PDA

View Full Version : Pumped/Unpumped

Twodogs
24-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Footy season seems to have rolled around pretty quickly this year. Speaking to other supporters we seem to be a very worried lot this year compared to other years.

All I want you to do is list whether you are pumped or unpumped at the moment and maybe a reason/s why.

Twodogs
24-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Pumped.

With the recruitment of a couple of readymade players, determination after stumbling at the penultimate stage for the last three years, the retirements of a few older guys, the expected improvement in the younger players and the depth in our list I really expect us to have a great year. I can hardly wait for sunday.

1eyedog
24-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Pumped in the short term for what I hope Sherman, DJ and Vezpremi will offer. I am also very optimistic about the long term return we get from Wallis and Liberatore.

We have also got another preseason into Grant, Wood, Reid, Roughhead and even Ward and Higgins. This will stand us in very good stead at the business end of the season.

SlimPickens
24-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Pumped.

Really like our young recruits (Libba, Wallis, Schofield, Skinner), really excited to see further development of Jones, Grant, Roughead etc. Good depth and plenty of blokes vying for spots in the best 22.

EasternWest
24-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Cautiously pumped.

Unlike my bike tyres, which both hit the same Vodka Cruiser bottle on the road today. Thanks bogans.

1eyedog
24-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Cautiously pumped.

Unlike my bike tyres, which both hit the same Vodka Cruiser bottle on the road today. Thanks bogans.

Cautiously pumped is an oxymoron it doesn't count.

What is your avatar? It looks like a Triffid.

I hope you didn't come off your bike.

EasternWest
24-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Cautiously pumped is an oxymoron it doesn't count.

What is your avatar? It looks like a Triffid.

I hope you didn't come off your bike.

Half pumped? Pumped but wary? Pumped with a lid on?

I dunno. That's how I feel.

It's an illustration from a book called "Cabal" by Clive Barker. One of my favourite books.

Thanks for your concern. No crash, just a slip and slide. And an inconvenience. New tyres needed etc....

bornadog
24-03-2011, 02:53 PM
I will tell you after I watch Sundays game.

Twodogs
24-03-2011, 02:57 PM
I will tell you after I watch Sundays game.

It's now or never. Think of your street cred!

Ghost Dog
24-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Pumping ( present continuous )

The Pie Man
24-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Now that it's all starting today, and Twodogs is drumming it up - PUMPED

I wasn't 24 hours ago..wasn't umpumped, just neutral (which to some would mean un-pumped I guess)

Twodogs
24-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Now that it's all starting today, and Twodogs is drumming it up - PUMPED

I wasn't 24 hours ago..wasn't umpumped, just neutral (which to some would mean un-pumped I guess)

I know exactly what you mean. When I switched KB on this morning and he was talking up the footy being on tonight the realisation kicked in. FOOTY'S BACK!

I am so looking forward to sitting on the couch tonight and watching. Cricket being on is a bonus as well.

The Pie Man
24-03-2011, 03:28 PM
I know exactly what you mean. When I switched KB on this morning and he was talking up the footy being on tonight the realisation kicked in. FOOTY'S BACK!

I am so looking forward to sitting on the couch tonight and watching. Cricket being on is a bonus as well.

I'm getting more pumped by the minute - maybe it's been a post Collingwood flag malaise a lot of us have been in...but think about it, everyone should be adamant that they of all clubs can't go back to back. It's been painful enough.

I'm on here a fair bit, so I'm kidding myself if I say I'm not pumped.

Sporting smorgasbord tonight - looking forward to it.

Mofra
24-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Pumped.

We will start slowly (3-3 both of the last two years after the first 6 games) but realistically we should be 2nd favourites after Collingwood for the flag.
We have issues with defensive depth, but Collingwood have issues with ruck depth.

I have a weird feeling that Collingwood this year will be the Hawthorn of 2009 - expected to be world beaters, but with the entire football world chasing you and the gamesytle looking to have changed already judging by the pre-season games, much of their advantage has been eroded.

w3design
24-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Pumped - Skinner, Libba, Mitch Wallis, Grant, Fit Tommygun, Ward and Higgins.
Not so pumped - Unfit Lake and Hargrave

We're as good a chance as any this season. Wide open.

Greystache
24-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Half pumped? Pumped but wary? Pumped with a lid on?

I dunno. That's how I feel.

It's an illustration from a book called "Cabal" by Clive Barker. One of my favourite books.

Thanks for your concern. No crash, just a slip and slide. And an inconvenience. New tyres needed etc....

Totally off track for the thread, but Continental have just released the new Gatorhardshell tyre (for road bike wheels), they're lined with Kevlar and also a vectran breaker, you can stab them and they won't puncture. Avilable in 23-32mm on Wiggle for $40 each.

