PDA

View Full Version : Tough

Twodogs
22-03-2011, 11:26 AM
My son was reading a book about Brownlow medalists today while we were waiting for for his sister to get ready for school. He read the section on Dipper and was very impressed with what it said about his heroics in the '89 grand final. I told him about the Mark Yeates/Dermot Brereton collision in the same game. I showed him the picture of Dermie doubled over in pain spewing on the ground and explained that Dermie refused to leave the ground and went up forward and kicked a couple of goals in the first quarter.

Then we got onto Brodie Holland's cheap shot on Brett Montgomery in the 2006 elimination final V Collingwood. We talked about how we were at the game (he can remember being in the crowd and the hostility amongst the two sets of supporters) and how tough Monty must have been to come back on the ground. He even kick a couple of goals in the second quarter despite not really knowing where he was or what he was supposed to be doing.

I just wanted to know if anyone has seen a more heroic act by a bulldog player? I can remember a couple of big hits that Libba copped. That egg he had on his forehead in his last game against North springs immediately to mind. But I dont recall anything more impressive than Monty.

LostDoggy
22-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Granty, after moving to CHB, running backwards with the flight of the ball, without ever looking back or flinching, to mark in front of on-rushing packs over and over and over and over, ad nauseum, week in, week out, making one of the most dangerous acts on a footy ground look as routine as picking up the milk. He was easily the game's premier backman for nigh on two years, the media love-in with Silvagni, Archer and Jakovich notwithstanding.

Twodogs
22-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Granty, after moving to CHB, running backwards with the flight of the ball, without ever looking back or flinching, to mark in front of on-rushing packs over and over and over and over, ad nauseum, week in, week out, making one of the most dangerous acts on a footy ground look as routine as picking up the milk. He was easily the game's premier backman for nigh on two years, the media love-in with Silvagni, Archer and Jakovich notwithstanding.

It was great to watch, wasnt it?

Dont forgt the dignity he displayed when Ian Collins stole his Brownlow in 1997. He took it on the chin and never complained. I know it's a different sort of tough but he must have been sorely tempted to bag Collo, the AFL or anyone who'd listen. But he never said a word. That man had the lot-class, talent, courage and out and out brilliance!

aker39
22-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Dont forgt the dignity he displayed when Ian Collins stole his Brownlow in 1997. He took it on the chin and never complained. I know it's a different sort of tough but he must have been sorely tempted to bag Collo, the AFL or anyone who'd listen. But he never said a word. That man had the lot-class, talent, courage and out and out brilliance!

Don't worry, I made up for Granty's silence.

Ian Collins walked through the EJ Whitten Bar at Etihad after a game and I gave him the biggest spray possible. The arrogant prick just kept walking.

Twodogs
22-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Ian Collins walked through the EJ Whitten Bar at Etihad after a game and I gave him the biggest spray possible. The arrogant prick just kept walking.

Heh! I guess he realised there was no point trying to defend the indefendable.

Maddog37
22-03-2011, 12:56 PM
It was great to watch, wasnt it?

He had plenty of chin to cop it on!:D

Still my favourite player to ever lace on a boot .........what a great player. I used to get really upset when Bruce Mc would say things like "Carey would kick this".

ReLoad
22-03-2011, 01:06 PM
well, not really in with the spirit of playing on, but two incidents stick in my memory.

Terry Wallace getting that coat hanger from Rod Grinter, I was sitting up in the Gent stand with my gran, and we all collectively went ape droppings.

The second was when Peter Foster got intentionally tripped (vs hawthown?) and busted his leg, I Always remember fozzie putting everything on the line.

Mofra
22-03-2011, 01:10 PM
The second was when Peter Foster got intentionally tripped (vs hawthown?) and busted his leg, I Always remember fozzie putting everything on the line.
Paul Deer. Ruined Fossie which was awful because he was a crowd favourite and never seemed to leave anything in the tank.

As for past players:

Didn't Steve Wallis play a finals series with a busted hand, and he had to crack off the plaster cast before each game?

Libba used to put his head over the ball every time, before the head was sacrosant.

If only we could get two players like that onto our list... :cool:

The Coon Dog
22-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Didn't Steve Wallis play a finals series with a busted hand, and he had to crack off the plaster cast before each game?
No, it was 1996. Wally played his last few games with a busted hand. We were awful that year.

