seen

Just needs some sustained fitness

Swoop
18-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Realistically after everything he has been through with injuries and weight gain his one and only goal this year should be to play a full season of VFL and get some conintuity in his football.

Fingers crossed he has a good run with injuries and is able to get through the season unscathed and renewed confidence.

strebla
18-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Realistically after everything he has been through with injuries and weight gain his one and only goal this year should be to play a full season of VFL and get some conintuity in his football.

Fingers crossed he has a good run with injuries and is able to get through the season unscathed and renewed confidence.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This hit the nail on the head

Bulldog Joe
18-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Just back from watching Willy v Box Hill at Whitten Oval.

Ayce played as No 1 ruck and did extremely well.

Held his ground very well in every contest and outperformed Hawthorn's Max Bailey.

Maddog37
18-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Great to hear. Thanks b joe

LostDoggy
18-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Just back from watching Willy v Box Hill at Whitten Oval.

Ayce played as No 1 ruck and did extremely well.

Held his ground very well in every contest and outperformed Hawthorn's Max Bailey.

Prato also took the centre bounces and showed he had a great leap and moved well. Cordy was rotated a bit and looked to be blowing pretty hard. Ayce also looks heaps bigger and broader than a few months ago.

Bulldog Joe
18-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Prato also took the centre bounces and showed he had a great leap and moved well. Cordy was rotated a bit and looked to be blowing pretty hard. Ayce also looks heaps bigger and broader than a few months ago.

Agreed Magic

I did think Prato has made great improvement and also did very well. Thought Ayce showed more strength in the contest. Also feel that Tom Hill did ok p;aying forward and he contested a couple of ball ups very well.

Go_Dogs
18-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Agreed Magic

I did think Prato has made great improvement and also did very well. Thought Ayce showed more strength in the contest. Also feel that Tom Hill did ok p;aying forward and he contested a couple of ball ups very well.

Great to hear 3 of our giants had good games. Early stages, but good signs nonetheless.