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Much like DFA4PM's tyre I am currently pumped (or at least at correct operating pressure) but nervously waiting for the first vodka cruiser bottle...after last year I have become wary of confidence.

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Not pumped. Probably because I'm not going to the game on Sunday.

But ask me this time next week and I'm sure I will be pumped!! :)

Maddog37
24-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Could not think of a better way to start the year than giving the golden haired boy and his smug faithful a reality check.

Having said that, if they roll us it will be unbearable at etihad.

So all thinks being equal I am on a bit of a slow burn. If we jump out of the blocks and blow them away I will explode though I reckon.

Ghost Dog
24-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Could not think of a better way to start the year than giving the golden haired boy and his smug faithful a reality check.

So all thinks being equal I am on a bit of a slow burn. If we jump out of the blocks and blow them away I will explode though I reckon.

Have found Bombers supporters to be surprisingly circumspect this season.
Most predict 8th or 9th finish.
Danger game. Would love no season starter better than to witness a complete drubbing by the Dogs.

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 06:18 PM

I am never going to an Essendon home game ever again. I have never had so many awful Essendon supporters talk to me, or rub it in about how they were beating us, or just being complete ****ers in general. Seriously, I hate you all, Essendon.

I'm going to say unpumped this week, but pumped for next week.
All I can think about is how much I hate Essendon, and it's just making me angry.

AndrewP6
24-03-2011, 06:24 PM
As a confirmed pessimist, at this point, probably unpumped. Not certain how the newbies will slot in, and how we'll go covering the absence of Briza. Hopeful that the younger brigade can lift.

Will probably change on game day, and once that first bounce occurs!

Murphy'sLore
24-03-2011, 06:47 PM
I sincerely want to be pumped but I'm too scared.

So at the moment, officially, unpumped. But looking for any excuse to change that status. A nice win on Sunday would be a good start.

Hotdog60
24-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Pumped!!!

I get pumped every year for the last40 odd years, I just love footy so much come rain or shine.

Go Doggies......

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Well if fully pumped is 1000 PSI , then I,m running about 750 PSI , Round 1 , Sub rule , no Johnno , no whatshisname , the list has a fresh mix , we get to yell out " Go Libba " again , no one drank manky Soy Milk , three secret weapons- a Z-Jet, a Sherrin Worm and a Howitzer , anything I missed ?

EasternWest
24-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Well if fully pumped is 1000 PSI , then I,m running about 750 PSI , Round 1 , Sub rule , no Johnno , no whatshisname , the list has a fresh mix , we get to yell out " Go Libba " again , no one drank manky Soy Milk , three secret weapons- a Z-Jet, a Sherrin Worm and a Howitzer , anything I missed ?

Whatshisname. I like it.

On an unrelated matter, why is there always a fullstop after three blank lines on all your posts?

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Pumped, even more if we can claim some big scalps this season.

Would love to get a win over the Pies to shut up MR jones next door!

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Whatshisname. I like it.

On an unrelated matter, why is there always a fullstop after three blank lines on all your posts?

I like my fullstops to have an introspective and egotistical view of the world, enough space for their ego but not enough to dominate the space I give them, I have three fullstops Dave, Rupert and Maria , I,m sure everyone will meet them as time goes by and in the theme of the thread I,m pumped about that and so are they

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 03:58 AM
Chomping at the bit! Love footy to death, its been a long summer waiting for our chance to show the world what weve really got. A loss this week would not surprise without Brian but a win and we will come back from the bye 3 and zip. The blood will be really pumping come Sunday. :)

the banker
25-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Pumped to a support the team. Hopeful that the fresh blood will provide an exciting new dynamic and the key players, of which there are many, will have standout years.
Anticipating a very solid win to start. GO DOGS.

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 10:11 AM
I like my fullstops to have an introspective and egotistical view of the world, enough space for their ego but not enough to dominate the space I give them, I have three fullstops Dave, Rupert and Maria , I,m sure everyone will meet them as time goes by and in the theme of the thread I,m pumped about that and so are they

So which one is this? :D

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Pumped because i'm lost without having the radio on in the background, constantly talking football, wondering who'll be in this week, who'll rise to the fore from our young players, deciding whether it's Williamstown or not today and whether to wear a large jacket or not - thankfully the Towners are a Blighty torpedo from my home this season :)

Daughter of the West
25-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Umpumped - I'm nervous as buggery about this week, I'm scared that Essendon are going to pull out a blinder for their first run with the golden haired boy (and then not be able to back it up for anyone else thereafter).

