PDA

View Full Version : Opposition Game analysis Rnd 1

Ghost Dog
25-03-2011, 10:51 AM
A thread for breaking down opposition games in relation to their threat to the WB. Key opposition players, other comments.
Which players / tactics could pose a threat.

round 1

Calrton
Judd again just dominates. Can be so damaging.
Great midfield, Murphy next most damaging player. Garlett - handy, Scotland Armfield. handy but not game changers.
Forward line is unsteady in front of gaol. Hampson, tall target but not highly skilled. They decided to make Walker a foward but also lacks skills and we should be able to negate him. In short, Dale, Brian, Tom should do well against them.

Richmondshould pose no threat to the dogs. should have never been allowed to challenge. Let in the door by some poor kicking. Opposite to Carlton, they have some handy Defensive and forward players but a pretty weak midfield by top 8 AFL standards. Deledio, despite a few clangers, is reliable. Reiwoldt is a freak. Negate the influence of those two and can't see them getting far. They do have some height and a few times were able to kick it in well using this advantage.

Talking point
Sub Rule - Jarrad Waite concussed. for a period of about 4 minutes, was given the once over by medicos. During this time, Carlton had just two players on the interchange. Kane Lucas was their choice in the green bib. All clubs will have to deal with this at some stage.

SlimPickens
25-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I find Murphy and Gibbs to be downhill skiers. When Carlton were struggling last night they both went missing. Murphy loves running forward, pushing back however he is not nearly as willing.

The sub rule and how it is bet used was not cleared up for me last night. Losing Waite clearly hurt carltons structure. Richmond clearly had a strategy to ease foley back in to senior footy.

Ghost Dog
25-03-2011, 11:43 AM
I find Murphy and Gibbs to be downhill skiers. When Carlton were struggling last night they both went missing. Murphy loves running forward, pushing back however he is not nearly as willing.

The sub rule and how it is bet used was not cleared up for me last night. Losing Waite clearly hurt carltons structure. Richmond clearly had a strategy to ease foley back in to senior footy.

Agree. Yarran was also nowhere to be seen.
(BTW, Slimpicken, your Avatar pic is my fav on woof...Liam's expression is like..."Huh Whadidi do?"

Remi Moses
25-03-2011, 02:56 PM
Only saw the first half.
Classic case of a team almost being punished for not iceing the game.
To many Carlton players run one way,and still to reliant on Judd. Heard Paul Roos say Carlton are going nowhere if Juddy wind the B+F.Agree entirely
Richmond are to reliant on Riewoldt and teams will double and triple team him if the Toiges don't find more options!In fairness Carlton did have a few KPP players out.
In summary Toiges to finish Bottom 4 and the cheats to finish bottom of the Eight at best.

LostDoggy
25-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Was Henderson injured cos I can't believe he didn't play Carlton's forward line looks weak without him.

Remi Moses
25-03-2011, 09:03 PM
When is Ross Lyon going to be arrested for bringing the game into disrepute?
Honestly 2.9 to 1.7 at half time

hujsh
25-03-2011, 09:30 PM

A 'crimes against football' law would be interesting but it's not yet a reality.

The Coon Dog
25-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Honestly 2.9 to 1.7 at half time

I HATE Saints Footy with a passion!!!!!!!!!!

Remi Moses
25-03-2011, 09:39 PM
A 'crimes against football' law would be interesting but it's not yet a reality.

Absolute joke this game!! Going to make an early call but I think the Cats have slipped in a major way. Just wondering what happened to Lyon's more attacking football mantra.
:rolleyes:

comrade
25-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Absolute joke this game!! Going to make an early call but I think the Cats have slipped in a major way. Just wondering what happened to Lyon's more attacking football mantra.
:rolleyes:

Cats look like they're trying to play exactly the same game plan as the past 3 years. Handball through congestion, using the corridor at all costs. What has Scott been doing all summer?

Without Gaz (and Selwood) they look terrible.

The Coon Dog
25-03-2011, 09:50 PM
I never ever thought watching South Africa play cricket would be more exciting than watching footy!