Cyberdoggie
22-03-2011, 01:48 PM
No, it was 1996. Wally played his last few games with a busted hand. We were awful that year.

Yeah it's in the "year of the dogs" doco.

From memory Rick Kennedy is addressing the players before the last game of the year and Wal's last game of his career, and mentions that he is playing with a busted hand.

Rick's rather animated speech was a cracker as well. You can see the crazy in his eyes.

Twodogs
22-03-2011, 01:48 PM

Wally also limped back onto the ground in the last quarter of a game V The Swans in 1985 at Whitten Oval. He had a broken bone in his foot or leg (forget which exactly) but we had no-one else left on the bench and Steve just went to stand in the goal square so at least the Swans had to put someone on him. The Swans ran right over the top of us and looked they were going to steal the game until, you guessed it, WALLY kicked the sealer!

That man had more guts than ten mere mortals.

Twodogs
22-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Yeah it's in the "year of the dogs" doco.

From memory Rick Kennedy is addressing the players before the last game of the year and Wal's last game of his career, and mentions that he is playing with a busted hand.

Rick's rather animated speech was a cracker as well. You can see the crazy in his eyes.

Terry Wallace implored the players to do it for Wally at three quarter time in that game as well. They very nearly did it too.

Sedat
22-03-2011, 02:05 PM
Libba copped a brute of a shiner that closed his eye shut against the Cats in a top of the table clash at Princes Park in 1997 (was around Round 8 or so). He was BOG of course, and he was instrumental in getting us over the line in that game. Was also the game where Brad Wira played very close, ahem, attention to Buddha Hocking.

As a collective group, I thought our win in Adelaide last year, with half the team stricken by the flu and unable to breath properly, was a very courageous win. Likewise our effort to come from 5 goals down and win a cut-throat final wasn't given due kudos (what with it being Roosy and Kirky's last game and all)

ReLoad
22-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Firmly tongue in cheek.

When I was old enough I was allowed to stand in the outer behind the goals at the scoreboard end with my uncles, and used to stand on a milk crate to see the game.

Once, uncle Ken, bit into a donut from the Jiffy donut van in the opposite pocket to the scoreboard, the jam was so hot it burnt the inside of his mouth out, sure he taught me a few swear words that day but then he drank another few tinnies and kept on yelling and screaming, thats dedication and commitment. :P

EasternWest
22-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Paul Deer. Ruined Fossie which was awful because he was a crowd favourite and never seemed to leave anything in the tank.

As for past players:

Libba used to put his head over the ball every time, before the head was sacrosant.

I see what you did there.

I don't want to praise a sniper too much, but Jordan Lewis was incredibly brave to run with the flight before Harbrow ironed him out. Pretty gutsy from both players, but at least JH could see it coming. Probably one of my favourite moments from last year.

LostDoggy
22-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Libba standing on the MCG Members wing and Mick Martin charging towards him at full pace, ball tucked under arm with the intention to steam roller him.

Libba stationery, took him head-on with not one inch of side-step, jumped in the air, tackled him to the ground with Martin palpably guilty of holding the ball.

Still brings tears to my eyes.

I think the last game of 98.

Twodogs
22-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Libba copped a brute of a shiner that closed his eye shut against the Cats in a top of the table clash at Princes Park in 2007 (was around Round 8 or so). He was BOG of course, and he was instrumental in getting us over the line in that game. Was also the game where Brad Wira played very close, ahem, attention to Buddha Hocking.

As a collective group, I thought our win in Adelaide last year, with half the team stricken by the flu and unable to breath properly, was a very courageous win. Likewise our effort to come from 5 goals down and win a cut-throat final wasn't given due kudos (what with it being Roosy and Kirky's last game and all)

1997 Sedat!

IIRC it was the game that Libba dropped the F-bomb in the aftergame interview as well. He said "That was ****ing top effort by all the boys" on the old footy station that Optusvision or whatever it used to be called had.

I had some moronic Geelong supporters (are their any different type of Geelong supporters?) stamnding behind me shouting "You're a squib Brad Johnson-You'll never cut it as a footballer". They all had buck teeth and red hair that seems to be mandatory for Geelong supporters.

Desipura
22-03-2011, 02:21 PM

Did you show him your umpries licence at the time? If you did, he may have taken that away from you as well :D

The Coon Dog
22-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Libba copped a brute of a shiner that closed his eye shut against the Cats in a top of the table clash at Princes Park in 1997 (was around Round 8 or so).

