Burgoyne too high
Kieren Jack too low

Topdog
15-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Buddy too high.

Doc26
15-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Agree, Burgoyne far too high at 21.
Lake, the premier full back, is too low at 22. Believe he has now gone past Scarlett (@19)
I hope Shaun Higgins proves he is top 30 this year.
Barry unlucky not to push into top 50 with J Riewoldt at 23
4 Hawks in top 21 is a joke but hardly surprising considering the media's infatuation with them.

LostDoggy
15-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Seems to be a pretty fair assessment of our list, agree that Fit Lake should rate lower(higher) in the listing.

I heard a grab from an interview with mike on SEN this morning where he ha state that his list is where he thinks each player will rate by the end of 2011 and not at the start of the season.

Does anyone know if this has always been his criteria or is it just this year?

aker39
15-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Always

Mantis
15-03-2011, 10:43 AM

His list at the start of each year is always a predictive list, the list at the end of the year is on performance.

G-Mo77
15-03-2011, 10:46 AM
I guess it's his opinion and not based on anything else but I'll pick it apart anyway.

Buddy far to high. Best player in the game?

I laughed when I read Burgoyne lucky to be in the 50.

I'd have Lake, Morris and O'Brien higher. (That's the backman in me talking)

Davey, Waite and Munday I wouldn't even put in there either.

I think he was also generous with Griffen and Higgins. Although Grifs finals campaign puts him up amongst it.

mjp
15-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Based on 2010 there is no way Higgins should be on the list. If Higgins is 30, I have no issue with Burgoyne being at 21...better track record and finished last year in slashing form.

J. Brown is no longer a top 20 player.
Mumford at 39...is he even going to lead the ruck for Sydney? Is that definite?
If it is about 2011 then Hodge is in injury trouble, as is Frawley - as is Sandilands.

Corey Enright and David Mundy are too low based on 2010.

Selwood now playing without Ablett...I guess we are going to find out some things with him.

Ozza
15-03-2011, 11:25 AM
With it being a predictive/speculative type list then I guess its just that - a prediction.

Personally - I can see where he is coming from on Shaun Burgoyne. For mine, he is such a classy player, and could be the difference of Hawthorn being a contender. He was terrific in the second half of last year - and that was without having had a pre-season. With a pre-season, and more familarity of his teammates he could be super this year......speculatively of course!!!

I hope Sheehan is right about Higgins...

Cyril gets such big wraps doesn't he? I know he's exciting....but I'd also like to see him get 15 touches or more two weeks in a row!

EasternWest
15-03-2011, 11:38 AM
With it being a predictive/speculative type list then I guess its just that - a prediction.

Personally - I can see where he is coming from on Shaun Burgoyne. For mine, he is such a classy player, and could be the difference of Hawthorn being a contender. He was terrific in the second half of last year - and that was without having had a pre-season. With a pre-season, and more familarity of his teammates he could be super this year......speculatively of course!!!

I hope Sheehan is right about Higgins...

Cyril gets such big wraps doesn't he? I know he's exciting....but I'd also like to see him get 15 touches or more two weeks in a row!

A question straight from the McAvaney playbook. One that usually goes unanswered.

I agree though, as much as he's great to watch, I wouldn't have him in the top 50.

As much as I hate to admit it, I don't think there's a better player than Nick Riewoldt IMO.

LostDoggy
15-03-2011, 11:57 AM
His list at the start of each year is always a predictive list, the list at the end of the year is on performance.

If thats the case then I am happy with the Jack Reiwoldt V's Hall rating but would have to disagree with the Lake v's Scarlett. these shoudl be reversed.

Agree with the Higgins rating - to be all Australian this year IMHO

LostDoggy
15-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Is Sandilands really a better player than these?

7. DANE SWAN
8. LUKE HODGE
9. JOEL SELWOOD
10. SCOTT PENDLEBURY
11. ADAM COONEY
12. JONATHAN BROWN
13. MATTHEW PAVLICH
14. PAUL CHAPMAN
15. ADAM GOODES
16. JIMMY BARTEL
17. CYRIL RIOLI
18. LENNY HAYES

jazzadogs
15-03-2011, 05:49 PM

7. DANE SWAN
8. LUKE HODGE
9. JOEL SELWOOD
10. SCOTT PENDLEBURY
11. ADAM COONEY
12. JONATHAN BROWN
13. MATTHEW PAVLICH
14. PAUL CHAPMAN
15. ADAM GOODES
16. JIMMY BARTEL
17. CYRIL RIOLI
18. LENNY HAYES
Yes...

I think the fact that he's clearly the number one ruckman in the game is partially behind such a high rating, but I think he's a good enough player to deserve it.

Don't think Buddy quite deserves No. 1 at the moment, but we'll wait and see.

I think that this list is a lot more dangerous for Sheahan than the end of year, because this is based on his own expectations rather than the end of year, which is slightly more objective.

chef
15-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Fair effort Mike. The only issue I have is Lake will be in the top 10 by the end of the year IMO.

