PDA

View Full Version : 'Footscray End' @ Etihad

The Coon Dog
24-03-2011, 06:48 AM
Peter Hanlon - The Age - 24 March

http://images.theage.com.au/2011/03/23/2248435/johnson_main-420x0.jpg
Former Bulldog Brad Johnson promotes Etihad Stadium’s ‘Footscray End’.

MINDFUL that there's no place like home, the Western Bulldogs will send a makeover team into Etihad Stadium this year, inviting fans to pack the ''Footscray End'' of the ground and make enough noise to raise the roof.

In an initiative aimed at creating a home-ground experience that will bring a sense of the Bulldogs' Whitten Oval history to a venue the club believes will play host to a successful future, the loudest nod to the past will be made by the Hyde Street Band, the brass outfit synonymous with football at the old Western Oval.

The band will take up temporary residence in the forward pocket at the Lockett End, which will be rebadged the ''Footscray End'' for Bulldogs home games.

Article in full... (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-tell-fans-to-make-themselves-feel-at-home-20110323-1c6oc.html)

The Coon Dog
24-03-2011, 06:52 AM
More pics here (http://thekennel.tumblr.com/post/4040486677/the-footscray-end-of-etihad-stadium-will-be).

comrade
24-03-2011, 07:30 AM
That's pretty cool.

The Underdog
24-03-2011, 07:51 AM
That's pretty cool.

Yeah, nice work. Be interesting to see if it takes off.
I've been more than happy to pot some of the club's marketing efforts in the past but a big slap on the back for this one.

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 09:40 AM
The Hyde Street Band is back! Yeah, that brings back good memories! I look forward to the unveiling - should be great....:D

comrade
24-03-2011, 09:43 AM
To make it truly authentic, at half time the cheer squad should be allowed to carry a blanket around the boundary and get coins piffed at them.

:D

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 09:48 AM
To make it truly authentic, at half time the cheer squad should be allowed to carry a blanket around the boundary and get coins piffed at them.

:D

I'm hearing you Comrade - and to take it another step further, the gentlemen with the hessian bag of peanuts (although it is my understanding he has gone to his maker - RIP)!

bornadog
24-03-2011, 10:11 AM
If the club wants to really build up a big Footscray atmosphere, they should have thought about giving every kid a flag with their membership ticket. Imgaine 8000 to 10,000 flags waving when we kick a goal.

The Club should seriously look at this anyway and just give kids flags. Better than those stupid towels from a few years ago. Cost can be covered through a sposors logo - talk to Mission to chuck in another 30k.

aker39
24-03-2011, 10:16 AM
If the club wants to really build up a big Footscray atmosphere, they should have thought about giving every kid a flag with their membership ticket. Imgaine 8000 to 10,000 flags waving when we kick a goal.

Every member that has a reserved seat in the Footscray End has been given thundersticks.

I better take my ear plugs.

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Every member that has a reserved seat in the Footscray End has been given thundersticks.

Yep, I got my thunder sticks!! :D

Looking forward to having a good look at all the player banners next weekend. :)

The Pie Man
24-03-2011, 10:30 AM
This is a very good idea - am I right that it cost a bit extra membership wise to sit there, or is it available to GA members also?

aker39
24-03-2011, 10:39 AM
This is a very good idea - am I right that it cost a bit extra membership wise to sit there, or is it available to GA members also?

It is a reserve seat area. It used to be a Bronze reserve seat area, and now it is called the Footscray End. The cost is $275, so $95 on top of the standard $180 GA Membership.

Twodogs
24-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Bugger. One of my kids was in the Hyde st band until last year but he's gone onto high school now. My youngest is still there and I coud see them in the band room practising every night after school when I was picking her up. The penny should have dropped then.

I wonder if they need parents to go along and help out with supervision? I must ask tonight.

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 10:48 AM

I've had a reserved seat (Bronze) in Aisle 28 for the past 5 or so years. Although it's now called The Footscray End it didn't cost me any more than it usually does. And I got thunder sticks this year!!!! :D

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Thank God I can run and hide in the Sponsors room when the Band and Thunder Sticks start up..........Only kidding ;)

bornadog
24-03-2011, 10:55 AM

What aisles does the Footscray end cover?

I have reserved seats in aisle 31. I think I have been there for about 5 or 6 years.

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Perfect year for me to have signed up in the Footscray End! I'm loving my decision already :D

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 11:00 AM
What aisles does the Footscray end cover?

I have reserved seats in aisle 31. I think I have been there for about 5 or 6 years.

Aisles 21 - 27 according to the website. Although I'm in aisle 28 & my membership says Footscray End. I think it starts from the Bulldogs players race & finishes where the gap in the seats is where the Auskick kids stand before half time. :)

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Perfect year for me to have signed up in the Footscray End! I'm loving my decision already :D

Where's your seat B-Rad? :)

Desipura
24-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Bring back Charlie's Angels, (not the original members as they would be getting on)

Twodogs
24-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Bring back Charlie's Angels, (not the original members as they would be getting on)

And the donut van!

Desipura
24-03-2011, 11:22 AM
And the donut van!
can we put a little hole in the fence at the Footscray end? ;)

bornadog
24-03-2011, 11:34 AM
can we run into the rooms after the game, first come first serve.

Twodogs
24-03-2011, 12:55 PM
can we run into the rooms after the game, first come first serve.

Let 'em in!

ledge
24-03-2011, 06:37 PM
I hope the Hyde Street band has a blanket to cover them when us oldies get the urge to toss a coin at them , nowhere for them to run now?
The Tuba guy would want to have a net, I always had the urge to try and get my coin in there and see if he would choke !

Remi Moses
24-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Great idea from the club .
I'd love to see the punters allowed to throw cut up phone books

And Be able to have a KICK on the precious Etihad turf :eek::eek: