PDA

View Full Version : Big job for Bulldog debutant

The Coon Dog
24-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Jen Witham - AFL Website - 24 March

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/Markovic246a.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs defender Lukas Markovic is preparing for a potential face-off with Essendon big man David Hille on Sunday in what will be his AFL debut.

The 24-year-old former Hawthorn rookie has been named in the Bulldogs' extended squad for the round one match and is thrilled at the prospect of facing the up-and-about Bombers.

In the absence of regular full back Brian Lake, who will miss after a limited pre-season, Markovic is anticipating matching up on Hille despite a huge nine centimetre and 13kg size difference between the two players.

Article in full... (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/109915/default.aspx)

Loved this bit:

Having grown up a Bulldogs' supporter under the influence of his father, Markovic said he was rapt to make his AFL debut in red, white and blue.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Glad to see we're not rushing players into the lineup, like we have for years on end.

Good Luck to Markovic, hopefully he plays well.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-03-2011, 07:35 PM
I'm sure he will do us proud and give David hill plenty to think about.

Do we think he will run off him or just try to cover him for the night.

Mantis
24-03-2011, 07:38 PM
I would have thought he would play on Hurley.

EasternWest
24-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Awesome. Good luck to him.

soupman
24-03-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm sure he will do us proud and give David hill plenty to think about.

Do we think he will run off him or just try to cover him for the night.

Based on the limited viewing I've seen of him (the short ANb games against North and Geelong plus the praccy against Brisbane) he pushes pretty far up the ground to provide a switching option. He's tidy on both feet, and looks to be a good mark. I'm quite interested to see how he goes in the real thing, but from what I've seen he's capable.

LostDoggy
24-03-2011, 09:22 PM
And I won't be surprised if he rotates through HF with Barlow , the other combination we might see is Tommy-G at FB with Sherminator at CHB , the Bombers will rotate Hille , Ryder and Bellchambers and we could be one tall player short , the use of Barlow in the backline to work with Markovic and Tommy-G could be enough to stop the Essendon talls.

Markovic was the obvious choice to replace Lake and I wish him all the best

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 01:35 AM
GG to Dermie on SEN talking about him saying he was on Richmonds list before he came to the Dogs. I was heavily offended by that comment. We ship our rejects to them! Not vice-versa :P

w3design
25-03-2011, 01:43 AM
I thought he was on Hawthorn's list, not Richmonds?

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 03:43 AM

Didn't he win a Box Hill B & F?

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 04:00 AM
Didn't he win a Box Hill B & F?

He was their Captain.

SlimPickens
25-03-2011, 09:35 AM
I would have thought he would play on Hurley.

What you're saying seems right to me, Hurley isn't the quickest bloke going around, this will help Markovic. It also frees up Morris to play on one of their crafty smalls like Monfries or Crameri.

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 10:22 AM

he was, thats y i was disgusted by his comment

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Last year I asked why Lucas wasn't getting a game. Too Slow, Skills not good enough, poor decision making.
Mmmmmmmmm
Looks like some people have joined my band wagon. :rolleyes:

Good Luck to jim & I hope Rocket rotates players all year so come September we are Fresh, Fit & Firing :D

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Good luck to Lucas - hope he has a solid game. Glad to see the MC haven't rushed Lake in.

Mofra
25-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Last year I asked why Lucas wasn't getting a game. Too Slow, Skills not good enough, poor decision making.
Mmmmmmmmm
Not sure about the skills bit even by reputation, his kicking at VFL level has generally been very good, especially for a big man.

If he breaks even with a Hille or a Hurley we should be exstatic - that would be an outstanding debut.

The Underdog
25-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Not sure about the skills bit even by reputation, his kicking at VFL level has generally been very good, especially for a big man.

If he breaks even with a Hille or a Hurley we should be exstatic - that would be an outstanding debut.

He certainly doesn't need to be a Lake clone. He just needs to play a decent negating game and not make any critical errors. Despite his more mature age, this is still his first game of AFL and we can't expect too much from him. It;s going to be up to the more experienced guys, particularly Williams to pick up the slack. Williams is going to have his hands full with Ryder/Hille and needs to have a strong game.

LongWait
25-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Good luck and congratulations Lucas - you've worked hard for this!

If Marcovic can stand up as an AFL standard key defender we then get the opportunity to occasionally play Lake or Marcovic as a swing man. I can imagine either playing the Nick Maxwell role down back and loved it when Lake pushed up forward a few times last year - the panic on the defenders faces was obvious (like a fox in the chook pen.)

Cyberdoggie
25-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Hopefully he has a good game,

If he plays on Hille i think he will struggle. He seemed to find it difficult against a larger and much stronger Hawkins in the NAB cup game, but has been pretty decent against players more his own size.

comrade
25-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Hopefully he has a good game,

If he plays on Hille i think he will struggle. He seemed to find it difficult against a larger and much stronger Hawkins in the NAB cup game, but has been pretty decent against players more his own size.

Hille hasn't had much of a pre-season so may not be his absolute best. If Markovic does have to take a turn on Hille, hopefully his footy smarts combined with Hille being a bit underdone means he'll at least break even.

That'd be a good result for us, but I reckon he may spend most of his time on Hurley anyway.

w3design
25-03-2011, 02:43 PM
So what his nickname?

Markovic sounds Serbian/Russian.

Lucas 'Stalin' Markovic- ruling the defensive 50 with an iron fist.

comrade
25-03-2011, 03:03 PM
So what his nickname?

Markovic sounds Serbian/Russian.

Lucas 'Stalin' Markovic- ruling the defensive 50 with an iron fist.

I like Drago.

"I defeat all man"

*I'm pretty sure Markovic is not Russian but whatever.

w3design
25-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Nicknames don't need to be entirely factual.

I like Drago. Favourite Rocky movie of the lot.

Desipura
25-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Im thinking his dad followed the doggies due to our colors being the same as his dad's country of origin flag.

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I like Drago.

"I defeat all man"

*I'm pretty sure Markovic is not Russian but whatever.

I must break you!

Pickenitup
25-03-2011, 07:54 PM
I believe his nickname is Horse

LostDoggy
26-03-2011, 01:07 AM
His name is most likely either Serbian or Croatian. Although Lukas is not really a name used in either of those countries.

LostDoggy
26-03-2011, 01:50 AM
He speaks well and sounds like he is well and truly ready. All the best Lucas.

AndrewP6
26-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Mmmmmmmmm
Looks like some people have joined my band wagon. :rolleyes:

Good Luck to jim & I hope Rocket rotates players all year so come September we are Fresh, Fit & Firing :D

His nickname is Jim?;):D

LostDoggy
26-03-2011, 12:14 PM
http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Markovic

He's ROMAN!

LostDoggy
26-03-2011, 12:24 PM

He's ROMAN!

I had a mate at soccer with surname Markovic who was Croatian

AndrewP6
26-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Here's Wikipedia's take on the name... including some famous Markovic's!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markovi%C4%87

LostDoggy
26-03-2011, 12:30 PM
I knew a Serbian who was called Markovic.

LostDoggy
26-03-2011, 12:32 PM
His nickname is Jim?;):D

H & J next to each other. I must wear my specs while typing, it may also pay to turn on a light as well :o

AndrewP6
26-03-2011, 01:01 PM
H & J next to each other. I must wear my specs while typing, it may also pay to turn on a light as well :o

Hahaha... I'm just stirring. I was at a mate's place for a Round 1 barbie last night, the messages I sent then were pretty hard to decipher too. At the time they seemed alright!

SonofScray
26-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Sounds Serbian to me, wonder if he is a Red Star or Partizan fan? Will make a big difference if I want him in the team or not :). Good luck to him, if he turns out a handful of quality games early that'll bring a lot of confidence to the fans re: the changing face of our back line.

Twodogs
26-03-2011, 02:56 PM

He's ROMAN!

Eastern Europe was were the remnants of the Roman Empire was pushed back to after the collapse of Rome in the 5th century. Thus most of the languages of that aprt of the World are refered to as Romantic languages, there are a people there refered to as Romany and there is a country in that area called Romania.

Oh yeah, and good luck to Lucas tomorrow.

bornadog
26-03-2011, 04:21 PM
, there are a people there refered to as Romany

Gypsies

LostDoggy
26-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Hahaha... I'm just stirring. I was at a mate's place for a Round 1 barbie last night, the messages I sent then were pretty hard to decipher too. At the time they seemed alright!

Always good to fein Dyslexsia after having a Frothy or 6 ;)

EasternWest
26-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Eastern Europe was were the remnants of the Roman Empire was pushed back to after the collapse of Rome in the 5th century. Thus most of the languages of that aprt of the World are refered to as Romantic languages, there are a people there refered to as Romany and there is a country in that area called Romania.

Oh yeah, and good luck to Lucas tomorrow.

This info is totally off thread. And I love it. You've no idea how many weapons you're gradually adding to my Trivial Pursuit arsenal TD.

MrMahatma
26-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Good luck to the kid. Opportunity awaits.

KT31
27-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Good luck to all the debutants for the Doggies today.
Going to be so great to yell , LIBBA again.

LostDoggy
27-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Thought he did a good enough job today, with the ball getting bombarded into the forward line like that.

SonofScray
27-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Agree. He probably broke even over the course of the day which was better than I had anticipated. I reckon if we can get a handful of similar games from him while Lake is out we'll be getting a decent return.