AndrewP6
15-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Given that it's a predictive list, not too bad. But Buddy at no. 1? Big call, IMO. Will be thrilled if Higgins and Griff back his call of them.

Go_Dogs
15-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Graham Cornes and Stephen Rowe on 5AA were pretty disappointed no Crows player made it :D

Overall I think it's not a bad list. He's obviously expecting Hawthorn to have a good year, and must rate us relatively highly too because we feature much more than we have in previous years.

The Underdog
15-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Given that it's a predictive list, not too bad. But Buddy at no. 1? Big call, IMO. Will be thrilled if Higgins and Griff back his call of them.

I'm leaning towards Hawthorn finishing top 2. If that's the case Buddy will be at least top 5 and Burgoyne will probably have had a season that rates him close to top 20.
I'd be astounded if Higgins is the 30th best player in the league by the end of the year especially given he's been injured for as much time as he's been on the ground in his career.
Thought Morris was a touch lucky. Don't get me wrong, I idolise what he does defensively but he doesn't impact games going the other way enough to make him top 50.
Won't be at all surprised to see J. Riewoldt struggle a bit more this year.
Oh yeah, Kade Simpson on the unlucky to miss out, really?

LostDoggy
16-03-2011, 08:33 AM
I'm leaning towards Hawthorn finishing top 2.

You have to say that or youre in the dog house. ;)

Mofra
16-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Mumford at 39...is he even going to lead the ruck for Sydney? Is that definite?
If Mumford is at 39, how does Cox miss out (given he is rumoured to be flying this pre-season)?

It's easy to criticise him but I guess the task is near impossible, especially this first list which is crystal ball gazing.

LostDoggy
16-03-2011, 11:34 AM

7. DANE SWAN
8. LUKE HODGE
9. JOEL SELWOOD
10. SCOTT PENDLEBURY
11. ADAM COONEY
12. JONATHAN BROWN
13. MATTHEW PAVLICH
14. PAUL CHAPMAN
15. ADAM GOODES
16. JIMMY BARTEL
17. CYRIL RIOLI
18. LENNY HAYES

Yes...

I think the fact that he's clearly the number one ruckman in the game is partially behind such a high rating, but I think he's a good enough player to deserve it.

I guess another way to ask this question was: "If you were starting a team off if 2011 and have all these players to choose one from would you be selecting Sandilands?" Although he's probably the #1 ruckman surely you be taking a Swan or Selwood?

On a side note I'm glad that Dale Morris is getting noticed. Even though high in the list, I fell he is a underated player in the league.

LostDoggy
16-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Would definately put Lake & Morris higher in the list. ??? Buddy. Good player but #1. I can't agree on that.
Just ask the umpires who gave Judd the brownlow last year.

The Underdog
16-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Would definately put Lake & Morris higher in the list. ??? Buddy. Good player but #1. I can't agree on that.
Just ask the umpires who gave Judd the brownlow last year.

I'd argue the Brownlow is almost the worst indicator of the best player in the league. It's rarely the best player of the year who wins it.

Greystache
16-03-2011, 02:17 PM
I can't understand his justification of Scarlett higher than Lake if he is actually predicting the season ahead rather than past performances. Is Scarlett at 32 this year suddenly going to turn around 2 years of indifferent form and fitness to produce another career best year that is going to be better than Lake who's in his prime?

I don't care about his list I just found that one baffling.

LostDoggy
16-03-2011, 09:00 PM
I can't understand his justification of Scarlett higher than Lake if he is actually predicting the season ahead rather than past performances. Is Scarlett at 32 this year suddenly going to turn around 2 years of indifferent form and fitness to produce another career best year that is going to be better than Lake who's in his prime?

I don't care about his list I just found that one baffling.

Too true.
The only way Scarlett would get ahead of Lake would be if Brian has a injury riddled season. And lets all try not to imagine that senario.

La la la la la...... Happy thoughts.

Bulldog Revolution
16-03-2011, 09:16 PM
I hope and pray that Higgins can live up to this billing

mjp
17-03-2011, 11:27 AM
I guess another way to ask this question was: "If you were starting a team off if 2011 and have all these players to choose one from would you be selecting Sandilands?" Although he's probably the #1 ruckman surely you be taking a Swan or Selwood?

Not me.

I would take a player who is clearly the best at his position ahead of others who are just in a group of high quality mids. I would happily allow others to pick Swan and Selwood and 'settle' for Cooney, or Bartel, or Pendlebury, or Ablett, or whomever as a mid. Sandilands is a freaking monster though and even the next rung of ruckman (Jolly, Jamar, Hudson etc) cannot go with him when he is playing well.

My issue with Sandilands is that he has barely trained or played this pre-season and struggled with injury late last year...if it is a predictive article then on what basis is he projected so high? For example, if Higgins is in the top 50 based on his pre-season / pre-season form, how does Sandilands hold such a high spot under the same criteria?