What was funny about that (accidental kick to the head by Bluey McGrath) was Libba received a free kick & it was late in the game. We were kicking with a howling gale & Libba would have needed 2 kicks to make the journey.

James Cook raced up & was given the pill & calmly slotted it through half post high from 60 out to gives us the lead, which we never surrendered.

Sockeye Salmon
22-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Carlton's Bob Chitty worked in a sawmill.

He lost a finger in an accident there on a Saturday morning, bandaged it up and played that afternoon before going to hospital.

Sedat
22-03-2011, 02:31 PM
1997 Sedat!
Fixed ;)

The greater municipality of Geelong has an absolute mortgage on ugly red heads. They all bow to the alter of Scratcher Neal.

LostDoggy
22-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Dale Morris played the last half of 2009 with a cracked bone in his leg IIRC

Bulldog Joe
22-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Fixed ;)

The greater municipality of Geelong has an absolute mortgage on ugly red heads. They all bow to the alter of Scratcher Neal.

Don't blame the genetic deficiencies on a good Tassie boy like Robert Neal.
Incidentally most of his family caried the Scratcher title in local footy.

Ghost Dog
22-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Firmly tongue in cheek.

When I was old enough I was allowed to stand in the outer behind the goals at the scoreboard end with my uncles, and used to stand on a milk crate to see the game.

Once, uncle Ken, bit into a donut from the Jiffy donut van in the opposite pocket to the scoreboard, the jam was so hot it burnt the inside of his mouth out, sure he taught me a few swear words that day but then he drank another few tinnies and kept on yelling and screaming, thats dedication and commitment. :P

So funny. King of posts

Twodogs
22-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Carlton's Bob Chitty worked in a sawmill.

He lost a finger in an accident there on a Saturday morning, bandaged it up and played that afternoon before going to hospital.

One of my mates is Peter Chitty's (one game for St Kilda, brother of Bob and winner of the Changi brownlow) grandson. The family story is that at half time he decided that the badage was doing more harm than good so he ripped it off and played the second half without it. Now that's tough!

BTW I've converted said mate from a Carlton supporter to bone fide bulldog!

BulldogBelle
22-03-2011, 03:49 PM
A couple of Chris Grant's come to mind.

1. Playing on after recovering when he got knocked out through a punch in the back of the head from Johnathan Brown.

2. After getting hit in the head from a different incident and having a delayed reaction head jolt response Bruce the goose suggested that Grant was putting it on. Two minutes later the biggest egg that you would have seen in your life developed on Grant's head. Do you still think that he was putting it on?

Bulldog4life
22-03-2011, 06:38 PM
A little known fact about the courageous and great E.J. Whitten was that he played a lot of his career with a broken scaphoid bone. That is the reason why he invariably wore a white bandage on one wrist.

Twodogs
22-03-2011, 06:42 PM
2. After getting hit in the head from a different incident and having a delayed reaction head jolt response Bruce the goose suggested that Grant was putting it on. Two minutes later the biggest egg that you would have seen in your life developed on Grant's head. Do you still think that he was putting it on?

Barry Hall at the SCG? Back in the bad old Rohde days.

SonofScray
22-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Sav Rocca broke Libba's nose in his farewell game didn't he? Some sort of milestone anyway. He stuck it out in true Libba fashion. The toughest of them all. He gets bagged out for a few perceived indiscretions but took much more than he ever gave.

Outside of Libba Steve Wallis and Chris Grant immediately sprang to mind for toughness over the span of a career. Monty's effort in the final though was epic, real 'cometh the hour, cometh the man' type stuff. Do that in a GF and you become immortal.

Go_Dogs
22-03-2011, 07:32 PM
But I dont recall anything more impressive than Monty.

Hard to disagree with Monty for mine (although anything pre-early 90's I have no idea given my age.

Monty's stands up very well for mine given the context, finals footy, and his performance after copping the knock was first class. One of my favourite Bulldogs games that one, knocking off the Pies and giving Smith and West the chance to play their 300's together. I'm sure Monty's actions lifted the team on that day and showed a lot of the guys who are still around and were quite a bit younger then, the sort of hardness, willing and determination required to be successful in finals footy.

AndrewP6
22-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Not sure how they compare to the other acts here, but a few recent Bulldog efforts were tough. Griff playing hurt through the 2010 finals (and playing B&F footy too!), Morris with his back injury, Crossy playing with two bad ankles, Lake playing with a catalogue of injuries...

Go_Dogs
22-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Not sure how they compare to the other acts here, but a few recent Bulldog efforts were tough. Griff playing hurt through the 2010 finals (and playing B&F footy too!), Morris with his back injury, Crossy playing with two bad ankles, Lake playing with a catalogue of injuries...

Great call, playing through serious injury is definitely tough. I remember a fantastic article Eade wrote about Grant (can't recall the specific milestone) and he went on with great admiration for the way Chris had still played at a very high level even though suffering from serious injury concerns.

Hargrave is another who springs to mind to that end.

EasternWest
22-03-2011, 08:50 PM
One of my mates is Peter Chitty's (one game for St Kilda, brother of Bob and winner of the Changi brownlow) grandson. The family story is that at half time he decided that the badage was doing more harm than good so he ripped it off and played the second half without it. Now that's tough!

BTW I've converted said mate from a Carlton supporter to bone fide bulldog!

Peter's son, Roger, is a friend and colleague of mine. Roger is as hard as nails and maintains his Dad is the toughest man he's ever known; humble and unassuming to boot.

If anyone is unfamiliar with the story of the Changi Brownlow, you should look it up. Remarkable story of resilience and humour.

I've held the Changi Brownlow a number of times. Quite an honour.

LostDoggy
22-03-2011, 09:21 PM
I think Monty's effort was as good as anything, although you (with the great memories) have all reminded me of others over the years. Turtle was as courageous as they come, and Libba snr., well we used to say "if they open him up after he has left this earth, they will likely find a heart as big as Pharlaps". I don't recall him ever flinching or trying to avoid a collision. And yes, Wally was a tough one too. Others may recall better than me, but Steve (Super) McPherson was never one to take a backward step - he could hand it out, but boy, he took it as well. :)

JohnGentStand
22-03-2011, 10:40 PM
for mine it's terry wallace after copping that shattered jaw from grinter's kinghit. His career could have been over but he had it wired up, put on a helmet and was back playing almost before he could chew. Say what you want about the man but his ticker was the size of big ben.

dog town
22-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Pretty sure Chris Grant played for a period in one of his last seasons with a ridiculous set of injuries. He had something wrong with his head, some type of leg injury and of course that neck problem that plagued him. He and Leigh Colbert amazed me with the way they launched at the ball and put themselves in such danger.

w3design
22-03-2011, 11:19 PM

As for past players:

2 players like that? How would you go for 3. Absolutely loved 'old' Libba and Wal. But if it comes to fearlessly putting your head over the ball, Crossy, Picken and Addison never fail to put their bods on the line for the Doggies. And I cannot recall Dale M. ever ducking an issue either for that matter. I think the present line up may not be the most talented we have ever had, but I doubt we have ever had a more courageous group over all. And my recollections go back to the flag year at least.

Twodogs
23-03-2011, 10:26 AM

As for past players:

I think there is a young Fossie waiting out there too.

strebla
23-03-2011, 10:33 AM
I love this thread Turtle is always going to be a fave and Monty and libba personify guts Plough with his broken jaw playing the very next week was amazing but Andrew Purser was about 5 foot 2 (not really) and rucked all day each and every week against the like of monsters like monkhurst and paul kicker dear he just kept going and going and going and was as tough as any in the doggie jumper I have seen

Ghost Dog
23-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Libba standing on the MCG Members wing and Mick Martin charging towards him at full pace, ball tucked under arm with the intention to steam roller him.

Libba stationery, took him head-on with not one inch of side-step, jumped in the air, tackled him to the ground with Martin palpably guilty of holding the ball.

Still brings tears to my eyes.

I think the last game of 98.

Classic
"Tears to my eyes"....made me laugh out loud. Ah I love being a dogs supporter.

Liam Picken is much loved, especially when he goes toe to toe with Adam Goodes or some other heavy weight without blinking twice. There's nobody in AFL who could intimidate him.

egan-kennedy-ford
23-03-2011, 11:51 AM
This is a great thread.

Over my 30 years or so of watching the Dogs, there have been a half dozen or so players whose toughness were outstanding.

All bar one have been mentioned here.

The player I want to include in the mix is Steve Kretiuk.

He played the bulk of his career injured, often battled manfully against bigger opponents and gave100% at every contest.