I'll be pumped again after this game I think, when the season is back in full swing.

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Pumped
Coz My Puppies are coming out to Play :)

However, I am worried about Sunday, The Bombers have a lot of Hype going around since they found their wayward Sons

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Totally pumped!

I'm even pumped about Lake not being in the side, we really need to have a replacement for him for when his body is stretched at the end of the year, somebody like Markovic to take the heat for a week or so to rest him for September is the best possible way to do it, so Brian, I love ya but don't hurry back til you're fit. With 24 weeks this season it's even more important to keep these guys in top nick.

I always get nervous about Essendon, no matter how well they're doing, but I have a tingling in the toes that I'm sure means we're gonna come out firing (I'm certain it's not tinea…)

Mofra
25-03-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm even pumped about Lake not being in the side, we really need to have a replacement for him for when his body is stretched at the end of the year, somebody like Markovic to take the heat for a week or so to rest him for September is the best possible way to do it
If Markovic is even serviceable, it probably puts us in better shape this year than last so it is a positive we can get a game into him early in the season.
The MC admitted that they made an error by not giving Hooper a couple of H&A games last year ahead of the finals.

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Pumped...but also weary.
Markovic will be tested when Ryder is up forward, or even Hille. What if they put both of them up there!? :O Although it is highly unlikely If I wanted to think about the worst possible situation and this would be it, hope we are on top of the Contested MARKovic 's ;)

Pedro Sanchez
25-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Unpumped...

Have moved to Perth after 3 years in london passionately supporting the Arsenal.

Feel completely removed from the hype that footy season in Melbourne creates.

Hoping that watching Libba and with luck Wallis too, play on Sunday will spark the passion again.

At the moment its all about the Arsenal catching the Mancs!

lemmon
25-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Unpumped, in the short term I think we'll start slowly but am really excited about this season. Bigger fish to fry then the bombers...

Chicago1
26-03-2011, 04:13 PM
I'm pumped! Why? Because I'm here!:D

LostDoggy
26-03-2011, 05:02 PM
I'm pumped! Why? Because I'm here!:D

And I had the pleasure of meeting the Famous 1 from Chicago whilst at the Kennel yesterday :D

LostDoggy
26-03-2011, 05:15 PM
And I had the pleasure of meeting the Famous 1 from Chicago whilst at the Kennel yesterday :D

Speaking of being at the kennel yesterday, heard nothing about it, did Lake play? come through unscathed? Play well? Kick 15 goals and take 40 marks? :confused:

LostDoggy
26-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Speaking of being at the kennel yesterday, heard nothing about it, did Lake play? come through unscathed? Play well? Kick 15 goals and take 40 marks? :confused:

Didn't stay to see the Willy hit out Alexxx so can't help out with that.
On a brighter note Shaggy does seem to be running more freely & Gilbee doesn't look far off either :D

LostDoggy
27-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Deflated!

LostDoggy
28-03-2011, 10:35 AM
*Yawns*

Chicago1
28-03-2011, 12:45 PM
I came 10000 miles to see that? :( I felt really down after the match. Very disappointed, but there's always next week...

Ghost Dog
28-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Unpumped!

LostDoggy
28-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Well, seeing as though we got a puncture at the first turn , lets hope we change all four tyres for something with a more aggressive tread and stronger grip

The Adelaide Connection
28-03-2011, 10:24 PM
I came 10000 miles to see that? :( I felt really down after the match. Very disappointed, but there's always next week...

I was feeling sorry for myself having flown over from Adelaide but you have given me a bit of perspective.

Still pumped. We'll float on...

Pickenitup
28-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Still pumped only Round 1 last time i looked flags are not won in March!

The Pie Man
28-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Still pumped. We'll float on...

Is that a bit of Modest Mouse philosophy I detect?

This is only kinda on track, so forgive me if you view it's not. While pumped for the season to start, there was something weird going on with my emotions Sunday, even early when we were up...and then seeing Sherman subbed on for DJ re-inforced it. I don't feel emotionally invested with this group - or at the very least I didn't with our round one team.

It was too unfamiliar - through circumstance I understand, but I didn't go through that much when the Grant/Smith/West/Darcy group gave it away. Wondering if I was the only one...it just felt a bit weird and foreign watching that group.

A bit touchy feely I admit :o

boydogs
28-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Still pumped only Round 1 last time i looked flags are not won in March!

This. Essendon aren't preparing to peak in October ;)

The Adelaide Connection
28-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Is that a bit of Modest Mouse philosophy I detect?

Yep, on the money :)

SonofScray
28-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Unpumped. Nothing about our season in 2010 other than a sniff in the PF got me pumped. Nothing about how we appear to be going about things in 2011 has me pumped. I can't see any of our players lighting things up.

