PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Hooper?

LostDoggy
15-03-2011, 11:45 AM
We all remember when he got picked in the prelim last year, but really, since them i haven't seen his name mentioned this pre-season.
Has he been playing any of the games this pre-season? Is he injured, is there some reason why he hasn't been picked or what is it? I thought he had some potential from that one game, but to not see him again so far is a little disappointing

EasternWest
15-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Came back out of shape. Did the worm on the car.

Two things that can't help him in the eyes of the coaching staff.

soupman
15-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Came back out of shape. Did the worm on the car.

Two things that can't help him in the eyes of the coaching staff.

Disagree on worm having any influence over selection/non-selection.

I think Hooper's problem is a few things:

-Is a one position player at this point, and that position is a forward pocket. With the sub rule we would prefer players with more versatility.
-Came back out of shape
-Doesn't get much of the footy
-Is up against more cerdentialled players for his spot/they have a broader range of things to bring to the team. ie. Djerrkura appears to have more pace and versatility.

I find it dissapointing list management that we promoted him off the rookie list and gave him 2years. At most I would have given him a 1 year contract (especially with the news that recruiting Djerrkura and Veszpremi was likely), and probably would have preffered leaving him on the rookie list like Freo tend to do with their young rookie's who debut (DeBoer and Pearce?).

Maddog37
15-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Has he even played in any of the preseason games though?

If not surely injury is part of the problem as playing games would help with fitness.

LostDoggy
15-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Has he even played in any of the preseason games though?

If not surely injury is part of the problem as playing games would help with fitness.

Saw him in once game. Didn't see him get a touch though

Cyberdoggie
15-03-2011, 02:42 PM
I think he played against Freo over in Bunbury.

Certainly he will find it difficult due to his role limitations and lack of fitness to play in the middle or as a defensive tagger.

I think once the season is underway we'll again see Hooper kicking plenty of goals for Williamstown. He's not a pretty looking player but he knows how to find the goals.

soupman
15-03-2011, 03:11 PM
I think he played against Freo over in Bunbury.

Certainly he will find it difficult due to his role limitations and lack of fitness to play in the middle or as a defensive tagger.

I think once the season is underway we'll again see Hooper kicking plenty of goals for Williamstown. He's not a pretty looking player but he knows how to find the goals.

This is the one way he is going to get in the side atm. By consistently kicking lots of goals for Willy and providing defensive pressure.

Not sure it's enough to see him get games ahead of others though.

Desipura
15-03-2011, 04:16 PM
I would not be at all surprised if he is part of the illustrious 1 game wonders.

EasternWest
15-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Disagree on worm having any influence over selection/non-selection.

Hmm. Fair enough.

I can't see it being held in his favour either.

LostDoggy
15-03-2011, 05:14 PM
I would not be at all surprised if he is part of the illustrious 1 game wonders.

Wow, a bit soon to be calling that isn't it? Give the fella a chanceā€¦

Topdog
15-03-2011, 05:23 PM

was thinking the same thing.

Happy to be proven wrong.

azabob
15-03-2011, 06:15 PM

was thinking the same thing.

Happy to be proven wrong.

It is hard to see him getting more senior games.

Which begs the question (which has been asked a lot) why did we feel the need to offer him a contract to get on the senior list?

AndrewP6
15-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Seems a nice fella, but to be honest, I can't see him getting a heap of games (for reasons mentioned by others, who I'm too lazy to quote!)

Greystache
15-03-2011, 07:04 PM
It is hard to see him getting more senior games.

Which begs the question (which has been asked a lot) why did we feel the need to offer him a contract to get on the senior list?

Seems like another Mulligan decision, difficult to understand.

Go_Dogs
15-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Seems like another Mulligan decision, difficult to understand.

Considering the way we traded (which we couldn't have guaranteed at the time of his contract, could we?) and the fact that we probably could have just kept him on as a rookie regardless as he still probably wasn't a good chance to play a heap of senior footy like Moles was, it is a bit of a strange one.

That being said, from reports he went OK at Williamstown often kicking multiple goals without probably putting in dominate performances and plays a role that we were struggling for numbers in.

