Rocket to announce on Bulldogs website at 5pm

comrade
24-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Rocket to announce on Bulldogs website at 5pm

Website crashed? :o

bornadog
24-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Website crashed? :o

Is that what happened, I thought it was my computer - what a joke the AFL and Bigpond are.

bornadog
24-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Wood, Markovic, Morris

Murphy, Williams, Stack

Griffen, Boyd, Ward

Higgins, Jones, Giansiracusa

Grant, Hall, Cooney
Hudson, Cross, Liberatore

Interchange from Barlow, Djerrkura, Hill, Minson, Picken, Sherman, Wallis

You would presume off the bench, Picken a definite, then maybe Sherman, Minson and Hill?

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 06:23 PM
With Libba, Markovic and Gia already there its Wog Squad Mark II.

G-Mo77
24-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Gilbee out is a surprise. Is this sending a message early or is he carrying an injury.

bornadog
24-03-2011, 06:26 PM
With Libba, Markovic and Gia already there its Wog Squad Mark II.

Plus the indigenous boys - Hill, Jones, Stack and DJ - don't Anglos play footy anymore:D

bornadog
24-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Gilbee out is a surprise. Is this sending a message early or is he carrying an injury.

Remember he had an injury after North game, so must be still troubling him.

AndrewP6
24-03-2011, 06:27 PM
I've got no proof, but have to believe Gilbs is carrying an injury... from reports, Stack has done OK this summer, but I'd pick Gilbs every day over him.

Remi Moses
24-03-2011, 06:27 PM
No Gilbee or lake . **** me the back 6 looks average

G-Mo77
24-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Remember he had an injury after North game, so must be still troubling him.

That's right. I guess that is possible but in all honesty from what I have seen from in the pre-season his form didn't warrant selection.

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 06:31 PM
I've got no proof, but have to believe Gilbs is carrying an injury... from reports, Stack has done OK this summer, but I'd pick Gilbs every day over him.

My father was at training this morning and said Gilbee was running laps with Hargrave.

bornadog
24-03-2011, 06:34 PM
No Gilbee or lake . F*** me the back 6 looks average

Yes and Morris had an injury through summer as well.

Bulldog4life
24-03-2011, 06:34 PM

Rocket said he is injured and will be back by round 3.

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 06:38 PM
I never thought Gilbee as a 'backman'. The back 6 still has Morris, Wood for run, Murphy for a bit of class. Probably Picken will play there too. No idea what Essendon's forward line is like at a guess not that good.

bornadog
24-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Essendon

B: Kyle Hardingham, Cale Hooker, Dustin Fletcher

HB: Dyson Heppell, David Myers, Courtenay Dempsey

C: Brent Stanton, Jobe Watson, Jake Melksham

HF: Angus Monfries, Michael Hurley, Jason Winderlich

F: Stewart Crameri, Patrick Ryder, Leroy Jetta

Foll: David Hille, Heath Hocking, Mark McVeigh

I/C: Sam Lonergan, Nathan Lovett-Murray, Tom Bellchambers, Brent Prismall, David Zaharakis, Travis Colyer, Ben Howlett

New: Dyson Heppell (Gippsland Power)

Western Bulldogs

B: Easton Wood, Lukas Markovic, Dale Morris

HB: Robert Murphy, Tom L. Williams, Brennan Stack

C: Ryan Griffen, Matthew Boyd, Callan Ward

HF: Shaun Higgins, Liam Jones, Daniel Giansiracusa

F: Jarrad Grant, Barry Hall, Adam Cooney

Foll: Ben Hudson, Daniel Cross, Thomas Liberatore

I/C: Ed Barlow, William Minson, Josh Hill, Liam Picken, Nathan Djerrkura, Justin Sherman, Mitchell Wallis

New: Ed Barlow (Oakleigh Chargers), Lukas Markovic (Eastern Ranges (VIC)), Nathan Djerrkura (Geelong Cats), Justin Sherman (Brisbane Lions), Mitchell Wallis (Calder Cannons), Thomas Liberatore (Calder Cannons)

comrade
24-03-2011, 06:39 PM

The only player missing from that back 6 is Lake. Gilbee (or Hargrave) are no longer lock ins.

I reckon Picken might get a run in the back pocket and is much better defensively than Gilbs, with Murph, Wood and Stack providing the run and carry.

Cheer up, Charlie.

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 06:57 PM
According to the HS, they have this official team.

FB: E.Wood, L.Markovic, D.Morris
HB: R.Murphy, T.Williams, B.Stack
C: R.Griffen, M.Boyd, C.Ward
HF: S.Higgins, L.Jones, D.Giansiracusa
F: J.Grant, B.Hall, A.Cooney
R: B.Hudson, D.Cross, T.Liberatore
Int: E.Barlow, N.Djerrkura,J.Hill, W.Minson

bornadog
24-03-2011, 07:00 PM

So no Picken, I don't think so.

GVGjr
24-03-2011, 07:01 PM
I might have missed something along the way but with Barlow being on the bench has he been officially promoted to cover Hargrave or can you name rookie listed players now and just make the decision closer to the actual game?

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 07:03 PM
So no Picken, I don't think so.

EMG: L.Picken, J.Sherman, M.Wallis
Unavailable: B.Lake,L.Gilbee, R.Hargrave, M.Hahn, B.Moles, Jo.Roughead

divvydan
24-03-2011, 07:10 PM
They've just named the 7 on the extended bench in alphabetical order, putting the first four in the 22 and the last three as emg. Is not in any way an indication of which four will make the cut tomorrow night.

The Coon Dog
24-03-2011, 07:18 PM

Missing from last season's defence are Lake, Harbrow, Hargrave & Gilbee. Who takes the kick ins?

Bumper Bulldogs
24-03-2011, 07:18 PM

Not really I think it adds Murphy down back which should extend his year and gives us a look at a new full back which against the dons is good as they like to prop in the square. I would be more concerned if Marovic was playing on Jack down at Richmond

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Missing from last season's defence are Lake, Harbrow, Hargrave & Gilbee. Who takes the kick ins?

Anyone but Tom.

He had a crack at it at Ballarat and won't be offered another go anytime soon.

Maddog37
24-03-2011, 07:24 PM

Marko has been very accurate by foot in the preseason.

Dazza
24-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Wow that's a different looking team. Good to see we are taking the conservative approach with unfit players.

Greystache
24-03-2011, 07:27 PM

That's a concern for me too. Williams, Wood, and Morris are hardly elite kicks. Perhaps Murphy but with his knee problems he's not the best either.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-03-2011, 07:31 PM

Sherman or Picken for hill and we're ready to go!

jazzadogs
24-03-2011, 07:42 PM
When I saw Picken as an emergency, my mind flashed to this thread. Then I realised my mistake.

They've done well with the team...I'd say Sherman, Picken, Minson with Hill or DJ as the sub. Possibly even Barlow...hard to judge on this one because we have no idea how the team is going to attack the sub.

Has anyone actually heard Rocket's explanations, or is it still not working?

Remi Moses
24-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Not really I think it adds Murphy down back which should extend his year and gives us a look at a new full back which against the dons is good as they like to prop in the square. I would be more concerned if Marovic was playing on Jack down at Richmond

it's an average back six BB. Get the goggles off

Maddog37
24-03-2011, 08:01 PM
That's a concern for me too. Williams, Wood, and Morris are hardly elite kicks. Perhaps Murphy but with his knee problems he's not the best either.

I think Williams is a very good kick. Not such a great decision maker just yet though........murph loves a floater but is effective and Morris very rarely kicks to anyone but an uncontested short.

Where did Sherman play for willy last week. Could he be a back flanker? Picken is first picked every week isn't he? Injury maybe....

BulldogBelle
24-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Stack? He played one serviceable game for our reserves against against Fremantle reserves in Bunbury and he gets a gig.

The rest of our team are A graders with elite skills and there are some few B graders. What elite skills do the Match Committee see that Stack possesses that will turn him suddenly from a D grade player to an A grade player? I can't see that he has any, if somebody has a clue then please enlighten me as I'm eager to learn.

GVGjr
24-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Stack? He played one serviceable game for our reserves against against Fremantle reserves in Bunbury and he gets a gig.