LostDoggy
28-03-2011, 11:35 PM
While I was disappointed, I remeber he year we won the Peter Rhode wooden spoon we thrashed Geelong the first round and went onto WIN the wooden spoon. Likewise we lost the first game last year and had a good year. Have faith brothers and sisters !

The Adelaide Connection
29-03-2011, 12:22 AM
While I was disappointed, I remeber he year we won the Peter Rhode wooden spoon we thrashed Geelong the first round and went onto WIN the wooden spoon. Likewise we lost the first game last year and had a good year. Have faith brothers and sisters !

In 2007 Geelong lost three of the first five (including the opening round to us), then only lost one more for the year and went on to win the flag.

Losing is certainly deflating but it needs to be kept in perspective. If we can go to the bye 2-1 with no fresh injury concerns and pull back Lake for round 5 I will be very happy. You don't wish Brown's injury on anyone but it will be an extra blessing for us as they won't feel like they need to roll the dice on Lake early.

I think the worst thing about losing round 1 would actually be it's affect on our membership numbers. At this point there would be a lot of supporters "umming and ahhing" and last year the Nab cup/Barry hype would have had a lot of these types parting with their money. I think a poor showing would have turned a lot (especially the fickle ones) right off. i am worried that our figures will go backwards this year.

LostDoggy
29-03-2011, 12:44 AM
I know it's easy to be wise after the fact, but not posting in this thread probably proves I'm pretty 'umpumped'. I think GVG and others have mentioned that they could have gone another week without the footy, and I'm very much in the same boat, and losing hasn't helped -- haven't even bothered to watch the download yet.

Maybe come Round 10 and we're 7-2 (there's a bye in there somewhere right?) and beaten Collingwood I'll be a bit more excited, but currently very meh.

We were always going to lose round 1 with all the favouritism going around -- if there's one thing you can always count on the Dogs to do, is lose when everyone tips us.

ps. but it's ridiculous the Essendon fans all getting excited. They beat St.Kilda every year too, but still manage to finish 14th, so I don't think they really need to get too excited yet.

pps. I've read this in quite a few places, so thought I'd comment here: Ryder and Hille are NOT the undisputed best ruck division going around, especially considering how fragile both of them are -- I doubt either of them would get through this season unscathed. Sydney's is easily as good if not better, Freo has a pretty decent one, and North has an similarly talented and fragile ruck group. Collingwood's isn't too shabby either, Geelong has Ottens and Blake, and West Coast would consider their ruck duo pretty mercurial, especially if Cox lasts a whole season.

LostDoggy
29-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Well, seeing as though we got a puncture at the first turn , lets hope we change all four tyres for something with a more aggressive tread and stronger grip

Liking your analogy West Dog, let's hope we were running retreads last week, and this week, full-on first grade expensive tyres! Gotta keep the faith!

ratsmac
29-03-2011, 10:21 AM
UNPUMPED - I hate losing and I especially hate losing to the bombers.

Daughter of the West
29-03-2011, 10:27 AM
I think the worst thing about losing round 1 would actually be it's affect on our membership numbers. At this point there would be a lot of supporters "umming and ahhing" and last year the Nab cup/Barry hype would have had a lot of these types parting with their money. I think a poor showing would have turned a lot (especially the fickle ones) right off. i am worried that our figures will go backwards this year.

One of my mates (who hasn't bought his membership yet) was saying after the match on Sunday that he reckons he's going to give it til round 4 before he buys one, and that he will refuse if we keep playing that way. I almost punched him! :mad:

BTW Do we know what our membership number is at the moment? The tally on the front of the WB website still says 22,503, which I'm sure we passed AGES ago.

1eyedog
29-03-2011, 02:40 PM
One of my mates (who hasn't bought his membership yet) was saying after the match on Sunday that he reckons he's going to give it til round 4 before he buys one, and that he will refuse if we keep playing that way. I almost punched him! :mad:

BTW Do we know what our membership number is at the moment? The tally on the front of the WB website still says 22,503, which I'm sure we passed AGES ago.

I think we are around 29,000 last I heard

Murphy'sLore
29-03-2011, 03:03 PM
I know I said I was unpumped -- I even tipped Essendon to win this week -- and I know it's only Round 1 -- but I still felt gutted. Listening to the rapid disintegration of our game was like being filleted with a blunt knife. Very, very disappointed. I kept waiting for the tide to turn but it never happened.

I just have a sinking feeling that it could be a very long year. Really hope I'm wrong.

LostDoggy
29-03-2011, 08:34 PM

27,765 now according to the website