As mentioned above the sub rule probably doesn't help him as he's a bit one-dimensional and probably lacks the tank to be super effective.

LostDoggy
21-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Hooper is actually a hard ball midfielder, the sort of player first to the ball to clear to the outside midfielders, strong body, very quick over 20m , good vertical leap, safe hands. With his height he would draw opponents to tackle him too high. All this negative talk about him being one dimensional is a pile of crap, he is a versatile player who easily fits in the best 22 , his fitness base is keeping him from making that permanent. I know for a fact that Rocket thinks the same way, but we both know that Cross is the first choice hard ball midfielder and for Hooper to get his fitness base up to challenge Cross for his position will take a lot of hard work

Maddog37
21-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Genetics would mean he will never be as fit as Cross IMHO.

Ghost Dog
21-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Hooper is actually a hard ball midfielder, the sort of player first to the ball to clear to the outside midfielders, strong body, very quick over 20m , good vertical leap, safe hands. With his height he would draw opponents to tackle him too high. All this negative talk about him being one dimensional is a pile of crap, he is a versatile player who easily fits in the best 22 , his fitness base is keeping him from making that permanent. I know for a fact that Rocket thinks the same way, but we both know that Cross is the first choice hard ball midfielder and for Hooper to get his fitness base up to challenge Cross for his position will take a lot of hard work

Interesting

soupman
21-03-2011, 01:05 PM

Not sure on the bolded.

Has he played midfield with any effect at VFL level? From my understanding at VFl level he plays almost entirely as a small forward. If he isn't going to play in the midfield there why would he when he plays AFL? You can say he is versatile but I would disagree. His physical abilities alone hinder his ability to play in defence (exposed for height by almost every opponent) or the midfield (as stated by yourself he isn't fit enough).

He'll never be fitter than Cross, and I'm not sure we need him to step up as a hard inside ball winner when early indications are that both Libba and Wallis will both be very good in this area, and we already have Boyd, Cross, Ward, Picken, Hudson and possibly Djerrkura in this role.

I do hope he makes it, but at the moment I struggle to see why it was neccessary to promote him to the senior list, and I'm not sure whether atm he would add enough to be a good member of the best 22. I'm happy to be proved wrong though.

Mofra
21-03-2011, 01:50 PM
He has played the high forward role at Willy at times - I'm not sure he's fit enough to play his full allotment of minutes there.

With the new sub rule, full time FPs would have to be outstanding to get a game if they are not fit enough to rotate through other parts of the ground. It makes it harder for guys who aren't elite runners to get a game.

Ghost Dog
21-03-2011, 02:24 PM
he wouldn't be in the system unless he'd shown a bit at times.

However, The kids coming through the draft these days are all lean, super fit - his body shape is a bit of a rarity these days. Which player, playing for other clubs at present, could Hooper use as a model?

Swoop
21-03-2011, 02:26 PM

However, The kids coming through the draft these days are all lean, super fit - his body shape is a bit of a rarity these days. Which player, playing for other clubs at present, could Hooper use as a model?
Jarryd Blair would be the one that springs to mind.

Topdog
21-03-2011, 02:54 PM
All this negative talk about him being one dimensional is a pile of crap, he is a versatile player who easily fits in the best 22 , .

How does a guy who played 1 game last year suddenly get the tag of "easily in the best 22".

Has shown absolutely nothing. Has potential and I'd love for him to make it and do the worm on the ground but seriously best 22?

Go_Dogs
21-03-2011, 08:42 PM
He has played the high forward role at Willy at times - I'm not sure he's fit enough to play his full allotment of minutes there.

With the new sub rule, full time FPs would have to be outstanding to get a game if they are not fit enough to rotate through other parts of the ground. It makes it harder for guys who aren't elite runners to get a game.

I wonder if he could get some extended time off a hbf at B's level too? His kicking hasn't proved to be elite, or even quite good, at this time and on the goal line with his height he could be a liability. On the plus side, he has speed, he's tough and courageous and not afraid to lay a tackle.

ledge
21-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Ilike him, he has balls.