The rest of our team are A graders with elite skills and there are some few B graders. What elite skills do the Match Committee see that Stack possesses that will turn him suddenly from a D grade player to an A grade player? I can't see that he has any, if somebody has a clue then please enlighten me as I'm eager to learn.

A couple of things here:
Not every player in the side has to have elite skills.
Selection in the side isn't dependent on the player being an A grader.

Not 100% sure why Stack has been selected but they might have a specific role for him and I think we need to see if the selectors have a plan for him before criticizing the selection.

soupman
24-03-2011, 09:29 PM

We don't have a heap of fit players to put across there though. Picken will obviously rotate through there, and the only other option I can see who has played in defence this pre-season and is AFL ready is Josh Hill.

Mantis
24-03-2011, 09:49 PM

You obviously don't so why should I or others bother?

the banker
24-03-2011, 10:23 PM
With Cooney forward the front half looks like it should destroy their defence.

Great to see Libba joining the midfield he looked ready in the 2 pre-season matches I saw.

Picken to the back pocket, Wood to the flank and Stack to the bench makes the back half look a little more secure. . If the midfield fail in their defensive roles then the backs may be exposed.

Bench - Sherman, Stack, Minson with Hill as Sub

AndrewP6
24-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Just got back from dinner and noticed - no Vez? Hill must've really impressed over summer. I personally would rather Vez got the chance.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Seems like I am one of few (perhaps the only?) that secretly likes the inclusion of Stack, especially considering we have no Gilbee and Hargrave.

May not have earned his position, but this is a risk worth taking IMO.

anfo27
25-03-2011, 12:39 AM
A couple of things here:
Not every player in the side has to have elite skills.
Selection in the side isn't dependent on the player being an A grader.

Not 100% sure why Stack has been selected but they might have a specific role for him and I think we need to see if the selectors have a plan for him before criticizing the selection.

You're 100% right there GVGjr but i still don't like the selection. James is right that he played 1 good game in Bunbury and he gets a gig. He may have some skills and pace but all i want is for him to show me ticker.

anfo27
25-03-2011, 12:44 AM
You obviously don't so why should I or others bother?

Bit harsh I think. Cause he thinks Stack is a hack then he doesn't have a clue? he wouldn't be the lone ranger there. I think its fair enough to question a players place when he has shown nothing in his 3-4 years at the club. I wish the kid well but i ain't expecting much.

Rance Fan
25-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Addison didnt get a gig either?
Thought he be a good defender for Essendons smaller men.
Hes tough and plays relatively tall.
Can go forward also
???

Oh was he suspended from last year

Well fingers crossed for round 1!!

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 01:11 AM
Stack is doing a Leon Davis already.

jeemak
25-03-2011, 01:32 AM
I'm thinking Stack on a hbf is a curious decision. But, I'm happy they've given something different than Sherman, Picken or Djedurra a run there because I didn't really see the match committee taking a risk like this. Irrespective of pre-season positioning and form.

I remember back to the 2008 preliminary final, where Harbrow started carving it with run and creativity. Give a quick and creative player a chance behind the ball, rather than having to create in front of it and good things can happen. It's a speculative and risky move, but it's definitely not a cynical one.

Mantis
25-03-2011, 08:05 AM
Bit harsh I think. Cause he thinks Stack is a hack then he doesn't have a clue? he wouldn't be the lone ranger there. I think its fair enough to question a players place when he has shown nothing in his 3-4 years at the club. I wish the kid well but i ain't expecting much.

You think?

It's plainly obvious that due a number of key outs in defence Stack has been given an opportunity as he has showed some form down there through the pre-season.

Sure Stack hasn't been a consistent performer as yet, but he deserves this opportunity and I hope he goes well.

GVGjr
25-03-2011, 08:07 AM
Addison didnt get a gig either?
Thought he be a good defender for Essendons smaller men.
Hes tough and plays relatively tall.
Can go forward also
???

Oh was he suspended from last year

Well fingers crossed for round 1!!

Yes, Addison has to miss this game through suspension.

Sedat
25-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Is Minson a lock? Carlton basically had a wasted spot in their side last night with the extra ruckman. Perhaps Barlow comes in to play 2nd fiddle to Huddo? Risky move if the North practice match is any indication but I see the logic against a fleet-footed Essendon midfield brigade.

Whatever the final selected team is tonight, our previous history would suggest there will be at least one late change come Sunday.

SlimPickens
25-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Is Minson a lock? Carlton basically had a wasted spot in their side last night with the extra ruckman. Perhaps Barlow comes in to play 2nd fiddle to Huddo?
Whatever the final selected team is tonight, our previous history would suggest there will be at least one late change come Sunday.

I'd say Minson will play, i thought Hampson was horrible last night until the last 10 min when he pretty much won Carlton the game. Minson isn't the worst ruck/forward going around. Hopefully he can clunk a couple of marks early to get his confidence up and considering his preseason form which has been very good i'd say he wll play.

The Pie Man
25-03-2011, 10:15 AM
You think?

It's plainly obvious that due a number of key outs in defence Stack has been given an opportunity as he has showed some form down there through the pre-season.

Sure Stack hasn't been a consistent performer as yet, but he deserves this opportunity and I hope he goes well.

I'm with you on that Mantis - I've been a bit harsh on Brennan, but at his best he's a smooth mover with good disposal who could just make the HB line work. I think it's worth a try, and will not blame the coaching staff if it doesn't work.

I wish him well, will be very handy if he & Markovic can play well and give the backline more options moving forward.

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 12:00 PM
I'd say Minson will play, i thought Hampson was horrible last night until the last 10 min when he pretty much won Carlton the game. Minson isn't the worst ruck/forward going around. Hopefully he can clunk a couple of marks early to get his confidence up and considering his preseason form which has been very good i'd say he wll play.

Lets pray that if he does get a game we don't get any of those brain fades - run across the mark, give away a free kick when we are having a shot at goal etc. I rate big Wil when he's on, but when he does these silly things, it can be so frustrating - even turn the game.

Mofra
25-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Seems like I am one of few (perhaps the only?) that secretly likes the inclusion of Stack, especially considering we have no Gilbee and Hargrave.
I've been critical of Stack and don't hold alot of faith in him holding his spot, but it is definately a gamble worth taking. He might find it easier to read the play as a backman - I do worry about his concentration levels though, and Essendon might pick up on this and try and drag him back to the last line of defence (away from the HBF).

Maddog37
25-03-2011, 12:18 PM
So what is happening with Moles?

SlimPickens
25-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Bench updated:

Hill
Picken
Sherman
DJ

No Minson very surprised...maybe a late change?

divvydan
25-03-2011, 06:07 PM
According to AFL and HS sites, final team is;

E.Wood L.Markovic D.Morris
R.Murphy T.Williams B.Stack
R.Griffen M.Boyd C.Ward
S.Higgins L.Jones D.Giansiracusa
J.Grant B.Hall A.Cooney
B.Hudson D.Cross T.Liberatore
Int: Hill, Picken, Djerkurra, Sherman

Emerg: Barlow, Minson, Wallis

No second ruck? Surely we can't have Williams in there with Essendon playing Hurley/Ryder/Hille forward and no Lake.

SlimPickens
25-03-2011, 06:11 PM
According to AFL and HS sites, final team is;

E.Wood L.Markovic D.Morris
R.Murphy T.Williams B.Stack
R.Griffen M.Boyd C.Ward
S.Higgins L.Jones D.Giansiracusa
J.Grant B.Hall A.Cooney
B.Hudson D.Cross T.Liberatore
Int: Hill, Picken, Djerkurra, Sherman

Emerg: Barlow, Minson, Wallis

No second ruck? Surely we can't have Williams in there with Essendon playing Hurley/Ryder/Hille forward and no Lake.

The aren't play Bellchambers meaning one of Hille or Ryder will need to be in the ruck. Although i'm surprised we have only gone in with one ruck.

ReLoad
25-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Not happy with the selection of only one ruckman and using Tommy or Hill as backups.

Essendon are well suited as Ryder can jump higher than most ruckman, so in essence they are playing 2 rucks.

As they say in B grade Chinese kung fu movies "Me No Rikey!"

I'd like to think a late change is on the cards.

The Underdog
25-03-2011, 06:16 PM
The aren't play Bellchambers meaning one of Hille or Ryder will need to be in the ruck. Although i'm surprised we have only gone in with one ruck.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Minson or Barlow come in for Sherman who missed a few weeks with injury. Jones would be the other potential back-up but I can't really see them throwing him in there.
Curiouser and curiouser.

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 06:18 PM
DJ or Hill for Sub?

Dazza
25-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Markovic to pinch hit?

Maddog37
25-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Jones and bbh to ruck in front half. Hudson to stay mid and back maybe.

DOG GOD
25-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Hmm not sure what to make of this final team. No 2nd ruck has me scratching my head a bit, as i will cringe to see Tommy running thru the centre taking centre bounces :(

Hill for the Sub, and i hope Stack can actually show something as i dont rate him at all. Hopefully a HBF role can invigorate some potential (if its there).

Hotdog60
25-03-2011, 07:18 PM
If you are only having one ruck maybe Skinner should have debut, as he has rucked before.

Very raw but can play forward and give Huddo a breather.

Still, can't wait for Sunday.

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Jones and bbh to ruck in front half. Hudson to stay mid and back maybe.

Only problem there is the bombers rucks keeping running forward dragging Hudson down back to cover. If they do this all game he will be run off his feet.

Ghost Dog
25-03-2011, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=Mantis;204486]You think?

Sure Stack hasn't been a consistent performer as yet, but he deserves this opportunity and I hope he goes well.[QUOTE]

I'm with you on that Mantis - I've been a bit harsh on Brennan, but at his best he's a smooth mover with good disposal who could just make the HB line work. I think it's worth a try, and will not blame the coaching staff if it doesn't work.

I wish him well, will be very handy if he & Markovic can play well and give the backline more options moving forward.

It's early in the season. Good opportunity to show some faith in potentials.

soupman
25-03-2011, 08:10 PM
In terms of the second ruck could there be a chance of Markovic playing there? Hille is still coming back to full fitness so may play second fiddle to Ryder, so could Markovic just be given a role to follow Hille around. This would mean when Hille is forward Markovic matches up on him, and when he pushes into the ruck Markovic follows.

I'm not sure on his rucking ability, but he's not far off being big enough and it could help us curb Hille's influence around the ground.

the banker
25-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Daniel Cross - first man up....

GVGjr
25-03-2011, 09:00 PM

This is just my opinion but:
Using Williams to support one ruckman is a mistake.
Using Williams to support one ruckman given we already have a depleted back line is and even bigger mistake.

Why not include Barlow?

gohardorgohome
25-03-2011, 09:56 PM
They'll need to bewise with their ruck matchups. Always put Hudson against Hille and Williams / jones against the others.

bold-dogg
25-03-2011, 10:00 PM
My feelings too, GVGjr, but I don't like Barlow.
For me the banker's right, that just leaves Crossy. But jeepers.

Mantis
25-03-2011, 10:01 PM
This is just my opinion but:
Using Williams to support one ruckman is a mistake.
Using Williams to support one ruckman given we already have a depleted back line is and even bigger mistake.

Why not include Barlow?

Who would you have Barlow replacing?

Before I Die
25-03-2011, 10:04 PM
A number of WOOF posters predicted a side with Williams and Morris in the key defensive posts. Perhaps this is the plan. Markovic can play back, forward or in the ruck and has played in all three of rhese positions with Williamstown last year. He could be used to give Hudson, Morris and Williams rests at different stages. Big Barry has often contested boundary throw ins deep in the forward line.

Of course the possibility also exists that Rocket may make a late change and bring in either Minson or Barlow. Historically rookies don't get promoted until they are actually going to be selected, so if Barlow has been promoted he is probably a good chance to get a last minute call-up.

Maddog37
25-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Both saints and cats playing with one ruck man.

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Both saints and cats playing with one ruck man.

Saints are playing McEvoy and Blake...

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Sorry mc I don't agree. Play minson and sub him if he is not required for hill/jerky, the other goes out of the 22.
This side just looks stretched for height to me.

Before I Die
25-03-2011, 10:51 PM

Blake is 189cm tall and has played on the HBF since Thomas got sacked as Aints coach. Minson's pre-season form hasn't been bad, so his non-selection probably means the MC see an opportunity to grab an advantage over Essendon by selecting a more mobile team.

GVGjr
25-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Who would you have Barlow replacing?

Probably DJ.
Not that you have said it but can I ask why you think Williams (assuming it's him) might be the right guy to provide relief for Hudson?

To me even if Lake was playing it's not a great decision to use Williams in the ruck but without him it's an even bigger risk.

Mantis
25-03-2011, 10:55 PM

Blake has spent the last 5 or 6 years playing in defence.

GVGjr
25-03-2011, 10:57 PM

He's done spells in the ruck before though.

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 10:59 PM

Yeah jus saw him in the ruck so jumped all over it haha

mjp
25-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Why not include Barlow?

We always make a late change...does our 22 ever go in as selected? I am also surprised that Barlow isn't playing but suspect that either Hill or DJ will miss and Minson will play.

Maddog37
25-03-2011, 11:34 PM
If they upgraded Barlow you would think they would play him.

Mantis
26-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Not that you have said it but can I ask why you think Williams (assuming it's him) might be the right guy to provide relief for Hudson?

To me even if Lake was playing it's not a great decision to use Williams in the ruck but without him it's an even bigger risk.

Having watched parts of the first 2 games of this round it's been pretty obvious that the ability to run out a game is vital which is why we have decided to go with just the one ruckman. Lenny Hayes mention post last nights game that the players were more fatigued during the last qtr than any other regular season game he can remembering playing in.

I would be hoping that Huddo could play about 70% game time and spend all this time in the ruck. For the other 30% I would be hoping that the likes of Williams, Markovic & Jones could do the job and allow another running player to help out in the running department.

As far taking Williams away from defence without Lake it's probably not an ideal situation, but Essendon haven't gone extremely tall and with Hille & Ryder needing to spend time on the pine we might be able to give Williams a run in the rucks through these periods as Hurley will be the sole tall up forward.

GVGjr
26-03-2011, 10:10 AM
As far taking Williams away from defence without Lake it's probably not an ideal situation, but Essendon haven't gone extremely tall and with Hille & Ryder needing to spend time on the pine we might be able to give Williams a run in the rucks through these periods as Hurley will be the sole tall up forward.

I think it's a flawed logic to move a player that has traditionally struggled with injuries into the ruck especially in an already injury depleted back line.

This was always going to be an issue for us however given the success of some clubs using genuine part timers to support a one ruckman line up especially given we focused on acquiring running players during the trade period and letting the likes of Everitt go in the process.

We really need a versatile tall capable of moving between a few positions and taking few turns in the ruck. Perhaps it's Markovic once Lake returns but I think it will be more likely Williams.
If this is the plan the match committee has then I don't think it's a good one. We might get by for a few weeks but I can't see it being a good option throughout the season.

Mantis
26-03-2011, 10:21 AM
If this is the plan the match committee has then I don't think it's a good one. We might get by for a few weeks but I can't see it being a good option throughout the season.

I would think that the decision to play just one ruck would be made on the opposition we are playing and could also be determined by the performances of Jones.

Go_Dogs
26-03-2011, 10:30 AM
I would think that the decision to play just one ruck would be made on the opposition we are playing and could also be determined by the performances of Jones.

Agree with the mention of Jones, having him in the side is probably one of the reasons we can't go in with 2 rucks. Will be interesting to see how Jones goes and how much time he can spend on the field.

LostDoggy
26-03-2011, 12:22 PM
I think the fatigue is more to do with it being the first game and not having 3 on the bench

Jasper
26-03-2011, 12:27 PM
why is vez not play, is he in injured?

justifying playing Stack on the back flank because he is quick and skillful is wrong because these are 2 skills that he can not combine. The guy almost slows to a walk to kick the footy.

LostDoggy
26-03-2011, 12:43 PM

justifying playing Stack on the back flank because he is quick and skillful is wrong because these are 2 skills that he can not combine. The guy almost slows to a walk to kick the footy.

Not sure why we even kept Stack

The Underdog
26-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Not sure why we even kept Stack

At a base level, I'd say it's because we couldn't get someone to trade for him and he was contracted for this year so we couldn't afford to cut him.
However he's clearly done enough in the pre-season in the match committee's eyes to be given a shot in a side missing some experienced backmen. Let's see what happens before we write him off completely.
If it doesn't work he won't get another shot and he'll be delisted.

The Underdog
26-03-2011, 01:13 PM

Vez not play because he probably leaves us a midfielder or tall short if he do.
He can't play off HB which is clearly the role in mind for Stack and he probably doesn't have the flexibility for different positions or pace that Hill, Djerkurra or Sherman provide. He's pretty much a small forward which there may not be the space for in this line-up. Given it looks like Jones will back up in the ruck then we can't really leave him out either.
I'm sure he'll get his chances when match-ups & form dictate.

Mofra
26-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Daniel Cross - first man up....
Not as silly as it sounds - even if we had a bigger bodied mid to go with Hille/Ryder at the boundary throw ins and have Cross as third man up, we'd still be one midfield ahead of Essendon when the ball hits the ground.

Was it Leigh Matthews who said we'll go back to 1960s football, with a ruck rover who is expected to occasionally ruck?

The Bulldogs Bite
26-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Not as silly as it sounds - even if we had a bigger bodied mid to go with Hille/Ryder at the boundary throw ins and have Cross as third man up, we'd still be one midfield ahead of Essendon when the ball hits the ground.

Was it Leigh Matthews who said we'll go back to 1960s football, with a ruck rover who is expected to occasionally ruck?

Yep.

Very good call. Cross and Boyd have frequently done this in the past, but I'd expect to see more of it.

bornadog
26-03-2011, 02:37 PM
I think it's a flawed logic to move a player that has traditionally struggled with injuries into the ruck especially in an already injury depleted back line.

This was always going to be an issue for us however given the success of some clubs using genuine part timers to support a one ruckman line up especially given we focused on acquiring running players during the trade period and letting the likes of Everitt go in the process.

We really need a versatile tall capable of moving between a few positions and taking few turns in the ruck. Perhaps it's Markovic once Lake returns but I think it will be more likely Williams.

I prefer Williams playing in the backline rather than pitch hitting as a ruckman. In any case, if the ball is in the backline, Williams can ruck there and perhaps in the forward line Jones could help out?

comrade
26-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Previously, I have hated it when Cross and Boyd have gone third man up because they haven't been particularly effective at negating the tap and we're a man down when it hits the ground so the opposition mids generally clear it anyway.

If we use the tactic tomorrow, you would hope that a high half forward knows to move to the contest to give us an extra player when the ball hits the ground.

comrade
26-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Also, does anyone know how Lake went yesterday?

Bulldog Joe
26-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Surely we are not going to go with that official team.

I am absolutely opposed to expecting Hudson to carry the ruck with pinch hitters in support.

comrade
26-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Surely we are not going to go with that official team.

I am absolutely opposed to expecting Hudson to carry the ruck with pinch hitters in support.

BJ, we all know about your man crush on Will ;)

I'd say prepare yourself for some pinch hitting.

Bulldog Joe
26-03-2011, 10:35 PM
BJ, we all know about your man crush on Will ;)

I'd say prepare yourself for some pinch hitting.

It appears you may be right, but all this has come about because Leigh Brown has had a year playing out of his skin.

If we are going to do it Barlow is the player to use.

Why take away someone who is contributing (like Williams for example) and try and make him something he is clearly not best suited too.

If everyone goes this way young talls will receive no chances to establish themselves unless they run like the wind regardless of football ability.

comrade
26-03-2011, 10:44 PM
It appears you may be right, but all this has come about because Leigh Brown has had a year playing out of his skin.

If we are going to do it Barlow is the player to use.

Why take away someone who is contributing (like Williams for example) and try and make him something he is clearly not best suited too.

If everyone goes this way young talls will receive no chances to establish themselves unless they run like the wind regardless of football ability.