He and Matty Croft held an undersized defence together for years over an era where we won a lot more than lost. If the team needed it, Kretiuk could hold down a full game against Carey at CHB or run with a Nathan Buckley or Hird all day and throw his battered body through the ringer week after week.

Twodogs
23-03-2011, 01:31 PM

He played the bulk of his career injured, often battled manfully against bigger opponents and gave100% at every contest.

Kretiuk could hold down a full game against Carey at CHB or run with a Nathan Buckley or Hird all day and throw his battered body through the ringer week after week.

Bloody good nomination. It frustrated me for years watching Kritter going up against the monsters in defence. What really annoyed me was thinking about how he would have dominated in the midfield-opposition teams would have had all sorts of trouble matching him up. But instead every week he'd be playing on forwards who were taller than him doing a job that taller defenders should have been doing.

I used to have a list of tall defenders that had transfered between clubs that we could have had a go at getting. Peter Caven is one that comes to mind but my list had about 12-15 names on it who changed clubs in the time that Crofty and Kritter were playing out of position.

To my mind Croft was a natural forward and Kretiuk was a natural midfielder who were forced to play out of position due to our reluctance to try and get a defender who could play on the monster forwards who dominated the comp in the mid to late '90s.

bornadog
23-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Lots of great stories posted, but the toughest bulldog I have ever seen is Rick Kennedy. Not saying he played with injuries or pain, but inflicted it on others:D

Rick was just scary on the ground, just ask Jacko.

LostDoggy
23-03-2011, 01:56 PM
All Excellent choices, every single one of them. However 1 that comes to mind, and I know it's nowhere the best, was my boy Sam Reid dislocating 3 shoulders in the one game against Hawthorn last year.

He must come from Tassie to have 3 shoulders :rolleyes:

Tom Williams in Brissy a few years ago played the whole game with a broken Foot, and showed why we kept perservering with him

Twodogs
23-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Lots of great stories posted, but the toughest bulldog I have ever seen is Rick Kennedy. Not saying he played with injuries or pain, but inflicted it on others:D

Rick was just scary on the ground, just ask Jacko.

Tit's took Jason Dunstall out surfing one day. The only problem (for Dunstall anyway) was that it was at VFL park and Dunstall was the surfboard!

BornInDroopSt'54
24-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Characters: Terry Wheeler versus Cowboy Neale
Scene: Outer flank, Western Oval
Scenario: Barrell-chested Cowboy charging down the flank with a full head of steam and stealing a bounce or two. Our valiant Squirrel lines him up and delivers the most fearsome full on shirt front, immovable object meets irresistable force.........................immovable object charges on without retardation, Squirrel flat on his backside.
Tone: ****ing hilarious!!!

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 02:38 AM
This is a great thread.

I heard he was a pretty humble type of guy too off the field. I remember a friend of mine was out at a gathering and Steve K was there. When it came to saying what he did for a living he replied he was "in the sporting industry". No showing off about being an AFL footballer.

Classic
"Tears to my eyes"....made me laugh out loud. Ah I love being a dogs supporter.

Liam Picken is much loved, especially when he goes toe to toe with Adam Goodes or some other heavy weight without blinking twice. There's nobody in AFL who could intimidate him.

Here ****ing here!
One of those guys who would probably die on the field if it ment moving the ball 5m in the dogs direction.

Twodogs
25-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Characters: Terry Wheeler versus Cowboy Neale
Scene: Outer flank, Western Oval
Scenario: Barrell-chested Cowboy charging down the flank with a full head of steam and stealing a bounce or two. Our valiant Squirrel lines him up and delivers the most fearsome full on shirt front, immovable object meets irresistable force.........................immovable object charges on without retardation, Squirrel flat on his backside.
Tone: ****ing hilarious!!!

Reminds me of a game at the Western Oval V Carlton in 1978. The Blues had a terrible start to the season and replaced Ian Stewart with Alex Jesalenko as captain/coach after 4 or 5 rounds. Carlton then went on a run of 10+ wins. Just before halftime with Carlton leading by nearly 5 goals Terry Wheeler shirtfronted Jezza right in front of the member's stand and knocked him into the middle of the following week.

Jezza was carried off the ground and Percy Jones had to take over the coaching duties. We ended up winning the game by nearly 5 goals while the Carlton players ran around like chooks without heads.

Result. Pure ****ing bliss!