LostDoggy
22-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Genetics would mean he will never be as fit as Cross IMHO.

It's all about hard work. Not coming back in good shape isn't a good start though.

Couldn't this be a strength? I always prefer the bloke with something different to the cookie-cutter footballer.

LostDoggy
22-03-2011, 11:00 AM
His fitness after Xmas break is what probably stopped him. He does have a quick 1st 20m burst, but is that enough. He played most of his years in Ballarat in B/Pkt and some on ball. Goes in hard and at time was probably what we were looking for but Harbrow (now hopefully Wood) took that posn.
His weight does fluctuate but he thinks he's got that under control.
Who knows, with his solid little frame, he may be a little nugget aka:Charlie Sutton.
Hope he can get a few more games, but we do have quite a strong list. For Once. :)

The Bulldogs Bite
22-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Addison is probably in our best 22 when fit, or at least very close to.

:rolleyes:

Ghost Dog
22-03-2011, 01:21 PM
COME ON HOOPS! Ya little brick.

LostDoggy
23-03-2011, 08:09 PM
The best 22 and the list are two totally separate things really. You don't get rid of a bloke because he's not in the best 22. WHat happens when injuries hit?

Nothing wrong with Hooper spending another year in the wings. If someone better comes along to fill his spot, sweet, but until then, I'm sure they'll keep him around.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-03-2011, 09:27 PM
The best 22 and the list are two totally separate things really. You don't get rid of a bloke because he's not in the best 22. WHat happens when injuries hit?

Nothing wrong with Hooper spending another year in the wings. If someone better comes along to fill his spot, sweet, but until then, I'm sure they'll keep him around.

Agree, but I think the one thing a young fringe player does not want to do is lose the hunger and commitment by getting ahead of himself thinking he has arrived on the back of getting 1 game under his belt. Clubs will perservere for a time with a young player out of form but who shows commitment and applies himself. But as Mal Lynch as an example shows, if you do not put in the required effort and display the commitment you can find that your potential counts for nought when clubs sit down at the end of a season and try to decide who stays and who goes.
The fact that Hooper didn't present himself in good condition at the start of the pre-season means he really need to knuckle down and apply himself this season and show the players and staff that he really has the burning desire to improve himself and become a viable prospect worth perservering with.

AndrewP6
23-03-2011, 10:26 PM
COME ON HOOPS! Ya little brick.

Thank goodness 'b' and 'p' aren't next to each other on the keyboard!:)

Ghost Dog
23-03-2011, 10:49 PM
thank goodness 'b' and 'p' aren't next to each other on the keyboard!:)

lol. Andrew, you make me laff gov'ner
( I must admit I had to do a double take to check the spelling.!)

COME ON HOOPS!! GET SOME INSPIRATION AT THE CHURCH OF ST LIBERATORE AND PROVE EVERY NAYSAYER HERE WRONG!

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Thank goodness 'b' and 'p' aren't next to each other on the keyboard!:)

They are often close enough on mine Andrew :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I probably should have written that as " easily in our best 22 once he has raised his fitness level " . Young Andy needs to have a look at Shannon Byrnes , he was only accepted in the Senior side once he raised his fitness to an elite level, he is now a dual Premiership player. I would add Brad Hardie to the mix as well , some people might add Brent Harvey as he is the same height as Andy . The reality is the Club has a healthy and flexible list, the interchange rule will mean the Sub player will have a specific role to fit in with the coach's tactics for each game, Tall , Short, Speed , Skill , Experience , Youth , Back , Forward , Ruck . Andy has a lot of work in front of him to make sure he fulfils his potential . To see Wallis , Libba, DJ, and Stacky named in the extended Round 1 side shows the calibre of players in front of him. I am expecting at least 6 rounds before we find the right balance , by then Lake , Shaggy ( hopefully) and others will be fully fit. I have been quoted as saying that by Round 10 Hoops will be in the mix and I stand by that, to all the people who doubt Andy's ability to play, make sure you chew that Humble Pie properly

Topdog
25-03-2011, 10:46 AM
It's still a ridiculous statement like that.