I think it has more to do with the sub rule than Leigh Brown. Most sides went in with two rucks last year, but just about every game so far in Round 1 has included one genuine ruck doing 70-80% of the work with the help from a tall who spends most of their time elsewhere - i.e. Mitch Clarke, David Hale, Hawkins, Jason Blake.

We can't afford to have Will spend too much time up forward with Jones playing. I don't like him forward at the best of times, but especially not with these rules. He'd be taking a spot of a resting mid like Cooney which would impact on our rotations.

If we do go in with two ruckmen, ideally it would be Hudson and Roughead as Roughy is much more a natural forward than Will and can clunk them (though non-proven at the highest level). Will is a number 1 ruck pure and simple and is wasted if he's not taking the vast majority of ruck contests.

Our desire to play Jones makes the whole ruck situation very interesting. Without seeing how it will work tomorrow, I do agree that Barlow would seem better option than a mish mash of Williams/Jones/Cross as third man up but where does he play when he's not rucking and who's spot does he take?

Bulldog Joe
26-03-2011, 10:59 PM
I think it has more to do with the sub rule than Leigh Brown. Most sides went in with two rucks last year, but just about every game so far in Round 1 has included one genuine ruck doing 70-80% of the work with the help from a tall who spends most of their time elsewhere - i.e. Mitch Clarke, David Hale, Hawkins, Jason Blake.

We can't afford to have Will spend too much time up forward with Jones playing. I don't like him forward at the best of times, but especially not with these rules. He'd be taking a spot of a resting mid like Cooney which would impact on our rotations.

If we do go in with two ruckmen, ideally it would be Hudson and Roughead as Roughy is much more a natural forward than Will and can clunk them (though non-proven at the highest level). Will is a number 1 ruck pure and simple and is wasted if he's not taking the vast majority of ruck contests.

Our desire to play Jones makes the whole ruck situation very interesting. Without seeing how it will work tomorrow, I do agree that Barlow would seem better option than a mish mash of Williams/Jones/Cross as third man up but where does he play when he's not rucking and who's spot does he take?

I disagree to a point.
The success of Brown has everyone thinking that the 2nd ruck is superfluous and changes the rotations needed with the sub.

I actually think Hudson will not carry the workload for more than 2 or 3 weeks at a time.

If we compare to other years we simply need to change the rotations of the players who are lesser runners so that they stay on the ground more.

You know I rate Will as a ruckman and I feel strongly that using 2 proper powerful ruckman will give us an advantage late in games at the clearances.

I guess as mere supporters we will just have to watch how it unfolds.

AndrewP6
27-03-2011, 01:00 AM
I'm slow off the mark, but I just checked Rocket's team announcement on the website. I think this is a terrific initiative from the club. Kind of gives you the feeling of being in the inner sanctum, and good to hear some of the coach's thoughts. Good one Bulldogs!

LostDoggy
27-03-2011, 10:42 AM
It seems most of the games have been won by the fitter team so far this round. While I haven't agreed completely with the team selections, it certainly looks like we aren't taking any unfit players in. I hope I am tipping my hat to the mc at the end of the game.

In rod we trust.

Ghost Dog
27-03-2011, 11:10 AM
It certainly looked that way with Adelaide last night. Really fit side.

LostDoggy
27-03-2011, 11:17 AM
I'm slow off the mark, but I just checked Rocket's team announcement on the website. I think this is a terrific initiative from the club. Kind of gives you the feeling of being in the inner sanctum, and good to hear some of the coach's thoughts. Good one Bulldogs!

Totally agree with you AP6. Look fwd to it every week now. :)

divvydan
27-03-2011, 01:01 PM
No late changes to either team.

Ess bench: Zaharakis, Lonergan, Howlett; Lovett-Murray (sub).
Dogs bench: Stack, Liberatore, Djerrkura; Sherman (sub).

Go_Dogs
27-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Sherman as the sub, interesting.

OLD SCRAGGer
27-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Wish Healy & Taylor would get names of players correct..keep calling Libba Wallis:mad:

Bulldog Joe
27-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Wel the use of a non ruckman to cover has again FAILED.

Please NEVER do this again.