G-Mo77
25-03-2011, 09:53 PM
I've shut up for the night. :o

Seriously if I didn't love The Doggies so much I'd hardly watch the AFL.

The Coon Dog
25-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Good result with the Saints losing by 1 point!

G-Mo77
25-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Curiosity got the better of me and I'm glad I turned it back on.

A big middle finger to the St. Kilda Football Club.

HA HA!!! :D

Sedat
25-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Dirty, wretched game style. Imagine having to watch that every week as a supporter. Never thought I'd say this in a million years, but thank God the Pies won the flag last season. But for one crooked bounce of the ball and one lucky toe poke, this style of footy would have won the last 2 flags, and every other team would have aped it.

Tonight's game would have knocked off $1 million from the TV rights asking price

Ghost Dog
25-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Ok, so the first half was like watching sheep's bums at a water hole, but the second half had some good footy, with all the roll of the dice when two close rivals play. Reiwoldt and Mooney should get together and discuss kicking styles. The 'no peeking' method seems to be working out well for St Nick.

If Saints lose by a point, I don't mind watching it.

Cats V Saints

Cats will be no pushover this year.
May not miss Ablett too much afterall.
Scarlett, elbows as pointy as ever, (has a very good record on Barry.) Steve J, Varco, Bartell, heaps of quality there we're all familiar with and some capable younsters.
Missing Ling, Chapman, Selwood (90% of game) and Ablett, still play the familiar 'high risk' run and carry. Our forward line is better on paper IMO. Cam mooney can't kick and loves giving frees, Hawkins was ineffective tonight - tends to flail around a lot.

Saints
who'd be a saints supporter eh?
we may outrun them this season. In the second half they looked pretty gassed out.
Kept the cats out in the first half but the new sub rule may work against their playing style (let's hope).
Things opened up in the second. How to beat the press around the stoppage? Love the way, a few times, cats players were able to stand up in the tackle, weathered the Saints press gang for a few extra seconds and shot the ball off calmly with two or three opponents in tow. Bigger bodied than our midfielders (bar Cooney).

Remi Moses
26-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Disagree entirely on Geelong missing Ablett.
Well done on writing even a summary on that piffle that was dished up!
Thought Gilbert was great up forward, err hang on he played back(could have sworn I heard Lyon say he was playing forward)Stkilda need some youth urgently they look tired and that shit ultra defensive gameplan looks like it's taking it's toll

Ghost Dog
26-03-2011, 12:03 AM
I did say 'toooooo much'.
They won't be easy beats for us, s'all I'm sain' ait mon?

LostDoggy
26-03-2011, 12:16 AM
Tipped Geelong, happy saints lost but glad I didn't watch it. I can't stand saints footy, i will enjoy it more when they lose though.

That's a pretty negative comment sorry but that should have been game of the round. Were the conditions very bad?

LostDoggy
26-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Haven't seen a second of a fame tgis week, waiting for 2morra :D

GO DOGS :D

LostDoggy
26-03-2011, 08:24 AM
^^^^
Game this week (should turn a light on)

Mantis
26-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Haven't seen a second of a fame tgis week, waiting for 2morra :D

Any chance you could ditch the shorthand crap as it's really annoying?

Ghost Dog
26-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Tipped Geelong, happy saints lost but glad I didn't watch it. I can't stand saints footy, i will enjoy it more when they lose though.

That's a pretty negative comment sorry but that should have been game of the round. Were the conditions very bad?

Personally, I enjoyed it. Was a very close game in the end and opened up. Some may disagree, but feel the sub rule may be the right call afterall.

LostDoggy
26-03-2011, 04:11 PM
Personally, I enjoyed it. Was a very close game in the end and opened up. Some may disagree, but feel the sub rule may be the right call afterall.

The current sub rule 1/3 just complicates things eithers go 4 subs or 4 interchange not 1/3.

comrade
26-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Nice to see the Hawks go down tonight. Adelaide tore them to shreds on the rebound and what was Clarkson thinking subbing off Sewell who was dominating the clearances?

Way too much hype for a team so poorly performed since they fluked a premiership.

Dangerfield is a very nice player to watch.

SlimPickens
26-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Agree. Yarran was also nowhere to be seen.
(BTW, Slimpicken, your Avatar pic is my fav on woof...Liam's expression is like..."Huh Whadidi do?"

It combines my love for how Liam Picken plays and my hatred for how Joel Selwood initiates high contact and gets free kicks for it.

I got sucked in by Yarrans preseason form, he was mostly unsighted. I don't think we'll have much to be concerned about when we face the Tiges or Carlton.

comrade
26-03-2011, 11:34 PM
It combines my love for how Liam Picken plays and my hatred for how Joel Selwood initiates high contact and gets free kicks for it.

I got sucked in by Yarrans preseason form, he was mostly unsighted. I don't think we'll have much to be concerned about when we face the Tiges or Carlton.

Did you enjoy the hit he copped from our old mate Farren?

Ghost Dog
26-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Didn't see all of the game.
Crows can move it, and they look like the Eagles of old, all bronzed and oiled like spartans.
Porplezia out after what looked like a rather inocuous tackle. Said to be heard screaming from the changerooms. ouch.
Others get a mention, Taylor Walker, Dangerfield, but their youngsters were revved up, very impressed with Rory Sloane. Like a blonde fraggle, that mop of his bobbing up all over the place.

Real question marks over Hawthorn's abilities to play four quarters of high intensity footy.
Buddy Franklin - as good as he is bad. One of his set shots was a laugh out loud moment.
Feel confident we (WB) can match both these teams at both ends of the ground and in the middle.

BUT AMMI is going to be the new Cattery this season one feels. They came back from quite a long way and that takes guts.
What is it about Gibson? He looks like an X factor type but seems easily beaten? Hope they stick with him.

The Coon Dog
27-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Didn't watch the Bris v Freo game but I heard that Brown & Staker were injured & couldn't come back on. I don't wish ill of players unless we play them the following week & only then do I hope their injury is a 1 weeker. Anyone know the extent of the injuries on these 2?

Remi Moses
27-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Watched a bit of each game.initial reports are Staker's hurt his kneecap and Brown has a facial injury. Brisbane copped a raw deal from the umps at the end. I think Hawthorn still haven't addressed their weakness in the run dept.Not a fan of their ruck dept or Backline!

Ghost Dog
27-03-2011, 12:30 AM
Didn't watch the Bris v Freo game but I heard that Brown & Staker were injured & couldn't come back on. I don't wish ill of players unless we play them the following week & only then do I hope their injury is a 1 weeker. Anyone know the extent of the injuries on these 2?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/facial-injury-puts-brown-in-hospital-20110326-1cbdq.html

Says his nose is shattered - James Hird type injury that could see him out for some weeks. The pic on the AGE is awful. His head looks half buried in the turf.

Desipura
27-03-2011, 07:35 AM

Browny also did not play last seasons home game against us!

The Underdog
27-03-2011, 07:44 AM
Nice to see the Hawks go down tonight. Adelaide tore them to shreds on the rebound and what was Clarkson thinking subbing off Sewell who was dominating the clearances?

Way too much hype for a team so poorly performed since they fluked a premiership.

Dangerfield is a very nice player to watch.

Dangerfield looked like he's going to turn what has previously been mainly potential into some quality football. He's always had big wraps but hasn't always got a lot of the footy.
I like Rory Sloane a lot and their young talls are better than I thought. Davis and McKernan were good. They've got a lot of talls with good hands.
That being said, hawthorn should have had the game won by half time, they dominated but couldn't put it on the scoreboard.

The Adelaide Connection
27-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Dangerfield looked like he's going to turn what has previously been mainly potential into some quality football. He's always had big wraps but hasn't always got a lot of the footy.
I like Rory Sloane a lot and their young talls are better than I thought. Davis and McKernan were good. They've got a lot of talls with good hands.
That being said, hawthorn should have had the game won by half time, they dominated but couldn't put it on the scoreboard.

Went to the game last night and my thoughts pretty much echo your sentiments. Dangerfield really is something else and he is still only 20. Walker continued the stereotype of "immensely talented bu extremely dumb footballer" tag. Passes when he should shoot, shoots when he should pass but was lucky that a few of his dodgy ones came off. Won't happen every week.
He could be a Coleman medallist if he reached his potential every week.

Thought Knights was good but was amazed how thin he is looking. Maybe its just the hair?

Was very strange to see them playing the chorus of that Bon Jovi NRL song after every Crows goal. Do they realise it's the official NRL song? Are they saying "hey, you should be at home watching the NRL".

bornadog
27-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Was very strange to see them playing the chorus of that Bon Jovi NRL song after every Crows goal. Do they realise it's the official NRL song? Are they saying "hey, you should be at home watching the NRL".

That would be annoying playing something after every goal, especially Bon Jovi:D

The Underdog
27-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Walker continued the stereotype of "immensely talented bu extremely dumb footballer" tag. Passes when he should shoot, shoots when he should pass but was lucky that a few of his dodgy ones came off. Won't happen every week.
He could be a Coleman medallist if he reached his potential every week.

I actually came out of it thinking they might not be that much worse off if he signs with GWS, if they can get decent compensation. With Tippet and McKernan I'm not sure he'd be that badly missed. He certainly does some stupid things and his kicking at goal is a lottery.

I know one game is an irrelevant sample size but the Crows looked far further along than I thought they were.

SlimPickens
27-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Watched a bit of each game.initial reports are Staker's hurt his kneecap and Brown has a facial injury. Brisbane copped a raw deal from the umps at the end. I think Hawthorn still haven't addressed their weakness in the run dept.Not a fan of their ruck dept or Backline!

Agree 100% with this. Hawthorn midfield is incredibly slow. I think the lined up with Sewell, Mitchell and Burgoyne at the opening bounce last night. Rioli is quick and the drafted Isac Smith (didn't play) who is a jet but apart from that I don't see how they have improved their speed around the ground.

Maddog37
27-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Tag danger field out and they lack any other really game breaking players. They are a professional unit no doubt.

Add hodge into that team and they would have won IMO so hawks will be handy enough. They rookied Paul Johnston for a reason though. Rucks are suspect and Bailey is their great white hope but injury prone to the max. If they had a jolly type they would be very strong.

Freos kids looked good again and pav and sandilands were very influential.

SlimPickens
27-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Did you enjoy the hit he copped from our old mate Farren?

That was sickening, although i don't think what Farren did was wrong at all. Two blokes going hard at the footy, i was surprised that Farren went that hard however!;)

Ghost Dog
27-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Tag danger field out and they lack any other really game breaking players. They are a professional unit no doubt.

Not sure . Carlton has a few game breakers. Doesn't seem to do them much good.
A very fit team of nonames who kicks straight may get the job done.

Was an anniversary event for the crows pumped up with their Bon Jovi and home crowd.
See how they do on the road.

azabob
27-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Tag danger field out and they lack any other really game breaking players. They are a professional unit no doubt.l.

Porplysia (spelling?) is an out and out game breaker, but spends more time off the ground injured than on it.

azabob
27-03-2011, 12:14 PM
I actually came out of it thinking they might not be that much worse off if he signs with GWS, if they can get decent compensation. With Tippet and McKernan I'm not sure he'd be that badly missed. He certainly does some stupid things and his kicking at goal is a lottery.

I know one game is an irrelevant sample size but the Crows looked far further along than I thought they were.

Walker seems to be a good number one, and a poor number two if that makes sense.

Matt Rendal is a very good talent spotter and obviously has a good team around the country. They seem to have a bit of success with the rookie draft.

They have a very good bunch of talls and also have Daniel Talia to come.

EasternWest
27-03-2011, 06:01 PM
That was sickening, although i don't think what Farren did was wrong at all. Two blokes going hard at the footy, i was surprised that Farren went that hard however!;)

Don't know that's entirely fair. Farren's not the hardest player going around, but I never though of him as a squib.

Otherwise I agree, two guys putting their heads over it, no malice in it.